"Tis the Season to be Eatin'" Reviews with DxDP

alltwelve

Mouseketeer
Hello All! We just completed a short stay at BLT and our first time using the Deluxe Dining Plan. I actually started this thread yesterday, but deleted it by accident (first timer) and now I'm gonna try again- hopefully I can remember what I wrote the first time!. Anyhoo, there was two of us on this stay: I'm Brad, the total Disney fan (on the left in the pic) and Greg (on the right), the not-so-Disney fan but happily goes along for the ride.

full

We decided to try the Deluxe Dining Plan on this trip, only visiting the resorts- no theme parks. Looking back on the trip, I don't see how anyone could possibly do the 3 table service meals a day that are included as part of the DxDP AND do the parks too, but somehow people do it! Here was our itinerary:

Saturday, December 23rd
Dinner at Boma- 6:20 PM

Sunday, December 24th
Brunch at California Grill- 11:40 AM (2 Table Service Credits)
Dinner at Ohana- 5:50 PM

Monday, December 25th
Dinner at Hoop Dee Doo Review- 8:30 (2 Table Service Credits)

Reviews and pics to follow!

DAY ONE- Saturday, December 23rd

Being Orlando locals, what we usually do when we stay on property is do the online check in, then just drive over once we get our room number via text, bypassing the front desk. However, for this trip, our Magic Bands got lost in the mail and we wanted to use our snack credits for lunch, so we went over and checked in around noon. The room wasn't ready (I didn't expect it to be), so we drove over to Port Orleans French Quarter to use one of our snack credits for beignets. We ended up splitting a Beignet Sundae, which vanilla ice cream and strawberry sauce- it was so good! (sorry no pic)

It was about this time we received a text letting us know our room was ready. I had requested an even numbered room at BLT (so we would hopefully be in one of the rooms that faces toward MK, though our room type was lake view). I also requested a high floor. We ended up in 7608- a studio on the 6th floor. We lucked out with a view of the MK to the left and Bay Lake to the right:
full

full

Saturday, December 23rd
Dinner at Boma- 6:20 PM

Boma has always been one of our favorites, and this trip didn't disappoint! I had a total of 4 plates, including dessert (which was pretty much a plate of zebra domes). The highlights were the cous cous, the plantains with the coriander sauce (that sauce is wonderful!) and the loin, cooked medium. Here is one of my plates, piled high (I added broccolini to have at least somthing green on the plate):

full

I think this trip to Boma was one of the easiest we've had. Check in was pretty quick- usually there's a horde of people waiting around the check-in podium, but not this time, and it was nice that they text you when the table is ready instead of the pager system (though I noticed the following day at Ohana they're still using the pager system). We were too full to do anything else, so we headed back to the room to watch the HEA fireworks. I had only seen them in the park prior to that night, so I wasn't sure what to expect. When I watched it in the park prior to this trip, I mainly focused on the castle projections and not the actual fireworks. Watching it from the room though was nice because you focus more on the actual fireworks instead of the castle projections. Apparently there's a channel in the room where you can play the music from the show, but for the life of me I couldn't find that channel and missed the first few minutes trying to locate it!

It was such a nice night, but we were so full from Boma (and what we call "Boma Coma"), we were wondering how hungry we would be for the California Grill brunch the next day!

DAY TWO- Sunday, December 24th

This was the day that was worrying me- we had 2 reservations this day; both huge meals and both close to each other:

California Grill Brunch @ 11:40 AM
Ohana Dinner @ 5:50 PM

In a stroke of luck, I was on the MDE app the Thursday prior to the trip and was able to move the Ohana dinner to 7:45 PM! Its true what some others have said on here- sometimes you get lucky changing modifying reservations in the week prior to the reservation. I had been trying for months to change that reservation with no success, so I was happy to have more time between both reservations.

Hoping to get even more time between meals, we purposely arrived at CG way early- 10:15 AM, and explained to the CM at the podium that we were hoping to dine earlier than 11:40 AM. Without hesitation, we were immediately whisked up the elevator to the restaurant! We had dined at CG in the past for dinner, but this was our first time at the brunch. As soon as you walk in, you're offered a mimosa by the seater. Our server, Yassine, who was from Morocco, made sure to keep the mimosas continuously refilled- he was totally on top of it during the whole meal! We were lucky enough to be sat right where the head chef, Jonathan, finishes off each entree before the food runners take each the plates out to the tables, so we got a preview of each of the entrees:
full

The meal started with a BANG! Actually, it was more of a CRASH - I accidentally bumped into one of the servers when I got up from our booth, ruining two entrees in a mess of broken dishes and food everywhere! I felt so bad for the server and apologized profusely, and within seconds, about 5 or 6 Cast Members swarmed to the area, continuing to ask me if I was alright and reassuring me that everything was fine. I was so embarrassed, but the staff mess was cleaned up within minutes and it was as though it had never happened!

We started with the sushi and charcuterie options:

full
full

All of the food from the buffet was extremely fresh! It reminded me a lot of the Palo brunch on the Disney Cruise, but I don't remember sushi as an option at that brunch, so this was a welcome addition! Between the two of us, we had 5 entrees:

Vanilla Bean French Toast:
full

Korean Chicken:
full

Lobster Eggs Benedict:
full

Carrot Cake Pancakes:
full

...and the Steak:
full

Of the entrees we had, the Carrot Cake Pancakes and the steak were the standouts. I had heard good things about the Korean chicken, but I found it too salty, so I mainly at the chicken and pulled the skin off. The meal concluded with a plate full of macarons, fig cookies (YUM!), chocolate truffles, and peppermint bark:
full

We were at the brunch a total of THREE HOURS!!! I'm pretty sure that I alone probably had 7 or 8 mimosas within that time frame and enough food for days! The nice part is we never felt rushed- the whole experience was wonderful from beginning to end! As we were winding down the meal, we were able to overhear Chef Jonathan talking with his staff. It was clear he has a high standard when it come to the meal presentation and he sent more than a few plates back for being either too big (french toast), too small (steak) or not being plated correctly. He only stepped away from his station in the event any guests with food allergies arrived, which he would go over each and every food offering with them. Lets just say there's a LOT of guests with gluten allergies!

I was surprised at the number of small kids at the brunch as well. I mean, I know its Disney, after all, but as a kid, I know I'd rather be in the Magic Kingdom at that time of day than sitting in a restaurant. Still, the kids we saw were all really well-behaved. There was one little boy who walked up to the food line and asked the chefs for bacon. They loaded this kid with a plate full of bacon and were so respectful to him- it was really cute to watch!:
full

He ended up coming back for seconds and thirds!

The brunch uses two TS credits as part of the dining plan, and also includes valet parking (which we didn't use since we were staying there) and you can also go back up to the restaurant with receipt to see the fireworks (which we didn't do either). OOP price for the brunch is pretty steep ($80 pp), so I'm not sure if we would be able to do it again, but it is DEFINITELY worth doing at least once!

Loving it so far! I once spilled my drink twice at RFC in Disney Springs, I was really embarrassed bc the ppl around us were watching and even talking about it... I hate attention so it was a HUGE deal to me..

Loving it so far! I once spilled my drink twice at RFC in Disney Springs, I was really embarrassed bc the ppl around us were watching and even talking about it... I hate attention so it was a HUGE deal to me..

I know exactly what you mean- its so serene at CG and when the plate-breaking incident happened, it was like the mood totally changed! That was probably all in my head though :)

Sunday, December 24th
Dinner at Ohana

Still completely full after a three-hour experience at CG brunch, we were kinda dreading the dinner at Ohana as neither of us were hungry. We wanted to get a pre-drink at the Top of the World Lounge, but I wasn't sure exactly what the rules are regarding who is allowed up there. We were staying on DVC points, but the points were my parents, not ours. I figured I would explain to the CM who mans the elevator that takes you up to the TOTWL and see what they say. To my surprise, the CM working there, Sonya, looked at the two of us before we could say anything and said "hey guys! Are you back for more?" Before I could reply, she came back with a "I remember you guys from last night; go on up and have a great time!" I still am not sure what the policy is, but I wasn't about to stand there and explain, so we happily jumped in the elevator and headed upstairs. We were greeted by our server, Emily, and the other server, also named Emily, and had a wonderful chat with Emily #1. She was asking about our day and we were talking about the brunch, and she had mentioned her boyfriend works in the kitchen at CG and was there during the brunch. Since she was working the evening shift at TOTWL, they were "two ships passing in the night!" lol We then ordered our drinks: an Apple Pie Martini for me and an Angry Orchard for Greg:
full

Emily said the slowest times at TOTWL are during the DVC Moonlight Magic events, when all the DVC members are in the parks. After chatting some more, we paid our tab and headed to the monorail for Ohana.

It had been quite some time since I've been to Ohana, but I had a pretty good memory of it being great. We were 15 minutes late for our 7:45 PM reservation, checking in right at 8:00 PM. Then we waited... and waited... and waited...

FINALLY, around 8:50 PM our old antiquated pager went off (no text messaging here) and we were sat at a table for 3. These tables for 3 are a little odd- they're long rectangles, with a chair on each end and one in the middle. We were sat on opposite sides of the table, and pretty far away from each other. I ended up moving to the middle chair so we wouldn't have to yell to each other from across the room. Similar to the CG brunch, we were sat right by the food, in this case, where all the meat skewers were. Bread was brought out immediately by our server, who took our drink order. The bread wasn't that good- it was dry, cold and kinda hard. The butter that went with it was pretty good and sort of made up for the bread. We were then presented with the salad and the skillet of food:
full

The pork dumplings were really good! The noodles, though, weren't that good at all; it was like they had been sitting around for a while. The chicken wings were also pretty greasy. I ate all the water chestnuts out of the vegetables, but not much else. We both had our hearts set on the shrimp, so I was trying to save room for that. We were first offered chicken, then steak, then chicken again. I asked if we could have shrimp, to which the server holding the chicken skewer replied, "yes, we have shrimp." Finally the server came with shrimp, and it was really good! By then though, we were both pretty full and weren't feeling up to that much shrimp. During all this, the HEA fireworks were going on, and we had a really good view! It was nice to hear the music that accompanied the fireworks.

Overall, I'm not sure if I had built up Ohana in my head, but I remembered kids rolling coconuts around the restaurant, or playing with hula hoops; there was none of that going on. I wasn't sure if it had to do with the fireworks and the time of the evening or not. There was a guy strolling around playing a ukulele, but that was about it. Greg's chair kept getting repeatedly bumped by servers, no matter how much he moved his chair forward, and the whole dining experienced felt completely rushed compared to Boma and CG.

Dessert came- the bread pudding, and somehow we forced ourselves to eat it. We then boarded the monorail for BLT, but when it stopped at MK, it was a mob scene. Throngs of people from a Christmas Eve day at the park all shoved in. Fortunately, we were only one stop away from our hotel! We went right to the room, pretty disgusted with how much we had eaten in a day!

Glad I checked in on this review! YUM! (I'm hungry that's why I stopped by:rotfl2:).
Everything looks Wonderful but I'd still be eating the first meal....soooo much food.
Two questions, what are the pastries on the plate with the macarons at CG? The one to the right of the yellow macaron in Greg's picture?
Second, what is in the white bowl at Boma? Looks like a sauce with rice or maybe cous cous? I'm drooling right now so thanks a lot for the great pictures!

Huh, everytime I go to Ohana they have the coconut races and hula hoop contests.. Must have been an off day, now the noodles are meant to be served room temp, which throws me off each time but I do like them, I know everyone loves the wings but I never did, my favorite is the dumplings, the veggies and the meats especially the steak and shrimp, IF they aren't over cooked and dry.. Over all Ohana is a favorite and a must do for us every trip..

Glad I checked in on this review! YUM! (I'm hungry that's why I stopped by:rotfl2:).
Everything looks Wonderful but I'd still be eating the first meal....soooo much food.
Two questions, what are the pastries on the plate with the macarons at CG? The one to the right of the yellow macaron in Greg's picture?
Second, what is in the white bowl at Boma? Looks like a sauce with rice or maybe cous cous? I'm drooling right now so thanks a lot for the great pictures!

I don't remember what the pastries were called, but two of them were blueberry and one of them was raspberry- I had the raspberry one, but I was so full at that point that I had maybe two bites or so. It was good though! The three truffles on the right of the plates were dark chocolate (the BEST!), coconut and blueberry. I did notice when I saw other servers pass with the same plated desserts that some people got different macarons than we did- ours were pistachio, lemon and pasionfruit. YUM YUM! :)

Huh, everytime I go to Ohana they have the coconut races and hula hoop contests.. Must have been an off day, now the noodles are meant to be served room temp, which throws me off each time but I do like them, I know everyone loves the wings but I never did, my favorite is the dumplings, the veggies and the meats especially the steak and shrimp, IF they aren't over cooked and dry.. Over all Ohana is a favorite and a must do for us every trip..

Those dumplings were pretty good- I could've eaten a whole plate of just those! I'm assuming the coconut races and hula hoop contests didn't happen because of the timing with the fireworks, and after the fireworks were done, we didn't notice many kids in the restaurant, so maybe that's why they didn't do it? I always thought it was fun to watch

I forgot to mention this nice surprise that was waiting in our room when we returned from brunch! This white chocolate Tinkerbell came in a box shaped like a lantern and had a card from "The Cast of Disney's Contemporary Resort" thanking us for our resort! I haven't a clue how or who or what was responsible for us getting this, but it's so nice I still haven't eaten it!

full

FINAL DAY- Monday, December 25th
Hoop Dee Doo Review and SNACKS SNACKS SNACKS!

Checking out Christmas morning wasn't as hectic as I thought it would be. The annoying part was a knock on the door at 8:30am- it was 2 housekeeping cast members asking if we had any trash. They had a huge bin that they were wheeling around. I asked them if they really needed the trash now and they said they'd come back later. An hour and a half later, there was another knock on the door and the same 2 housekeeping CMs were asking for trash. I just told them we didn't have any and we were checking out anyway. I couldn't understand it as I had placed the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. I noticed though that the sign no longer reads Do Not Disturb, it now reads Room Occupied. After our trip I read up on it and apparently the monorail resorts now have these signs instead of Do Not Disturb; here's some articles I found regarding the changes for both the daily trash and the signs, which are apparently both for security reasons:

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/12/break...-world-hotels-not-disturb-room-signs-removed/

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/12/dvc-r...ely-related-new-wdw-resort-security-measures/

Anyway, we checked out fairly early and both drove home, each vowing we weren't going to eat anything for the entire day until the HDDR that night. I received the final folio for our trip via email:

Deluxe Dining Plan for 2: $414.28
Gratuities for Boma, Ohana, and CG Brunch: $66.70
Drinks at TOTWL: $24.00

Grand Total: $504.98, or $252.49 each

I know a big question on the Disboards is whether or not the Dining Plans are worth it and if you end up saving money in the long run. On the surface, you do save money- I know if I add up how much each meal would've cost OOP, it would've been more than $500, but even with those savings, you have to go below the surface and ask yourself if you would've eaten that much in the first place. Looking back on it, I think the mistake Greg and I made on this trip was booking All You Can Eat for every meal. In hindsight, I think if I were to do the DxDP again, I would do more of the signature dining that require 2 TS. I couldn't even begin to imagine how we could possibly have done 3 TS meals per day! We did our favorites on this trip, and I think a future DxDP trip would have us trying different signature places instead so we could try new things. Originally for this trip, we had only planned to do 2 things: HDDR and CG brunch. Since those 2 experiences on their own were gonna run over $300, we figured if we did the DxDP for $100 more (not counting gratuities), we would be able to add 2 of our faves: Boma and Ohana.

The fun part of being able to just tap the band whenever you're finished with your meal- there's something nice and hassle-free about it! Still, Greg and I usually cook as part of our stay, and though I know some people wouldn't dream of cooking on their vacation, I kinda missed it. For Christmas last year, we stayed at GF and had breakfast in the room:

full

And for my birthday last year, we stayed at the Polynesian and grilled steaks and had a full spread of food in the barbecue area:
full
full

On a side note, I for one am REALLY excited they are adding alcoholic drinks to the 2018 DDP! Greg and I both like to have a drink at dinner, so since the DxDP didn't include alcohol at either Boma or Ohana, we did pre drinks and post drinks in the room. We typically spend a TON of money on drinks when we do WDW, so I think the money we saved drinking in the room ended up going towards the DxDP.

By the evening of Christmas, neither Greg nor I had a single bite of food since Ohana, and by then we were getting pretty hungry. We drove from home to Wilderness Lodge to check out the Christmas decorations and when I was in the merchandise shop at the Lodge, it hit me: SNACKS! WE HAVE ALL THESE SNACK CREDITS STILL! I had pretty much forgotten about the snack credits after getting the beignets on the first day and I knew if I didn't use them, I'd lose them. Somehow, I thought I had a total of 3 remaining credits after getting the beignet, so I grabbed 3 bags of the Goofy's Candy Company candies and headed to the register. After checkout, the CM informed me I had 4 snack credits left. I was shocked! WHAT?!?! She suggested we head to the food court to use up the remaining credits, which we did. After the food court, here was our total snack pile:

full

2 cupcakes (one was a campfire s'more cupcake and it was amazing!), the best gingerbread cookie I've ever bought, 3 bags of candy and a soda. It was an INSANE amount of snacks, and I can say I still have these bags of candy at home. Granted, neither Greg nor I touched any of these snacks as we knew we were headed to HDDR!

We boarded the boat for FW and arrive about 30 minutes prior to showtime. We got a drink at Crockett's Tavern. If you haven't been there recently, they now have a moonshine drink menu and it is SOOO GOOD! They have a lot of good drinks there! Sorry no pics, but it was so dark they probably wouldn't have turned out anyway! lol

Here's what I don't get about HDDR: everyone gets in this RIDICULOUSLY long line to wait to be seated, even though its assigned seating and therefore your table has already been chosen. I guess its like the airport, when you see people lining up to get on the plane even though everyone has an assigned seat. We sat on a bench, watching everyone standing there, and waited until the last person walked into Pioneer Hall, then we walked in and were immediately sat at our table. Our table number was 36- Category 1 and the view was perfect! The odd part, though, was it was a table for 4, and the table for 4 next to us was empty. It was the ONLY table not occupied and it was right near the stage! The entire place was packed, and I know the folks sitting on the 2nd floor were probably looking down, wondering why there are 2 guys sitting at a table for 8!
full

We did HDDR for Christmas last year as well, so its kinda become a tradition since. I don't have any food pics, but the fried chicken and ribs were good as always and we both stuck to wine this time (last year was beer). The performers in the show were wonderful!!!

So, that's my first Disboards review. Thanks for reading and I hope you guys enjoyed it!!! :)

Sounds like a wonderful getaway! I can"t wait to try brunch at the California Grill. It looks amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter