To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Not a big fan of biking or swimming (but to be fair neither was I of running when I started).[/QUOTE

I will also second the not fan of swimming. I have never been a swimmer. I try occasionally but like running I also do it in intervals, like swim 25 hold wall catch breath for 10min, then swim 25 back hold wall catch breath. My kids started little so they are just conditioned to cruise through 2hr practices, but still amazes me. I'll take 2hrs of running over swim any day.

I love that you have done those photos of G since the beginning, thanks for sharing so cute. I'm with her on the 3rd likes. Minions and chicken nuggets are the best.

Well as much as I love catching up on your thread I hate to see that you have a fracture. Glad you know what it is but I know how much you love running.
Heal up quickly - like T paced quickly!!

A bummer, but at least an answer. I do love running, but I've been surprisingly at peace with this. Probably because it's so far out from Chicago. And because the reason I love running is continuing to push myself and getting better. This rest is part of getting better in the long term picture.

I have to know who the artist and the baker is in your family!!!???!!!

Steph and I tag teamed both items. I made the design on the computer and then she does the tracing and transferring. My coworker is the baker extraordinaire. She gave us the recipe and we followed it. Then we tried to copy the moon design from a pintrest post.

The chalkboard birthday photos are amazing!

Thanks!

Nice to see how well you've done at indoctrinating G into both Disney and running from the start :).

Steph's favorite thing and my favorite thing combined!

I'm sorry about the stress fracture, but very glad that you were able to pinpoint a specific issue and can now move on to recovery.

Thanks!

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but add me to the list of people sending healing thoughts your way.

Thanks!

Ugh Billy, so sorry to hear about the fracture! But glad they figured it out and you can start the healing/recovery process. The time will be gone before you know it and you will be back out there crushing it!

Thanks! Here's hoping! Got to get ready for our Chicago Marathon goal crushing adventure!

Absolutely!! Pain and struggle are just messages for the body to adapt. I’m assuming you probably already analyzing the cause, and of course once you find it I know you’ll fix it. It’s all a part of our journey, and it will mold us into better runners as long as we embrace it as an oppertunity! Also, I love the gym idea, I feel like my strength training regimen has really improved my running in so many ways. Maybe your DR will prescribe PT too, just because you can’t run doesn’t mean you can’t still build your body for Chicago :-)

Mannnnn I hate to hear that it is a stress fracture, but glad you got an answer! I know you'll be back to it shortly and will dominate Chicago!

Houston, we have a 4 year old!

View attachment 301835

View attachment 301836

View attachment 301829

View attachment 301833

View attachment 301834

View attachment 301827

View attachment 301832

View attachment 301831

View attachment 301828

View attachment 301830

One of Gigi's birthday wishes was to write you all a message:

jhhgfgbbmn,,,,,.llpp[[[[-0oiiiiiiaaawwweeerrtttyuggg

gigi

:bday::flower1::fish:pirate::yoda:

Happy belated birthday to Gigi. I had to laugh at her height and weight. My 20 month old is about 33lbs and 36 inches. He's such a giant.

Ugh Billy, so sorry to hear about the fracture! But glad they figured it out and you can start the healing/recovery process. The time will be gone before you know it and you will be back out there crushing it!

Thanks! If it does end up being 3 weeks, then it'll be done in short order for sure. Already trying to mentally map out the best strategy for a safe and cautious return to running.

Absolutely!! Pain and struggle are just messages for the body to adapt. I’m assuming you probably already analyzing the cause, and of course once you find it I know you’ll fix it. It’s all a part of our journey, and it will mold us into better runners as long as we embrace it as an oppertunity! Also, I love the gym idea, I feel like my strength training regimen has really improved my running in so many ways. Maybe your DR will prescribe PT too, just because you can’t run doesn’t mean you can’t still build your body for Chicago :-)

I've got a few ideas, but nothing concrete. As you said, I'll spend this time hitting the MBW routine and then once Steph gets home discuss the use of a gym.

Mannnnn I hate to hear that it is a stress fracture, but glad you got an answer! I know you'll be back to it shortly and will dominate Chicago!

Thanks! Chicago won't stand a chance. Thankfully, I still feel very fast. So I know it's there and will just be a matter of time before I can get the pieces back together.

Happy belated birthday to Gigi. I had to laugh at her height and weight. My 20 month old is about 33lbs and 36 inches. He's such a giant.

Thanks! Yea, her height use to be on the taller side but she's been treading shorter these days. Most of the women in my family are around 5'9" to 5'11". Steph's family is split between taller and shorter (like her at 5'6" and aunt at 5'4"). G was trending towards 5'10", but this measurement says 5'4" now. It'll be interesting to see how her Dr visit goes next week. She's always been on the light side (lower 5%ish). Not surprised your son is tall since you're quite tall yourself. Funny that he's already heavier than G (and just barely shorter) and 28 months younger!

Injuries are no fun. Here's a clip from Seinfeld that sums up the sentiment, although not Elaine's feelings.

Echo: hope it heals fast. Love your fitness analysis; will help you manage your next few weeks well.

Amazing bday pics!

Been lurking here without much to say about your injury. I guess it's good that you recognized it and got it checked out before it became more serious and that you should still have plenty of time to get back into shape for Chicago. Hope you heal up quick. It's fun to live vicariously through you while you help us pursue our own goals.

Been lurking here without much to say about your injury. I guess it's good that you recognized it and got it checked out before it became more serious and that you should still have plenty of time to get back into shape for Chicago. Hope you heal up quick. It's fun to live vicariously through you while you help us pursue our own goals.

Thanks! Yea, it was a little thing, but certainly something I could tell was there and wasn't getting better on my own. Certainly could have been something worse if I kept pushing it. 4 weeks could have turned into 16 weeks for all we know. I just mapped out if I'm able to come back on 3/7 after the check-up. I'll have 6.5 weeks of only easy running at slower paces to regain fitness. That leaves me 8 weeks before my June HM, and then 16 weeks before Chicago after that. So still got plenty of time.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!

Thanks!

And that photo progression of G with her chalkboards is SOOOO cute.

:love:

Well the dermatologist was on the same line of thinking as I was for the hand condition. She thought it was an uncommon display of Raynaud's with popping blood vessels in the hands (petechiae). So nothing too nefarious (Hooray!). Likely caused by my personal ability to tolerate the cold when running and not running more than my body can. And even though my hands feel hot and sweaty inside the gloves, they're likely still too cold. Warming up the rest of my body is key as well in preventing occurrences. So definitely things to focus on when I can return to running. She did prescribe me some meds (penta..? something). When I went to get it at the pharmacy the pharmacist assistant was explaining to me that the medication can lower the HR or blood pressure of people taking it. Makes sense since calcium channel blockers are meant for people with hypertension and other high blood pressure issues. Problem is, I've already got a low HR (40s and 50s) and I don't really want to see that drop even more. So I brought that up with the pharmacist and they agreed that the medication prescribed would not be a good idea. Consulted with the dermatologist and prescribed Amlodipine instead (apparently wouldn't lower HR as much). I'm not quite sold on it either. Medications are one of those things that once you start you have to keep taking it. I have to ask myself at this point is it really necessary? I haven't even tried to incorporate better measures in my daily life to avoid cold exposure or quick changes in temps. I only have had maybe 8-10 attacks in the winter, not 5-10 per week like some I read on meds for Raynauds. So I think for me at the moment, I want to see if I can make changes in my life that can help control these situations before I go the medication route. Thankfully at this point it seems I've got all my answers: Low grade stress fracture of the fibula, Raynaud's and petechiae secondary to Raynaud's.

Last edited:
Thanks! Chicago won't stand a chance. Thankfully, I still feel very fast. So I know it's there and will just be a matter of time before I can get the pieces back together.

I don't doubt this one bit! Your are so disciplined. These minor setbacks are just giving your body a brief rest before you ramp up to crush this race in the fall.

Glad to hear that the Raynaud's is the likely culprit with your hands and it is nothing more serious. One of my closest friends has to deal with this too (don't know about popping blood vessels), but he's been a lifelong runner and just has to manage around the elements. It certainly hasn't slowed him down.

I don't doubt this one bit! Your are so disciplined. These minor setbacks are just giving your body a brief rest before you ramp up to crush this race in the fall.

Thanks! The key to the recovery is being patient and having a plan in place. At this point, I'll be taking 6.5 weeks of only easy running building slowly to returning to where I was. This should hopefully stave off any concerns of coming back too quick. If it weren't for the heat in mid-June the 1:25 may still be possible at Hot2Trot. But I'll take whatever my body can give me then and build from there. I'm not giving up on the Chicago BQ dream and still know with the same handwork and determination that's gotten me this far will continue to pay dividends.

Glad to hear that the Raynaud's is the likely culprit with your hands and it is nothing more serious. One of my closest friends has to deal with this too (don't know about popping blood vessels), but he's been a lifelong runner and just has to manage around the elements. It certainly hasn't slowed him down.

Thanks and agreed! I think it'll be a more concerted effort on my part to listen to my body when it comes to the cold. And possibly having a treadmill in the basement when it's sub-zero windchill or actively snowing several inches may slow down my stubbornness to check a box off mentally. I could still run, just inside. And possibly find a different form of enjoyment from that experience as well.

I'm glad you finally have a diagnosis!
I think the idea of making some basic changes to avoid extreme cold is probably a good idea. Hopefully it will work, but if it doesn't ... I wouldn't necessarily write off the idea of medication. Sometimes medication is permanent, but sometimes it isn't - sometimes it can just create a symptom-free (or lower symptom) environment for you to start experimenting with those other changes. Eventually you may get to a point where the environmental and lifestyle changes are enough that you don't need the medication anymore.
I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but ... just wanted to put that out there. Definitely do whatever's most comfortable with you, but know that if you do end up having to take the medication, it may not have to be permanent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter