Tips for Driving in Orlando, they might save you from a accident or save your life.

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Local here...

The weather changing and summer is coming... So that means schools will be out soon, and the summer vacation season is starting ... Along with that there are people coming from all over the world...and they all drive different... take time to know what our traffic rules are...

1) Put your phone down.... can't be anymore simpler than that... If you need directions, bring a GPS with you so that you can find your way around. No text is worth your life or someone else's.

2) Missing the exit is not a big deal, just go to the next one and exit off... don't drive across 3 lanes of traffic or slam on brakes, or back up on the interstate... just don't do it... the GPS will recalculate...there are lots back way around... and several entrance's into the parks, and other sites

3) Check your on and off ramps, make sure you are going in the right direction...we have had people killed going the wrong way on a exit ramp.

4) I-4 is under construction constantly... so be aware of where you are going...road changes, closed exits and such...

5) This one is very important.... Do not pull out in front of or cut off someone hauling anything... Boats, 4 wheelers, sea doo's/jet ski's, campers, or airboat... They can not stop as fast with all the added weight in the back... I know what your saying I don't want to get behind them... well this is Florida, and just part of it... it's really not worth your life or someone else life, just because you don't want to get behind them...

6) Which brings me to Semi's, Box trucks, work trailers full of equipment, flat beds hauling large equipment... don't do it...don't pull out in front of them, or cut them off...I can't tell you how many times I have seen a car under or what's left of a car under a semi... its heart breaking to think of that family...

7) This is a pet peeve... when you see the one lane is ending and merging into the next... go ahead get over... don't go racing down to the end and then try to force your way.... in you are not entitled... Most locals will not let you in... also do not block the intersections... just because you don't want to wait out another light...

8) Stop signs, Red-lights, are not a suggestion... they are the law... STOP... no rolling through them... STOP

9) There are around a million tourist in our area daily, a lot of them walking around.... watch out for them...

10) This one is something that the whole world knows... but people come here and think that this rule/law doesn't apply.... so don't come on vacation and leave on probation... Do Not drink and drive here... Uber, Lyft, & Cab's are everywhere...

Come and enjoy all we have to offer... But please do it safely.

Please share your tips ... Pixie dust awaypixiedust:

Last edited:
7) This is a pet peeve... when you see the one lane is ending and merging into the next... go ahead get over... don't go racing down to the end and then try to force your way.... in you are not entitled... Most locals will not let you in... also do not block the intersections... just because you don't want to wait out another light...

Agree on all of them except this... Sure when traffic is moving at the speed limit merging at the last second isn't a good idea. During periods of heavy traffic you absolutely should use all of the available space and everyone should zipper merge at the last second. This reduces the length of the backups and reduces accidents.

Agree on all of them except this... Sure when traffic is moving at the speed limit merging at the last second isn't a good idea. During periods of heavy traffic you absolutely should use all of the available space and everyone should zipper merge at the last second. This reduces the length of the backups and reduces accidents.
I'm not convinced, but we've debated this in the past.

when you see the one lane is ending and merging into the next... go ahead get over... don't go racing down to the end and then try to force your way.... in you are not entitled... Most locals will not let you in.

The “locals” are doing it wrong then.

I’m a convert to zipper, though I still don’t do it; I get over when I can get over.

But I don’t block others, since now I know it’s how the roads were designed.

Uhh. re #1)..my phone IS my GPS! Didn't know anyone still had separate GPS's

Thank goodness a lot of folks driving aren't locals then, so they know how to let people in when merging. Around here it is the locals who know not to move over too soon when approaching construction.

Two suggestions from your friendly Uber driver:

1. A LOT of people use Google Maps or Waze as their GPS...and that's fine. But use it the same way. MOUNT it so that you don't have to be constantly looking down into your lap to see where you are going. You can buy very good phone mounts in numerous configurations at any Walmart, Best Buy, Target or online. They are cheap! Get one -- or don't use your phone as a GPS. (incidentally, Uber's Driver App can sense if your phone is hand-held and you get a nasty-gram. If you don't change your ways, they turn you off!)
  2. Especially around WDW, there are a great many tourists. They don't know where they are. They don't know where they are going. They don't know how to get there. So don't expect them to drive normally. They won't. They can't. So give them abundant space and realize that they are driving just like you would if you were visiting their city.

Uhh. re #1)..my phone IS my GPS! Didn't know anyone still had separate GPS's

Thank goodness a lot of folks driving aren't locals then, so they know how to let people in when merging. Around here it is the locals who know not to move over too soon when approaching construction.

On the phone... No texting. use blue tooth for talking..... mount your phone to use GPS...

The zipper effect is fine, and I do follow the flow of traffic and do make room for on coming traffic .... I'm talking about those people who see everyone taking their turns, and blow past everyone, going as far as drive in the emergency lane to try to get ahead of everyone... Or when traffic is crawling along... they jump out into the emergency lanes and zoom down the side of the road then try to force themselves back into the line of traffic...

Two suggestions from your friendly Uber driver:

1. A LOT of people use Google Maps or Waze as their GPS...and that's fine. But use it the same way. MOUNT it so that you don't have to be constantly looking down into your lap to see where you are going. You can buy very good phone mounts in numerous configurations at any Walmart, Best Buy, Target or online. They are cheap! Get one -- or don't use your phone as a GPS. (incidentally, Uber's Driver App can sense if your phone is hand-held and you get a nasty-gram. If you don't change your ways, they turn you off!)
  2. Especially around WDW, there are a great many tourists. They don't know where they are. They don't know where they are going. They don't know how to get there. So don't expect them to drive normally. They won't. They can't. So give them abundant space and realize that they are driving just like you would if you were visiting their city.

Thanks Uber driver... great info...

Agree. I studied traffic as part of my doctoral dissertation. One of the books I read was "Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us)" by Tom Vanderbilt. A big chunk of the first chapter addresses this topic. He labels LoveTimone's school of thought as Early Merge and our take as Late Merge. Here's a short section of that chapter:

The second school, Late Merge, was rolled out by traffic engineers in Pennsylvania in the 1990s in response to reports of aggressive driving at merge locations. In this system, engineers posted a succession of signs, beginning a mile and a half from the closure. First came USE BOTH LANES TO MERGE POINT, then a ROAD WORK AHEAD or two, and finally, at the lane drop: MERGE HERE TAKE YOUR TURN.

The Late Merge compresses what may normally be thousands of feet of potentially merging maneuvers to a single point. There is, presumably, no lane jumping or jockeying, as the flow or speed should be no better or worse in one lane than another - hence there should be fewer chances for rear-end collisions. Because cars are using both lanes to the end point, the queue is cut in half.

The most surprising thing about the Late Merge concept is that it showed a 15 percent improvement in traffic flow over the conventional merge. (Page 47)
Link to source book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-About/dp/0307277194

Especially around WDW, there are a great many tourists. They don't know where they are. They don't know where they are going. They don't know how to get there. So don't expect them to drive normally. They won't. They can't. So give them abundant space and realize that they are driving just like you would if you were visiting their city.

Yes! Good advice no matter where you are.

My Orlando driving tip is to stay off I-4.

Agree! Traffic on I-4 continues to grow. It is frequently stop and go in the Disney area. We use back roads whenever we can.

Also, when traveling to/from the airport use 417. When leaving the airport follow the signs for the South Exit.

The most surprising thing about the Late Merge concept is that it showed a 15 percent improvement in traffic flow over the conventional merge. (Page 47)
Link to source book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-About/dp/0307277194
Sorry, not going to buy a $15 book to get the information. What/how are they judging "improvement"?

ETA: I assume that improvement is if EVERYONE uses the zipper method. What happens when you get that one (or two) drivers who refuse to let anyone in?

On the phone... No texting. use blue tooth for talking..... mount your phone to use GPS...

The zipper effect is fine, and I do follow the flow of traffic and do make room for on coming traffic .... I'm talking about those people who see everyone taking their turns, and blow past everyone, going as far as drive in the emergency lane to try to get ahead of everyone... Or when traffic is crawling along... they jump out into the emergency lanes and zoom down the side of the road then try to force themselves back into the line of traffic...

You mean driving on the shoulder? Yes that is illegal.

Sorry, not going to buy a $15 book to get the information. What/how are they judging "improvement"?

ETA: I assume that improvement is if EVERYONE uses the zipper method. What happens when you get that one (or two) drivers who refuse to let anyone in?

More state should use this type of merge like they do in Dundee Oregon on route 99. The signs and the pavement markings indicate neither lane has the right of way. Drivers are supposed to take turns. It preserves balance in each of the queues approaching the merge and drivers are less likely to avoid letting each other in.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.290...hfBHkmmAHUeqBrTGNr1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

More state should use this type of merge like they do in Dundee Oregon on route 99. The signs and the pavement markings indicate neither lane has the right of way. Drivers are supposed to take turns. It preserves balance in each of the queues approaching the merge and drivers are less likely to avoid letting each other in.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.290...hfBHkmmAHUeqBrTGNr1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
Doesn't answer my question though... what happens when people refuse to use the zipper method (and I guarantee someone will)?

1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10 are smart, safe-driving tips anywhere, even without millions of visitors. Four is, of course, specific to Central Florida :).

But I have to disagree with this one. Traffic flow works best when drivers use all available lanes and alternate at the merge point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter