Time to be off the ship...?

Maesa

Mouseketeer
When we went on our first cruise we took our time getting off the ship since we didn't have to catch our flight till late. Well this time we might be tighter on our flights (still playing with the flight arrangements) so I wanted to see the time frame I can play with.

The cruise - is Magic / Miami

Thank you.

They will start a hard sweep around 9:30 as I understand it.

We had no idea that once self-debarkation was done we could just leave. We were used to other cruise lines calling you off by some color category of luggage tag. Disney just wants you off.

We had no idea that once self-debarkation was done we could just leave. We were used to other cruise lines calling you off by some color category of luggage tag. Disney just wants you off.

The same way they wanted the people on the cruise prior to yours off by 9:30 or so. They need to turn the ship over completely, and they cannot start embarkation at all until the people from the prior cruise are off.

We were on the Magic out of Miami about 2 years ago and we had to wait to be called off, but it was by character name instead of color. Not sure if it's changed or maybe it differs by port.

This is probably not typical, but we waited a long time for our character to be called. I think there was a delay for some reason (customs??). A bunch of groups were called and then nothing for a while. I managed to stop a CM to ask and was told not yet. It was after 10 am by the time we were called. Luckily, we were staying a few days post cruise, so it wasn't a big deal.

Yep, as wanderlust7 said groups are called off according to the character on the luggage tags in Miami in our experience. That was also true in Galveston and NYC IIRC. We also had a longish wait on our first B2B out of Miami in 2013 but not in 2016. DCL guidelines for guests arranging their own air travel are no flights before noon and I would take that seriously. We will also be on the Magic in January. Happy sailing. :boat:

When we left the Wonder in June we were called by Disney character. Why Tinkerbell would be so mean is beyond me.

It makes it nice to relax and eat at your MDR breakfast with your servers serving you. We have had some really heartfelt conversations with our servers at this time. You get to know them much better than during the usual rush of dinner. We do this when we don't have to catch a flight too soon or are driving home.

Here's what Disney has to say regarding earliest flight time on disembarkation https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/air-ground-transportation/, and it's 11:30 for Port Canaveral - not noon like I see here incorrectly so frequently. Just search for the port as it does vary a bit, and it's 1:00 from Galveston to Bush Intercontinental Airport for example.

Yes, it is 11:30 for Port Canaveral. However, this poster is on a cruise out of Miami. Noon is the earliest flight time recommended by DCL for Miami.

It makes it nice to relax and eat at your MDR breakfast with your servers serving you. We have had some really heartfelt conversations with our servers at this time. You get to know them much better than during the usual rush of dinner. We do this when we don't have to catch a flight too soon or are driving home.
Yes, we've always enjoyed our disembarkation day breakfasts in the MDR. It's a very pleasant, dignified way to end the cruise and begin a day of travel.

Yes, it is 11:30 for Port Canaveral. However, this poster is on a cruise out of Miami. Noon is the earliest flight time recommended by DCL for Miami.
I should take my own advice! :) Totally missed that it was from Miami.

What times do they serve breakfast in the MDR on the last morning? Will we have to go at a certain time or just anytime it’s open?

What times do they serve breakfast in the MDR on the last morning? Will we have to go at a certain time or just anytime it’s open?

You are assigned a time based on your seating time - early goes early and late goes late. And no, you cannot go late if you have early dining as odds are the people at your table for late dining will be there then. You get a "ticket" with the time on it the last night in the MDR.

You are assigned a time based on your seating time - early goes early and late goes late. And no, you cannot go late if you have early dining as odds are the people at your table for late dining will be there then. You get a "ticket" with the time on it the last night in the MDR.

Ok thanks. We’re second seating, so it should be later. Do you get off the ship right after breakfast? Will we be ok with a 12:45 flight out of MCO coming from Port Canaveral?

Ok thanks. We’re second seating, so it should be later. Do you get off the ship right after breakfast? Will we be ok with a 12:45 flight out of MCO coming from Port Canaveral?

Yeah you are kind of supposed to get off right after eating at the late breakfast. It actually feels weird when you are done, like being in a store that is closing. But its nice because the majority of the ship has left and there isn't a big old line of angry people elbowing and cutting in line to get off first. That should be enogh time to get to that flight, but go straight to security and get through that line first and foremost. That security line at MCO is a real kluge im general and when the cruise traffic comes in its that much worse.

Yeah you are kind of supposed to get off right after eating at the late breakfast. It actually feels weird when you are done, like being in a store that is closing. But its nice because the majority of the ship has left and there isn't a big old line of angry people elbowing and cutting in line to get off first. That should be enogh time to get to that flight, but go straight to security and get through that line first and foremost. That security line at MCO is a real kluge im general and when the cruise traffic comes in its that much worse.

As far as going straight to security, I’m thinking I will have to check luggage first? We fly southwest and I don’t think we can check it at port.

As far as going straight to security, I’m thinking I will have to check luggage first? We fly southwest and I don’t think we can check it at port.

Correct. Southwest is not a participating airline in Onboard Airline Check-In.

And yes, the "normal" is to disembark when you finish breakfast. You are supposed to take everything with you when you leave the cabin for breakfast and not go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!