'This is a whitewash of justice'

nd5056

DIS Veteran
"This is a whitewash of justice. A grand jury could not have been clearer," Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said about prosecutors dropping charges against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollet

I'm just disgusted. There's been more then enough overwhelming evidence in this case. And on top of this:

"Smollett agreed to donate his $10,000 bond to the city of Chicago."

I'm sure the investigation cost us Tax payers way more than 10K.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel called the dropping of charges against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett "a whitewash of justice."

His comments came hours after Smollett appeared in a Cook County court for an "emergency hearing" where prosecutors dropped charges accusing him of lying to police about a racist and homophobic attack in the Streeterville neighborhood. He was charged with 16 counts of disorderly conduct.

Emanuel and Chicago police Supt. Eddie Johnson were blindsided by the news, finding out about the dropped charges with the public.

The two men, visibly angry and frustrated, held a press conference following a police graduation at Navy Pier.

"This is a whitewash of justice. A grand jury could not have been clearer," Emanuel said.

Superintendent Eddie Johnson said he believes Smollett still owes Chicago an apology.

Emanuel compared the situation to the recent college admissions scandal in which wealthy parents paid to get their children into elite colleges.

"Now you have a person, because of their position and background who is getting treated in a way that nobody else would ever ... that would ever get close to this type of treatment," Emanuel said.

Prosecutors said charges were dropped after reviewing the circumstances of the case as well as Smollett's community service and the forfeiture of his bond.

Smollett appeared in court Tuesday and thanked all of his supporters.

"Not for a moment was it in vain," Smollett said. "I have been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one. I would not be my mother's son if I was capable of one drop of what I was accused of."

Smollett was accused of paying two brothers to stage an attack on him. Tuesday, he said he wants to get back to work and move on with his life.

"But make no mistakes, I will always continue to fight for the justice, equality and betterment of marginalized people everywhere," Smollett said.

Smollett agreed to donate his $10,000 bond to the city of Chicago.

https://abc7chicago.com/mayor-emanuel-on-jussie-smollett-charges-being-dropped-this-is-a-whitewash-of-justice/5218433/https://abc7chicago.com/mayor-emanuel-on-jussie-smollett-charges-being-dropped-this-is-a-whitewash-of-justice/5218433/

I'm just disgusted. There's been more then enough overwhelming evidence in this case. And on top of this:

"Smollett agreed to donate his $10,000 bond to the city of Chicago."

I'm sure the investigation cost us Tax payers way more than 10K.
This thread won’t last long I’m sure. But I agree with you.

Honestly, I think this was the right call, but for not great reasons. I see NO win situation in this, and I want to make it clear that the whole ding dang thing is a cluster. I think it could have lead to riots and more racial discontent, but I also think the guy is a lying liar who lies and should be accountable. It's just a crap situation. CRAP.

I do wish at a grand jury made that call though, but the prosecutors may have thought they couldn't take that chance. Did I mention this was one of the biggest clusters we've seen lately?

Hmmm, so is it race, orientation or celebrity? It is one set of laws for the rich and famous, another set for the rest. Really no big surprise there.

His bail was forfeited and he did community service. Similar diversion is offered every day all across the country to people in every walk of life.

Honestly, I think this was the right call, but for not great reasons. I see NO win situation in this, and I want to make it clear that the whole ding dang thing is a cluster. I think it could have lead to riots and more racial discontent, but I also think the guy is a lying liar who lies and should be accountable. It's just a crap situation. CRAP.

I do wish at a grand jury made that call though, but the prosecutors may have thought they couldn't take that chance. Did I mention this was one of the biggest clusters we've seen lately?

I had to Google the urban dictionary for the usage of cluster here.

Learned something new

I read that the judge agreed to drop the charges because the sentence for a guilty plea would be community service and apparently he’s already done an amount equal to that. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, just reporting what I read.

His bail was forfeited and he did community service. Similar diversion is offered every day all across the country to people in every walk of life.

This alone cost more then the bail he posted.

"Chicago police say they've reviewed hundreds of hours of surveillance camera footage, including of Smollett walking downtown, but none of the videos show the attack."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter