Tips for adventure guides

2-pointdoe

Mouseketeer
I tried searching for this but did not find anything that gave an amount. I know that it is up to the individual to decide how much to tip but I am wondering what the going rate (so to speak) is?
Thanks,
Michele

ABD currently recommend $8-$11 per guest, per guide, per day.
Their website has a gratuities section under "Trip tips and FAQs" and also has an example equation to give you an idea on what the total would be :)

Happy Travels!!

ABD currently recommend $8-$11 per guest, per guide, per day.
Their website has a gratuities section under "Trip tips and FAQs" and also has an example equation to give you an idea on what the total would be :)

Happy Travels!!
Just thought I'd add for the OP that the "Trip Tips and FAQs" tab is under each destination. It's not on the General FAQ page. :thumbsup2

Sayhello

The itinerary book they send you a few weeks before travel has the suggested amount specifically for the number of days of your trip in there as well.

That itinerary book is my lifeline. lol I love to have a better idea of each day's activities (subject to change, of course). Waiting patiently (not so much!) for our "box" to arrive for our ABD next month!:cool1:

That's why I wasn't finding it. LOL Thanks

Should these be paid in US dollars or the local currency?

Just thought I'd add for the OP that the "Trip Tips and FAQs" tab is under each destination. It's not on the General FAQ page. :thumbsup2

Sayhello

That's why I wasn't finding it. LOL Thanks

Technically, either. But honestly, I hate to say it, but it really depends. If you're going early in the season and both Guides will be there for a while, local currency is fine. They can use it while they're there. If it's towards the end of the season, or the Guide is heading back to the States, US dollars is best so they don't have to convert it. If the Adventure Guide is a Local (from where the trip is) local currency is best so they don't have to exchange it. You can use Paypal for a lot of the Guides (especially the American ones) but not all of the foreign ones can accept Paypal (like the local Adventure Guides in China). It's a bit crazy. ATMs are your friend if you find the Local Adventure Guide can't accept US currency or Paypal...

Sayhello

This is brilliant. I don't think I would have thought of this.

It is awesome! Apple just rolled it out in November, and you have to have at least iOS 11.2, but being able to transfer money that easily is awesome! My brother and I used it for him to pay me for the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child tickets I bought. Now he can't complain about writing checks! :-) If you can send a text message, you can send payment. LOL

So easy and you can either keep it and use the money for payment wherever Apple Pay is accepted or transfer it to your bank. Easy peasy.

It is awesome! Apple just rolled it out in November, and you have to have at least iOS 11.2, but being able to transfer money that easily is awesome! My brother and I used it for him to pay me for the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child tickets I bought. Now he can't complain about writing checks! :-) If you can send a text message, you can send payment. LOL

So easy and you can either keep it and use the money for payment wherever Apple Pay is accepted or transfer it to your bank. Easy peasy.

Oh yes. I set it up on the first day it was available. You can even tell if someone has set it up by bringing up the iMessage app in a conversation with someone. If they haven't set it up yet the app will alert you.

In general, we pay the local guide in local currency and the US guide in US currency. For example: On our ABD China trip, we knew our US guide was coming back to the US right after the trip so his tip was all US currency. However, our Chinese guide got an equivalent amount in Yuan.

If the US guide was going to be in the country for a while (you can easily find this out in casual conversation during the trip) it might be more appropriate to tip in the local currency.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter