Throw away room for Universal Express?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to Universal in August for 2 days and while searching the boards I came across this. Already have an offsite hotel booked for 3 nights. Thinking this could be an option for our group of 5. I just checked on adding Unlimited Express for our 2 days and for 5 people it would be $1490. Booking 1 night would save us over $1000. We weren't planning on getting the Unlimited Express but knowing this information and seeing that we are going on a weekend in August, it just makes sense. Just have to convince my SIL. I'm going with my 17 year old son , BIL, SIL and nephew. I read about the checking in but was wondering about checking out. Do you need to be at the hotel to actually check out? I haven't been to Universal in over 10 years but stayed onsite and loved the Unlimited Express. Thanks!!

Since you would be booking a one night stay only, it would be paid in full when you book it

You pay a one night deposit when you make the reservation, you already would be paid in full and no need to do a physical check out the next day

Many do not go through a physical check out at the hotel

I have some last questions before booking..

What is the process at the hotel like? I was there 5 years ago but can not remember check in. We plan to arrive very early, around 7am, can we check in around that time? I understand a room might not be ready, but will we be given the Express Pass already?

When pre ordering tickets, do we get them at check in or do we have to pick up at will call at the park entrance?

We will visit during Thanksgiving Week. I have never been during this holiday in the US before and we are looking forward for it, but I learned that themeparks will be packed. With Express Pass we will have only little waits, but is it wall to wall people at Universal Orlando during this week? Is it enjoyable to be there or is it just constant frustration because you can not get from A to B because of all the other guests that are trying to have fun?

This thead is about throw away rooms

Op has a room elsewhere and only booking one night onsite for the benefits

But sounds like you plan to stay onsite at uo

Suggest you make a new thread with your question so you get more peeps to read it and help you

This thead is about throw away rooms

Op has a room elsewhere and only booking one night onsite for the benefits

But sounds like you plan to stay onsite at uo

Suggest you make a new thread with your question so you get more peeps to read it and help you

I was referring to a throwaway room we are intended to book. One member of our group might use the room in the afternoon for a nap to avoid getting grumpy

So is it possible to check in very early and getting the Express Pass that early?

Gotcha
Now I understand

Yes once you check in you receive the hotel key card

Your hotel card is what you use for the ep lines

The process is pretty simple and easy. You will arrive about 7am and head straight to the front desk. You check in giving them the names of all the persons in your party (usually up to 5 to a room). At that time in the morning, they will most likely not have the room available, but since this will be a "throw-away" room, tell them you would be willing to take any available room. That might open something up for you right then and there. If so, you have your room #. If not, they will ask for your phone # and will text you the room # when it is ready. If you do decide to use the room for a little R&R in the afternoon, no need to check in at the front desk as you already have your room keys and they will already be usable to enter your room.

The next day, you can call the front desk (from your cell phone :)) letting them know you are out of the room and they can email you a copy of the folio. As for your park tickets, there is a ticket booth at the hotel you can use or you can head straight to one of the parks and pick up your tickets there as well. Your choice.

I was referring to a throwaway room we are intended to book. One member of our group might use the room in the afternoon for a nap to avoid getting grumpy

So is it possible to check in very early and getting the Express Pass that early?

yes you can check in that early...
you're not getting an actual room at that time so it doesn't matter when you check in...

as for express pass - there is a self-service kiosk right in the lobby that you do yourself once you're checked in..
if i remember correctly, each person in the room needs something to put into the express pass..
the express pass kiosk takes a picture of you so that your express pass will have your picture on it..

in any case, the people checking you in are very well versed in these throwaway rooms...
lots of people do it..
just ask them what you're supposed to do to get your express pass...

yes you can check in that early...
you're not getting an actual room at that time so it doesn't matter when you check in...

as for express pass - there is a self-service kiosk right in the lobby that you do yourself once you're checked in..
if i remember correctly, each person in the room needs something to put into the express pass..
the express pass kiosk takes a picture of you so that your express pass will have your picture on it..

in any case, the people checking you in are very well versed in these throwaway rooms...
lots of people do it..
just ask them what you're supposed to do to get your express pass...

It doesn’t work that way anymore.

They stopped doing pictures last year. You get a room key for everyone registered with their names on it.

That’s your EP once again.

They are implementing a picture scan as you enter the EP line.......some rides will take an image of you.

True
They changed the system last year and hotel room key cards are needed to use the ep lines and early entry

It doesn’t work that way anymore.

They stopped doing pictures last year. You get a room key for everyone registered with their names on it.

That’s your EP once again.

They are implementing a picture scan as you enter the EP line.......some rides will take an image of you.

really?
in august they were still taking pictures...
and everyone also got a room key....we needed the room key for everyone so that each person got an express pass..

that's confusing that they've changed it again..
but in any case it doesn't matter..

all you have to do is ask the guy who checks you in...
they're very nice and they'll walk you through whatever it is that you need to do..

it's not like you're cheating anyone...you're paying top dollar for that room...
you're a paying guest like everyone else....
just ask the guy who checks you in to explain to you what to do...

We might be able to zero in on the day they switched back. ;) I stayed at RPR in September (arriving on Sept. 19th) and they had already switched to using the room keys again.

also RPR.....on august 14th....same day as a falcon launch....managed to do both :)

really?
and everyone also got a room key....we needed the room key for everyone so that each person got an express pass..

they're very nice and they'll walk you through whatever it is that you need to do..

it's not like you're cheating anyone...you're paying top dollar for that room...

Yes whoever checks you in always explains the process.........

We checked in middle of September last year and it was back to just room keys.........

Of course it’s not cheating the system to book a throwaway room.......they don’t have any issues with anyone doing that.........many have done it for years.

Really no one gets hurt by the throw away room (I mean I guess if you said the hotel was completely full which I don't think happens much)....actually its better for the hotel. Think of the housekeepers walking in to the room after check out - they are probably YES IT WAS A THROW AWAY ROOM!!!

If the room was booked and no one stayed there, housekeeping is still required to work from their check list and clean the room

Hey I know the housekeepers checklist will go a heck of a lot faster then if my 3 kids had been in that room !!! :)

really?

We checked into HRH on 8/31/17 and they were using the room keys by then. We had also stayed at RPR in April 2017 and they were using the room keys at that time as well, but I think it was due to system issues with the EP tickets. Either way, the room keys are much easier - one less thing to keep track of!

I think we're going to give this a go on our trip next week! All you EP proponents have gotten in my head lol. I accompanied my younger sister as her guardian last year; she loved Sapphire Falls so wants to stay there again. Amazing resort, love it too, but only downfall is no EPs. Same time frame as last year so know the crowds will be manageable, but I hate lines. We have 3 days for the 3 parks, which is doable, but I NEED to fit in pool time after this never-ending winter. AP rates have been unavailable for our stay at the higher end resorts until a few days ago when I snagged one night mid-stay at PBR for $224! All have been sold out at regular rates too so not sure how this popped up.

On the downside, this is an extra cost that feels a bit extravagant given we can live without it. BUT, according to all here, it will give us 2 full days of EP access at a great savings. I could use a nudge confirming my decision, affirming our trip will be even more special with EPs in hand. And thank you to all for the advice given about the process as it eases my mind when I travel alone with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter