This is Us- Season four

The episode was a snooze for me and I thought Beth was so rude to her guests.

I thought Beth and the other mom were both awful to each other - like catty teenagers!

But that didn't bore me - if anything, it made me a little angry at the characters. (And making me react is one mark of a good show.)

Plus, it’s real life to be rude to someone at times. I like that it isn’t all fake leave it to beaver.

The writers do an excellent job of creating characters who are human. In this case, I think they were both acting out of fear, and let it get the better of them.

I'm not a big fan of the episodes that focus only on one character or storyline, but I did like the Deja / Malik storyline. And I've always liked Omar Epps, too. :)

I loved when Malik's dad said, about skipping school, something like, we all did it, right? And Randall so looks like he wants to agree, but then is like, mmmm, no. But only because Hanes Academy had a strict attendance policy. I cracked up!

And, I know it was a plot point, to get the kids out of the room and allow the parents to talk, but they made WAY too big a deal about the baby crying during dinner. I mean, pick her up and give her a bottle and keep on eating. Or better yet, instead of leaving her on the floor in her car seat, how about bringing a hook on high chair for her to be a part of dinner??

Kevin has no obligation to Cassidy's husband though especially knowing that the husband isn't making much of an effort to work things out.

Yet, just what, a week earlier Kevin was telling Cassidy that her husband still cared for her after her husband told Kevin to stay away from her during their conversation. So he knew there might still be a chance for them, but spontaneously went ahead with sleeping with her anyway. It wasn't his best moment in my opinion.

And, I know it was a plot point, to get the kids out of the room and allow the parents to talk, but they made WAY too big a deal about the baby crying during dinner. I mean, pick her up and give her a bottle and keep on eating. Or better yet, instead of leaving her on the floor in her car seat, how about bringing a hook on high chair for her to be a part of dinner??

I think she was, just as Beth said, the elephant in the room. And while she was sleeping, everyone could talk around the subject of him being a teenage father, but once she woke up, everyone over-reacted because suddenly the elephant was trumpeting around the room. ;)

I think she was, just as Beth said, the elephant in the room. And while she was sleeping, everyone could talk around the subject of him being a teenage father, but once she woke up, everyone over-reacted because suddenly the elephant was trumpeting around the room. ;)

That was my feeling too. It was like a big neon sign saying "HE HAS A BABY." It wasn't just talking about the baby, the baby was making herself known. They all kind of panicked. Malik was trying desperately to quiet her which was making her more upset. I think it just made it more real for everyone.

I loved this episode, but then, there are few I don't like.

The part that kind of threw me... when did Malik take Deja to the park at night? I thought that when Randall came home, it was daylight, and Beth had Deja there, then told him that the principal called her. Was this the next day that that happened? And, it seems to me that Randall and Beth wouldn't have let Deja out by herself at night, especially since she's only 13.

I thought it was an interesting parallel between two awkward dinners and how the parents handled themselves at each one. And young Kevin was so rude. OMGosh, I would never have tolerated that from my kids, especially with dinner guests.

The part that kind of threw me... when did Malik take Deja to the park at night? I thought that when Randall came home, it was daylight, and Beth had Deja there, then told him that the principal called her. Was this the next day that that happened? And, it seems to me that Randall and Beth wouldn't have let Deja out by herself at night, especially since she's only 13.

I was wondering that also. How did it get to be dark? Because I also thought Randall came home in daylight to find out that Deja had skipped school that day. Maybe he didn't and it was dark by the time he came home? I know that Deja had some after school activities, so maybe she skipped those as well and she wasn't expected home before dark? When did the principal call? Did he/she call earlier in the day and Beth was stewing on it all day?

I was wondering that also. How did it get to be dark? Because I also thought Randall came home in daylight to find out that Deja had skipped school that day. Maybe he didn't and it was dark by the time he came home? I know that Deja had some after school activities, so maybe she skipped those as well and she wasn't expected home before dark? When did the principal call? Did he/she call earlier in the day and Beth was stewing on it all day?

Not for nothing, but it’s pitch black here by 6:00 now that daylight saving time is over.

Not for nothing, but it’s pitch black here by 6:00 now that daylight saving time is over.

Here, too. :( But was it light when Randall came home? 6:00 would be very late for school to be done, but if Beth weren't expecting her until later because of after school activities, that could still work for them to be out. I guess there are some things that we really don't need to know.

I loved Beth in this episode. It was real. She went in with open shoes and an open mind, lol. Then, Malik's mom threw a dagger, and she was not having it. She stood up for her daughter. I don't blame her. I couldn't just sit back and be nonchalant either. Could she have handled it better, of course. But they showed the raw reality of how ugly these things can be. Both Deja and Malik were to blame for ditching school, I don't place blame on just one kid for that. But I know as mom I would have a very very hard time having a teenage daughter dating a boy who had a baby.

I felt sorry for Jack. He was jealous of Randall's relationship, which is totally normal. I am glad to see he was brave enough to admit that to his teacher. And for the record, I just love young Randall. I am always happy when he is in an episode.

*Kate wants everyone to always be so supportive of her, but she really isn't happy or supportive of Toby and his weight loss.
She hasn't even gone up and hugged him and told him how great he is doing (maybe they showed that quickly, can't remember).
* Just me, but she always wants some type of pity. Most teens wouldn't throw that into a conversation right away especially when a girl is talking to a boy the first time.
It's not just you....I have watched this from day one,and I find Kate's character so annoying. All the time. She demands a lot from those around her, but in return seems to be pretty whiny over.....what? I'm still not sure why she's so unhappy and obviously angry most of the time. My best guess is there's something about her past that will yet explain all of her issues. (I know,she lost her dad etc, but nothing yet explains her extreme unhappiness in life) And for me, I'm always uncomfortable with how miserably she treats her Mom over the years, from when she was fairly young. I know Rebeccas character isn't perfect but Dang! She always loved her kids fiercely! I love this show,it's always interesting!

Oh, Kevin. This is going to be a hard one to watch. He is harder on himself than anyone else ever could be. I'm also mad at Nicky for shaming him the way he did. Pretty judgmental for a guy who has made a whole lot of mistakes himself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter