The year of living Disney TR - Winter edition! Update! 11/27/17 mini November trip report

First of all, :bday:!!!

Thanks so much Su-Lynn! :hug:

Aww, congratulations grandparents! She is beautiful, and I love her name!

She is pretty darn cute!

Good luck! But you probably don't need it as it's totally easy to do that with the Express Bus.

I remember you saying that you really liked using it. I don't think we would be able to do all 4 parks without it. We are going to try to do just one or two rides at each park, plus I just snagged a BOG diner res. For tomorrow night :hyper:

Are you gonna attempt to see the fireworks on July 3rd?

Yes, we will he in MK on the 3rd. Hope it's not crazy insane crowded!

I promise to post pics when we return

I remember you saying that you really liked using it. I don't think we would be able to do all 4 parks without it. We are going to try to do just one or two rides at each park, plus I just snagged a BOG diner res. For tomorrow night :hyper:

That's awesome!! Pixie dusted before you even got there! :wizard:

Yes, we will he in MK on the 3rd. Hope it's not crazy insane crowded!

I promise to post pics when we return

Can't wait! I've never seen the 4th of July fireworks ever!

Congratulations on your granddaughter. She is beautiful!!!!!! Hope you all have a great trip

Happy Belated Birthday! I did see that on FB but I'm really bad at wishing people happy bd on there :o I hope it was great!
And congrats on your beautiful granddaughter! My oldest stepson should be getting married soon (we hope, very long engagement so far) and I'm more than ready to be a YOUNG grandmother lol.

We are staying just three nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village.
We stayed in Jambo last year and Kidani this past May. I love AKL and while we preferred Jambo I liked Kidani, so I hope you're enjoying your short trip! Regardless of length any Disney trip is worth it :goodvibes

Hi guys! We are back and are feeling the full effects of the Disney hangover today! Back at work... it was a great trip; interesting but great. I'll be filling y'all in on the details soon!

Pixie dusted before you even got there! :wizard:

Well I thought so, but it didn't quite turn out the way I'd planned

I've never seen the 4th of July fireworks ever!

More to come on that one too! :rolleyes1

Congratulations on your granddaughter. She is beautiful!!!!!! Hope you all have a great trip

Thanks so much Kari!

Happy Belated Birthday! I did see that on FB but I'm really bad at wishing people happy bd on there :o I hope it was great!
And congrats on your beautiful granddaughter! My oldest stepson should be getting married soon (we hope, very long engagement so far) and I'm more than ready to be a YOUNG grandmother lol.

Thanks!! And of course I'm a VERY young Grandma too... :p

I love AKL and while we preferred Jambo I liked Kidani, so I hope you're enjoying your short trip! Regardless of length any Disney trip is worth

We liked Kidani, hella long walk to our room though! Love the vibe of the hotel and our room was nice. I'd like to stay at Jambo House someday. It's just so far out there though. If we were doing more resort time rather than park commando time I think it would have been better.

Hope you'e having a super amazing quick trip!! Kidani is niiiiiice!!

Trip was great, interesting though. Just a few bumps on the road..but it all ended up awesome. Hope your son in law is doing ok! :hug:

It started with my IPad being glitchy and it was frustrating me because I could never finish reading a thread or start replying without it constantly refreshing itself,

It's not your iPad. It's the DIS and their wonderful, resource hogging, Apple crashing ads.

In real life news our Granddaughter was born May 15, and she is 6 weeks old already, boy how time flies!

Congratulations!!!

Isn't Bob a cute Grandpa?!

::yes::

In Disney news we are leaving TOMORROW!!!

Hi guys! We are back and are feeling the full effects of the Disney hangover today! Back at work... it was a great trip; interesting but great. I'll be filling y'all in on the details soon!

Oh, man. I go away for a couple of weeks and miss your entire trip!

Interesting, hmm? Can't wait to hear all about it! :)

Trip was great, interesting though. Just a few bumps on the road..but it all ended up awesome. Hope your son in law is doing ok! :hug:

Thanks, Kelly! First off, "interesting" sounds just that. I'll be looking forward to hearing more about that.

He's at least home now and is probably getting better sleep. He's able to walk short distances but has a wheelchair at home for a while.

It's not your iPad. It's the DIS and their wonderful, resource hogging, Apple crashing ads.

Is that what is is?!?! Super frustrating.

Congratulations

Thanks!

Oh, man. I go away for a couple of weeks and miss your entire trip!

No worries, I missed your entire trip to Vegas, so we are even Steven. :)

He's at least home now and is probably getting better sleep. He's able to walk short distances but has a wheelchair at home for a while.

That's good to hear! What a scary thing.

DisneyWorld in the Summer
Surprise! It's hot! Not news to you? Well it really wasn't a surprise for us either, so we went in prepared for battle.

Warning.... wordy post up ahead...

Travel Day
But let's back up just a bit and I'll fill you in on "The Plan" ( que ominous music). We had originally booked a flight out of DEN for Saturday afternoon, July 1 because Bob and I both had clients booked for that morning and we needed to work half a day. Our original flight left at 3:45pm which got us into MCO around 9ish. Well my schedule at work imploded ( which means I had cancellations) :) and I was able to switch my and Kiya's flight to a 7:30 am flight and Bob would work half the day and catch the afternoon flight and meet up with us in the evening. Cool! Kiya and I would get most of the day to play and we decided we would try and hit at least one ride at all 4 parks before Bob arrived. Plus I had snagged a last minute ADR at BOG for 5:00. No problem. Or so I thought.

So since we needed to be at the airport early ( we live about an hour away) Bob decided to splurge and get us a room up in Denver for the night near the airport. We found an awesome deal on The interwebs at the Westin right at the airport

IMG_2317.JPG
IMG_2321.JPG

It's super modern and as you can see the light rail comes right into the hotel.

It was most certainly a splurge but it was by birthday so what the heck!!

We had a nice night and got up the next morning, said "see ya real soon" to Bob and Kiya and I set off on our Mom/Daughter half day adventure.

Since we were a mere steps from the airport terminal we took our time to get through security and to our gate, just giving us about 30 minutes or so before boarding time. Everyone is happy, spirits are high and we get to the gate and I notice that it is strangely empty just 30 minutes to boarding :confused3. And then I see it in the board. Your flight that was supposed to take off at 7:45am is now delayed to 11:30 due to a mechanical issue. We are waiting for a part to be flown in so they can fix the plane.

:eek::mad:>:(:guilty::scared1::sad:

I was pretty shattered. I could see our "4 park challenge" hitting the fan. Plus there was no way we were going to make it to BOG for dinner.

While I sat for a minute and wallowed in my own sadness Kiya was a supreme trooper. "Mom, things happen and it's all going to be ok"." We can still try to do at least 3 parks." This kid is awesome.

So we played in the airport for 4 hours, got some sushi. Yes! Denver Airport has good sushi!

IMG_2323.JPG

And Finally!! The plane is fixed! Ok, my overly anxiety ridden inner voice says that dang plane BETTER BE FIXED and off we go. Oh by the time we get in the plane Bob is on his way to the airport to catch his flight that leaves just 3 hours later. So much for the head start.

Flight is good and uneventful until we get about 30 minutes outside of Orlando and the pilot comes on and makes the dreaded announcement.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, unfortunately right now MCO airport is closed due to weather in the area so we are going to hang out here for a while and circle until either the weather clears or they decide to divert us. I'll update you in about 30 minutes"

NICE

Did I throw off some bad Karma somewhere that I was getting payback for???

Up next....we finally arrive, I forget something important and the bad Karma is following Bob too!

Well, that's a sucky start! I"m inclined at first to say, "Shoot! Wasted money on a hotel you didn't need." But you know what you and Kiya made the best of it and had a great time together anyways. Sushi is always a win! I love her attitude- one I could emulate a bit more often!

Glad the plane got fixed, but uh-oh!! Weather diversions aren't fun at all!!

But let's back up just a bit and I'll fill you in on "The Plan" ( que ominous music). We had originally booked a flight out of DEN for Saturday afternoon, July 1 because Bob and I both had clients booked for that morning and we needed to work half a day. Our original flight left at 3:45pm which got us into MCO around 9ish. Well my schedule at work imploded ( which means I had cancellations) :) and I was able to switch my and Kiya's flight to a 7:30 am flight and Bob would work half the day and catch the afternoon flight and meet up with us in the evening. Cool! Kiya and I would get most of the day to play and we decided we would try and hit at least one ride at all 4 parks before Bob arrived. Plus I had snagged a last minute ADR at BOG for 5:00. No problem. Or so I thought.

That sounds like an awesome plan!

img_2321-jpg.252947

It's super modern and as you can see the light rail comes right into the hotel.

ooooh super nice! Much better than the Hyatt Orlando Airport!

Since we were a mere steps from the airport terminal we took our time to get through security and to our gate, just giving us about 30 minutes or so before boarding time. Everyone is happy, spirits are high and we get to the gate and I notice that it is strangely empty just 30 minutes to boarding :confused3. And then I see it in the board. Your flight that was supposed to take off at 7:45am is now delayed to 11:30 due to a mechanical issue. We are waiting for a part to be flown in so they can fix the plane.

What the....AAAAACCK! NOOOOO!!!

I was pretty shattered. I could see our "4 park challenge" hitting the fan. Plus there was no way we were going to make it to BOG for dinner.

While I sat for a minute and wallowed in my own sadness Kiya was a supreme trooper. "Mom, things happen and it's all going to be ok"." We can still try to do at least 3 parks." This kid is awesome.

Aww how sweet. I like how Kiya is being the mature adult here. I would have thrown a hissy fit at the airport. :furious:

So we played in the airport for 4 hours, got some sushi. Yes! Denver Airport has good sushi!

Good to know!!

She's ready for battle, with the plane!

"Ladies and Gentlemen, unfortunately right now MCO airport is closed due to weather in the area so we are going to hang out here for a while and circle until either the weather clears or they decide to divert us. I'll update you in about 30 minutes"

:eek::crazy2::headache::mad:

Up next....we finally arrive, I forget something important and the bad Karma is following Bob too!

Oh no!! :eek:

Kiya and I would get most of the day to play and we decided we would try and hit at least one ride at all 4 parks before Bob arrived.

Ambitious!

Plus I had snagged a last minute ADR at BOG for 5:00. No problem. Or so I thought.

Uh, oh....

It was most certainly a splurge but it was by birthday so what the heck!!

Good for you!
Good reason to splurge.

Your flight that was supposed to take off at 7:45am is now delayed to 11:30 due to a mechanical issue.

No! Well... poop.

No. Well, that just sucks.

"Mom, things happen and it's all going to be ok"." We can still try to do at least 3 parks." This kid is awesome.

Wow! Yes she is awesome. :)

Denver Airport has good sushi!

That sounds like an oxymoron.

Flight is good and uneventful

What you want to hear... after it's been repaired.
Not "And then the wing fell off".

Noooooo.....

Oof sounds like a rough travel day! All's well that ends with you in Disney! Looking forward to more!

A bit of a rough start, yes. But you are so right! All's well that ends with Disney!!

But you know what you and Kiya made the best of it and had a great time together anyways.

We did, and it was great to have a little bit of alone time with her.

I love her attitude- one I could emulate a bit more often!

Me too !!

ooooh super nice! Much better than the Hyatt Orlando Airport!

It is really nice. But a splurge we won't do often for sure. Funny how we don't have any trouble spending $300/ night at Disney but at home it's like :faint:

Aww how sweet. I like how Kiya is being the mature adult here. I would have thrown a hissy fit at the airport.

Me too, and I did my fare share of pouting. But what are ya gonna do?? Good thing I have a level headed 9 year old to set me straight :p

Ambitious

Yes it was an ambitious plan. We were going to use the express bus to get us around. Guess being late saved me the $40 for the express bus though.

No. Well, that just sucks.

Kinda just a little

That sounds like an oxymoron.

It does, doesn't it?

What you want to hear... after it's been repaired.

After we were in the air for about 30 minutes the pilot came on and said it was a hydraulic issue. Yep, thanks for fixing that! :)

Yes it was an ambitious plan. We were going to use the express bus to get us around. Guess being late saved me the $40 for the express bus though.

The airline did it on purpose. They were just trying to save you a little money.

After we were in the air for about 30 minutes the pilot came on and said it was a hydraulic issue. Yep, thanks for fixing that! :)

"Ladies and gentlemen. Thanks for your patience. We're pretty sure that hydraulic issue is all sorted out. We'll find out when we get to 35,000 feet."

First and foremost, happy belated birthday!!!!! What fun to stay at the airport hotel before the trip. We have a 6am flight for our next disney extravaganza and its at the airport thats about 30 minutes away (traffic withstanding). I'll have to look into a hotel as that seems like a great idea.

I can't believe all the trouble you are having with travel. Fingers crossed you land in MCO soon!

The airline did it on purpose. They were just trying to save you a little money

It did and then some, details to come

Thanks for your patience. We're pretty sure that hydraulic issue is all sorted out. We'll find out when we get to 35,000 feet."

:scared1:

First and foremost, happy belated birthday!!!!

Thanks Kari!

We have a 6am flight for our next disney extravaganza and its at the airport thats about 30 minutes away (traffic withstanding). I'll have to look into a hotel as that seems like a great idea

I really like it, gets your vacation started a day early!

Travel day part 2
We left off making donuts in the plane at about 28,000ft. We did this for about 20 minutes and Mr. Pilot Man comes back and says "Good news!" The airport is back open, we will get you guys on the ground 30 minutes late. Ok dude you must have forgotten we are already 4 hours late from the get go. Oh well, we are finally landing!

I'm not sure what possessed us to check our bags without the magic yellow tags that would have them delivered to our hotel but we deplaned and made our way to bagge claim. Where we waited. And waited. And waited some more. Seems like everyone else has retrieved their bags and it was just us and two or three other folks waiting. Nothing like having your bags be the very last to arrive. :thumbsup2 Oh well, at least we had them in our hot little hands.

We made our way back over to side B to catch the ME and soon were on our way!
:woohoo:. While on the bus I had gotten the wonderful " your room is ready" email so we were able to bypass the desk, but first let's drop some folks off at AoA and Pop. Ok last off the bus. I see a trend forming here.
IMG_2325.JPG

Kidani Village look out! Here we come!

image.jpeg

So the new "plan" was to drop our stuff off at the room, look at it for 45 seconds, and I would change from my "travel day" backpack to my "park" drawstring backpack and we would catch the bus to Epcot where we would stop at guest relations and get our Annual Passes so we could park hop.

We walk the 10.8 miles from the lobby to our room
image.jpeg
The center of Kidani village is where the lobby is, if you walk left and keep going until next Tuesday that is where our room was. Seriously though, if you look left and go to where the bend is, about six "sections" down that's where we were. Poor people who where all the way at the end most have been dying. In all honesty I think it was a 8 minute walk, but it seemed like an endless hallway. They should have golf cart service or at least those moving sidewalks like you see at the airport to take people to their rooms here.

The room was beautiful though. Sorry but I took zero photos while it was still nice and clean and before hurricane Kiya hit it. We dropped off our bags, waved quickly at a giraffe outside ( cool!!) I switched backpacks and sprinted back down to the bus stop. The bus came fairly quickly and soon we were arriving at Epcot. We got in line at Guest Relations which was fairly short and then the fog of traveling lifted from my brain and I remembered I forgot to move my drivers license from my other backpack to his one. POOH! I can't get my AP without a photo ID and we only had a two day non park hopper ticket so there was no way we could park hop.

giphy.gif

Plan C! After a quick "what should we do now" chat we got back to Kidani as quickly as we could, walked the 13.4 miles back to our room, got my drivers license and hauled it back to the bus, but this time for Hollywood Studios. By this time it was about 8pm. Epcot closed at 9:00, so scrap that plan, Hollywood closed at 9:30. So we could still get there, got our AP thing finally sorted and ride one or two things, skip MK because it closed at 10:00. Sidebar...what's with the early park closings during the Summer??? Anyhow, the AP thing took some time, naturally, and we hot footed it over to ToT to see if we could get on. Current time was 9:00pm. Bob's plane was landing just as we were getting on our first ride. :laughing:

ToT was a walk on, which was awesome, so we rode once and decided it was now a 2 park challenge!! And left HS as Star Wars fireworks boomed overhead. We got right in the bus to Animal Kingdom ( hey maybe our luck is changing!) and went right towards Everest, rode twice and then grabbed a snack at Flame Tree BBQ.

IMG_0182.JPG

Pulled pork cheese fries to the rescue!! They are so awesome. If you have not had these yet shame on you. Go directly to Flame Tree next time you are at AK and get them. Maybe get two. After a quick snack we went over to Pandora to check it out. Ok guys, I am not an avatar fan but this place is cool!! We choose to do the Na'vi river journey, which was about a 40 minute wait and then go back to Kidani and call it a day.

We got back to the room about 12:30 am and started to get ready for bed. Bob had arrived at MCO, picked up the rental car and went to Disney Springs to get something to eat, his MB was jacked up and wouldn't work for the dining plan, so he just said #forgetaboutit and drove to the hotel.

Now in some DVC studios all you have is a queen bed and a pull out sofa bed. I go to make up the sofa bed for Kiya and it pulls out about half way and gets stuck. Nnnooooooooo!!!! 1:00am and Bob has to walk the 17.4 miles back to the front desk, after he had just been there trying to figure out why his MB wasn't working at Disney Springs and tell them our sofa bed is jacked up and we have a tired 9 year old super girl that is ready to expire.

1:30 am and there's a knock on our door and an angel from Heaven in the form of a handyman fixes the sofa bed and then the phone rings.....

Who the %#*^ is calling us at this ungodly hour???????

Coming up... mimosas make everything better

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!