To Go or Cancel due to Zika

tigger130

Earning My Ears
I am 8 weeks pregnant and I was wondering if I should cancel my trip to Disney at the end of October due to Zika. I book this trip back in May 2017 when I was not pregnant. My son is 2 1/2 and it would be our last trip as the three of us. I have been telling him we are going to visit Mickey and he gets very excited. He tells me he want to ride the monorail. Thing that is special to me is that the last time I went to Disney was in 2014 when I was pregnant with my son.

When we first get to Orlando we are going to be staying in Kissimmee FL for a family reunion for the first three days. Then we are going to be checking into the Contemporary for 4 nights.

I am a little nervous about Zika. I know I have to wear bug spray and all the good stuff. I still need to ask my OBGYN to see what she says. So the question that is weighing on my husband and I, do we go or do we cancel due to Zika.

I don't know what the updated risks look like. (it's been a while since I did my research and is the risk higher or lower, I don't know) But, essentially, it's your call.
a) if you use the right kind of bug spray (and use it on all of your group, otherwise you open yourself to secondary risk) it does minimise the risk to a very, very tiny one
b) Your OBGYN will have a more informed opinion
c) You can't put it right after the fact.

We are going to WDW in slightly different circumstances, although with elevated risk factors, and have decided that the repellent will be sufficient for us, because we won't have another chance to make the trip. And because, the risks are different. I am not sure how I would decide if I had to consider the future life of my child BUT that said, every holiday decision affects the future life of my child, and risks exist all the time. I guess you have to collect the best information you can, and decide how worried you are and would be making the trip?

Zika has been a non factor this year. There's been something like 30 non travel cases of it here. There are over 20 million people in Florida. The odds are in your favor
Ah, you see? The risk has already reduced hugely, so, that is a big factor to consider

I went back in October with intentions of wanting to get pregnant either on the trip or after. I stocked up on bug spray, plus the resorts still provide a free bottle. To be honest, we didn't need it. No bug bites the entire week. I'm now 37 weeks along with a healthy baby boy.

Do talk to your OB about it, though. And check the CDC website for updates pertaining to recent outbreaks, etc. But like PP said, it's been fairly quiet on the Zika front so far. It doesn't hurt to be prepared!

We were just down at the house of mouse this spring and didn't really see mosquito's at all. I live in FL and we haven't had many warnings or anything this year for zika.

Since the Zika threat began, there have been 0 cases in the Orlando area which have been tracked to local transmission of the disease. All locally contracted cases of Zika in Florida have been in South Florida (Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami area). Almost all of which have been in Miami-Dade County.

My very pregnant fried traveled with us last October and again in November. She was six and seven months' pregnant at the time. No worries, and no problems. She had bug spray but didn't need it -- mosquitos weren't an issue. Her little boy is healthy and happy, and we're already planning his first trip (outside the womb) to Disney.

I am currently 16 weeks pregnant. We were discussing travel plans with my OB when I was about 10 weeks along. We had already been to Disney early in the year but the only two warnings he gave me about places to NOT visit was the Miami area and South Texas. The decision is ultimately yours to make and I would definitely talk with my OB.

I live in South Florida and am 6 months pregnant. Zika is a non-issue for the state this year. There have only been travel cases reported and only in the Miami area. The CDC has lifted restrictions and transmission zones.

You are fine.

It's a risk that you need to consider. POFQ provided spray and wipes when we were there in June. None of use used them and no one had a misquito bite.

We went last year in September right when the news was starting to get crazy about Zika and finding it in southern Florida. My wife was 7 months pregnant and we took all the precautions we could (mostly it was putting on bug spray and she decided to keep sleeves and pants on for the most part even though it was really hot .. and hey, it holds the sweat and keeps you cool!). That being said, we barely saw a bug mostly like we had read about previously here on the DISboards. Also, WDW does lots and lots of work to keep mosquito population down even before the Zika virus.

But definitely talk to someone that will give you an informed clinical opinion. You don't want to go based on a bunch of people that don't have to have your baby for you. :)

Disney does a great job of controlling mosquitoes. In all my Disney trips, I only got mosquito bites once, at one of the value resorts. Never in the parks.

Definitely talk to your Doctor so you can see their reaction.

I detest bug bites of all kinds, so whenever I want to be sure of not getting any, I wear permanently pre-treated clothing. You can buy the stuff to treat your own, or you can buy clothes that are sold treated, such as "No fly zone" or "BugsAway." The other advantage of being the clothes manufactured with it in it is that they are built for summer time; they have long sleeves, but the material is excellent to prevent overheating, and many have SPF and are quick drying. They have pants, shirts, jogging pants, etc...

Way more likely to get struck by lightning from the way lightning has been lately.

Only place I've heard about Zika since last year is on this forum. It's talked about now as much as zombie outbreaks.

Go have fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts