This year is lookin good..Get it? Because it's 2020?- Another international Disney PTR

Wow guys at this point I'm more excited about the drinks than the food! It's also making me realize that I should try to get some friends to go with me so I don't have to do all this drinking alone 😅 😅 😅

Let me tell you it's going to be hard to drag myself away from Homecoming. It is one of my favorite meals on property. I've heard good things about the Boathouse, but I know Jon really wants to try that one so we'll probably do that for the first time together.
I totally get that. Boathouse is best shared with a loved one. :)
And yes that's definitely where you get the Dole Whip cocktail. It's the Frozcato with Dole Whip, Moscato, and vodka.
That's the one!
They also have a Friezling with lime Dole Whip, Riesling, and vodka.
I need both of these drinks in my life!
I'm hoping to go on our June trip and try and least one of them but I'll for sure be going back on the birthday trip.
I hope so too... but I'm not banking on a June trip.

Alright well this is one almost-update and a bunch of random musing.

China

For the almost-update, I checked the ABD website today (as I've been doing every day for the last 3 months) and saw that all dates for the China trips before Sep 13 have been removed. I expect to get an official cancellation notice anytime. We'll request a full refund and go about cancelling airfare. Luckily we only had our return trip booked and it was with points. With United's current policy we should be able to get all of those points back without any fees.

We've got a couple of backup plans for ways to get out and about at that time, but it all depends on whether that's allowed or not. Our ideal plan is Hawaii, since it's domestic but still adventurous. But I know Hawaii is under really tight lock down. Anyone who flies in has to be quarantined for 2 weeks. And there's no word on when/if they'll ease up and let travelers back in. It would also include flying which I know causes some unease.

Our "safer" backup is a road trip to the Smoky Mountains and renting a cabin. We would stick to hiking/relaxing up there and not so much any tourist attractions. That would at least let us get away and we wouldn't have to fly.

And I have no idea what my work's policy on personal travel will be. Right now I'm half on site half at home but in two weeks I'll be back to full time onsite. So if they have something in place where if you fly or travel or do anything like that then you have to isolate for 2 weeks I'm not sure it would be worth it.
Whatever we choose I know will be fairly last minute, depending on what's allowed and when things open up. For now I'm just resting easy knowing that China is (almost) officially cancelled and we can get our money back. We fully intend on going to China - either next year or the year after.

June WDW

I'm starting to really question this one. While the parks *might* be open by June 20, there's a very real chance that they will be super restricted. Is it worth the time, money, DVC points, etc to go down there if we can only do a few park days and not everything is open? I'm thinking not. I'd rather wait until October when I think more will be open. But Jon wouldn't be able to go on that trip so there's a lot of fun new stuff I would do on my own without him.
We need to talk about that because once again with DVC it's a situation where these points need to be used this year so if we're going to cancel we need to do it soon enough to book something while it's available.

June 2021 WDW!

This is a fun new one! I've been trying to get my whole family together to go to WDW, and my mom finally agreed! We're looking at the first week of next June and it will be a graduation trip of sorts for my brother, who will be a senior in HS this year. It will be exactly 10 years since the only other time we've been as a whole family, which was for my graduation! My littlest brother was 5 at the time and doesn't remember much of it. Fun fact - his name is Anakin and one of the cutest things I've ever seen in my life is 5 year old him marching up to Darth Vader and saying "We have the same name" and Darth asking him to join the dark side.

Another funny story is that we were too late to get him signed up for Jedi training and he was so sad. But my mom made up an Honorary Jedi Training Certificate and told him as long as he stood next to the stage and did what all the kids onstage did then he would also pass Jedi training. When the show was over she gave him the certificate and let him go pick out a lightsaber.

To this day he doesn't know that was fake.

Anyway, getting them to Batuu has been a priority since I knew they were building it. And now it's going to happen!

They want to do 3-4 park days and I'm really hoping that 4 Park Magic ticket comes back next year since it would be perfect for them. We're treating them to a 1 bedroom DVC villa for the trip so they can stay onsite and get the 60 day FP window. I'm thinking Saratoga Springs just because it's close to Disney Springs, which they'll really like, and has a low point per night cost. After the Disney portion we'll head to the beach, probably near Clearwater since we have family over there.

We'll probably head down early and do some of our own park stuff, especially if Jon and I can't make it down there together before then.

That's all for now. Going to go scream into the void for a bit and then remind myself what day it is.

saw that all dates for the China trips before Sep 13 have been removed. I expect to get an official cancellation notice anytime.
Sorry about that, but... guess not overly surprising.
I know Hawaii is under really tight lock down. Anyone who flies in has to be quarantined for 2 weeks. And there's no word on when/if they'll ease up and let travelers back in.
Did not know that, but makes sense. We were just talking about Hawaii last night.
And I have no idea what my work's policy on personal travel will be. Right now I'm half on site half at home but in two weeks I'll be back to full time onsite. So if they have something in place where if you fly or travel or do anything like that then you have to isolate for 2 weeks I'm not sure it would be worth it.
That's where I am. If I travel, I have to self-isolate for 14 days afterwards prior to returning to work.
So if I want a week off and go somewhere... I actually have to take 3 weeks off.
I'm starting to really question this one. While the parks *might* be open by June 20,
Yeah...
I've been trying to get my whole family together to go to WDW, and my mom finally agreed!
Great! :)
Fun fact - his name is Anakin and one of the cutest things I've ever seen in my life is 5 year old him marching up to Darth Vader and saying "We have the same name" and Darth asking him to join the dark side.
:laughing:
Another funny story is that we were too late to get him signed up for Jedi training and he was so sad. But my mom made up an Honorary Jedi Training Certificate and told him as long as he stood next to the stage and did what all the kids onstage did then he would also pass Jedi training. When the show was over she gave him the certificate and let him go pick out a lightsaber.
Awwwww...
That's all for now. Going to go scream into the void for a bit and then remind myself what day it is.
:hug:

Sorry about that, but... guess not overly surprising.
I'm honestly just relieved. At this point we really didn't want to have to deal with it but we also didn't want to lose our money by cancelling.

That's where I am. If I travel, I have to self-isolate for 14 days afterwards prior to returning to work.
So if I want a week off and go somewhere... I actually have to take 3 weeks off.
Thankfully my job can be done remotely but this summer I'll be managing interns and with a week off plus 2 weeks at home I'd be out of the office for three weeks which would be irresponsible at that point.

Awwwww...
The kid is 14 years old now and I was asking him about it and he truly still believes that it was legit.

It's definitely a bummer not to be able to go on your China trip as planned, but what a relief to finally have the answer AND best of all, get all your money back!!

I like the sound of your back-up plans. We have been trying to make some plans for the rest of the summer, and it's frustrating and difficult without really knowing how the world will "look" a few weeks and/or months from now.

My littlest brother was 5 at the time and doesn't remember much of it. Fun fact - his name is Anakin and one of the cutest things I've ever seen in my life is 5 year old him marching up to Darth Vader and saying "We have the same name" and Darth asking him to join the dark side.
That is such a cute story!!

To this day he doesn't know that was fake.
Mom FTW!! Sheer brilliance, honestly.

I like that. Definitely need to schedule some time in my day to step away from the laptop and get a little scream in.

but what a relief to finally have the answer AND best of all, get all your money back!!
Exactly!

We have been trying to make some plans for the rest of the summer, and it's frustrating and difficult without really knowing how the world will "look" a few weeks and/or months from now.
Yep, so much uncertainty!

Although I realized that my family usually rents a house on Lake Superior in Minnesota each summer and we're never able to go because of our other travel plans. This year we actually have the chance to go so we might be able to do that!

Mom FTW!! Sheer brilliance, honestly.
For real. It makes me wonder what lies I swallowed with absolute certainty.

I'm honestly just relieved. At this point we really didn't want to have to deal with it but we also didn't want to lose our money by cancelling.
I can see that.
Thankfully my job can be done remotely but this summer I'll be managing interns and with a week off plus 2 weeks at home I'd be out of the office for three weeks which would be irresponsible at that point.
I get that. Right now, all leave is canceled at our work. They're starting to talk about allowing some, but... where are you going to go??
The kid is 14 years old now and I was asking him about it and he truly still believes that it was legit.
Thinking about doing something about that?

Sorry about China :( I know it was inevitable but still stinks!

Your plans for June 2021 sound so fun!
I think the sadness has passed. I was definitely bummed a couple months ago when it really hit that the trip probably wouldn't happen so by now I'm just relieved to have it officially cancelled, our money is on its way back to us, and we can stop worrying about it.

Yes we're pumped for next June!! I've been talking about it with my mom and she's so excited.

Always depressing when a trip gets canceled, but i am sure also a slight relief. Hopefully you will get China rescheduled soon enough!

UGH i am stressing out this summer too, if i can go somewhere, do i need to isolate before going back to work? What are the rules going to be.... i mean i am a planner so this all stresses me out! ok that was a side ran!

What a bummer if June doesn't happen, and with Jon's work not being able to make it in October! But how exciting foes next June look!!

Big news: I finally started our DCL trip report from February! Check it out HERE.

It's been an equal mix of catharsis and despair writing about the pre-Covid era when we could leave our homes and even our countries at will. Anyway, it was a super fun trip and I'm going to enjoy reliving it. If you think you would too, give it a look.

In WDW news, obviously our June trip did not happen. I managed to get a DVC stay booked for my weekend trip so I can use the points we would lose this year if we didn't used them. But I'm kind of excited because my reservation is now at the Poly! I've always wanted to stay there and the fact that I'll be there on my birthday lessens the sting of all this mess just the littlest bit. I also got my park passes reserved and I'm beyond bummed about no park hopping, especially since it's super convenient as a solo traveler.

Oh well, I'm telling myself "At least I'll be at Disney. At least I'll be at Disney." Ad nauseam.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts