This week's episode had me question the CM room access

I'm always surprised by how many people in the AP line don't seem to know how to use the scanners. We got stuck a couple of times behind parties that needed to be walked through the process. Come on. You have an annual pass. Surely you have done this before.
Part of the problem is they don't always check if you are AP. There were several times I found non-AP in the line.

Part of the problem is they don't always check if you are AP. There were several times I found non-AP in the line.
Now this would definitely frost my doughnuts! And I'll bet most act all "confused and oblivious" if/when called out on it. :confused: Yes - there may be some who truly DON'T know what they're doing. But - from MY experience - it's a consciously chosen act, "pushing the envelope" to see if they get called on it. And it's usually NOT the only area of their life they feel compelled to take advantage of others "kindness", thinking nobody will say anything. If they try it 10 times, and get away with it at least 6 or 7, they're happy. And it's probably usually more than that.

Same thing happens to me at AMC theaters, where they have the "Premier Member" line at the concession stand - people routinely (and brazenly - while looking straight at me, smiling, and STILL walking past me!) "cut" me when the employee says "next in line", and there are CLEAR and BIG signs indicating priority service for Premier Members. There are also always non Premier members in that line. Hey - AMC decided I should get a special line if I pay a membership fee, NOT me. But you're daggone tootin' that I'm going to USE, and get vocal about, when my "promised and paid for privileges" are disregarded. One of my most "HA!!!!!" moments lately was when a young lady gave me that "knowing grin"while cutting in front of me - literally AND physically, while mumbling something to her boyfriend about "THOSE people in THAT line". The employee kindly informed her I was next (thanked that employee muchly for doing the right thing, since the customer didn't, which I feel is the RIGHT thing for any employee/CM in this situation to do. As I myself have worked in many customer/public service settings, this is what I have always tried to do. As I stepped up to the counter, I gave "THAT person" the royal wave. Felt darn good. Was tempted to wave with only ONE finger, but I was nice, and used all of them. :blush:

Sometimes makes me feel like an old carmudgeon (thinking Carl in Up), :crutches:but I also think it's a lack of respect on the part of the (mostly, from what I've personally experienced this behavior from) young whippersnappers :laughing:who do this. I would NEVER have even THOUGHT about doing that at their age - respected clearly marked lines, and most especially "older than me" folks (still do!), and those with canes.

And they always act confused and clueless. I can just tell they ain't. :mad:

I’d just like to point out that it wasn’t just due to marathon weekend. Due to how the holidays fell lots of schools were still out for that week which caused an increase in crowds.
That makes sense, Ryan. This was our third year going during the marathon and we thought it was a lot more crowded than the past 2 years.

Now this would definitely frost my doughnuts! And I'll bet most act all "confused and oblivious" if/when called out on it. :confused: Yes - there may be some who truly DON'T know what they're doing. But - from MY experience - it's a consciously chosen act, "pushing the envelope" to see if they get called on it. And it's usually NOT the only area of their life they feel compelled to take advantage of others "kindness", thinking nobody will say anything. If they try it 10 times, and get away with it at least 6 or 7, they're happy. And it's probably usually more than that.

Same thing happens to me at AMC theaters, where they have the "Premier Member" line at the concession stand - people routinely (and brazenly - while looking straight at me, smiling, and STILL walking past me!) "cut" me when the employee says "next in line", and there are CLEAR and BIG signs indicating priority service for Premier Members. There are also always non Premier members in that line. Hey - AMC decided I should get a special line if I pay a membership fee, NOT me. But you're daggone tootin' that I'm going to USE, and get vocal about, when my "promised and paid for privileges" are disregarded. One of my most "HA!!!!!" moments lately was when a young lady gave me that "knowing grin"while cutting in front of me - literally AND physically, while mumbling something to her boyfriend about "THOSE people in THAT line". The employee kindly informed her I was next (thanked that employee muchly for doing the right thing, since the customer didn't, which I feel is the RIGHT thing for any employee/CM in this situation to do. As I myself have worked in many customer/public service settings, this is what I have always tried to do. As I stepped up to the counter, I gave "THAT person" the royal wave. Felt darn good. Was tempted to wave with only ONE finger, but I was nice, and used all of them. :blush:

Sometimes makes me feel like an old carmudgeon (thinking Carl in Up), :crutches:but I also think it's a lack of respect on the part of the (mostly, from what I've personally experienced this behavior from) young whippersnappers :laughing:who do this. I would NEVER have even THOUGHT about doing that at their age - respected clearly marked lines, and most especially "older than me" folks (still do!), and those with canes.

And they always act confused and clueless. I can just tell they ain't. :mad:
Even though this is sorta off topic for the thread my local AMC theater recently took away the Premiere line at the Concession stand in favor of just 1 line period.

They still have the Premiere as far as I know at the box office but we majority of the time just buy tickets online since the discount tickets several years ago started having so many restrictions and if we go on a Tuesday to get the savings one of us will go to the theater to buy the tickets (since you can't buy them online and get the discount) but the Premiere line isn't needed as there's usually no one there in line.

Now my AMC Stubs is old..I was on the MovieWatcher program back in 2004 and was automatically rolled into the AMC Stubs program and then was automatically rolled into a Premiere member when they started that so I don't have a sticker that says Premiere which I was told for a short time they had and I'm not wanting to get a new card or anything but I wouldn't even consider if I wasn't Premiere going through that line. Premiere costs $15 a year now and Insider is free. I don't pay for a quicker line but it is a perk that AMC put in (though only at the box office at my local theater that I frequent the most).

I'll have to see if they only removed it for the Holidays and have since put it back though but I have a feeling they just took it away completely for the concession stand.

On the AP front for Disney I know people go through that line without being AP but hopefully it's not in big numbers that really affects how the line flow is for those that actually are AP holders.

Even though this is sorta off topic for the thread my local AMC theater recently took away the Premiere line at the Concession stand in favor of just 1 line period.

They still have the Premiere as far as I know at the box office but we majority of the time just buy tickets online since the discount tickets several years ago started having so many restrictions and if we go on a Tuesday to get the savings one of us will go to the theater to buy the tickets (since you can't buy them online and get the discount) but the Premiere line isn't needed as there's usually no one there in line.

Now my AMC Stubs is old..I was on the MovieWatcher program back in 2004 and was automatically rolled into the AMC Stubs so I don't have a sticker that says Premiere which I was told for a short time they had and I'm not wanting to get a new card or anything but I wouldn't even consider if I wasn't Premiere going through that line. Premiere costs $15 a year now and Insider is free. I don't pay for a quicker line but it is a perk that AMC put in (though only at the box office at my local theater that I frequent the most).

I'll have to see if they only removed it for the Holidays and have since put it back though but I have a feeling they just took it away completely for the concession stand.

On the AP front for Disney I know people go through that line without being AP but hopefully it's not in big numbers that really affects how the line flow is for those that actually are AP holders.
The theaters around here only started doing this about a year ago. Before that, you just got the other benefits associated, which I'm absolutely fine with - I want to make sure no one thinks I'm an elitist. LOL. But - if AMC, Disney, or any other "business" promises me something "extra" for extra money, then yes - I want it reasonably given, and any system enforced for abusers. Or - don't do it, don't charge me, and I wont' pay. :)

Disney doesn't do a great job of demarcating the AP line IMO. At one park, it was roped off with the big sign. At another, there was a sign maybe 20 feet from the touchpoint but nothing else to really isolate it so I can easily see people innocently getting in that line without realizing it. I also think they nee at least 4 scanners, not 2.

The theaters around here only started doing this about a year ago. Before that, you just got the other benefits associated, which I'm absolutely fine with - I want to make sure no one thinks I'm an elitist. LOL. But - if AMC, Disney, or any other "business" promises me something "extra" for extra money, then yes - I want it reasonably given, and any system enforced for abusers. Or - don't do it, don't charge me, and I wont' pay. :)
Yeah the Premiere line just sorta popped up one day at AMC probably around the same time as yours.

I wouldn't think you're elitist either. It's a perk provided to you for being X :)

Okay, I'm "heeling" a bit, but still growling underneath my breath. :furious: :rotfl2:

Have you heard anything about how it's been working at other hotels that have done it?
Not a peep. The folks over on the various hotel forums on Flyer Talk hardly mention it at all.

So 2 years ago we were staying at OKW in a 1BR. My twin DDs, 16 then, and I flew in while DH drove. So the girls and I got to our room and I went in master bed to nap while waiting for DH. DDs were in living room on their electronics. I was woken to my girls yelling for me. Apparently a maintenance CM knocked and then just walked right in. I came out and he said he had to see if our phone was working. It was. He left. My DDs were a little creeped out but they got over it.

Then this past Oct we were at AKV Jambo and in-laws were also there. A CM walked right in their room and BIL was standing there in the buff. SIL was irked and wanted to go complain. BIL kinda shrugged it off. Not sure if they complained.

I now latch the bolt thing whenever we are in room. But I read somewhere that the CMs have ability to unlatch it. Not sure if that's true. Wouldn't surprise me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter