Thoughts on. People in wheel chairs and scooter

Jake

Mouseketeer
Are going to handle the. Getting on transportation and rides trying to keeping safe.
If CM. Bus drivers have to strap you into a bus. You are not going to be six feet apart. ?
CM helping you get into rides. ?

I am assuming they will be wearing face masks and so will "us". I am waiting til Disney transportation opens or shows us their plans. I am also wondering about the Magical Express, cleaning of the companion restrooms, cleaning of rides, etc. As my granddaughter gently reminded me, lots of people wear shorts on rides and transportation. Little ones have runny noses, always touching their faces and then crawling \climbing on seats of buses and monorails.

I hope Disney let's us know what their plans and guidelines\requirements are going to be, so that I can make an "educated" decision.

I have wondered about this too, @Jake and I'm willing to bet we have some other folks around here who have had those same thoughts as well. 😉

As @Bjkandma said above, all we can do right now is wait to see what Disney's plans are when a reopening date is finally announced. Until then, everything else is pure speculation, but based on what we have see at Disney Springs so far, I think that WDW will proceed thoughtfully and with as much caution and care as is possible for their Guests.

They have been very consistent and firm in their messaging that anyone who goes to Disney Springs is taking full responsibility for the risk of contracting Covid-19, while also clearly stating that everyone should be wearing masks. I think we will see all of those concepts from Disney Springs overlaid onto the Parks, including limited attendance.

Are going to handle the. Getting on transportation and rides trying to keeping safe.
If CM. Bus drivers have to strap you into a bus. You are not going to be six feet apart. ?
CM helping you get into rides. ?
As for busses you could park your wheelchair ECV then if you are able to move to a set so the CM can strap it down then either get back in the wheelchair or ECV or stay in the set you are setting in. This dose not help those that can not transfer. As fair as rides CM are not allowed you into rides but they can sometimes give you an arm to help steady you if you do not want this just let the CM know

this is just my idea on one way to handle social. Distance when using a mobility device while at Disney

There are some situations where keeping 6' apart is just not possible. Jake, you ID'd a couple - getting a mobility device strapped down on a bus when the guest is not able to transfer [as @gap2368 noted, if you CAN get the device into place yourself and transfer to the designated bus seats that helps tremendously, though there are some tight quarters on the bus and there may be points one still comes within 6 ft], and the same when loading an accessible ride vehicle. There are other situations where the issue will arise. Table service - the server is going to come within 6 feet to serve you [unless they get into using robots like I've seensome news reports of some places experimenting with overseas but I don't see that happening here anytime soon]. Some of the attractions at the water parks. I'm sure there are others.

So for those higher risk situations this is where Disney will look to understanding what is known about the virus [there are factors that contribute to the risk, such as duration of possible exposure, what protective measures are in place, etc] and what measures can be put in place to protect their employees and their guests.

I would imagine that there will be some activities that they will decide, at least at first, are too much of a risk, so they won't be available at all. Others they will modify how they are done to make them less of a risk. Others they will modify the clothing/equipment their employees wear [we already see this in requiring masks, there are also probably roles where they are requiring gloves that they did not before, and there are probably other things that are not as obvious, whether a requirement or strongly encouraged]. Or a mix of various things all at once.

Unfortunately, until people start reporting back on their experiences we won't get a good idea what things are actually going to be like. So for the OP's original questions those won't be known until the parks start to open.

One thing I am interested in is what they do with the buses in a more general sense. Here in my city the city buses are still running, though on a modified schedule because ridership is down something like 90%. Some things they have done with the buses:

- All buses have gone to rear door loading only unless you require the front door due to mobility reasons

- (this has the side effect that people who pay cash get to ride for free since the cash fare boxes are at the front, though fare cards can still be tapped at the back doors; this has also cut fare revenue even more)

- the front seats upto past the disability seating are blocked off with tape crossed across the aisle so you can't walk forward; this gives the driver quite a few feet of buffer from any passengers and is intended to protect the driver; those with disabilities who load through the front can sit in the front area

- passengers are encouraged to physically distance on the bus; this is possible on most runs as there are not a lot of riders and sometimes it is you and the driver and that is it; when volume allows passengers seem to be good about distancing

- the city is looking into longer term solutions than taping the aisle, such as plexiglass barriers for the drivers, etc. still TBD.

SW

Hi, Starwind.

Unfortunately, until people start reporting back on their experiences we won't get a good idea what things are actually going to be like. So for the OP's original questions those won't be known until the parks start to open.

I agree.

I would imagine that there will be some activities that they will decide, at least at first, are too much of a risk, so they won't be available at all. Others they will modify how they are done to make them less of a risk. Others they will modify the clothing/equipment their employees wear [we already see this in requiring masks, there are also probably roles where they are requiring gloves that they did not before, and there are probably other things that are not as obvious, whether a requirement or strongly encouraged]. Or a mix of various things all at once.

I agree.

One thing I am interested in is what they do with the buses in a more general sense. Here in my city the city buses are still running, though on a modified schedule because ridership is down something like 90%. Some things they have done with the buses:

- All buses have gone to rear door loading only unless you require the front door due to mobility reasons

- (this has the side effect that people who pay cash get to ride for free since the cash fare boxes are at the front, though fare cards can still be tapped at the back doors; this has also cut fare revenue even more)

- the front seats upto past the disability seating are blocked off with tape crossed across the aisle so you can't walk forward; this gives the driver quite a few feet of buffer from any passengers and is intended to protect the driver; those with disabilities who load through the front can sit in the front area

- passengers are encouraged to physically distance on the bus; this is possible on most runs as there are not a lot of riders and sometimes it is you and the driver and that is it; when volume allows passengers seem to be good about distancing

- the city is looking into longer term solutions than taping the aisle, such as plexiglass barriers for the drivers, etc. still TBD.

All Atlanta buses also have fold-up/fold-down ramps at the front entrance and not further to side-rear of the bus like at WDW.

The first two seats are fold-up/fold-down benches for passengers or wheelchairs and smaller mobility scooters.

The rest of the seats are regular 2-seaters going down the aisle.

The newer buses have placed a single fold-up/fold-down seat for a caregiver so the handicapped person can see them which I think is nice if someone needs special attention.

But now, everyone else enters and exits the side door.

And only wheelchairs or small mobility scooters or people that have difficulty having to step up use the front entrance that lowers the bus and ramp.

The bus driver still has to fold up the bench and type down the traveler.

Here is Atlanta's MARTA info.

REMINDER: Rear Door Boarding On Buses.
Please board and exit through the rear doors of the buses for boarding unless you need to use the boarding ramp. No fare payment required until further notice.

MARTA has reduced service system-wide to prioritize essential transit service during the COVID-19 pandemic. | Learn More

While passengers are not expected to use the farebox at the front of the bus, please be in possession of fare during travel.

If your bus is too full to board, wait for the next bus! And call us so we can take immediate action to add another bus to the route.
Call 404-848-5000, select option 1, then option 1 again. Thank you. We’re in this together!

MARTA has watched ridership on its transit systems plummet in recent weeks—a 75 percent dip for rail users, and 59 percent drop in bus ridership—the agency’s trains and buses keep running, supporting medical professionals, food service workers, and more.

MARTA implemented “an enhanced cleaning protocol of all vehicles and facilities in early March that has expanded to include midday cleanings of buses and rail cabs and high-touch areas,” MARTA spokeswoman Stephany Fisher told Curbed Atlanta in an email.

496809[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 1590358908675.png
    1590358908675.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 0

Internal transportation as a whole is going to be an issue for Disney. Imagine the monorail lines if only 2 parties are allowed per car (one on each side, with a barrier) as what is rumored. Even the buses would have issues. Most would only be able to take 3, maybe 4 parties at once using the recommended guidelines with the current configurations. They have worked so hard at keeping the "Disney bubble" in tact, that it is now working against them. I would not be surprised that much internal transportation is halted during the first phase of reopening and only phased back in as safety measures ease.

I think this is one of the reasons Disney didn't present their reopening last week. They aren't just reopening theme parks like Universal, they are reopening an entire city.

First, I think I would go by car to the park. There are portable travel scooters that can fit into cars. You can also rent scooters at the park. I would use disposable gloves if using a scooter. Bring disinfecting wipes and clean your scooter yourself. There are wheelchairs that fit into a car.

If you insist on using Disney transportation then I would use a rain poncho with hood on and wear your mask. I would even wear a pair of sunglasses if you don't wear prescription glasses.

We are scooter users ourselves and we will wait for a better time to go; hopefully, there will be a better time. I think this will be a learning curve and I will do a wait and see. There will be issues and Disney will have to tweet what they are doing I'm sure.

If you are in a higher risk category I would tread very carefully.

Not to mention. Are they going to fill busses to standing room, as before like early in the morning and at park closing time.

I doubt they will; with all of the work they have been doing on the ground (literally) where they are placing distancing markers, reconfiguring queues, etc. I can't see them "undoing" that at the Bus Depots.

I have NOTHING to base this on but my own person speculation, but I think we might see something like this: There could be a new (probably clear plastic) shield between the driver and the main cabin of the bus. (I think we could see that on the boat transport as well, especially the Sassagoula/DS water taxis). They already have a "template"of sorts for that in place, because we know that the new "transports" between the Star Wars Resort hotel and HS/GE will be buses with blacked out windows, special interior theming and a partition or cabin to hide the driver from view, and make it feel like an autonomous space shuttle system.

I think it's possible we could board the buses, and see that seats have been removed, and there are now designated areas for people to stand where they can hold on to the overhead rail. Or, some seats may remain, but not all, and markers will be on the floor for the remaining passengers. I believe the capacity will be significantly reduced - but it shouldn't matter as much, because the number of people at the Parks every day will also be significantly reduced, so it probably won't be as bad as it initially appears on paper, know what I mean?

I also think we might see drivers wearing not just masks, but face shields also, since they will have to work closely with passengers who have personal mobility devices. I also expect to see them wearing gloves - and that may be more to protect the driver, than the passengers.

This is all just pure speculation on my part. I have no special knowledge, or crystal ball. I think that given Disney's thoughtful response to the situation so far, we will see that extended throughout the Resort, to include the buses and hotels as well.

I think the staggered hours of the various parks opening and closing on the newest schedule released will play into the buses. By staggering the hours there will be more buses available at opening and closing as they will be able to concentrate on the single park that is on for that time.

I expect the combination of the staggered park open/close hours, plus the assumption that the new "park reservation" may involve an arrival window (which I believe has been used at Shanghai) - both may be intended to will help spread out the bus crowds for park open/close.
But I'll also add that anybody going on vacation to a place like WDW needs to recognize they are taking on risk of exposure. How severe any individual considers that risk is going to vary based on personal health and other factors. It will not be entirely possible to avoid being within 6-feet of another individual at times. WDW has posted a rather large COVID-19 warning essentially saying "attend at your own risk."

I think the staggered hours of the various parks opening and closing on the newest schedule released will play into the buses. By staggering the hours there will be more buses available at opening and closing as they will be able to concentrate on the single park that is on for that time.

That was my assumption as to why they staggered opening/closing times. It means fewer people trying to get to any particular park at a time, which means more buses are available for the park whose opening is closest. I also fully assume that they will either prohibit standing on buses and only transport seated guests, or otherwise limit the number of people on-board. It won't be 6 feet apart, but better than it was. Plus mandatory masks onboard. So not a 0% risk, but as reduced as they can reasonably make it.

If you insist on using Disney transportation then I would use a rain poncho with hood on and wear your mask. I would even wear a pair of sunglasses if you don't wear prescription glasses.
Would you mind elaborating on the rain poncho a d sunglasses recommendations?
Not to mention. Are they going to fill busses to standing room, as before like early in the morning and at park closing time.
Don't know if it was Boston or Disney, but last week I read something about considering a bus full with 20 people going forward instead of 58.

Would you mind elaborating on the rain poncho a d sunglasses recommendations?

It's an added layer of protection from anyone's droplets. I would go as far as using a different poncho each and every time going on the bus or monorail or boat to be even safer. I would wash the glasses every time, too.

Are you advising eveyone to weaponchos and sunglasses, or just people using mobility evices? Either way, the suggestions seem extreme to me.
  • While there is evidence the virus survives on plastic for a period, there's nothing about fabric.
  • It's HOT at Disney many months of the year.
  • Sunglasses at night?
I mean, if you're just suggesting for device users, I'd think a wide-brimmed hat would provide better protection - both from droplets falling on them and from the sun.

Are you advising eveyone to weaponchos and sunglasses, or just people using mobility evices? Either way, the suggestions seem extreme to me.
  • While there is evidence the virus survives on plastic for a period, there's nothing about fabric.
  • It's HOT at Disney many months of the year.
  • Sunglasses at night?
I mean, if you're just suggesting for device users, I'd think a wide-brimmed hat would provide better protection - both from droplets falling on them and from the sun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter