Think of All The Joy You'll Find When You Leave the World Behind- Nov 2018 TR-updated 09/22/19 RL

I really need to make note of these types of things. We've only been to WDW twice and are always go go go in the parks, hanging at the pool, or strolling DTD (that's what it was still called when we were there)
I have a really difficult time slowing down and taking pictures with the cool props or doing the not-so-favorite things. Don't worry, I still call it DTD sometimes.

Fun - I don't recall this - it would make things more interesting if they announce the city - two of the cities I've lived in people have a hard time saying it correctly. I love that you mentioned that 'others scowl'. :rotfl2:
There was a couple that came in after us, and they stood up and asked the host if they were next. He replied only if they were from Tennessee. So, when they announced us, they turned around and scrunched their little faces at us.

This is another thing I would like to do at least once - both of our trips have been 14 days and that's still not enough time.
I'm not sure there ever is.

There never is (I would love to use the little crying emoji here but they still aren't working for me so use your imagination!).
:sad: Better?

I have to force myself to make myself relax and have pool time, although the more I go, the less I have to force myself.
I think if we went more often, I would be able to relax more.

That's my favorite pavilion too :-)
Do you call them shoppes, too? :snooty:

Isn't being so close to Epcot awesome? I loved that convenience. Sounds like a fun night at Epcot! :)
It was nice being that close. If you're a HS fan, I'm sure that's convenient as well. I'm not, though, so, eh.

Not sure how, but I fell massively behind. Looks like you all had a couple of good days in MK, though I'm shocked it was still so hot in October. Sounds more like August weather to me.

I'm totally with you on the Yacht/Beach Club. We stayed at the latter for the first time as I always wanted to stay there. I like the look of the rooms but there is something very sterile about it and not warming like some of the other resorts. I was shocked that we liked Boardwalk much better as it seemed to have more of a soul to it.
It's okay, I forgive you!

I would like to stay at BC just once at least, but I understand what you mean. I think that's why I like the Poly; it has so much character.

I’m enjoying your trip report!

One of the managers back then actually gave us the recipe after we expressed how much we loved it. We have replicated it for our annual "Irish Feast" on St. Patrick's Day.

Are you going to share the recipe?! That sounds so good!

Curse you Red Lion Inn and your non-Disney comfort!

Too funny - we took a wrong turn on our trip this past week and ended up taking a “tour” of the Red Lion parking lot :)

I immediately took pictures so that I could make a running leap onto the bed to make sure it was comfortable. It was! Thank goodness.

The room looks beautiful! So funny to run into an old friend. Looking forward to reading more!

We had lunch at LTT last week, Steve and I had been there maybe 2 years ago but it'd been quite a bit longer for the boys and they didn't remember it. I really enjoy the food there; the rest of the family not so much :headache: Although Steve really liked it last time. I'm not listening to them in this case because nobody will keep me from the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake!

I’m enjoying your trip report!
Wonderful!

Are you going to share the recipe?! That sounds so good!
Possibly? If I can find it! We've moved since then so I honestly don't know where it is or if it was tossed in the move. My husband may remember more about it.

Too funny - we took a wrong turn on our trip this past week and ended up taking a “tour” of the Red Lion parking lot :)
Ugh, I'm sorry. That's funny, though!

Well. . .

We had lunch at LTT last week, Steve and I had been there maybe 2 years ago but it'd been quite a bit longer for the boys and they didn't remember it. I really enjoy the food there; the rest of the family not so much :headache: Although Steve really liked it last time. I'm not listening to them in this case because nobody will keep me from the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake!
It really is fabulous, isn't it? I'm just not happy with the menu changes, but so long as they keep that dessert I'll keep going. I think it is my go-to for MK TS.

A Most Incredible Flight- Day 3, Part One

Saturday, November 3rd- Animal Kingdom

*Let me start about by saying that this update contains spoilers for Pandora and attractions. If you do not want to see pictures or read about those experiences, please stop right here and pick up on the next post. I do not wish to spoil any fun for anyone!*

I could not wait for this day. This was going to be our first encounter with Pandora. I've seen pictures. I've heard how wonderful the attractions are. I've had perfect strangers at restaurants tell me I will love it. None of that mattered. There was no way anyone could have described it the way I saw it for myself. I think that you may feel the same after you've read this and see if for yourself.

We went to AK around 8:15. We had no breakfast planned so we packed a few bottles of water and two packs of mini muffins I had picked up at home. It was a chilly morning-- around 60 degrees or so. That was perfect! Animal Kingdom is usually so hot because of the lack of shade, and I've found myself overheated there all too often. So, on the scaled of 1-4 in park rank, AK has always been number 3. I'm not a HS fan, sorry. I enjoy the shows and the animals, but it's usually so miserably uncomfortable outside that I don't want to linger. Because of this and my excitement about seeing Pandora, I was thrilled that I wasn't sweating at 8:20.

We had a FP for Na'vi River around 9:15ish. We headed straight to Pandora with the masses. Now, I will go ahead and say I had a FOP FP for later on in the trip, but since it was supposedly so amazing I wanted to see if we could try to catch it standby. We got in line for the 90 minute wait, which would put us toward the end of our FP time for Na'vi, but we should make it. *Should*

So, the line wrapped all the way down to the restrooms just past the bridge that connected Pandora to Africa. Okay, nobody panic. My husband was being really good about this wait when usually he is looking at me like "You serious, Clark?" because he's not standing in that line. I snapped some nice pictures while we inched our way toward the mountains.

pandorabridge.jpg
pandoraglow.jpg pandoratree.jpg pandoraflora.jpg pandoramountains.jpg
I don't care how many times you hear someone say the land is beautiful, there is nothing like seeing it for yourself.

I did not mind the wait at all because I was busy just experiencing everything. I did find a CM and tell her I was a little worried about missing our next FP, but she told me not to panic.

Okay.

So, we finally made it inside. The details of the lab were just amazing. All the little beakers and microscopes with the different samples. Wow.
FOPdecor.jpg FOPstuff.jpg
Then, there he was. The Avatar just floating there in hyper. . . whatever.FOPAvatar.jpg
That was by far the coolest moment to date. Well, it was.

If we're being honest, no one really likes pre-shows, do we? But, this one I enjoyed. *Last warning about spoilers!* The backstory about the Ikran and why we were linking up was well done. I loved how they match you with your own Avatar (well, sort of) and mine was, thankfully, female.

This is where I'm a bad wife. My husband is tall, and he is broad-shouldered and muscular in the legs. We were both a little concerned about him fitting into the restraints, but we never saw the test seat. At this point, I knew I would continue the journey even if he couldn't. I know that sounds terrible because one of my favorite things about Disney and the attractions is being able to experience everything with him. However, he had told me that since I was so excited about this and an Avatar fan, that he wanted me to continue without him.

We go into the room (which smells like Soarin' to me) and put our belongings in the cubby. I find my banshee motorcycle and sit down. He sits to my left and I heard the restraints snap into place. A CM comes over to help him just a little and voila, he's in! I am so relieved I don't have to feel guilty all day, ha!

Okay, folks, I will go ahead and tell you that out of all the incredible experiences I've had over the past, I don't know, 27ish years at Disney, this was one of the moments to trump all moments.

The screen came on, and I was immediately greeted with the aroma of the outdoors. My Ikran took off, and I started to feel the wind in my hair. I could feel the expansion of her lungs (yes, she) as she breathed beneath me. She and I were connected, and we were soaring through the skies. The spray of water tickled my face when I was splashed. I'm usually really good at separating simulation from reality, but this time I was 100% there. It was so realistic that when there were startling moments, I may have yelped a little. When it was over, I was sad, but so amazed. It really did live up to the hype and while I was feeling like I could toss my muffins (vertigo), I didn't care. Well done, Disney, well done.

Feeling like I was on cloud 9, I practically galloped out toward the store. We didn't have much time for looking as we had officially missed our FP for the boat ride. We asked a CM how to get there and once we were at the check in counter, I apologized profusely and said "I'm so sorry, we were---" She stopped me and told me to say no more and let us through. I guess that happens a lot. I was so grateful she let us through because the line for standby was around 60 minutes and climbing.

Naviflora.jpg shaman.jpg
I've read a lot of complaints about this attraction. It's too short. It's not thrilling. I agree that it's a short ride, especially for such a long line, but I really liked it. After the thrill of FOP, I needed to just sit and take in the beauty surrounding us. To me, this ride really brought to life the true feeling of being on Pandora. There were animals and flora and Na'vi and music. . . and it was just all so incredible.

I wish there was more to do at Pandora besides stop and stare at the nature, but I really loved the two attractions they have. I thought about stopping at the canteen for a snack, but it was getting close to time for our next FP so we kept moving.

Up next- are we just monkeying around or are there really animals out here?

I don't care how many times you hear someone say the land is beautiful, there is nothing like seeing it for yourself.
100% agree with you. I didn't think the pictures/descriptions were that great, but then we went there. And i was BLOWN away.

Feeling like I was on cloud 9, I practically galloped out toward the store. We didn't have much time for looking as we had officially missed our FP for the boat ride. We asked a CM how to get there and once we were at the check in counter, I apologized profusely and said "I'm so sorry, we were---" She stopped me and told me to say no more and let us through. I guess that happens a lot. I was so grateful she let us through because the line for standby was around 60 minutes and climbing.
yay! That's awesome that you got to still use your fastpass. :)

I've read a lot of complaints about this attraction. It's too short. It's not thrilling. I agree that it's a short ride, especially for such a long line, but I really liked it. After the thrill of FOP, I needed to just sit and take in the beauty surrounding us. To me, this ride really brought to life the true feeling of being on Pandora. There were animals and flora and Na'vi and music. . . and it was just all so incredible.
100% agree with you again. After the intensity of FOP, I liked the quieter, less intense ride, that allowed you to slow down and take in all the atmosphere of Pandora. FOP was the thrill of Pandora, Navi was appreciating the beauty of it. I think you rode them in exactly the right order: back to back, FOP first. Sadly most people don't get to do that, and so in my opinion Navi gets a slightly undeserved bad rap.

FOP is incredible, no 2 ways around it. Awesome you got on before your FP!
DH and I were lucky enough to attend the special AP Pandora preview and rode both attractions then. I will admit Na'vi really doesn't do it for me- we rode it once during the preview and again with the boys a few months later- but it is very pretty for sure and a nice alternative for those who don't wish to ride FOP.

The Deluxe Dining Plan that included 27 Table Service Credits and 36 snack credits.

Resort hopping to nearly every deluxe resort on property.

You've sold this to me so well! Following!

food trays were laying everywhere

a pet peeve of mine :sad2:

tonytrio-jpg.366654

I haven't heard good things about Tony's but this looks really good!

We woke up at 6:30 to get ready for our breakfast at 1900 Park Fare.

Nice! I have a girl's trip to 1900 Park Fare booked in for February, so thanks for the review :goodvibes I'm glad you enjoyed it!

In fact, our only experience with it is from our favorite episode (s) of Full House where the Tanners stay there and D.J. runs down the grand staircase to meet Steve just as he tumbles on the floor.

:laughing: I love this reference!

we made our way back over to the UK pavilion to exit. This is my favorite pavilion in the WS so I enjoy browsing through the shoppes

As a brit, you're welcome :thumbsup2 can confirm, this is exactly what the UK is like, we have rows of pretty shoppes :lmao:

Enjoying your TR, looking forward to hearing more! :goodvibes

There was no way anyone could have described it the way I saw it for myself. I think that you may feel the same after you've read this and see if for yourself.

I agree with this!!

Then, there he was. The Avatar just floating there in hyper. . . whatever.

I’ve never gone through the regular queue to see this... I like seeing pics of the queue!

I'm usually really good at separating simulation from reality, but this time I was 100% there. It was so realistic that when there were startling moments, I may have yelped a little.

Same here. I made myself look away from the screen the second time I rode it because I didn’t think to the first time - but as soon as I turned back, I still felt like I was there. It’s breathtaking and amazing how realistic it feels!

Glad you liked FOP so much! It really is a great ride. We all love it. And NRJ I think just gets a bad rep because the wait time isn't comparable to how long it is. If they could get this down to 30 mintues I think the reviews would be better. but and hour, hour and a half is just way too long!

Pandora is amazing, so glad you enjoyed it. FoP is breathtakingly beautiful! I am so excited to share it with my sister in January!
I really enjoy NRJ as well, I just wouldn’t wait more than 20 minutes for it.

So happy to hear Pandora was everything you wanted it to be and you got to experience both rides! As you said no matter how amazing people tell you it is, nothing compares to experiencing it for yourself.

You're so right :thumbsup2

If we're being honest, no one really likes pre-shows, do we? But, this one I enjoyed. *Last warning about spoilers!* The backstory about the Ikran and why we were linking up was well done. I loved how they match you with your own Avatar (well, sort of) and mine was, thankfully, female.

I actually really dislike this pre-show…both of them actually. Thank goodness I still get cell service in there because I usually use the time to surf Facebook or refresh fastpasses.

The screen came on, and I was immediately greeted with the aroma of the outdoors. My Ikran took off, and I started to feel the wind in my hair. I could feel the expansion of her lungs (yes, she) as she breathed beneath me. She and I were connected, and we were soaring through the skies. The spray of water tickled my face when I was splashed. I'm usually really good at separating simulation from reality, but this time I was 100% there. It was so realistic that when there were startling moments, I may have yelped a little. When it was over, I was sad, but so amazed. It really did live up to the hype and while I was feeling like I could toss my muffins (vertigo), I didn't care. Well done, Disney, well done.

I agree 100%. I love this ride!

That was so nice ::yes::

I wasn't going to do quotes since I'm bingeing, but the Powerline shirts made me a liar :rotfl:

Look at our adorable matching Powerline shirts. If you don't know who Powerline is, please see me for a short presentation after the show.

I almost buy the one I see at Target every time I'm in there!!

Aw! I have fond memories of Tony's. On my first ever trip we had breakfast there, and I was in awe. It was just like the movie!! Everything that trip left me in awe...ok, everything still does! Do you know you can get their pawprint "signatures" from CMs there? At least you could in the past. I always say I'm going to stop in and pick one up but I've yet to do it.

Ahhh!! Big Al!! This is Country Bear royalty. Every time I manage to catch him I get a blurry selfie (or in one very special case, just a blurry shot of his face, b/c a random guy used my head as a tripod. For real.)

We went to the bakery to get the included resort mugs that we never used

Resort mugs are never so useless as they are at Boardwalk. We were so far from everything there!

It's like they trick you with the room being ready early, LOL!! At Kidani last year we were told our room was "just down this hall", when it was ready upon our arrival at 9:00ish in the morning...it was LITERALLY .4 miles away from the lobby. We tracked the distance on our watches.

True story

I've still never managed to ride! Hoping to change that in a few weeks. DH and I are planning to rope drop it, so fingers crossed!

100% agree with you. I didn't think the pictures/descriptions were that great, but then we went there. And i was BLOWN away.
I'm the opposite in that I thought the pictures were beautiful, but they still did not justify it.

yay! That's awesome that you got to still use your fastpass. :)
Yes! We were grateful!

[/QUOTE]100% agree with you again. After the intensity of FOP, I liked the quieter, less intense ride, that allowed you to slow down and take in all the atmosphere of Pandora. FOP was the thrill of Pandora, Navi was appreciating the beauty of it. I think you rode them in exactly the right order: back to back, FOP first. Sadly most people don't get to do that, and so in my opinion Navi gets a slightly undeserved bad rap.[/QUOTE]
I think it gets a bad report because the lines are so agonizingly long so by the time guests reach the ride, they want something fun and exciting. I may have felt that way if I had been in standby, but it helped that we just walked on.

FOP is incredible, no 2 ways around it. Awesome you got on before your FP!
DH and I were lucky enough to attend the special AP Pandora preview and rode both attractions then. I will admit Na'vi really doesn't do it for me- we rode it once during the preview and again with the boys a few months later- but it is very pretty for sure and a nice alternative for those who don't wish to ride FOP.
My husband didn't think it was as incredible as I did, but he really appreciated the mechanics of it. Then again, he doesn't care much for Avatar so he wasn't thrilled about the new land at all. Whatever, he can wait on a bench while I go fly with the banshees.
You've sold this to me so well! Following!
Welcome! I sometimes pretend I can sell ice to an Eskimo.

a pet peeve of mine :sad2:
You have no idea how many bottles of unused syrup went to waste on those trays!

I haven't heard good things about Tony's but this looks really good!
Looks can be deceiving. Under-cooked chicken.

Nice! I have a girl's trip to 1900 Park Fare booked in for February, so thanks for the review :goodvibes I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Oh, I do hope you enjoy it! All the characters are British-based. Alice, Mary Poppins, Pooh. . .

:laughing: I love this reference!
Oh, I am so happy someone else understood this! We were discussing this morning how the show is just fading away.

As a brit, you're welcome :thumbsup2 can confirm, this is exactly what the UK is like, we have rows of pretty shoppes
I knew it!

I agree with this!!

I’ve never gone through the regular queue to see this... I like seeing pics of the queue!

Same here. I made myself look away from the screen the second time I rode it because I didn’t think to the first time - but as soon as I turned back, I still felt like I was there. It’s breathtaking and amazing how realistic it feels!
When a queue is so well done, it makes the wait a little more bearable. There were so many details to see. I really enjoyed trying to discover all the formulas they were using for the lab and whatnot.

Glad you liked FOP so much! It really is a great ride. We all love it. And NRJ I think just gets a bad rep because the wait time isn't comparable to how long it is. If they could get this down to 30 mintues I think the reviews would be better. but and hour, hour and a half is just way too long!
Agreed. I also felt the same way about Alien Swirling Saucers, but that's for a different day. They're nice attractions--just not worth the extensive lines.

Pandora is amazing, so glad you enjoyed it. FoP is breathtakingly beautiful! I am so excited to share it with my sister in January!
I really enjoy NRJ as well, I just wouldn’t wait more than 20 minutes for it.
I think it would have been even more incredible if they could have incorporated a little more of the wildlife into it like shadows of those panther-things or some of their roars. I know they did that on the NRJ, but it would have just been a little more extra if some of the wildlife could have appeared somehow out in the land.

So happy to hear Pandora was everything you wanted it to be and you got to experience both rides! As you said no matter how amazing people tell you it is, nothing compares to experiencing it for yourself.
Yes! I just hope Galaxy's Edge lives up to my husband's expectations like Pandora did for me. I don't think he has anything to worry about, though.

following along
Enjoying your trip report

Happy to have you!

I actually really dislike this pre-show…both of them actually. Thank goodness I still get cell service in there because I usually use the time to surf Facebook or refresh fastpasses.

Well, at least it's air-conditioned?

I wasn't going to do quotes since I'm bingeing, but the Powerline shirts made me a liar :rotfl:
I almost buy the one I see at Target every time I'm in there!!
I did not know Target had them! Mine was from Hot Topic and my husband's was from TeePublic. We saw quite a few people wearing Powerline shirts, which made me happy. However, there were a few CMs who asked me who that was. Sad.

Aw! I have fond memories of Tony's. On my first ever trip we had breakfast there, and I was in awe. It was just like the movie!! Everything that trip left me in awe...ok, everything still does! Do you know you can get their pawprint "signatures" from CMs there? At least you could in the past. I always say I'm going to stop in and pick one up but I've yet to do it.
I did not know this! I would have definitely asked for one. It's such a beautiful movie. I was in choir all four years of high school, and we did this beautiful round at one of our Christmas shows where each choir group sang a different version of Silent Night. Our group sang the version from the movie, and I admit I cried a little.

Resort mugs are never so useless as they are at Boardwalk. We were so far from everything there!

It's like they trick you with the room being ready early, LOL!! At Kidani last year we were told our room was "just down this hall", when it was ready upon our arrival at 9:00ish in the morning...it was LITERALLY .4 miles away from the lobby. We tracked the distance on our watches.
We've always used our mugs, but the few times we were actually thirsty enough to use them, we were nowhere near the bakery. It just wasn't worth the walk, especially since our room felt like it was in the World Showcase anyway.

I've still never managed to ride! Hoping to change that in a few weeks. DH and I are planning to rope drop it, so fingers crossed!
Hope you do and that you love it!

Quit Monkeying Around- Day 3, Part Two

Our next FP was for Kilimanjaro Safaris. We had just enough time to stop for a snack. I really wanted a pretzel so I got a Mickey Pretzel and cheese. Jason didn't want anything.

mickeypretzel.png mickeypretzelcheese.jpg
Look closely at the second picture. Do you see what's in my husband's hand? A piece of the pretzel he didn't want.

There were no available tables, but this very nice elderly couple invited us to come sit with them under the shade. We sat and chatted for a short while. She was wanting to find a snack at Disney Springs so I told her about the amazing pretzel from B.B. Wolfe's. We parted ways after we were all finished with our snacks.

Jason and I headed over to the Safari. Now, this is where you will have to use your imagination because the very few photos I have are terrible. We were in the front row with two other people, and I was in the middle. It would have been thoughtful if Jason had let me sit on the outside since I was the one taking pictures, but he always made me go first whenever we got on rides. So, if I took a picture to the left, I have the obstruction of curly red hair from our seatmates, and if I took pictures to the right my husband's face blocks the view. One of the giraffes did come up to our truck. She was so close I feel like I could have almost touched her if I was sitting on the end.

After the mediocre trek through the savanna, we explored Gorilla Falls, which we have never done before. We really didn't see very many animals. In fact, I have no pictures from the trails at all.

Our last FP was for Expedition Everest. Jason really loves this ride. I do as well, but the backward motion does make my stomach a little queasy so I have to, unfortunately, close my eyes once we start flying in the opposite direction.

After our escape from the Yeti, it was time for lunch at the other Yeti.

YakYetidrink.jpg YYEggRolls.jpg YYFirecrackershrimp.jpg YYTeriyakichicken.jpg YYWontons.jpg

After our lunch, we decided to go back to the Boardwalk for a short rest and change of clothes.

Coming up, it's finally time to reveal Jason's big surprise for the trip: Fireworks and dessert with the Star Wars gang!

It would have been thoughtful if Jason had let me sit on the outside since I was the one taking pictures, but he always made me go first whenever we got on rides.

You're nicer than I am... every time we rode the Safari, I insisted on sitting on an end so I could get good pictures!

After our escape from the Yeti, it was time for lunch at the other Yeti.

I love Yak & Yeti! I wish we had made time for it on our last trip. I don't think you miss much by closing your eyes on the backward part, I'm pretty sure it's all in the dark anyway :)

Flights of Passage is no doubt a great ride. I would put it right up there with Forbidden Journey as a top theme park ride experience. They did a wonderful job of making the experience feel like it was happening just to you even though you are in a room with 100 other people looking at the same screen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter