To DVC or Not? (Rental)

We tour the same way you do. We always come "home" for an afternoon break and then head on back to the parks for the fireworks and maybe some FPs. We stay at AKV every year and the buses are fine. Yes, it's a little bit out of the way for the MK but not a whole lot. Rideshares (uber/lyft) won't help a lot in the MK case because you have to go all the way to the parking lot to catch them. IIRC, the Minnie Vans pick up at the MK bus stop.

If I were you, I would do an AK/Boardwalk area split stay. Do your AK section (6-7 days) with your park tickets and "free dining" first and then follow up with 3-4 days at a Boardwalk area resort. November is Food & Wine so it would be great if you could walk over for it. I would recommend that you save some of your dining/snack credits for the day you transfer because they expire at midnight on your check-out day and you'll be able to use them at Epcot. the *only* thing you should be aware of is that DVC villas are often not available until after 4 pm. If you do a split stay you may want to put an early check-in request in your record (or ask the DVC member to do it) because of your medical condition. Otherwise, there is a chance that you will be "homeless" in the late afternoon no matter where you stay.

Know that you can find glowing reviews and horrible reviews for every single resort and restaurant on Disney property.

ETA: I just reread that you want to do a lot in the MK area. If you don't have any specific F&W plans, I would suggest a studio at the Polynesian instead. Since you are thinking of November, I would make your plans to rent points sooner rather than later. Polynesian owners can book villas starting at 11 months in advance and DVC studios go fast in October and November.

That’s so helpful, thank you. So you think staying at AKL for the duration would be doable?

I think the main cause of the indecision at this point is the potential hassle of DVC. Not the resort hopping, per se, but the not having control over our booking, not knowing until the 11 months, the possibility they could cancel on us etc.

With AKL, we can book ourselves, having the dining plan - boom, done!

Partly, I figure if we love our holiday so much we go back then we can try DVC then. And if we don’t? We had a cheaper time.

We tour the same way you do. We always come "home" for an afternoon break and then head on back to the parks for the fireworks and maybe some FPs. We stay at AKV every year and the buses are fine. Yes, it's a little bit out of the way for the MK but not a whole lot. Rideshares (uber/lyft) won't help a lot in the MK case because you have to go all the way to the parking lot to catch them. IIRC, the Minnie Vans pick up at the MK bus stop.

If I were you, I would do an AK/Boardwalk area split stay. Do your AK section (6-7 days) with your park tickets and "free dining" first and then follow up with 3-4 days at a Boardwalk area resort. November is Food & Wine so it would be great if you could walk over for it. I would recommend that you save some of your dining/snack credits for the day you transfer because they expire at midnight on your check-out day and you'll be able to use them at Epcot. the *only* thing you should be aware of is that DVC villas are often not available until after 4 pm. If you do a split stay you may want to put an early check-in request in your record (or ask the DVC member to do it) because of your medical condition. Otherwise, there is a chance that you will be "homeless" in the late afternoon no matter where you stay.

Know that you can find glowing reviews and horrible reviews for every single resort and restaurant on Disney property.

ETA: I just reread that you want to do a lot in the MK area. If you don't have any specific F&W plans, I would suggest a studio at the Polynesian instead. Since you are thinking of November, I would make your plans to rent points sooner rather than later. Polynesian owners can book villas starting at 11 months in advance and DVC studios go fast in October and November.

DVC isn't always guaranteed and you want to book three resorts in November. Depending on what time in November an Epcot resort can be very hard to get.

I would book straight through Disney with FD and try to do two resorts. If not I would do the whole stay at AKL.

having rented points a couple of times, i haven't felt "out of control" of my reservation. you just have to be 100% certain of your dates once you book, because any changes to the dates would require cancelling and rebooking- leading to unnecessary fees, that you wouldn't incur booking direct through Disney.
By breaking it into smaller stays, you may have a better chance of getting what you want, because you won't need a very large sum of points to book the whole reservation. You can rent fewer points per reservation from multiple people. We also pay the points insurance - allowing you to cancel for any reason for a refund (the percentage of the refund decreases as you get closer to your trip). we've had to cancel a trip before within 30 days, so i feel safer having that. you do rely on the person that owns the points to book your magical express, and maybe dining plan... if you go through a DVC broker website, there's a contract in place to ensure everyone does their part, before money exchanges between the broker.... unsure how they could really cancel on you, but i guess it's a risk if you rent from a member directly. you're also in control of your ADRs and FP.

DVC isn't always guaranteed and you want to book three resorts in November. Depending on what time in November an Epcot resort can be very hard to get.

I think this is probably the main point that needs to be considered.
There have been plenty of past posts mentioning how DVC Rental is getting harder and harder as the option becomes more well known.
I’ve been pretty lucky with my bookings (using brokers), but I’ve also gone in with multiple options, knowing I’ll still be happy even if I don’t get my first choice. (In fact, the only time I’ve got my very first choice was when I requested AKL, because it’s a big resort and easier to get).

I can’t believe I’m saying this, as I usually promote split stays, but I think you should book AKL for the whole stay. The deals you get there in the UK are always so good, and if I’m reading right, it looks like you also get free memory maker and a Disney gift card. I’m a cautious person, so wouldn’t want to risk passing up a good deal on something that is not guaranteed.

November and booking a monorail or Epcot resort will be tough by renting points especially if you are looking for a studio. By seven months, lots if resorts are already booked up.

When stayed at AKV, the bus to Epcot took around 13 minutes. DHS should be less. MK might take longer, but you are close to AK.

That’s so helpful, thank you. So you think staying at AKL for the duration would be doable?

I think the main cause of the indecision at this point is the potential hassle of DVC. Not the resort hopping, per se, but the not having control over our booking, not knowing until the 11 months, the possibility they could cancel on us etc.

With AKL, we can book ourselves, having the dining plan - boom, done!

Partly, I figure if we love our holiday so much we go back then we can try DVC then. And if we don’t? We had a cheaper time.
Oh yes, you can stay the whole time at AKL. We are DVC members there because we love the resort. I would spring for a savanna view if you are going to be there so long so you'll have the animals outside your balcony.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!