Tipping Information Thread for Disney Dining (Updated for 2019)

Haven't been to Disney since magic bands. How do you pay for your meal/tip using your magic band? We will have the dining plan. I guess we tell the server we have the dining plan so they can deduct it. Do they scan your band at the restaurant??

We will be on the DxDP when we go in October family of 4 , 2 adults and 2 children . My question is can I tip with gift cards and if so how does that work? do I wait for the bill to come and tell them we would like to use this for your tip and tell them what to take out ? not really sure how that would work we always used cash but I figure I can get gift cards starting now.
If I'm remembering correctly, we have charged the top to our room in the past and settled that bill with gift cards at the end of our vacation. That's what I'm planning on doing again in November. If I'm wrong about this, please correct me.

Haven't been to Disney since magic bands. How do you pay for your meal/tip using your magic band? We will have the dining plan. I guess we tell the server we have the dining plan so they can deduct it. Do they scan your band at the restaurant??

The servers will usually ask you if you're on the dining plan, but if they don't, just tell them. They will need to scan one person's magic band. If there's something you'd rather pay for OOP to save the credits, just let them know so they deduct the appropriate number of credits. At the end of the meal, they will bring you a receipt that shows the credits to be deducted as well as what you will have remaining, and any additional money that you need to pay (anything not covered by the plan or that you choose not to use credits for, plus if you have 6 or more people, the 18% tip will be listed). That remainder can be charged to your magic band to be charged to your room if you have charging privileges set up on your band. Or you can pay that with a debit/credit card, cash, or gift cards.

Yes - the server will ask and Yes they will scan an adult MagicBand. It works just like a credit card - in that it is tied to your CC on file at the Disney Resort.

Is there any benefit to the server being paid with cash or charging tip? We thought we’d just bring cash for our tips if that is possible?
Thanks!

Servers do appreciate the cash. Just so you know, if you go with cash take the time and on the receipt draw a line in the "tip" line or write the word "cash". This is a tip an honest server suggested to me!!

I know my daughter was always low on cash as a CP last year- figured we’d write little notes of encouragement and put them in fun envelopes to lift their day 😁

Servers do appreciate the cash. Just so you know, if you go with cash take the time and on the receipt draw a line in the "tip" line or write the word "cash". This is a tip an honest server suggested to me!!
Writing "cash" on the tip line was something I learned from a friend, who is a former CM. I always follow that practice, now.

Unfortunately, not everyone is honest. Sometimes a server will pocket the cash and then add an"additional" tip. So if you give them $20 in cash. They could add $20 on the top line. You have suddenly given them $40.

Does anyone with a Disney Premier Visa credit card know if you are on the dining plan, but charge your server's tip to the credit card, do you get the "10% back for disney dining"? I know it seems strange to receive 10% "off" or "cash back on your statement" gratuities, but if your card is being used at a restaurant I wonder if it matters what it is being charged for?

If your credit card is charged at the restaurant ; it will be coded to Chase as a Dining expense so you would get 10% back does not matter if for tips, your meal, take out, entertainment, parking, etc...
If you had the tips applied to your hotel room account and then later charged the amount at hotel check out with the same card, it would not give you 10% back as that will be coded to Chase as a travel/hotel expense not dining.

If your credit card is charged at the restaurant ; it will be coded to Chase as a Dining expense so you would get 10% back does not matter if for tips, your meal, take out, entertainment, parking, etc...
If you had the tips applied to your hotel room account and then later charged the amount at hotel check out with the same card, it would not give you 10% back as that will be coded to Chase as a travel/hotel expense not dining.

This is super valuable information. Thanks so much!!

How would paying with the gift cards at the resorts work with the new credit card policy that is being implemented at the of February?
Does any have an answer for this. I bought $150 worth on gift cards. If I charge back to the room can I still go pay down my bill with gift card?

If I end up taking to the restaurant then do I just give them the gc and say how much to charge? Obviously I don’t want to give them the entire balance . We have the dining plan so this would be tips or extra drinks

If you want to charge on your magic band, the resort will place a $100 hold on your file (credit card). And each time you reach or use $100, another $100 hold. While holds are not charges, it does take up to several days for your credit card to remove hold. Thus, less amount on your available credit.

When you are done eating, whether on dining plan or not, you will receive a receipt. The receipt will have dollar amount (If on dining plan, cost of what meal would have been) showing credit used. There is a line for tips, simply fill in the amount you would like to leave, place it with the gift card into "folder". Sit back and wait, receipt along with gift card will be brought back to you. You will then receive a gift card receipt showing your transaction, with remaining balance.

If you want to charge on your magic band, the resort will place a $100 hold on your file (credit card). And each time you reach or use $100, another $100 hold. While holds are not charges, it does take up to several days for your credit card to remove hold. Thus, less amount on your available credit.

When you are done eating, whether on dining plan or not, you will receive a receipt. The receipt will have dollar amount (If on dining plan, cost of what meal would have been) showing credit used. There is a line for tips, simply fill in the amount you would like to leave, place it with the gift card into "folder". Sit back and wait, receipt along with gift card will be brought back to you. You will then receive a gift card receipt showing your transaction, with remaining balance.
Thank you! So with the holds, these are preauthorizations not charges? Do they charge the actual amounts at check out then? Or is it like point of sale? If it’s just a hold and not charge I’m not concerned, I have enough of a credit line that it shouldn’t matter.

I believe once you got the first $100 it is charged. The problem comes that if you charge $100, (actually against card)and that $100 hold, it is like you spent $200. So your credit card "available balance" is minus $200 - until your bank clears that hold. (Some credit cards take 5 to 7 days, heard of some taking longer.

There is a thread talking about credit card holds, that might help you.

Question, when the 18% or 20% or whatever amount tip is at the bottom of the receipt, does anyone know if it is based on entire bill or pre-tax?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!