to book or not to book--decisions decisions

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
I am really torn as to booking our next trip end of jan--we have an aug UY and usually have to borrow some points for each trip--weve only had our DVC since 16 so this would be our 5th stay

we have 82 our of our 100 points--in order to do this next trip I would need to borrow 23 points (my original plan was to book poly our home resort-and then change to a lesser point resort at 7 months) I finally got how this would all work and now we got this virus hanging over us--

since we have a fairly low amount of points Im just afraid if I dont do something right Ill lose points

espically with borrowing points
if I would borrow points and then either end up cancelling the trip since we dont feel comfortable or disney cancels what happens to the 23 points

or should I just book 5 nights in which case I only need to borrow 3 points so if the trip gets cancelled since I borrowed those points I couldnt bank then is that correct-and then at the 7 month mark either add the night at poly or see if I can switch to a lower point resort

we do like trying out the other resorts--

I hope this makes some sense

please help
thanks all

We really don't know what's going to be going on with availability in January, but I would expect it to be FAR harder to book a vacation this coming January than for a normal January.

If you'll be happy going for a 5 day stay at Poly, then book those 5 days. Or even just 4 days so you don't borrow points. (include Friday and Saturday to lock those in) Then at 7 months see if you can modify it to a longer stay at a longer resort and we'll know more about how things are progressing.

Right now you can bank forward your points so if you can't get what you're looking for or you decide you don't want to go for just 4-5 days, you can always bank them into next year and not lose anything. But if you borrow in (up to 50%) then you have to use them, and right now it looks like it might be very hard to get anything other than your home resort in the 11 month window. (I have a hard time believing that will be the case for the end of January, but I would be prepared for it. I already booked spring break week at BLT to make sure we have something in case rooms are scarce.)

Bruce

I am really torn as to booking our next trip end of jan--we have an aug UY and usually have to borrow some points for each trip--weve only had our DVC since 16 so this would be our 5th stay

we have 82 our of our 100 points--in order to do this next trip I would need to borrow 23 points (my original plan was to book poly our home resort-and then change to a lesser point resort at 7 months) I finally got how this would all work and now we got this virus hanging over us--

since we have a fairly low amount of points Im just afraid if I dont do something right Ill lose points

if I would borrow points and then either end up cancelling the trip since we dont feel comfortable or disney cancels what happens to the 23 points

or should I just book 5 nights in which case I only need to borrow 3 points so if the trip gets cancelled since I borrowed those points I couldnt bank then is that correct-and then at the 7 month mark either add the night at poly or see if I can switch to a lower point resort

please help
thanks all

By January the resorts are sure to be open. That means that any borrowed points will be stuck if you cancel,

Given the uncertain times, I would book what you can with your 82 points and then at 7 months, try to get what you want at a less expensive resort,

This way, you will still be able to bank if you cancel 31 days or more out snd risk nothing.

please help
thanks all
You could always book what you can now. Then either do a cash night or buy up to 24 One time use points at the 7 month mark if borrowing is not the route you want to go.

We really don't know what's going to be going on with availability in January, but I would expect it to be FAR harder to book a vacation this coming January than for a normal January.

Bruce

Boy, that's the truth! I just tried to book for January, and I was shocked at how little availability there was, even at 9 months out, for a studio. And at 7 months, I want to try to add a few days at AKL. Even though it's a solo trip, I may have to accept a 1 BR, just because of limited availability. Studios are really hard to get, but 1 BRs aren't quite as difficult.

I just grabbed a 1 BR at OKW in December. I love the holiday decorations! Will wait to book air until we see what happens in the fall with the virus. As long as I cancel 31+ days out, points will go back to 2020 UY. Fingers crossed! Have points in RCI that I transferred from DVC from a canceled Aruba trip we were supposed to leave for on June 3 :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter