Title Chosen: World of Friendship! October 2017 Girls Getaway: Aloha to the Poly/ MCO Hyatt p33-4

Again, I'm sorry to be away for the past week or so.

Long story short, my dad fell in his apartment, had to call 911 and he was taken to the hospital. He was there Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Nothing broken, but he had an infection that had made him weak and disoriented. Then he was released to rehab for 5 days to get his strength up. He returned to his apartment yesterday. I have been going to visit him and deal with stuff every day since last Monday. Today is my first day staying close to home. My brother has said he would stop in and the visiting nurse is supposed to come by to see my dad today.

He has been in good spirits and joking around as always.

Don at Dover Rehab - Copy.jpg

Oh Dee I’ll have to search for your recipe and try it out. I liked the one I tried but it was really rich so I’m up for trying other recipes:)

I just found it so I'll post it here.

Macaroni With Ham and Cheese
Pierre Franey
  • Yield 6 or more servings
  • Time 35 minutes

Ingredients
  • ½ pound uncooked macaroni, about 2 cups
  • Salt to taste, if desired
  • ¾ pound cooked ham, sliced
  • ¼ pound mushrooms
  • ½ pound sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • ½ cup finely chopped onion
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil for cooking the macaroni. Add salt to taste. Add the macaroni and cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender. Drain and return to pot.
  3. Meanwhile, cut the ham into 1/2-inch cubes and set aside. There should be about 2 cups.
  4. Slice the mushrooms. There should be about 2 cups.
  5. Cut the Cheddar into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Stack the slices and cut them into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Cut the strips into 1/4-inch cubes. There should be about 2 cups.
  6. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan and add the flour, stirring with a wire whisk. Cook for about a minute; then add the milk, stirring rapidly with the whisk. Let simmer about 1 minute and add the nutmeg, Cheddar cheese, and salt and black pepper to taste.
  7. Heat the remaining tablespoon of butter in a skillet and add the onions and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are wilted. Add the ham and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add the cheese sauce, the cayenne and cream. Cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
  8. Pour and scrape the mixture into the macaroni and mix well. Transfer to a buttered 10-cup baking dish. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese and place in the oven. Bake 10 minutes. Turn the broiler to high.
  9. Brown the macaroni and cheese under the broiler until the top is nicely browned, 2 to 3 minutes.

Last edited:
I Can See the Castle from My House!

After receiving our room ready text while in EPCOT, we boarded the monorail to the Ticket and Transportation Center and walked to the Poly.

We were in Moorea, Room 1024

DSCF3040.jpg

Here’s a peek into our studio villa:

DSCF3050.jpg

DSCF3058.jpg

Pull out sofa bed for ~Ninja

DSCF3071.jpg

Bed for Janet and me

DSCF3074.jpg

DSCF3065.jpg

Nannette was excited about the trundle bed

DSCF3063.jpg

DSCF3051.jpg

DSCF3054.jpg

DSCF3053.jpg

Sorry this is so blurry!

DSCF3057.jpg

DSCF3068.jpg

Let’s pull back the curtain and take a look at the view…

Last edited:
Let’s pull back the curtain and take a look at the view…

DSCF3069.jpg

DSCF3059.jpg

DSCF3060.jpg

My grass!!!

I asked Nannette if it was ok if I left the patio to go out on the lawn. She told me “That’s your grass for today and tomorrow”. So I danced around singing
“I’m on my grass! This is my grass!”

While I was out there, Disney nailed the theming with a scene with the house from “UP”

DSCF3048.jpg

“OMG! OMG! I can see the castle from my house!”

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

Space Mountain, too!

After a few minutes in the room, we called for our suitcases and then we went to the lobby to look around a bit before finishing our day at the park(s). I’ll post the pictures from our moseys around the resort in a future update.

When we got back from Magic Kingdom that night, I loved watching the castle turning colors. It was raining, though, so I didn’t go out close with my camera.

DSCF3135.jpg

DSCF3141.jpg

DSCF3152.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

The views were also stunning the next morning

DSCF3181.jpg

DSCF3183.jpg

DSCF3182.jpg

IMG_8895.jpg

IMG_8897.jpg

IMG_8894.jpg

The room was perfect and the view was even perfecter!

Next up: “3” Safari so good, until it was time to ride Flights of Passage

Last edited:

So sorry to hear about your dad. Glad he is doing better!

Wow your room is so nice and what a fabulous view!! You got some great pics both day and night!

First Dee I’m so sorry to hear that your Dad fell but thankful he’s on the mend :hug:
Love your room at the Poly so pretty and what a view
I love watching the castle change colors too :goodvibes
2 bathrooms very nice :thumbsup2
Morning shots are gorgeous

Last edited:

Your studio is gorgeous. If you had to do it over again would you want to stay all four nights in the studio?

The macaroni casserole looks delicious. I just happen to have some ham in the freezer that was leftover from Easter which would be perfect for this dish. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad's fall. Glad that things are better. I know how difficult it can be with aging parents.

Those views from your room are amazing! I'm an early riser also, and I think I like the early morning views the best!

Your studio is gorgeous. If you had to do it over again would you want to stay all four nights in the studio?

The macaroni casserole looks delicious. I just happen to have some ham in the freezer that was leftover from Easter which would be perfect for this dish. :)

I'll chime in here... I wouldn't want to do the studio with the four of us for four nights. I think we might have driven each other a bit crazy if we were in that small a space for too long. But having two bathrooms in the studio was a big help. It was really nice to have the full kitchen and separate bedroom(s) for the first few nights. The full suite also comes with a dining table and chairs which we often sat at for our first few nights.

Oh no, sorry to hear about your dad's fall. I'm sure he appreciates you visiting with him last week, though.

Your room view! It was wonderful! Seeing your early morning shots make me even more excited for our night stay in 2(!) weeks.

I'll chime in here... I wouldn't want to do the studio with the four of us for four nights. I think we might have driven each other a bit crazy if we were in that small a space for too long. But having two bathrooms in the studio was a big help. It was really nice to have the full kitchen and separate bedroom(s) for the first few nights. The full suite also comes with a dining table and chairs which we often sat at for our first few nights.
You can’t beat a villa when it comes to space. :)

Did the studio have two full bathrooms or just a shower and sink in the second one?

I have no idea why I am not getting notifications of updates any more. That's happened to me on many of the threads that I am following. So glad to hear that your dad is doing better after his fall. It's scary seeing our loved ones as they grow old. I am the main caretaker for my mother and it pains me to see how much she has slowed down over the last couple of years.

Back to the report: You ladies look like you are having THE best time on this trip! It's amazing how the Dis has brought you all together. And the view from the Poly. Oh my goodness! I'd love to look out over that every day.

One of you (not naming names...... Ninja) is not as happy as the others.

As we entered into the World Showcase, between UK and France, we saw a PP photographer so we stopped for some pictures.

You guys always get great PP photos. :)

Here’s mine. Looks like I need some sunglasses. Or sleep. Probably both!

Sleep. No one sleeps at Disney. Well... you sleep really well... but never long enough.

Our view from our table was gorgeous

DSCF3007.jpg

Agreed!

Roasted Verlasso Salmon with Quinoa Salad and Arugula Chimichurri

The salmon was cooked very well. This was tasty.

That looks and sounds good!

Loaded Mac & Cheese- Pepper Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, Peppers and Green Onions

I didn’t have any or much of this. Mac & Cheese is not my jam.

Really! I'd be all over that.

Savory Carmelized Onion and Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese Tart with with Cold Arugula Salad and Aged Balsamic Vinegar

OMG- this was huge, and rich. I don’t think the four of us were able to finish it.

Too much greens, but... surprised by the size!

I’m really glad I got this. The grape leaves were tasty but not as good as the ones I make (they rarely are), the octopus had really good flavor, the Feta Cheese dip was ok. Pita could have been softer.

Glad you enjoyed it, even if it wasn't up to your standards. :)

Interesting shot.

Teriyaki-glazed SPAM Hash with Potatos, Peppers, Onions and Spicy Mayonnaise

I don’t know if I tried this or not.

Huh. Don't think that was there when I was a couple years ago. I'd try it.

Passion Fruit Cheesecake with Macadamia Nuts

Shut.UP!

That bad, huh?

Lamington- Yellow Cake Dipped in Chocolate and Shredded Coconut

This was not as good as it should have been. It was a little dry.

No. Just.... no.

coconut = evil

Long story short, my dad fell in his apartment, had to call 911 and he was taken to the hospital.

Sorry to hear that. Glad nothing was broken.

I have been going to visit him and deal with stuff every day since last Monday.

:hug:

Bed for Janet and me

You got a real bed this time!

Nannette was excited about the trundle bed

Uh, huh. How excited was she after she slept in it?

Niiiice.

I asked Nannette if it was ok if I left the patio to go out on the lawn. She told me “That’s your grass for today and tomorrow”. So I danced around singing
“I’m on my grass! This is my grass!”

:rotfl:

Space Mountain, too!

Not too shabby!!

When we got back from Magic Kingdom that night, I loved watching the castle turning colors.

That must've been amazing. Bit envious. :)

Thanks for the recipe Dee. I'm definitely going to give it a go (minus the mushrooms-not a fan). Might add peppers in their place :)
Glad your dad is back home - great photo of you both.
I've always wanted to stay at the poly and your photos have just solidified that wish! Gorgeous views and who doesn’t love getting to sing and dance on their own grass:jumping1:

I'm so glad your Dad is doing better!

What gorgeous views from your Studio- just wow! Can't wait to hear more about your day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!