Tipping - resort staff

We will sometimes tip a bit at the end of the stay if service was exceptionally good. Not always, but if housekeeping did something extra like leave extra coffee or something. Maybe $5-10. As others have said - it's totally up to you as this is not a job where tipping is expected as part of the wage (as is the case in some restaurants where the wage can be < $5 without tips and tips make up the rest).

Having seen this topic on here a few times, I've often been surprised at some people's generosity which is great. However there is nothing worse than some internet stranger telling you what you should be doing with your life and money, so I don't feel any pressure at all to keep up.

Here is another interesting housekeeping pay fact. The union cut a deal with Disney and housekeepers for DVC work for 7 hours and get paid for 8. I don't know if this also applies for non DVC resorts. Also, they don't pool their tips, the housekeeper cleaning during your stay, may not be the housekeeper who cleans on check out day. We had two different housekeepers over the last two weeks at BWV.

:earsboy: Bill

We tip housekeeping $4.00 dollars a day, that last time when we were at Cooper they removed our trash and towels everyday without asking and did make sure we did not get charged for it.

We tip housekeeping $4.00 dollars a day, that last time when we were at Cooper they removed our trash and towels everyday without asking and did make sure we did not get charged for it.

Disney now removes room trash everyday as a reason to enter your room for a security check.

Extra towels are now free, If you want them, you just call down!

Disney now removes room trash everyday as a reason to enter your room for a security check.

And it’s not housekeeping doing it either- I saw them at Beach Club and they were not housekeeping staff.

I only tip housekeeping when I think they have done more than their job.
They are getting paid to do a job.
Go ahead and flame away, but pretty much every person wishes they got paid more for their job. That is an issue with their employer, not the customer.

So only when something special is done in my eyes. In which case I think I tend to be generous as a thank you.

Other people have said it, but tipping is a personal decision. No one should be ridiculed for tipping or not tipping - we all have our opinions.

That being said I think a couple of important points made are whether the HK staff pools tips, or if the service individual differs from day to day (or start to end of stay), and whether the T&T service is HK or another role.

Ultimately though, if you tip and it makes you feel good, do it. We each have our own rules about how much (or little) and how often (or seldom) we tip service personnel.

Interesting thread. We are at WDW now, just moved rooms yesterday and left a pretty nice tip ($50) not being aware of the wage increase. Now that I know I will rethink my tip at the end of this week when checking out of this room. So far we have tipped bell services four times, once upon arrival, when bags were delivered to original room, bags going into storage and again when delivered to new room. Due to the number of bags we tipped $20-$25 each time, it starts to add up.

If you tip bell services, why wouldn't you tip housekeeping? As of now, they make about the same amount of money hourly. Especially when they all go up to $15/hour, they will be making the same, but people will still tip bell services, but not housekeeping? Housekeeping by far is a much harder and nastier job.

I only tip housekeeping when I think they have done more than their job.
They are getting paid to do a job.
Go ahead and flame away, but pretty much every person wishes they got paid more for their job. That is an issue with their employer, not the customer.

So only when something special is done in my eyes. In which case I think I tend to be generous as a thank you.

Do you tip bell service? They are just doing their job. Or the guy who delivers your room service, same thing. Just wonder how someone goes about and decides what job is worth a few extra bucks tip to them. To me, cleaning up after someone, is much more worthy of a few extra bucks then a guy who drives me in a golf cart to my room.

If you tip bell services, why wouldn't you tip housekeeping? As of now, they make about the same amount of money hourly. Especially when they all go up to $15/hour, they will be making the same, but people will still tip bell services, but not housekeeping? Housekeeping by far is a much harder and nastier job.
My understanding is Bell Services is not a part of the group of unions (Services Trade Council Union) that negotiated the $15 dollar minimum wage (only custodial, attractions, and vacation planning were captured), there are a number of other positions not bumping up either. I think at Value and Moderate Bell Services is contracted out (could be wrong but could have sworn that is what I've seen stated on here) and only at Deluxe its a Disney CM working. But Bell Services is a "tipped" position in that the pay is lower and they specifically advertise the position as tipped. Housekeeping is now considered an "untipped" position for purposes of filling the jobs and the compensation is adjusted for that.

My understanding is Bell Services is not a part of the group of unions (Services Trade Council Union) that negotiated the $15 dollar minimum wage (only custodial, attractions, and vacation planning were captured), there are a number of other positions not bumping up either. I think at Value and Moderate Bell Services is contracted out (could be wrong but could have sworn that is what I've seen stated on here) and only at Deluxe its a Disney CM working. But Bell Services is a "tipped" position in that the pay is lower and they specifically advertise the position as tipped. Housekeeping is now considered an "untipped" position for purposes of filling the jobs and the compensation is adjusted for that.

You can do what you want as far as tipping. I personally feel that even at $15/hour, that is not enough "compensation" to do the nasty job of a housekeeper. I don't care what Disney claims as their arbitrary tipped position. Housekeeping is the heart of any hotel. And I don't think that a few extra bucks handed to them is somehow making them rich and overpaid. The animosity that some have over giving a few extra bucks to these hard working people is crazy. As if they are affronted that they make over $6 and hour.

Seems like a logical answer.

You can do what you want as far as tipping. I personally feel that even at $15/hour, that is not enough "compensation" to do the nasty job of a housekeeper. I don't care what Disney claims as their arbitrary tipped position. Housekeeping is the heart of any hotel. And I don't think that a few extra bucks handed to them is somehow making them rich and overpaid. The animosity that some have over giving a few extra bucks to these hard working people is crazy. As if they are affronted that they make over $6 and hour.
Didn't make any statements on what is right or wrong on tipping nor did I express any opinions on the matter, though you are free to assume. I was only clarifying the incorrect statement that Bell Services is treated equally in pay and employment-status within the company. Also Disney didn't arbitrarily claim it as an untipped position it is what the union fought for in order to increase their base wage, why they wanted that is speculation (though my guess is because guests weren't tipping). There also can be a legal difference between untipped and tipped positions in employment so the distinction is important to make, specifically tipped employees can make below a minimum hourly wage as long as their tips plus wage over some horizon is above minimum wage (if not the employer has to make them whole over that gap).

Also I will say that I don't think anyone on here is arguing that housekeepers are rich or overpaid by any means. Personally janitorial work is how I paid for a good portion of my education and living expenses for my life so I understand the "nastiness" and how underpaid the job is. Though what about the line cook or front line CM at a QS restaurant that aren't apart of the union that negotiated the raise? Do you feel everyone should tip them (their job is equally nasty)? I suspect most would never because Disney doesn't treat them as a tipped position and the means isn't really present to do so. What about the janitor in the park that is doing equally "nasty" work being paid similar rates, should they get tipped? Again I suspect most would never think to because Disney doesn't treat them as a tipped position and the means isn't really present to do so.

Really the issue is beyond tipping and more in line with the definition of a liveable wage, unfortunately the union and Disney settled on $15 an hour which simply might not be the reality for many of the CMs. But guests shouldn't feel obligated to tip the housekeeper anymore, though personally I will now let you know that for exceptional service (or an inconvenience to them, even if caused by their coworkers like when I was delivered a room with urine on the bed) and when I leave the room (though the housekeepers don't pull tips, but I don't stay long enough at one resort to get more than daily trash). As for the CMs who can't receive tips (for reasons) I always try and leave cast compliments at GS whenever service has been exceptional.

Last edited:
Do you tip bell service? They are just doing their job. Or the guy who delivers your room service, same thing. Just wonder how someone goes about and decides what job is worth a few extra bucks tip to them. To me, cleaning up after someone, is much more worthy of a few extra bucks then a guy who drives me in a golf cart to my room.
Then tip away, that is your choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter