This year is lookin good..Get it? Because it's 2020?- Another international Disney PTR

Ugh i am so sorry about the May trip! Hopefully they will get a handle on a time line soon!

I feel like you are exactly right every thing is changing so quickly! Finger crossed for you!
Now we're talking about moving forward with switching our dates since we have a DVC reservation with some points that we absolutely have to use this year. It might be better to switch while there's still availability. So many variables to consider!

May WDW June WDW

Alright so we finally pulled the plug on May. Since we were supposed to land May 1 it just felt like we were cutting it too close to say for sure that the parks would be open. We didn't want to wait too long and then not have anything available for later in the summer,especially since we have DVC points that have to be used this year or we lose them.

So we are rebooked for June 19-28 with a split stay. The first half is at AKV- Kidani in a Savannah view and the second half is at CBR. I'm actually excited about both resorts. We both have wanted to stay at AKV for a while and it was the only resort besides Saratoga Springs that had the availability we were looking for. And CBR will be nice since it's on the Skyliner route. I know people normally suggest to do a mod first then move to deluxe but there was no availability for that. Plus we aren't super picky and I know we'll just be grateful to finally be back at WDW that it won't make a difference to us.

Really the only specific things we're missing out on (besides staying at Beach Club for the first time) would be Dapper Day, May the 4th, and the DVC event. I'm most bummed about the DVC event but I'm sure we'll have another chance to attend at some point.

I went ahead and got ADRs scheduled. The only one we had for May that I couldn't get for June was Ohana, but I'll keep trying back for that. And I even got to add our Homecoming brunch back in since I had to take it out of our May plans to make room for Dapper Day!

We also have Sanaa and Boma booked while we're at AKV, Hoop Dee Doo, Beaches & Cream, and we switched out our character breakfast on our last day from Cape May Cafe to Toppolino's Terrace since we'll be right next to the Riviera.

I'm going through all the motions of planning this trip but I'm also trying not to get too excited about it since I know there's still a chance it won't happen since there are so many FOOLS out there who won't STAY HOME.

Also, this is a total side note, does anyone else feel a crushing sadness knowing all the Disney parks in the world are closed right now? It seems strange because I'm not local to any so it's not like I could just take off and go to the parks when I wanted, but just knowing that they're completely empty has made me so melancholy.

Anyway enough of that.

China ABD

This is still on the books but it's definitely a wait-and-see situation since I'm not 100% confident either way. I could easily see China pretty much back to life as normal but with how far behind the US is, we might not be allowed to travel internationally for a bit.

We're holding off on booking flights there (we already had our return flights booked with reward points). We really need to start the visa process at the end of May so I'm hoping ABD has an answer by then. But I know they've been super late to the party as far as cancelling trips lately. Thankfully they pushed our final payment date out 30 days so we won't have to give them all our money until the end of May instead of the beginning.

Originally our plan was to use gift cards that we bought with our Target card to save 5% on the trip but with the uncertainty we're just going to go with a regular ole credit card if they don't cancel before final payment. If we have to deal with a refund it will be so much easier on a credit card than tons of gift cards.

October (birthday) WDW

I have reasonable optimism that my October birthday trip will still be a go. My ADR date is about a month out but I'm not sure if I want to make any ADRs since I really like the idea of just doing what I want in the moment, like I did on my Disneyland trip in November. (Which, if you aren't reading that TR then you should be! So far it's featured a ton of Star Wars, a trip to Trader Sam's, SO many character greetings, and a churro. It's right here). Plus the only meals I would want to do are character meals and I don't know how to get good photos at those if I'm by myself!

Reactions: DLo
Alright so we finally pulled the plug on May. Since we were supposed to land May 1 it just felt like we were cutting it too close
Sorry, but... probably a wise decision.

I was thinking about this last night.
Let's say the parks open on a certain date... do you really want to go to a crowded park, right after opening... when this virus thing could have a second wave?
So we are rebooked for June 19-28 with a split stay.
IF that trip happens... we'll miss you by just two days!
And CBR will be nice since it's on the Skyliner route.
::yes::
Really the only specific things we're missing out on (besides staying at Beach Club for the first time) would be Dapper Day,
Too bad. That was fun. :)
I'm going through all the motions of planning this trip but I'm also trying not to get too excited about it since I know there's still a chance it won't happen
Yeah... I haven't done anything. I'm 95% sure I'm going to be cancelling anyways.
Also, this is a total side note, does anyone else feel a crushing sadness knowing all the Disney parks in the world are closed right now?
Yes and no. I've never really thought about visiting the parks outside the US.
But I did think of that about DL and WDW.
This is still on the books but it's definitely a wait-and-see situation since I'm not 100% confident either way.
Can see that, too.
I have reasonable optimism that my October birthday trip will still be a go.
I sure hope so!
Hmmm... maybe I'll do the same. :)

IF that trip happens... we'll miss you by just two days!
So close!

Yeah... I haven't done anything. I'm 95% sure I'm going to be cancelling anyways.
I'll still go through the motions of planning out days and getting FPs when the date opens just because I don't want to be caught with nothing planned but I'm definitely trying to keep my emotions in check when I do it.

Yes and no. I've never really thought about visiting the parks outside the US.
But I did think of that about DL and WDW.
It's just weird thinking that no one, anywhere in the entire world, can be at a Disney park. Crazy.

Hmmm... maybe I'll do the same. :)
Have reasonable optimism?

I agree it is SOOOO sad to think about the fact that all the Disney parks are closed. When I saw the article yesterday about how the security guards are still raising the flag each day, it made me all teary eyed. It's so bizarre to see the park so empty :(

I'm sad you had to reschedule your trip. We're in the same boat. We were able to reschedule for June, but I'm worried even that won't be a safe date because so many people still aren't staying home. There are actually police cars sitting in the park behind our house because people keep showing up there in groups. I can't even believe how blatantly disrespectful people are being of one another during this time!

I agree it is SOOOO sad to think about the fact that all the Disney parks are closed. When I saw the article yesterday about how the security guards are still raising the flag each day, it made me all teary eyed. It's so bizarre to see the park so empty :(

I'm sad you had to reschedule your trip. We're in the same boat. We were able to reschedule for June, but I'm worried even that won't be a safe date because so many people still aren't staying home. There are actually police cars sitting in the park behind our house because people keep showing up there in groups. I can't even believe how blatantly disrespectful people are being of one another during this time!
Yes, that article and the one about the light staying on in Walt's apartment both gave me the feels!

I'll still go through the motions of planning out days and getting FPs when the date opens just because I don't want to be caught with nothing planned but I'm definitely trying to keep my emotions in check when I do it.
I get that.
It's just weird thinking that no one, anywhere in the entire world, can be at a Disney park. Crazy.
I know... kinda… spooky.
Have reasonable optimism?
Go in October.

Alright so we finally pulled the plug on May. Since we were supposed to land May 1 it just felt like we were cutting it too close to say for sure that the parks would be open. We didn't want to wait too long and then not have anything available for later in the summer,especially since we have DVC points that have to be used this year or we lose them.

I feel your pain with the DVC situation. We are booked until July, so still holding out hope we are going to be ok, but it doesn't appear DVC is giving any options to people as far as their points if affected by this. We are passed our banking window as many people are, so if they don't get used we are out of luck. Anyway, hopefully for the sake of everyone involved this thing ends as quickly as possible.

I feel your pain with the DVC situation. We are booked until July, so still holding out hope we are going to be ok, but it doesn't appear DVC is giving any options to people as far as their points if affected by this. We are passed our banking window as many people are, so if they don't get used we are out of luck. Anyway, hopefully for the sake of everyone involved this thing ends as quickly as possible.
Luckily we have a December UY so we have some time but I know their policy on not returning banked points is really putting a lot of people out. I feel for you guys!

I'm really hopeful that the parks will be reopened by June. I'm supposed to be there the 11th, but I think if anything stops me it'll be the travel bans in place for Europe. I don't know, maybe I'm just sticking with optimism. But Disney did recently start a free dining deal on June 1st, so maybe....

Sorry to hear about missing the DVC event, though. I remember reading about how many devices you used to make sure you got a spot! That's a bummer.
But on the positive side, at least most of your ADRs were available! While no Ohana yet, hopefully the Homecomin' brunch will soften that pot sticker-filled blow. ::yes::

I'm really hopeful that the parks will be reopened by June. I'm supposed to be there the 11th, but I think if anything stops me it'll be the travel bans in place for Europe. I don't know, maybe I'm just sticking with optimism. But Disney did recently start a free dining deal on June 1st, so maybe....
It's such a weird time to be planning a Disney trip. I'm also trying to be optimistic but I'm telling myself not to get too excited, which is the exact opposite of normal haha

It will be interesting to see how everything 'normal' gets phased back in, including international travel. I hope your family is doing well through all of this over there!

But on the positive side, at least most of your ADRs were available! While no Ohana yet, hopefully the Homecomin' brunch will soften that pot sticker-filled blow. ::yes::
Yes, so true! I keep checking for Ohana so maybe it will pop up. Even if it doesn't, our motto this trip will be "At least we're at Disney" 😅

Oh girl i am so sorry about your May trip! I have my fingers crossed for you for June and China!

This all moves so quick its crazy! I tentatively am planning a trip for early June cause i am going to need a distraction with this reality going on!

i have started reading your new report, but haven't been able to comment yet... soon soon i promise!

This all moves so quick its crazy! I tentatively am planning a trip for early June cause i am going to need a distraction with this reality going on!
SO quick! I can't believe that only a month ago I was thinking of potential alternative places for us to travel if China was still closed in August. It hadn't crossed my mind yet that we might not be able to go anywhere at all!

i have started reading your new report, but haven't been able to comment yet... soon soon i promise!
Oh yay!!

Let's do something fun! I want to make a reservation at Disney Springs for my birthday in October and I'm interested to see what you would pick!

So, if you were celebrating your birthday at Disney Springs (potentially solo, potentially not), where would you eat and why? I've only eaten at a few restaurants at DS so I'm not as familiar with what they all have to offer. I've had dinner Raglan Road and Homecoming and apps/drinks at the Edison. Those definitely aren't off the table but this might be a fun time to try something new!

Bonus points if you have any suggestions for adult beverages. I love a good craft cocktail.

When we went to DS in April, we went to Paddlefish. If you like seafood, this is excellent and at a lower price point than the Boathouse. Otherwise, the best are Boathouse (more expensive seafood), Homecomin', Frontera Cocina (Rick Bayless' Mexican), Morimoto Asia (Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto Pan-Asian), and Jaleo (Jose Andres Spanish). I've heard good to great things about most of these, but the only one I can vouch for is Paddlefish.

I haven't eaten at many places at DS at all, so I'm probably not the best to give advice, BUT many of my DIS-friends absolutely rave about Jock Lindsay's Hanger Bar. The apps and drink pics they post always leave me thinking I am totally missing out, having never been there, so I'll throw a vote in for that!

Let's do something fun! I want to make a reservation at Disney Springs for my birthday in October and I'm interested to see what you would pick!
Funny. The first thing I thought of was Homecomin'.
But if it's a birthday and you want to splurge a bit, Boathouse is really nice. Ask for a window table.
Then again, I wouldn't mind trying a few new-to-me places too.
I've heard such good things about Terralina if you want Italian. Also Wine Bar George. I think that's where you can get a Dole Whip cocktail.

When we went to DS in April, we went to Paddlefish. If you like seafood, this is excellent and at a lower price point than the Boathouse. Otherwise, the best are Boathouse (more expensive seafood), Homecomin', Frontera Cocina (Rick Bayless' Mexican), Morimoto Asia (Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto Pan-Asian), and Jaleo (Jose Andres Spanish). I've heard good to great things about most of these, but the only one I can vouch for is Paddlefish.
Those all sound good! You aren't helping me narrow it down at all :rotfl:

I haven't eaten at many places at DS at all, so I'm probably not the best to give advice, BUT many of my DIS-friends absolutely rave about Jock Lindsay's Hanger Bar. The apps and drink pics they post always leave me thinking I am totally missing out, having never been there, so I'll throw a vote in for that!
Oh I didn't even think about Jock Lindsey's! I'm looking at the menu now and it looks fantastic. I also want to do some DS time after my Universal day so that might be a good spot to check out!

Funny. The first thing I thought of was Homecomin'.
But if it's a birthday and you want to splurge a bit, Boathouse is really nice. Ask for a window table.
Then again, I wouldn't mind trying a few new-to-me places too.
I've heard such good things about Terralina if you want Italian. Also Wine Bar George. I think that's where you can get a Dole Whip cocktail.
Let me tell you it's going to be hard to drag myself away from Homecoming. It is one of my favorite meals on property. I've heard good things about the Boathouse, but I know Jon really wants to try that one so we'll probably do that for the first time together.

And yes that's definitely where you get the Dole Whip cocktail. It's the Frozcato with Dole Whip, Moscato, and vodka. They also have a Friezling with lime Dole Whip, Riesling, and vodka. I'm hoping to go on our June trip and try and least one of them but I'll for sure be going back on the birthday trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!