Timeshare talks to get a cheap rate on a room?? If so, was it a hassle or worth it???

kleibo

Earning My Ears
I'm thinking of going to one of those timeshare talks to get a really cheap rate on a nice resort. I don't know if it's worth it though if it's really just a hassle?

Let me know if you've done it and it was worth it or not.

thanks!!!!

We stayed at Star Island resort last year and got a good rate and the timeshare presentation was not a hard sell at all, but we've done a few in orlando that were a hard sell and if you don't have the guts to say no, I'd watch it!

It definitely depends on two criteria, IMHO:

Your attitude and the salesperson you have.

Face it, everything in life is controlled by circumstance. I don't find them to be a hassle at all but other people do. I took one December 31st at Westgate Lakes. It was a breeze, in fact, a pleasure! My neighbors took one the same exact time and theirs was a nightmare! The woman who took them on the tour was rude and nasty. My guy was an absolute dream. Also, they went in a little afraid of what to expect. I knew what to expect and really cannot be intimidated by anyone. My salesperson told me that he figured me out by the time he shook my hand.

If you intend to buy, come in strong with the attitude of getting the best buy. It will be offered to you but still DON'T BUY. The best deals can be found in resales after you've left.

BUT, if you just want the deal, just stand your ground and deal with it. It's only for 90 minutes and I found it to be worth it in the long run.

In a word, I say, YES, but it's definitely up to you how it turns out.

We went to a presentation to get free Magic Kingdom tickets. For us it was a mistake because we attended the presentation on the same morning we were planning to go to the park and it ran way over the 90 minutes they said it would take. It was for the Orange Lake resort and it was a VERY hard sell. The place is beautiful but when we opted not to purchase there were 3 "bosses" of increasing authority brought in one after another to try and persuade us. I would NOT do it again. There are a lot of good deals on resorts without having the hassle of the timeshare element.

Does anyone know if there's any timeshare deals available to Canadians? As far as I can see, non-U.S. citizens are excluded from any timeshare presentations. (at least as far as the Hotelkingdom site goes) Kind of hard to understand, considering how many Canadians regularly vacation in Florida.

Thanks.
Lensmo

This is not the case at most timeshare presentations, lensmo.

Hotelkingdom's criteria is different from others, they don't even accept unmarried participants, which I think is ridiculous. Many non-US citizens buy at Westgate and the other timeshares I've attended.

I have done this. We went to the presentation at the Vistana Resort last year. They gave us free food, let the kids have free access to the game room with all the machines and $100. I was actually interested to learn about how it worked. The dollars didn't add up and the sales lady seemed to be a little upset with me and we met "the boss". We will be doing this again at the HGVC this year. It is a pain but if you are having a down day at the resort, hanging by the pools, the 90 minutes can pay for itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter