To Disney Aug 22-30, 2010! More info added!

JenniBB

Mouseketeer
Reservations made :banana:, deposit in :cool1:, all but one ADR is done :cool2:, and I'm busying myself with a planning/packing list (cut and pasted from here), and thoughts on how to best "attack" the parks with the most FUN possible. I have a spreadsheet formulating with the ADRs, park hours, parade locations and times (though I know we won't hit them all, at least I have the info).
The best piece of advice I've seen (and am constantly reminding myself of) is to SLOW DOWN and enjoy the moments. I really want to make sure this is a vacation the kids remember fondly.

We are traveling from Virginia and are taking the train (Amtrak). When I was 7 we did that same trip to Disney with my family, and it is still one of my fondest childhood memories. Since DH HATES to fly, and we really don't want to drive, the train is perfect for us. Not to mention the great price.
I'm still on the lookout for great tips, so keep them coming!!

SEE BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS ON OUR TRIP!!

Yay!!! It sounds like you are making good progress. I am looking forward to checking in on you to see how it is going. I think the train idea is great, I would like to do an Amtrak trip to Washington D.C. Maybe one day...:)

Yay!!! It sounds like you are making good progress. I am looking forward to checking in on you to see how it is going. I think the train idea is great, I would like to do an Amtrak trip to Washington D.C. Maybe one day...:)

So what else should I be thinking about, Joy? I plan to begin pressing the kids (DS-13, and DDs11 & 7) and DH for their "MUST DO" rides, attractions in late July. I've given the kids the Birnbaum's Kids' Guide, and the Unofficial Kids Guide with post it flags, but right now they're flagging EVERYTHING!! :rotfl2:

Good time of year to go!
My DD6 is really into the Hidden Mickeys. They're fun when you find them in a ride or something you're already doing, but to go searching really takes away from the day if you're trying to get a lot in. She's been reading up so she knows where to look as we walk by, your kids may want to read up on those ahead of time too.

Good luck with all the fun planning!

Here are the basics so far -
Our family of 5 (DH, Me, DS-14, DD-11, and DD-8) is embarking on this exciting adventure together! DH and I spent our honeymoon at Disney in December 1992. Prior to that, I had been to WDW as a child (back in 1975) and then to DL (in 1978 and again in summer 1991). We are staying at POR and are getting Park Hopper passes and the basic DDP.

We depart Alexandria, VA around 3pm Sunday, 8/22 and arrive in Orlando around 1030am Monday 8/23. We get dinner on the train, and pastries in the morning. I am packing a soft cooler with yogurt, and fruit.

We will have to take a cab to POR and anticipate arriving there around 1130. HOWEVER, a friend may be in town - visiting Sea World and Busch Gardens (they have season passes) and may pick us up at the train...

We check in and plan to just relax for the day. We have ADR at the Whispering Canyon Cafe at 5pm. Maybe we'll hit the pool first, maybe we'll go to DTD?

TUESDAY: 730 breakfast ADR at Chef Mickey's plan to do MK in the morning, take a break and hit Epcot (Future World) in the afternoon/evening

WEDNESDAY: back to Epcot (World Showcase) for the morning, take a break and do MGM in the afternoon/evening, with 7:35pm ADR at the 50's Diner.

THURSDAY: taking a day "off" from WDW and heading to Universal Islands of Adventure - specifically aiming to see the new Harry Potter stuff. Universal has free transportation for us. :cool1:
645pm dinner ADR at Ohanas.

FRIDAY: back to MGM for the morning at 11am SciFi Dine In early lunch ADR.
Afternoon break and back to MK. 755pm late dinner at Crystal Palace ADR.

SATURDAY: Have left this day open and unplanned. We will not have visited AK at all this week and might go today or see what the kids want to re-visit and split up (DH with one or 2 and me with the other(s). I've heard lovely things about AK, but would rather feel like we got what we wanted out of the other parks and know that we can come back another time and attack AK first! :)

SUNDAY: our train leaves Orlando at about 11:30am....

Thoughts??

I (finally) purchased the Passporter Travel Guide, after walking past it in Borders every 3 days for the last month....

I am a compulsive scrapbooker and memorabilia saver, so I'm completely excited about the little pockets in the back!

It is 4 months and 4 days until our Trip of A Lifetime and we can't wait!

We're under 45 days! :cool1: I made our last payment on July 9 and now we are free and clear and READY FOR DISNEY!!
Now I am driving my DH nuts chatting him up about everything from the ADRs to the fireworks schedule...

Now to stay sane until we hop on the Silver Star (Amtrak) on August 22!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Reservations made :banana:, deposit in :cool1:, all but one ADR is done :cool2:, and I'm busying myself with a planning/packing list (cut and pasted from here), and thoughts on how to best "attack" the parks with the most FUN possible. I have a spreadsheet formulating with the ADRs, park hours, parade locations and times (though I know we won't hit them all, at least I have the info).
The best piece of advice I've seen (and am constantly reminding myself of) is to SLOW DOWN and enjoy the moments. I really want to make sure this is a vacation the kids remember fondly.

We are traveling from Virginia and are taking the train (Amtrak). When I was 7 we did that same trip to Disney with my family, and it is still one of my fondest childhood memories. Since DH HATES to fly, and we really don't want to drive, the train is perfect for us. Not to mention the great price.
I'm still on the lookout for great tips, so keep them coming!!

SEE BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS ON OUR TRIP!![/QU

We are taking Amtrak too, from NY, I am fearful of flying & hubby refuses to drive, as I don't, so we are taking the train, Aug 21-28.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter