Title Chosen: World of Friendship! October 2017 Girls Getaway: Aloha to the Poly/ MCO Hyatt p33-4

I'm always happy to re-visit "Dee's Corner" in person and by dredging up the trip report chapter.

I remember Dee’s corner, and your happiness at finding it, like it was yesterday (possibly a sign I’m getting old lol). Thanks for the trip back in time :)
Looking forward to your next update and very much hoping you and Mark are still happily married given that he wasn’t with you on this trip :scared1::rotfl2::rotfl:

Sorry to disappoint, but the teaser for the romance update was from the class trip report. My green love interest was one of the Toy Story Army Men.
:love:

Love Dee's corner!

It really is a special place. What it lacks in space, it makes up for in wonderful memories!

:laughing:

Yes indeed, I have! I try and check up on it when I go to DHS, make sure it's nice and tidy! :)

From May 2017:

sQGNXZOMo3caJcmlPTuBlOvS1ybD-PhfYe5DaQJx2eyjx0rKjo85tTgg4Ec29QaHcl8nVkQMa4zq42MiY2zCmXf6J2UiLbMl2cMBsKbQGacJQO3zlBoiRzN7BqOrf0kuLr6sl3JvJVjvVbRNFDjGOgNEkRvDOxSv9-XOQRBNpB8GoCD-t_aMvpfC_CUriYPwmrJGdOHznqH-X-_Gd7lJPRUDGp6DBQn-644LBmrSQ0nRUhzg2XOK7M5AluUaX0cnLiO1yZjYOh7NnOdrRhVx3jaS_w3l-mDYCC-9hZX6xCmEBAKVBGWcB13zNrLuQECIPYwPLeOcz04aVjZ2SCseNVcDChLhASjI1Bp-6jYYdvPzRNpUlV4Xzu5RwCha6wg0B1JMgVmxxenI-L7h9SYZeR8yBXPq9Ar5fN-tkzjLV7B4Ek3OZnVkG9mDkoM7vDCZO_9t07N5uGrl1x2Zn9_nlSZjczA7LY5mYoknKIwvg_7SJi_dTYG5feJmGaKcx4TqkdJxI7_kV0MNJwTHZDMX5cpt8K0ezQDsYd9r018ft0pBonZnOaTwvsXzFcYkOrZQC59QutRucv_8_pysua-sQo3dR-QYCm70A3mhE4-z=w217-h289-no

From Feb 2017(more of a distance shot):

r4ittN2QmkphsU0dVL98Qcsynisv1i51TH2h6zua4hD7P4AFBn8_GAdQ5iU7Ip3YxMceK0wxhcEJomZ258h42GB_O2fsCSNDd5S5bPDr78VLGeyyJgVHJVhQuvUJvKloW5YvZfak3bqDKk9NGlVOmhY_LrW2Fw4W38Ch5tf5loGFCANsyzdYQfTrHg7kK6tPjsSQ7D1vI-vDdQxGYjyK2cbt6r_uiPsjQaooRHOKI1HsBYPK6Bmwjut66-cj6jO2kA6_EaBxP37ym1LHulLVYz08qiucRKk6Z-2cNZOU06KTplAjDyuosB8R8GOWkdz99ofcwORaR13vnsRnu-pFJmcwwZrGkrWutWkcAUD2v_RUkCF09HYtJVthDSiPwLCI7tByWafwKPdSmW1t-cL5BD_KR4az_0mhAgs4tLffHMgpN5kwOz6JXU7E1kXX7AFN2idWa9oTqsiCH-_TloXnnsxCZD_s_jAddvzWh3qN-w0fDf915a-FLUZlvosjvb8k68B0DRFugJIVCybTyxsmnjODJfq9hUHBIddjQOsMbUvBHlIzRzcL9JXK9XV4nmv6Zby6sYRTBmEganHzohjY-Xhf6n_XsUp8wprPKYWbsK_IT2EyvdHl0TxbPrT-Z3B0Sur0CRybIdWK1nieXRi05bNu839stq0jJA=w344-h458-no

From December 2016:

j59dtvKxh2RVdn5sGSGoXh3QPllmZfSc7xCVCdzsIsE6V4FEXOAaQB7SOaC_dIBL20Many-mWnAooRiFaloAXBVX87YtwSye_eVbzps8hf8DvItBkNcL6bYw83L3H3iNvDh2LVXk24gg6WcdaC7VFn5_OK4VyMutY6Xlj7-cU3G7N9zKkEMkTZh4IwB6tukO59P40T2-YeedqNht-9SD7WJqoRNq0VUhcvZzg-nog4gK8oxTmG15xT80OVMVvSvh6LlSvf9Sq7jY--BjwapLS7I3eMi8VrKuyHXrBWK-azXyRs9wguVHSwgwVc20FjhcQtvwT5MBcsv-p3p3lmobkT8hqeHnXqyzYGIJJBWnKv3g0l2OXJmicidb0hc8mUsBhLjCUhxZkqFb2CWxMZi0qGyUAab3Qh2GLkHG6ulU46stMw77SS3XgF7RASE0-U2GmfZY_Uokgyt0x0i0BVm-mQ-YPAgHccmVYB0LBgPv93WsovK2an93jLmMR8BE3zaCpT24g0FRlR08UyaySC7bOkofAd8nmv2QznzHQgb7mNSQOU75OF0K4T2pucqf8dPPJ7uw_EHxYkXqZRT9P6f0dMy8kZ4vRp0BBT9F_Xir=w238-h317-no

It must be good to know you have a bunch of sentinels in the parks keeping the area ready for you Dee! :confused3

Thanks for these pictures!

Thank you for keeping an eye on my place. I think you make the most frequent pilgrimages to the spot!

:hug:

“2”

Around the World in 80 Plates

We left Hollywood Studios and hopped on a Friendship boat. Although this was not our departure point as usual, it is always great to get views of my favorite Disney resort!

IMG_2027.jpg

DSCF2998.jpg

DSCF3003.jpg

DSCF3002.jpg

DSCF3004.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

We breezed though the International Gateway. As we entered into the World Showcase, between UK and France, we saw a PP photographer so we stopped for some pictures.

EP.jpg

EP%202.jpg

The photographer was great and took closeup individual shots of each of us.

Here’s mine. Looks like I need some sunglasses. Or sleep. Probably both!

EP%20Dee.jpg

Now that we have documented our arrival in the second park of the day, it was time to get some grub!

We headed over to the plaza in Future World West where there were 3 or 4 booths that had things we wanted to try.

DSCF3015.jpg

Our view from our table was gorgeous

DSCF3007.jpg

DSCF3017.jpg

DSCF3018.jpg

The view of our food samples was not bad, either.

From Active Eats:

IMG_2031.jpg

Roasted Verlasso Salmon with Quinoa Salad and Arugula Chimichurri

The salmon was cooked very well. This was tasty.

IMG_2032.jpg

Loaded Mac & Cheese- Pepper Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, Peppers and Green Onions

I didn’t have any or much of this. Mac & Cheese is not my jam.

Flavors From Fire:

DSCF3016.jpg

Piggy Wings-Roasted Pork Wings with Korean BBQ sauce and Sesame Seeds

These were ok. Blander than I would have liked.

The Cheese Studio:

DSCF3012.jpg

Savory Carmelized Onion and Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese Tart with with Cold Arugula Salad and Aged Balsamic Vinegar

OMG- this was huge, and rich. I don’t think the four of us were able to finish it.

At this point, we parted ways with ~Ninja. She was going to head to the Poly to rest up a bit.

The 3 of us continued on a quest to sample more food.

My favorite cuisine is Greek food. I had skipped this booth earlier in the week, and also the previous year when I was there with Mark, because the lines seemed really long there. But it was now or never, so I sucked it up and waited in line for the Taste of Greece

DSCF3020.jpg

Stuffed Grape Leaves with Lemon-Dill Sauce, Grilled Octopus, and Feta Cheese Dip with Warm Pita

I’m really glad I got this. The grape leaves were tasty but not as good as the ones I make (they rarely are), the octopus had really good flavor, the Feta Cheese dip was ok. Pita could have been softer.

While I was queuing and then chewing, Nannette and Janet had wandered off, I think to a gift shop. We planned to meet up here.

IMG_2034.jpg

DSCF3026.jpg

After meeting up, we made our final sampling selections. Keeping with a Polynesian theme, we got a couple of plates from here:

DSCF3027.jpg

Teriyaki-glazed SPAM Hash with Potatos, Peppers, Onions and Spicy Mayonnaise

I don’t know if I tried this or not.

Perhaps I was blinded to amnesia by this:

DSCF3024.jpg

Passion Fruit Cheesecake with Macadamia Nuts

Shut.UP!

We were pretty full, but we had passed by Australia and saw one more sweet treat that intrigued us. We decided to go for it:

DSCF3021.jpg

DSCF3023.jpg

Lamington- Yellow Cake Dipped in Chocolate and Shredded Coconut

This was not as good as it should have been. It was a little dry.

Nannette informed us that we had a room assignment, so it was time to leave EPCOT and settle in to our new digs.

DSCF3030.jpg

DSCF3034.jpg

DSCF3035.jpg

These two were performing a handstand and a CM came over and told them to stop.

We hopped on the monorail to the TTC and walked to our longhouse.

Next Up: I Can See the Castle from My House!

Last edited:

The boat from DHS or Epcot is always a great way to see the resort area. It also makes me miss staying there every time I am not.

Great PP photos!

Wait Mac & Cheese is not your jam? Who doesn't like Mac & Cheese! :eek:

Loving all the food reviews! I can't wait to check out food and wine later this year.

As you may recall, I found (actually, Mark did) a nice niche at the YC, second floor overlooking the lobby, where there was not much traffic.
The secret second floor sitting area at the YC is a hidden gem. ::yes:: My daughter, Lisa, two of my sisters and I were staying at the Poly for the race. It was part of a race package. All I could think of the entire time was how much I missed the Beach Club. I knew every good place for a nap at the BC and the villas building, too.

I can't wait to hear about your one night stay at the Poly. A lot of people love that resort.

Love riding in the back of the Friendship boats
Beautiful pictures from your boat ride
I’m glad you got to try some new food

Four parks in one day sounds like so much fun! I've always wanted to try something like that.

A peaceful ride on a Friendship Boat is so relaxing. And you can't beat those views!

I'm drooling over some of your Food & Wine samplings. I'm currently working on getting back there this fall.

You make stuffed grape leaves?! Wow!

The boat from DHS or Epcot is always a great way to see the resort area. It also makes me miss staying there every time I am not.

Great PP photos!

Wait Mac & Cheese is not your jam? Who doesn't like Mac & Cheese! :eek:

Loving all the food reviews! I can't wait to check out food and wine later this year.

I still remember the first time I took a Friendship boat- My first onsite stay with family, staying at All Star Music. We were supposed to eat at Cape May (my first visit to the Beach Club), but my son was sick so we cancelled and I was making a takeout run from the World Showcase to bring back to the hotel. Had no idea the BC would play such an important role in my life at the time.

I keep saying it, but we had awesome PP photographers on this trip!

I tend to like foods that are savory more than rich, so mac & cheese is not one of my favorite meals. I won't touch an Alfredo. Weird. I know.

I can't wait to hear what you think of F&W.

:thumbsup2

The secret second floor sitting area at the YC is a hidden gem. ::yes:: My daughter, Lisa, two of my sisters and I were staying at the Poly for the race. It was part of a race package. All I could think of the entire time was how much I missed the Beach Club. I knew every good place for a nap at the BC and the villas building, too.

I can't wait to hear about your one night stay at the Poly. A lot of people love that resort.

That really is a great spot at the Yacht Club. You can't beat comfy seats, very little foot traffic and outlets for plugging in a laptop or charging a phone.

"Mark's Corner"

WP_20161021_101.jpg

We weren't at the Poly long enough for me to discover a quiet, secret space.

:ssst:

Love riding in the back of the Friendship boats
Beautiful pictures from your boat ride
I’m glad you got to try some new food

Between the boat ride and lunch, it was a really great part of the day. It was nice to have 3-4 people so we could order lots of stuff and try different things. That is my favorite way to eat!

::yes::

Nice boat ride from DHS to Epcot! Glad you could sample so many items from the food booths- yum!

I thought we got a good variety of food on that trip. But even with 3 visits to EPCOT, we barely scratched the surface of what was available at Food & Wine.

:cool2:

Four parks in one day sounds like so much fun! I've always wanted to try something like that.

A peaceful ride on a Friendship Boat is so relaxing. And you can't beat those views!

I'm drooling over some of your Food & Wine samplings. I'm currently working on getting back there this fall.

You make stuffed grape leaves?! Wow!

I have come close before. 3 parks- no problem. Did 4 parks on our 2009 trip- Blizzard Beach instead of MK, though, so I don't think it really counts. Mark and I were on the "outskirts" of 4 parks on our anniversary trip- EPCOT, HS, dining at Boma (near AK) and Pirates and Pals at Contemporary (near MK).

I love seeing "my" resort from the water. BW and the Swalfin are cool too.

Love Disney in the fall! I'm not sure we will be back this year, since it will be a busy time for Ben, applying to college. But in 2019, we will be empty nesters, with both boys away at school...

:rolleyes1

I make grape leaves every Christmas eve and sometime for special occasions like teacher appreciation luncheons or pot luck lunches. Ben helps me sometimes. I use ground meat in mine, but a lot of people prepare vegetarian ones. I am not Greek, but I had a Greek boyfriend (broke up with him when I started dating Mark a gazillion years ago). Man, I hated breaking up with his family! I miss the food! But I can make it all on my own when I need to.

:cool1:

Last edited:
Glad you got to hit up the Greek food booth this trip since you missed it the previous two times.

Your desserts - the cheesecake and coconut cake - sounded and looked delicious. Bummer that the cake was too dry.

I had to take a closer look at your final picture to see the people that were doing handstands. And what the heck?! The guy's holding that girl up one handed! And she's completely calm about it. No way.

You got some great food sampling done and I totally agree-the view from your table is awesome!!
I love the look of the cheesecake-totally something I'd enjoy. Glad you got to sample some Greek food. I went on holiday to Kavos in Greece in 1986 before it became a "destination". It was a tiny traditional village then with a couple of tavernas and sandy roads leading to the beach. Unfortunately we had been so warned about the perils of food-poisoning we ate well-done steak and chips the whole time until we ran out of money when we switched to crisps and fruit :rotfl2::rotfl2:Now I think of opportunities missed :(
I've only tasted Mac n cheese once and I made it myself with bacon and crispy breadcrumb topping. I did love it though it was very rich. Yours looks tasty too :thumbsup2
Looking forward to the Poly especially the room view :)

That was a great day at Epcot, but we really do look tired in those pictures. Hard to believe it was only the first half of our day! I'm guessing we were tired from having a jam packed few days before. This was not a trip to be described as restful!

I don't remember seeing that hand stand couple. I may have totally missed that! It is impressive.

AWWWW!!! Thanks!
Did this PP photographer remember you, too?! ;):laughing:
I guess not. We didn't get any fast passes out of it.
:rotfl2:

Glad you got to hit up the Greek food booth this trip since you missed it the previous two times.
Your desserts - the cheesecake and coconut cake - sounded and looked delicious. Bummer that the cake was too dry.
I had to take a closer look at your final picture to see the people that were doing handstands. And what the heck?! The guy's holding that girl up one handed! And she's completely calm about it. No way.
I enjoyed the Greek food! And it was before meeting up with the gals, so I had it all to myself.
Both desserts hit the spot, even though the cake was a little dry.
Isn't that an insane pose? I wonder if they are cheerleaders or gymnasts.
Here's the picture of the dismount:

DSCF3036 (2).JPG
Somewhat blocked but look at her hair flying up!
:scared1:

You got some great food sampling done and I totally agree-the view from your table is awesome!!
I love the look of the cheesecake-totally something I'd enjoy. Glad you got to sample some Greek food. I went on holiday to Kavos in Greece in 1986 before it became a "destination". It was a tiny traditional village then with a couple of tavernas and sandy roads leading to the beach. Unfortunately we had been so warned about the perils of food-poisoning we ate well-done steak and chips the whole time until we ran out of money when we switched to crisps and fruit :rotfl2::rotfl2:Now I think of opportunities missed :(
I've only tasted Mac n cheese once and I made it myself with bacon and crispy breadcrumb topping. I did love it though it was very rich. Yours looks tasty too :thumbsup2
Looking forward to the Poly especially the room view :)
I was afraid we would have trouble finding places to eat since you hear all sorts of stories about people using garbage cans as tables :sad2: but we never had trouble finding a spot, and this one had a lovely ambiance.
Oh, no! The main reason I would go to Greece would be for the food!
So Mac N Cheese is not popular on your side of the pond? Kraft mac n cheese with the dehydrated orange powder is a childhood staple here.
I hope I took some pictures while at the Poly. :laughing:

That was a great day at Epcot, but we really do look tired in those pictures. Hard to believe it was only the first half of our day! I'm guessing we were tired from having a jam packed few days before. This was not a trip to be described as restful!
I don't remember seeing that hand stand couple. I may have totally missed that! It is impressive.
Well, it had already been a long day at that point. I believe we got some iced tea and had a bit of relaxation time at the Poly. After a short rest we went back to chasing the high of a 4 park day! I didn't remember that couple doing the handstand until I was looking at my pictures for this update. I was probably lagging behind the two of you, taking pictures and it happened too quickly for me to point it out to you.

:cheer2:

YAY, I finally made my guest appearance in this TR! (Okay, so "finally" was like almost three weeks ago now, it looks like... Life hasn't been affording me much DIS time these days!) It was SUPER great to meet ya'll, and such a wonderful surprise! I'm so glad that Sue jumped in front of my wheels like that, haha. :)

So Mac N Cheese is not popular on your side of the pond? Kraft mac n cheese with the dehydrated orange powder is a childhood staple here.
I hope I took some pictures while at the Poly. :laughing:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen mac n cheese on a kids menu here (or an adult one either). The orange stuff served in the parks grossed me out, but then I tried making it from a friends recipe and it was gorgeous and definitely Not orange!! Very rich though so a small portion more than enough whereas Id made enough to feed a family of 6! Let’s just say I was scundered looking at mac n cheese :rotfl::rotfl:

Last edited:
YAY, I finally made my guest appearance in this TR! (Okay, so "finally" was like almost three weeks ago now, it looks like... Life hasn't been affording me much DIS time these days!) It was SUPER great to meet ya'll, and such a wonderful surprise! I'm so glad that Sue jumped in front of my wheels like that, haha. :)

Sorry it has taken me so long to :welcome: you here.

I was so glad to meet you! I wouldn't have recognized you, so I am super glad that Sue did. It was such a funny moment!

:rotfl2:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen mac n cheese on a kids menu here (or an adult one either). The orange stuff served in the parks grossed me out, but then I tried making it from a friends recipe and it was gorgeous and definitely Not orange!! Very rich though so a small portion more than enough whereas Id made enough to feed a family of 6! Let’s just say I was scundered looking at mac n cheese :rotfl::rotfl:

I make a macaroni and cheese with ham and mushrooms whenever we have leftover baked ham (which is more often than just Easter. I make a ham several times throughout the year). The recipe I use is Pierre Franey's which was posted in the New York Times a gazillion years ago.

It's a really good recipe. I don't like it as much as the boys all do, but I'll eat a serving or so.

::yes::

Oh Dee I’ll have to search for your recipe and try it out. I liked the one I tried but it was really rich so I’m up for trying other recipes:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter