They Came With Ma & Pa to Escape Mardi Gras! A February 2020 TR * 7/1 Aulani TR Started & Link Posted

khertz

DIS Veteran
They Came With Ma & Pa to Escape Mardi Gras!
A February WDW TR

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!

A Kingdom full of endless dreams for every girl and boy
Wondrous land of make believe will fill your heart with joy!
A castle leads the entrance way to seven lands and more
Step inside our storybook, imagine what’s in store!

It’s all pure magic wrapped up in pixie dust
Welcome to a place where dreams come true
A timeless journey through lands of fantasy!
Where only a wish creates things like this to appear

The MOST MAGICAL PLACE ON EARTH is here!

We have had a long run of “other” trips lately, so it feels GREAT to be back on the Walt Disney World TR board! I think my last one was in 2016!! :eek:

Maybe you remember us, and have even been following along with my other TRs, but maybe you don’t have a clue who we are. So, let’s do some introductions!

First up is me! I am the TR writer, contributing a handful of photos from my iPhone when I remembered to take them. I’m a pediatric hematology/oncology nurse by trade, but a HUGE all-things-Disney fan in my free time! This was my 19th trip to WDW, and I have also been lucky enough to visit Disneyland 4 times, Disneyland Paris once, as well as experiencing 1 Disney Cruise Line cruise and 1 Adventures by Disney trip to Italy. My Disney favorites would include Splash Mountain, Rapunzel, the Peoplemover, Mickey Premium Bars, Via Napoli, and meeting characters.

IMG_3028
by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Next up is DH, the photographer in our TR duo. He works in the oil field but loves Disney as much as I do! This was his 18th WDW trip, and he has also visited Disneyland 5 times, plus he was my travel partner on our Disneyland Paris, ABD, and DCL trips. His Disney favorites would include Donald Duck, Big Thunder Mountain, Dole Whip floats, the Enchanted Tiki Room, and Sci-Fi Dine In.

IMG_2975

DS is our Disney-loving son who has grown up Disney. He is 9 years old, and a little bit of a fraidy cat when it comes to new (to him) rides, which was somewhat of an issue several times in particular during this trip. This was his 10th trip, and he has also been to Disneyland 3 times, and on our 1 DCL vacation. His Disney favorites are Pluto, churros, Space Mountain, Wilderness Explorers, Flight of Passage and Pandora: the World of Avatar.

DD rounds out our family of 4 and she also happens to be 4 years old. She proved to be incredibly adventurous this trip, which was almost like her very first trip although it was actually her 6th! The first 5 trips she took were from the time she was 3 months old to 15 months old, so she doesn’t remember any of it. She has been to Disneyland once which she also doesn’t remember because she was just shy of 2 at the time, and she was on our DCL vacation which she LOVED (I mean, we all did, but she really really loved the cruise, so I hoped the parks would live up to her expectations). Her Disney favorites would include all of the princesses, Frozen, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Big Thunder Mountain, Mickey Premium Bars, and Rivers of Light.

Our trip took place from February 22nd-29th during the kids’ Mardi Gras break from school. I was a bit nervous about this, since the last time we had visited during Mardi Gras break with other family members, we commented several times that it was so crowded, we were happy this wasn’t our only trip for the year.

We were staying for the first time on our own DVC points after becoming owners via the resale market in early 2019. Our home resort is Animal Kingdom Villas-Jambo House, and we had booked there originally when we got to our 11 month window, but when 7 months rolled around and we could book other resorts, Copper Creek Villas at Wilderness Lodge was available, so we switched there. We stayed in a 1 bedroom villa for 7 nights, and had 5 day park hoppers.

I look forward to sharing all of our wonderful Disney memories with you!

Last edited:
Links

Friday February 21st
Day 0:
On the Road Again

Saturday February 22nd
Day 1 Part 1:
Welcome Home!
Day 1 Part 2: Home Away From Home

Sunday February 23rd
Day 2 Part 1:
Magic Moment at Magic Kingdom
Day 2 Part 2: Storybook Circus
Day 2 Part 3: The Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!
Day 2 Part 4: Oh the Birds Sing Words & the Flowers Croon
Day 2 Part 5: I'm A Beautiful Butterfly!
Day 2 Part 6: Viva Italia

Monday February 24th
Day 3 Part 1:
Garden Grill
Day 3 Part 2: A Whole Lotta Joy!
Day 3 Part 3: Frozen Fever
Day 3 Part 4: Fish Are Friends, Not Food
Day 3 Part 5:
Our Spaceship Earth
Day 3 Part 6: Welcome to My Park!
Day 3 Part 7: A Nightmare Fantasmic

Tuesday February 25th
Day 4 Part 1:
Pandora Morning
Day 4 Part 2: Dino Bash
Day 4 Part 3: Definitely Not Our Dino
Day 4 Part 4: On Safari
Day 4 Part 5: Banshee Flight
Day 4 Part 6: Under the Sea
Day 4 Part 7: Happily Ever After

Wednesday February 26th
Day 5 Part 1:
Pool Slides & Hidden Mickeys
Day 5 Part 2: Riviera Resort
Day 5 Part 3: Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue
Day 5 Part 4:
Straw! Berry! Short! Cake!

Thursday February 27th
Day 6 Part 1:
Mine Train Morning
Day 6 Part 2: Princess Fairytale Hall
Day 6 Part 3: Bountiful Breakfast
Day 6 Part 4: Totally Tomorrowland
Day 6 Part 5: Welcome Foolish Mortals
Day 6 Part 6: On Safari...Again
Day 6 Part 7: The Wilderness Must Be Explored!

Friday February 28th
Day 7 Part 1: A Magical Morning
Day 7 Part 2: Adventureland Fun
Day 7 Part 3: Harmony Barber Shop
Day 7 Part 4: Can't Hold It Back Anymore
Day 7 Part 5: Dashing With Slinky Dog!
Day 7 Part 6: Blue Mickey Head of Shame
Day 7 Part 7: Swirlin' Saucers
Day 7 Part 8: See Ya Real Soon

Feburary Wrap Up

Last edited:
Day 0: Friday February 21st

The day we left for WDW, the morning started off sort of normally. We still had to get up early to get the kids ready for and dropped off at school. But DH and I had taken the day off, so we had a few hours to finish packing and get the car loaded up. At noon, I went to pick the kids up early. After checking them out in the office, I had to wait for the kids to come up to the front. DD got to me first and several people stopped to talk to her and she would tell them where we were going. Every time that happened, she would turn to me at the end of the conversation and say, “Mom, let’s go!!” So I had to keep reminding her we had to wait for her brother. Lol I brought them home to change clothes before we hit the road around 1 pm.

DD took an incredibly short nap, but I thought it was hilarious that she fell asleep with her foot in her cup holder.

IMG_8913

I had a missed call from a Kissimmee number as soon as we got in the car, and asked DH if he thought it might be something from Disney and if I should call back. He said no, it was probably a timeshare call because he gets those a lot. I wondered aloud if that was really it since it seemed very coincidental that I never get those and yet today I got a call from a Florida number when we were heading there, but ultimately decided to ignore it. It will be important later to note that I had my cellular data turned completely off to make sure we didn’t go over for the month.

We stopped a little early for dinner at a Dairy Queen, then got back on the road and soon came to a stop for a huge wreck. DH asked me to turn my data on to check the Maps app on my phone since he was driving. It was after doing that that a voicemail popped up from that same Kissimmee number that had called me earlier. It was the owner of Orlando Stroller Rentals calling to let me know that even though I had rented two single strollers, since the first reservation was made back before Disney changed the rules about being able to drop off to bell services, both strollers could be delivered without having to meet for a drop off face to face.

Wait…what?? I ordered 2 strollers?! I called them back quickly, and it turns out I had been smart enough to rent a stroller for February when the changes were announced so that we would be grandfathered in to the old rules, but I wasn’t smart enough to remember that in the month or so before our trip when I reserved a stroller again. Lol Luckily, they were SUPER understanding, and said they figured that was exactly what happened and were happy to refund me for the second stroller rental!

Anyway, with several traffic issues on the road on the way to the hotel we had reserved in Lake City, we were a full 2 hours later arriving than we had been expecting. We lose an hour on the drive, so we were expecting to get there around 11 pm (which would feel like 10 pm to us) which wasn’t too bad. After all of the traffic, we ended up arriving at 2 am Florida time and went straight to bed. It wasn’t a restful night because another family arrived like an hour after we did so just as I was able to fall asleep, I was woken up by them talking in the halls, slamming their door over and over, and their toddler screaming. Needless to say, it wasn’t a very restful night!

Continued in next post...

Day 1: Saturday February 22nd

Despite the late night, of course the kids didn’t sleep in much. They were up at 7:15 am. We had a brunch at ‘Ohana scheduled for 10:40 am, and had been debating the whole drive the night before if we should just cancel it. I decided to keep it to see how we felt upon waking this morning, but ultimately we decided we didn’t want to rush around to get ready, get on the road, and get to the Polynesian in time. So I sadly got on MDE to cancel it. I had to modify it to another day, then cancel it so we wouldn’t get hit with the penalty and it worked out fine. We were so bummed, because ‘Ohana breakfast is one of our favorite character meals! But it didn’t hurt to save the money it would have cost.

We took our time getting showered & dressed, and had some breakfast at the hotel. We had stayed at the Fairfield Inn, which was pretty nice and had a decent breakfast offering. Soon enough the kids were starting to get a little stir crazy though, so we got in the car around 10 am to finish the drive. We stopped in Ocala for lunch at Chick Fil A so the kids could play in the play area for a little while. I got a call from one of my aunts, who I didn’t realize was going to be in the WDW area the same time as us, to see what our plans were for Saturday & Sunday. She has 4 sisters, so she, her siblings, and their mom and a bunch of their children were going on a 4 night DCL sailing leaving Monday, but they were in the area for the weekend.

It was a little before 1 pm when we found ourselves driving under this beautiful site!

IMG_8916

And soon after that, we were arriving at the resort I was SUPER EXCITED to be spending an entire week at, The Wilderness Lodge!!!

IMG_8920

More specifically, we were spending our week in a 1 bedroom villa at Copper Creek. This was our very first stay using our resale purchased DVC points! Our home resort is Animal Kingdom Villas, and though we did stay there for a pre and post night in a studio for our DCL vacation, we were using rented points because our contract purchase had not gone through yet by that time. We had originally booked at AKV when our 11 month booking window opened, but when it hit 7 months and we could book at other resorts, we looked to see what was available and for not too many more points, we were able to switch to CCV. We had in a waitlist at Bay Lake Tower for the walk to Magic Kingdom, but it never went through. I was very happy about CCV though, as Wilderness Lodge has always been one of my favorite resorts!

We left our stuff in the car and headed inside.

IMG_2882

IMG_2883

Unfortunately, there were no 1 bedrooms ready when we arrived around 1 pm. But we hoped by checking in at the front desk, we would get one a little sooner since they knew we had arrived. In the meantime, we decided to check out the resort. First, we hit up the gift shop, of course.

IMG_8921

If you read my December Universal TR, you might remember this photo:

MUP-083

Ever since this day when DD was introduced to the back to back pose, she has been obsessed with it and anytime I take a picture of her and DS together, she asks to do one. The Wilderness Lodge gift shop was no exception!

IMG_8923

After letting the kids look around and point out allllllll the things they wanted (and reminding they only had so much spending money, they couldn’t afford one of everything in the store), we went over to check out the bridge in the lobby then headed outside to walk around.

IMG_8929

IMG_8930

IMG_2884

IMG_2885

IMG_2886

The kids got very excited when they spotted a painted rock with a picture of a cat on it. We lost our family cat a few months ago, and they are really missing her, so it was a perfect one for them to find.

IMG_2887

IMG_2888

IMG_2889

I posted it in the FB group written on the rock to let the painter know our kids had found it and how excited they were about it. We are thinking we will take it with us on our trip later this year to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee and hide it for someone else to find.

IMG_2890

IMG_2891

IMG_2892

IMG_2894

IMG_2895

IMG_2896

IMG_2898

We walked all the way down to one of the rows of CCV cabins to check them out. They look so nice!! Too bad we will never have enough points to stay in one. Lol It was a nice walk around property. Once we walked through the cabins, we turned back to the main building.

IMG_2901

Then the excitement started to wear off a bit, and the exhaustion was settling in. We were tired and just really wanted to get in our room. We were going to mass at 4 pm in Celebration, so there really wasn’t the option of leaving the resort to go somewhere else because it was getting close enough to the time we needed to leave for that.

I took the kids up to the top floor to look down over the lobby, but DH stayed on the couch where he was sitting, so he got our photo and we got his.

IMG_2906

IMG_8932

Then we relocated over to the corner where they had Disney Jr. playing on a TV for the kids, and DH and I sat on the couch nearest them and tried not to fall asleep.

IMG_8933

One of the DVC reps came over to talk to us, and asked if we were interested in going to the members update at Riviera that week, and we would each get 3 Multiple Experience FPs that could be used for the next 3 days after the tour at any park. The only restriction was that they couldn’t be used for any of the Toy Story Land or Pandora attractions, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, or Peter Pan’s Flight. We decided to book it for our rest day on Wednesday because it had been planned for a pool day, but it was not looking like the weather was going to cooperate for that. She suggested the 2:30 pm tour when we told her we had Hoop Dee Doo booked for 4 pm that day, because she said the van that would transport us could bring us right there for our dinner show if we wanted. She explained a van would pick us up from the resort around 2 pm and that it would be equipped with car seats.

After talking to her, I went out to the car to get the clothes I needed to change into for church so I could change in the bathroom. While I was outside, I got the text that our room was ready! I called DH to see if he wanted me to bring the car around to unload our stuff, but we didn’t think we’d have enough time to make multiple trips before needing to leave for church. Instead he said he’d head up to the room with the kids and I could meet them up there.

I ended up catching up to them in the hallway, and each kid suddenly had a Mickey balloon in their hands! Turns out a housekeeper saw them passing and offered each kid one. I guess someone had left them behind in a room she was cleaning!

IMG_8934

Our room was on the 5th floor, and we had a view of the pool and the lagoon beyond it.

IMG_2908

Of course, the kids were checking out things like the coffee table ottoman to see if they could fit inside of it. You know, important things.

IMG_2910

IMG_2912

UP NEXT: Home Away From Home

Yay! Following yet another one of your TR's. Glad you were able to go before all H-LL broke loose!

Popping over from your current Universal TR. Staying at WL for my (hopeful) September trip. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures

Following!

It will be important later to note that I had my cellular data turned completely off to make sure we didn’t go over for the month.

Oh no.

but I wasn’t smart enough to remember that in the month or so before our trip when I reserved a stroller again. Lol Luckily, they were SUPER understanding, and said they figured that was exactly what happened and were happy to refund me for the second stroller rental!

Yikes. That's something I would do though. Glad you were able to get it sorted out!

Ever since this day when DD was introduced to the back to back pose, she has been obsessed with it and anytime I take a picture of her and DS together, she asks to do one.

:rotfl: how adorable!

Of course, the kids were checking out things like the coffee table ottoman to see if they could fit inside of it.

Priorities

Joining in!!

I'm sorry you got to your first stop so much later than expected and didn't get a good night of rest!

Ahh and that you had to cancel Ohana breakfast :(

Sounds like a nice time exploring Wilderness Lodge!

So sweet of the housekeeper to give the kids balloons!

I'm joining in! I've lurked through the last 4 or 5 trip reports. I was in Disney the 23rd-26th. I wonder if we are in each other's pics? :rotfl2:

Yay! Following yet another one of your TR's. Glad you were able to go before all H-LL broke loose!

Welcome!!

I am too!!! I feel so terrible for everyone whose trips have been affected by this. I'm both super happy we were in before the world went too crazy, and also that we were out of town for Mardi Gras, since it seems like that was a huge area for contamination!!

Yay a new report! Reading the two of them.

Welcome!! Thanks for joining in!

Popping over from your current Universal TR. Staying at WL for my (hopeful) September trip. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures

Welcome!! I sure hope all this craziness has subsided by September so you can enjoy your trip! We really loved WL. We had stayed there once before but only for a couple nights and on a park-heavy weekend getaway so we didn't get to experience the resort as much that time as we did this trip.

This looks so fun already i'll be following it:)

Thanks & Welcome!

Yikes. That's something I would do though. Glad you were able to get it sorted out!

I was pretty embarrassed, but I'm so glad the rental company caught the duplicate and so easily refunded us the money for what was my stupid mistake!

:rotfl: how adorable!

She's such a ham!

Priorities

Exactly!!

Joining in!!

I'm sorry you got to your first stop so much later than expected and didn't get a good night of rest!

Ahh and that you had to cancel Ohana breakfast :(

Sounds like a nice time exploring Wilderness Lodge!

So sweet of the housekeeper to give the kids balloons!

Canceling the 'Ohana breakfast was actually painful. :sad1: We had really been looking forward to kicking off our trip with a character meal. It was such a bummer!

The kids were so excited about the balloons, and the housekeeper's name was Samantha so after being obsessed with Frozen II, they both found that hilarious!

I'm joining in! I've lurked through the last 4 or 5 trip reports. I was in Disney the 23rd-26th. I wonder if we are in each other's pics? :rotfl2:

Welcome!! Wouldn't that be something?! You definitely need to let me know if you spot yourself!!

Following!
I was in Disney Feb 22-28th too, so I will be interested in reading how your trip went!
Doesn’t it seem crazy that it was just a little more than one month ago, and yet it seems like an eternity has gone by?
Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

What a nice view from your room! Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.
:wave2:

Joining in! It was so good you managed to get a trip in before everything closed down. It has been lovely to see your children grow up over the past few years. I'll come back and comment in the near future.

Following!
I was in Disney Feb 22-28th too, so I will be interested in reading how your trip went!
Doesn’t it seem crazy that it was just a little more than one month ago, and yet it seems like an eternity has gone by?
Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

YES, so much has happened since that trip that it feels like it happened a lifetime ago!! So crazy how things can change so quickly. I'm sure you'll agree, it's a relief that we were able to go before everything became so uncertain, so we weren't too worried to enjoy our vacation. I feel so terrible for people who have had to cancel their trips because of this virus and the closure. With our last trip to WDW having been several years ago, I would have been devastated to have to cancel.

Hi. Following along!popcorn::

Welcome!!

What a nice view from your room! Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.
:wave2:

Welcome! It was a beautiful view! I was worried about the pool being too loud, but it thankfully wasn't!

Following! Love your reports. That rock is a really cool find.

Welcome!

The kids thought it was so cool to find such a neat little treasure.

Following! I love the start of your report and can't wait to read more! :sunny:

Welcome!!

Joining in! It was so good you managed to get a trip in before everything closed down. It has been lovely to see your children grow up over the past few years. I'll come back and comment in the near future.

Hey, welcome back!!

I am so glad we were able to travel before the uncertainty and anxiety about this virus really started to settle in.

Day 1 Continued: Saturday February 22nd

It was time to get movingthen, so we didn’t get any more photos of the room just yet, but don’t worry, there will be some when we get back. We went down to the car and made the 10 or 15 minute drive outside of Disney property over to Celebration to go to mass at Corpus Christi Catholic Church.

IMG_8938

We have been to this church several times on past trips and NEVER seen it so packed!!! We ended up getting seats over in the choir area even though we were there about 10 minutes early. I ended up spotting my aunt’s mom as she was coming up from communion, so I texted my aunt to see if she was there too, and she said she was but she had been standing in the back because the church was so packed. We were able to go up to see her after mass was over to chat and of course take a selfie!

IMG_8939

After that, we made a quick trip to Publix to pick up some items we couldn’t pack to bring with us, and got one of their fried chicken platters to have for dinner that night back at the room. Then we went back to CCV to unpack and get settled into our home away from home for the week! But first, some photos of the room.

Feb 2020 01-002
View from the entryway towards the living/dining area, including the galley kitchen

Feb 2020 01-001
Looking to the right from the front door. The doors on the right of this photo is a closet with some cleaning supplies, extra linens, and laundry basket. The sliding door on the left is the washing machine & dryer. Further down on the right is the bathroom, and on the left is the master bedroom.

The bathroom is broken into 2 spaces. This is the first space from the hallway that has a sink, shower, and toilet.

The second space is accessible from the other bathroom or from the master bedroom. It has the tub and another sink/vanity.

Feb 2020 01-004

Feb 2020 01-005
Heading into the master bedroom

Feb 2020 01-006
Master bedroom

Feb 2020 01-007
Living area/dining

Feb 2020 01-008

Feb 2020 01-009
Huge pantry in the kitchen! It easily fit all of the snacks we had packed for the road and had purchased at the grocery store

Feb 2020 01-010
Laundry room

Feb 2020 01-011
Supply closet

Feb 2020 01-013

Feb 2020 01-014
Master bedroom closet

In addition to the storage space in the bedroom and living area, there was also a storage area you can kind of see in the second photo that was between the bedroom and bathroom. It was a great space to hang jackets, store hats, shoes, and swim gear, and had a few drawers for odds and ends that we put our rain gear in when we didn’t need to bring it to the parks with us.

The kids ate while DH and I unpacked everything, then we ate quickly ourselves so we could get the kids bathed and to bed at a decent time so we could hit Magic Kingdom very early the next morning! We got a little surprise that night when we realized not only could we hear and see the Happily Ever After fireworks, there was also the Electrical Water Pageant to entertain us out of our window every night! Some nights it was more welcome than others. :rotfl:

Continued in next post...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter