They changed the fish. . . . .

The fish in traditional fish and chips from the UK is supposed to be cod, so they'd better not have changed it at Rose and Crown!

Cod is a bottom feeder too. Sorry! ;)

Thank you for saying this out loud; I dinna have the heart.
We predominately eat bottom feeders worldwide.
It was mentioned, a few pages back, but folks wanted to spend their time hating on tilapia and bemoaning how good cod is rather than acknowledge it, I guess.

Um... perhaps you should check out some enlightening facts the wonderful world wide web can afford you. Click Here https://www.thealternativedaily.com/should-you-eat-bottom-feeders/ or google for yourself.

But, here are the highlights since you and so many others are so quick to demonize tilapia as these bottom-feeder devils.

"Common bottom-feeding animals include crabs, lobster and crayfish, shrimp, shellfish..."

I guess you never eat those, huh? Who even likes shrimp? Right...

Also....

"In the fish world, bottom-feeders include:

Halibut
Flounder
Plaice
Sole
Eel
Cod
Haddock

Bass
Grouper
Carp
Snapper
Sardines
Catfish
Shark"

Also, I have to wonder for all the people acting like farmed fish is this great toxic avenger's paradise responsible for the plague can tell me if they eat beef or pork or poultry from non-organic farms where their eventual burgers, sausages, bacon, and chicken have been pumped full of antibiotics, growth hormones, given feed which could contain bad things in it, and are kept in assembly-line style enclosures that contribute to unsanitary and unsafe conditions for the animals.

Likewise, for all you people saying farmed fish is so dangerous to us, can you tell me all the instances you've heard of people getting sick, poisoned, hospitalized, or killed by toxic fish that has been farmed? And yet, I can regale you of tales of mad-cow disease, swine flu, bird or avian flu and numerous and countless outbreaks of both E-coli and salmonella diseaese being spread from farms you get your beef, chicken, pork or even lettuce from!

And yet, it's tilapia that is this great scourge of the earth, wiping out Disney guests faster than the bubonic plague...

This is true. I have nothing against bottom feeders and heck I love Southern fried catfish. I'm just not sure catfish of any kind is even remotely authentic, although I'm sure somewhere in the UK there's a pub happily serving catfish fish & chips. :) But probably not tilapia.

Luckily for your DH, R&C didn't change
Thanks I saw a few replies to this in the thread after I asked about R and C too--having never ate at the quick service one, I assumed it was the same (they are literally right next to one another and share the bar area so I can see how many would be confused). I just assumed it was the grab and go of the a popular dish. I'm glad to see R and C did not change--love that place!

It was mentioned, a few pages back, but folks wanted to spend their time hating on tilapia and bemoaning how good cod is rather than acknowledge it, I guess.
This thread has decided one thing for me. Get an order or 2 of fish and chips from both R+C lounge and the same amt from Yorkshire County and munch away at a patio table by the lake. Made me happy once and soon I suspect I'll be doubly happy.

This thread has decided one thing for me. Get an order or 2 of fish and chips from both R+C lounge and the same amt from Yorkshire County and munch away at a patio table by the lake. Made me happy once and soon I suspect I'll be doubly happy.
LOL Good plant but only problem is you'll have to fight the birds for your food. I sat there once and watched one fly down and take the food right out of a ladies hand as she was putting it in her mouth!

This whole post is so fascinating! Feels like a Disney post combined with a nature documentary!

Throwing in my two cents: I have disliked Tilapia every time I tried it. It has a "bitter" taste to me and a grainy texture, not sure why.

I'm starting to think you are being paid by Cod to bad mouth Tilapia. :bitelip:

Oh no! Big Cod!

Anyways, this post is fascinating as I’ve never been to any of the UK pavilion restaurants and yet I have a strong opinion on tilapia (hate it).
I also hate catfish and lobster so I’m weird.
It’s been a fun ride.
Sux for the UK food fans, though.

I never claimed cod weren't bottom feeders :) Just was sharing what I heard about Tilapia. I've never eaten the fish and chips in question, so I have no dogs in the fight.

Lots of commonly consumed fish is farmed - catfish, tilapia, salmon, and others. Farmed fish may be frowned upon, but they have lower mercury levels when compared to wild caught fish like tuna and swordfish.

About half our supply of fish is farmed now because our ocean habitats can't keep up with demand. This will only grow as population increases and ocean stocks deplete.
Fish farming methods have also improved over time.

Basically, there are pros and cons to both wild caught and farm raised fish.

Honestly if people (and I am one of them) are eating mass market chicken, beef and pork - animals that are usually raised in heinous conditions - then eating farm raised fish shouldn't be a major concern.

Lots of commonly consumed fish is farmed - catfish, tilapia, salmon, and others. Farmed fish may be frowned upon, but they have lower mercury levels when compared to wild caught fish like tuna and swordfish.

About half our supply of fish is farmed now because our ocean habitats can't keep up with demand. This will only grow as population increases and ocean stocks deplete.
Fish farming methods have also improved over time.

Basically, there are pros and cons to both wild caught and farm raised fish.

Honestly if people (and I am one of them) are eating mass market chicken, beef and pork - animals that are usually raised in heinous conditions - then eating farm raised fish shouldn't be a major concern.

Correct. The meat market as a whole is pretty gross. The reason I mentioned factory-farming is because wild-caught is always better. However, I'd guess the only places on WDW property you could feasibly order wild-caught fish or free-range meat is at a signature dining location, but I don't know for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter