Those who don't like the Dining Plan,

I agree with Pembo. Although I haven't run the exact numbers for what, if any, the plan would save us, it is just way too much food. An appetizer, meal and dessert for my 3, 6 & 8 year olds? No way! I couldn't even eat that much. I might order an app. or dessert once or twice the whole trip, can't imagine having BOTH with my meal EVERY night! I would feel so sick afterward! Not to mention how much weight people must gain on this plan if they actually eat all of their food. And if they don't, then what a waste! I think I'll just stick with our own family dining plan.

On our 9-day trip last Dec we ate 13 TS meals and 3 CS meals, including 2 signature restaurants. We are not huge eaters and seldom order appetizers. We do often get dessert but not all the time. We had very few snacks, maybe 6-8 total (i.e. 2 per person) including water bottles. Since we were staying at our DVC resort, we could not have used the dining plan at the time, but now it is possible.

Bottom Line: using our DDE card we paid $1060 for these meals. The dining plan costs at that time were I believe $35 per adult and $10 per child per day, which would have been $1035 for us. At today's costs of $38 per adult and $11 per child per day, it would cost $1125.

But on the dining plan, we could only have eaten 8 TS meals and the rest CS, even if we gave up our two signature restaurants. If we kept those, we would have had to pay cash for two other meals.

Clearly for us the dining plan would have been much worse than the DDE card, either forcing us to eat a lot more CS meals for the same cost, or costing us a lot more if we stuck with our own dining habits.

It's not so much a matter of the DDE card vs the Dining Plan. The card only saved us $160, so even without it we were better off without the Dining Plan. It's more a matter of the people in your party and their dining habits.

I can see where the dining plan could save a lot of money for some parties, especially a party of all adults with big appetites and expensive tastes. But it certainly doesn't work for everyone.

We just returned from WDW. We could not do the DP, as we were renting points from a DVC member. (DVC members were just allowed on the DP starting on April 1st...we checked out March 31st.) There are 4 of us, all adults on the plan...with DS15 (today!) and DS12. So, as you can see, teenage boys with appetites and who are not picky eaters.

Out of curiosity, I decided to keep all our receipts for meals and snacks and figure out whether or not we'd have saved money on the plan. Because I was doing this, I decided that we would eat more TS than we have in the past, because this is what the DP would have allowed us to do. Plus, I did not force anyone to share or tell anyone they couldn't order something because it was too expensive. (The boys were surprised by this!) Basically, I tried to pretend we were on the plan.

Long story short, we ended up saving over $50. Of course, we never ordered 4 appetizers or 4 desserts...but only because we didn't want them. Again, I would have allowed this, because of my little "experiment." Oh, and I always tipped at least 20% (had great service). And yes, I counted the tips, because the DP would have.

The one thing I didn't do was keep us at one snack, one CS, and one TS a day. In fact, two days we ate TS for lunch and dinner, and there was only one day all of us did not do TS, and one day when our boys did CS and we did TS.

So, for us, it would not have been worth it...this time. Our friends had it, and they loved it. Some like it simply because it's prepaid. I admit, I started to panic when I saw some of the bills. Research carefully, and decide what's right for you and your party.

I do think the real negative from DP itself is the fact that it makes TS restaurants busier than they've been in the past, and difficult for spontaniety.

I've read this thread with the biggest sense of relief--I thought my family was the ONLY family not to have the DDP! :blush:

We're fairly light eaters and with a newly minted 10YO DS this would put us in the $125 DDP/day range and still leave us potentially one meal shy a day that we'll have to pay for out of pocket. And I don't think we could ever eat enough food at one sitting (appetizer, entreé and dessert) to cover the cost of the meal.

I used AAA for a discounted room rate (CR) and think that the savings from that far outweighs eating "pre paid". I also bought discounted park tickets so we'd incur the extra cost of having to buy a one day base ticket for everyone in our family if we went with DDP.

Truth be told, it probably all comes out a wash for my family after you figure out room/ticket/dining costs. I'm just relieved that we won't be the only family on Disney property paying for dinner with cash! :rotfl:

I guess whether or not you get the DDP comes down to several factors:

1. Do you have an AP and DDE? (not me) If so, the dinning plan isn't really going to work for you.

2. Do you like to plan/orgainize your trip in advance or are you a more spontaneous traveller? (I am the former, my husband is the latter). Just because you are on the dinning plan, you don't have to make ADRs. Just because you're not on the dinning plan doesn't mean you shouldn't make ADRs. Personally since I'm the only one in our family (including other relatives who are meeting us there) who knows what the ADR are it will be a surprise for all my spontaneous relatives.

3. What kind of meals do you like? (we really prefer the Table Service meals, but eat counter service too)

When I did an analysis of where we are going to eat (remember I'm the planner in the family) I could easily approximate (with the help of the menus on Allear.net) what we would spend. Table service meals for us at most restaurants with drink,tax,and tip was around $30 per adult and $12 per child (for a family of 2 adults and 2 children I calculated 1 appetizer, 2 adult entrees, and 2 kids entrees plus drinks for 4 --no dessert). A light lunch at a counter service place was around $12 adult, $8 child. That's already up to $42. Without the plan I approximated that we'd spend about $250 more.

Are we going to order an appetizer and dessert per person for every table service meal? Doubtful, but we're coming out ahead so we'll order whatever we feel like. There are a couple of restaurants where each adult might share a meal (appetizer, entree and dessert) with each child.

Since the plan comes with snacks which include bottled water, I will no longer have to tote my own bottles.

The plan won't pay for all of our meals, but you better believe that we'll be using it on the more expensive ones!

For those of you who use the DDP or those lucky enough to have it for FREE this Fall...here is a suggestion.
Last year we were on the DDP (myself, DH, DS11, & DD6) and there were several times we just could not eat all the food that was offered especially the app. and desserts. We would ask those folks sitting around us if they were on the DDP...if their answer was 'no' we offered them a "free" appetizer and/or dessert. It was great...people were always excited and happy to take our offer and we felt great about not wasting food as well as spreading a little magic. Also, the CMs were fine with this.
BTW...we loved the dining plan and we throughly enjoyed being able to order without having to worry about cost because it was already paid for. Our food tab for 10 days was $1800.00. It was worth it for us.

Briar Rose's Mom said:
I guess whether or not you get the DDP comes down to several factors:

1. Do you have an AP and DDE? (not me) If so, the dinning plan isn't really going to work for you.

2. Do you like to plan/orgainize your trip in advance or are you a more spontaneous traveller? (I am the former, my husband is the latter). Just because you are on the dinning plan, you don't have to make ADRs. Just because you're not on the dinning plan doesn't mean you shouldn't make ADRs. Personally since I'm the only one in our family (including other relatives who are meeting us there) who knows what the ADR are it will be a surprise for all my spontaneous relatives.

3. What kind of meals do you like? (we really prefer the Table Service meals, but eat counter service too)

When I did an analysis of where we are going to eat (remember I'm the planner in the family) I could easily approximate (with the help of the menus on Allear.net) what we would spend. Table service meals for us at most restaurants with drink,tax,and tip was around $30 per adult and $12 per child (for a family of 2 adults and 2 children I calculated 1 appetizer, 2 adult entrees, and 2 kids entrees plus drinks for 4 --no dessert). A light lunch at a counter service place was around $12 adult, $8 child. That's already up to $42. Without the plan I approximated that we'd spend about $250 more.

Are we going to order an appetizer and dessert per person for every table service meal? Doubtful, but we're coming out ahead so we'll order whatever we feel like. There are a couple of restaurants where each adult might share a meal (appetizer, entree and dessert) with each child.

Since the plan comes with snacks which include bottled water, I will no longer have to tote my own bottles.

The plan won't pay for all of our meals, but you better believe that we'll be using it on the more expensive ones!
One thing to add about item #3. Will your TS meals be for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? We make ADR's well in advance, but the TS meals we eat during a trip are at lunch or breakfast; they cost less than $25 per meal.

We too are debating whether to use DP in December, so this is great information. The receipt tallying is very helpful.

We probably won't need to order the appetizer and desserts, and we will probably share CS so we can double up the TS for special stuff.

The bottom line for me is...getting to go out to eat and not having to worry about what to cook and having the energy to clean up the kitchen.
Everyone gets to eat whatever they want to eat...not what mom puts in front of you at home, or the cheapest thing on the menu because that's what we can afford.

I think I am willing to babysit a few extra kids to save up the money and pay the extra $175.43 or whatever so I can relax. I don't want to drag my kids out of the park to eat, or rise at the crack of dawn to pack PBJ sandwiches in a cooler and find a locker. It's a vacation for crying out loud. It's not everyday that this poor mom gets that luxury. I don't have to spin in a teapot or hug a princess to have a great vacation. I'm happy that somebody else is feeding my kids.

The DP certainly can save $$--but as we see from all the posts, it is VERY confusing. And, apparently, not only to the customer--.
Since we only do TS "signature" restaurants, and we always get alcohol with our meals, we save more with the DDE card. Will get 3 uses out of that in one year.

Last year we choose not to do the plan. I have an AP & DDE. After I arrived home, I added up the dining receipts. Had I not had the AP discount on the room we would have saved using the DP.

This year we are splitting our stay & I have chosen to do the DP when we check-in at SSR. I have run the numbers myself & even if my 2 "adults" order kids meals we'll still be ahead.

The dining plan is not for everyone. Each guest needs to decide for themselves if its worth it for them based on their individual dining habits.

Well, I bought the ddp for our May trip (never been on it before) and I have all my ADR's made. The reason I got it (we are a family of 4 ~ 2A, 2C) was we hade 4 ADR's made that I refused to give up. Given that, I checked the menus on allears, budgeted out how much those 4 ADR's and CS for the rest of trip (with sharing!) and the plan would save us $250 bucks! Now that's with only 4 TS. Now with the plan we'll have 9 TS and I've spread them between lunch and dinner and 1 breakfast. We're excited to try it, and now we'll be able to have more Character dining. I guess it really depends on your family and how you eat. We plan on using our CS credits with sharing to stretch it to cover breakfasts, too. I'm sure there will be a few $$ spent on non plan stuff, like marshmallow sticks from the bakery, and I know if I have extra snack credits, I'm stockin' up on Krispie Bars. :teeth:

I'm also looking forward to just having meals "taken care of" and not having to worry when my husband wants steak at every resteraunt! :lmao:

Although I loved the dining plan when we went (me, mom, dad and god daughter) last Nov/Dec - for my May trip (just mom and I) I really debated on if the dining plan was right for the two of us. We rarely both order appetizers and desserts (usually we share one of each and order our own entrees).

However, after costing out the dining costs for the trip I found that it would be about the same price with the dining plan or without. The difference with the dining plan are the snacks/cs desserts/not having to share - plus it allows me to order what I REALLY want (filet mignon anyone) and not what I feel I can afford (chicken/pasta).

So for us this trip, it's a wash but for the convenience, I decided to go with the plan.

Just remember a 3 year old cannot eat off you plate at a buffet. They will be charged. Charge will probably be more than cost of DP for the day.

I actually just did the spread sheet last night. We had free dining last year but can't partake this year because our trip is later so I was trying to figure out if we should pay in advance & eat DDP or pay out of pocket as we go in '06.
8 nites @ 3 guests (2A & 1C) = 24 CS, 24 TS & 24 snacks
We only used 22 CS & 6 TS BUT we had 37 (yes you read that right, 37 snacks - mostly water, diet coke, pop corn & Mickey bars)
We really don't go on vacation to eat, it's just not a priority for us. DH actually came home 8# lighter & I lost 4# on vacay in '05. Very often I'll order a CS child's meal for myself.
Had I paid oop for the above it would have been $430. Dining plan this year would cost us $696.

We originally planned our trip for over President's Day and then switched it for the end of May to take advantage of the DDP. We love to eat at Disney and I particularly enjoy having the meals taken care of, so I can order whatever I want. A lot of times, us Moms and some Dads too, have to order something that both we and our kids will eat.

I also did a spreadsheet and we are going to use our credits for the most expensive restaurants so we feel we are using our credits to the max. We are going to eat something light for b'fast in our studio at OKW and eat at Olivia's a few mornings and then use our credits for the rest.

I too, don't want to cook on my vacation and I am always rushed because everyone else is showered and ready to go and I'm just cleaning up b'fast and haven't showered.

I am looking forward to eating what I want and when I want it and not having to worry about a dishwasher!!!

DianeDisney :cool1:

blueroses said:
I just got back from a 5-night trip and am going to write up a dining report that includes why the dining plan is not right for me and my husband, but here are some of the main points.

I need to eat every 3-4 hours which means I'm not hungry enough for a full TS meal.

Almost all the TS restaurants we visited were 2 credits which means we would be going out of pocket by the 3rd day of the trip.

I don't want to be preoccupied with food, which I would be if I had already paid for it.

The only thing I want influencing my meal choices is how hungry I am and what I feel like eating (as opposed to "is this 'worth' 2-credits?" or "is this snack covered under the plan?")

My AP savings on my room MORE than made up for the money potentially saved on the dining plan ($130/night).

I'm in the middle of running the numbers from the trip, but based on the choices we made the dining plan would not have saved us money. We did spend more than $38/person/day but would have w/ the plan too. I hope to post my dining report this week.

I have to agree in principle with the jist of this post. When we go to WDW we eat what/when/where without any other consideration. If we end up spending more (or less), so be it! Based on stories I have heard, I also believe that dp is linked to more bad service...well ok, I'm a little skeptical about that one myself, but we just don't do the dining plan. :banana:

It's a smart business move by Disney(possibly not). They have your money for food which you otherwise may not spend with them.

We spend a lot of money dining at WDW. We eat at sit downs every day that would cost 2 credits. We just don't think it is worth the hassle in making sure this is covered or that. We are on vacation and don't want to have to worry about anything. We eat where we want and what we want and it's worth every penny.

Caleb's Mom said:
I actually just did the spread sheet last night..
Just wanted to add that if I had to do a spread sheet to figure out if it is a good deal then it already is a bad deal! LOL! I'd rather save a bit longer and go without a budget then go like that to save a few $$$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter