To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

I am sorry to hear about Lucy. Please let me know if you have questions on her. I am not a vet but Mallory has been in the cart for 4 years and is very happy so I am doing something right. Anyways I may be able to offer suggestions. I know I go a lot farther for my dogs than others might have done, but I am strong and have the means, if they are happy then I will keep doing it.

Finished the 5k race today. I wanted to race but a PR was not important because next week is Darkside and I want to PR there. The point of this race was to make sure my fitness is still good. My overall target this year is marathon distance so a 5k PR was not needed. I did have a goal 24 minutes. I finished in 23:54 (8 seconds off my PR but this race had hills). I also finished 3rd in masters and first in my age group. I really wanted the goal time because that was important to me for a confidence boost. I had not run a 5k since this race last year and last year my time was 26:20 (was coming off an injury) Hubby crushed his PR, ran 23:13, he is gloating now because he beat me. I told him he is allowed because he won’t be able to say that after the half next week .

Now we get to play at the dogwood festival and get ready for Disney. Thanks @DopeyBadger .

Thanks! And I can't wait for you to be able to start training again as well. Unfinished business! :car:

Probably the earliest conceivable would be October ... the race I would want to BQ is in December, so that's a no go. :( I'm inching back to 7:30 miles (just 3 miles at a time since it's during naps) and will go more slowly to 7:00, but soon I will be living in a temporary housing situation while remodeling and there's no room for my treadmill so I have no idea what I'll be doing for runs!

63 Days to Go (Ch..ch...Changes!)

giphy.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

4/9/18 - M - OFF
4/10/18 - T - MCR Stage 1C + 4 miles @ EA (9:11 min/mile) + FTP Builder W5D1
4/11/18 - W - 7 miles @ EB (8:33 min/mile)
4/12/18 - R - 10 miles @ LR (7:25 min/mile) *8/9 intervals hit
4/13/18 - F - 7 miles @ EB (8:33 min/mile)
4/14/18 - Sat - 7 miles @ EB (8:33 min/mile)
4/15/18 - Sun - FTP Builder W5D4

Running duration = 4:46 hours
Running mileage = 35.1 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = 2:03 hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = 41.1 miles
Total (training) duration = 6:50 hours
Total (training) mileage = 76.2 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = 8/9 (89%)

Monday

Nothing to note.

Tuesday

McMillan Core Routine Stage 1C.

Front Plank - 3 x 45 sec w/ 45 sec rest
Side Plank - 3 x 45 sec w/ 45 sec rest
Leg Lowering - 20 reps
Metronome - 15 reps
Sit-up with a Twist - 25 reps
Jane Fonda - 25 reps
I Run Fast - 1 set both legs

Running was 4 miles in 33:25 (8:07 min/mile)

Biking was 20 miles in 1:00:24

Wednesday

Running was 7 miles in 57:21 (8:11 min/mile)

Thursday

Took the day off to meet the developer. Today was finally the day that I would actually try to hit a set pace. Originally this run was scheduled for Saturday. But Friday called for lighting storms, Saturday called for 27 mph sustained wind/rain, and Sunday called for ice/5-8 inch snow. So, it became obvious the only way to get this first paced run was to do it on Thursday. The rest of the weekend was likely to be a hodgepodge.

My new LR pace is a 7:25 min/mile for the upcoming plan (based on a 2:58 marathon). Let's be honest, I had no idea whether this was going to be possible. I've spent the last five weeks running mostly between an 8:00-9:00 min/mile. Now, I needed to test out a 7:25 pace. I decided to add two runs at LR pace leading into the actual training plan to make sure everything was progressing appropriately. Per Daniels, he counts the LR as part of the "easy pacing". So this isn't a violation of his recovery methodology.

So about the run.... Yea, I think I had some pent up energy. First mile was in ~7:30 (GPS wasn't locked in until mid-way through the first mile). Second mile was a great feeling. I could tell I was going too fast. I thought maybe 7:15ish. When I saw the split, 6:55, I knew I was pushing WAY too hard. So I pulled back. I decided I couldn't run by effort and needed to pay attention because I wasn't going to be able to trust myself yet. After that, I got back on track - 7:22, 7:19, 7:23, 7:33. It was not feeling very easy though. Definitely rusty. I decided after mile 7 that instead of the normal 10 mile route (with another 3 mile hill route), I had to stick with 3 miles on the flat route. It was going to be the only way I could maintain pace. From there - 7:23, 7:34, 7:20, and 7:35. That last one was tough to get into range, but I got it there.

The HR was a bit high for a LR. I was at 145 when historical is 138-142. So probably a touch too fast for current fitness. But still below Marathon Tempo HR (148-152). I'm not going to complain though. I survived the first paced run without much of an issue. I hit 8/9 paces in window and an average pace of 7:25 (with goal of 7:25). Yea, I'm on the right path.

Friday

Sore sore sore. That long run took a lot out of me. The run was stiff and sore, so I dialed it back. I also realized mid-run that it's been quite some time since I've run on the day after a long run. So it wasn't at surprising how unprepared I was to run on a post-LR day. Thankfully, I got just enough of a break to get the run in. Never had lightning, but it was still forecasted. In total, 7 miles in 1:01 (8:45 pace) with HR of 133.

Saturday

Was fully expecting a wintry mix + wind when I woke up Saturday. But thankfully was given another break in the weather. The 27mph+ sustained wind was present, but I can deal with that. I just took it nice and easy. Just thankful to run. In total, 7 miles in 59:55 (8:33 min/mile) with HR of 133. I also included strides for the first time since coming back. Felt nice to run really fast. Still sore from Thursday, but made it through it.

Steph was stripping the bath tub paint job the previous owners put it. It's been botched for years, but Steph was finally motivated to tackle the job because of getting ready to sell. Well, despite my insistence she did not wear eye wear protection. She flicked some paint stripper/paint residue in her eye. It hurt some. She was really nervous so we headed to the ER. Thankfully all was good. Lesson learned. Wear eye protection when working with dangerous chemicals.

Sunday

The weather finally turned to treacherous here. I was not going to be able to get in the run portion of the double day. The ice/snow made that impossible. So off to the bike I went. In total, 21 miles in 1:03.

Probably the earliest conceivable would be October ... the race I would want to BQ is in December, so that's a no go. :( I'm inching back to 7:30 miles (just 3 miles at a time since it's during naps) and will go more slowly to 7:00, but soon I will be living in a temporary housing situation while remodeling and there's no room for my treadmill so I have no idea what I'll be doing for runs!

That'll be tough. How long is the remodel can last for that you'll be without the treadmill?

Another weekend wraps up!

Plan #164
Name: Zellyb
Race/Distance: Rock the Parkway Half Marathon
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 12 weeks
Continuous or Run/Walk: Run/Walk primarily but with a once a week portion at continuous
Days per Week: 5
# of Hard Days (per week): 2 (including long run)
Peak Week Duration: 5:53
Peak Week Mileage: 30 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 1:50
Peak Single Run Mileage: 10 miles
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): 2:12:07 October, 2017
Expectations Going into it: Hoping for a new PR (stretch goal to get below 2:10). Actual completion time 2:12:34.
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: Not as closely as I wanted. I ended up with a groin strain during the training and had to miss or curtail several runs. LIFE was also a bit of a challenge that hurt us some. Looking at my spreadsheet we missed 13 individual training runs and many of those were late in the training cycle after the injury.
Testimonial: I've been running for 5 1/2 years now following basic Galloway training plans and doing run/walk. We decided to give one of Billy's plans a try in our run up to the Chicago Marathon in October and my ultimate goal of getting a sub-5:00 marathon time. We committed to going to a 5-day per week running schedule where we'd previously do 4 days per week max. It was a big adjustment learning to run more slowly as our previous runs were nearly always at or near race pace. It was certainly hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of running most runs so much slower and then being able to break out much faster speeds on race day, but I'd read so many great success stories here and read Billy's intensive research process, so we had faith and took the leap. While we missed a PR on this course by 27 seconds, I count it a victory. Our PR race was on a much flatter course than this one and those conditions were ideal. This race, aside from being much more hilly, had 15 MPH sustained winds and gusts up to almost 25 mph - we even got sleeted on during this race. The last 4 miles were straight into a headwind with some significant uphills to manage. After dealing with the initial disappointment of missing a new PR, I recognized that the same training and effort on the PR course and the PR conditions would have absolutely resulted in a new PR. So, sometimes you must just accept those things that are outside your control and do your best. I feel like I was absolutely well-prepared for this race even though we'd not done any single long runs over 10 miles (we'd gone up to 16 or 18 mile long training runs before our last PR) and most at a much slower pace. I felt strong throughout this race and was comfortably able to follow Billy's race strategy. The difference was those last couple of miles with hills and headwind that made the difference. We're already looking for the next possible race to test out our conditioning, but we are excited to see where the next training cycle leads us.

Just catching up on some journals, and saw your posts about accepting payment as a coach/trainer. Exciting stuff! I want to echo others on here and say I appreciate very much what you've done for the running community, not just with your training plans and advice, but also with your encouragement and support of so many others. I've very much enjoyed your posts on training, nutrition, pacing, and all the other run-geek topics. Your level of knowledge and analysis is impressive! That scientist background really shows through. I think it's absolutely fair of you to receive compensation for the services you provide - after all, you provide a quality service that takes time and effort to create, and any money you receive is certainly well-earned. That being said . . . (there's always a but :))

My day job is as an administrative law attorney for the feds, and the idea of taking your coaching from hobby to quasi-business caused all the lawyer alarms to go off in my head. :scared: Not that your idea is a bad idea, because it's not, but it possibly means a higher level of complexity - things like taxes, insurance, business licenses and the like, none of which you really had to consider when coaching was just a side hobby. I say this not to discourage you at all, but just to help out a little by pointing out some future speed bumps you might want to keep in mind. I wish you the best and I'd love to see Blaser Coaching Services become a huge success! If you ever have any legal-type questions, I'd be happy to help - just PM me. Good luck!

I was just talking to my wife about this exact topic this morning. Another reason I've avoided it. I've been doing my best to read up on starting a small business, but it definitely makes my head spin as it is out of my realm of specialty. I'm hoping to sit down and really dig into the literature soon to make sure I'm doing everything on the up and up. I'll be sure to use you as a resource in the future and I greatly appreciate the offer.

things like taxes, insurance, business licenses
This is why I closed my business this year. Owning a business, legally, was a headache. I ended up coming out of a 5 year business without actually making money. I loved what I did and I was really good at what I did, but I was terrible at running a business.

Before I did what I do now, I was an accountant and business manager. @BikeFan brings up some good points, but it is doable. Do you guys work with an accountant for your taxes? He/she might be a helpful place to start and might also have a good set of contacts for lawyers, insurance brokers, etc. One thing that I thought of when you initially wrote about this is that you'll want to carry good liability insurance. I would hate for someone (not a DIS'er, obviously, we're good folks) to try to hold you accountable for any injuries they sustain during training. Your service agreement should probably have a liability clause in it, too.

This is why I closed my business this year. Owning a business, legally, was a headache. I ended up coming out of a 5 year business without actually making money. I loved what I did and I was really good at what I did, but I was terrible at running a business.

Before I did what I do now, I was an accountant and business manager. @BikeFan brings up some good points, but it is doable. Do you guys work with an accountant for your taxes? He/she might be a helpful place to start and might also have a good set of contacts for lawyers, insurance brokers, etc. One thing that I thought of when you initially wrote about this is that you'll want to carry good liability insurance. I would hate for someone (not a DIS'er, obviously, we're good folks) to try to hold you accountable for any injuries they sustain during training. Your service agreement should probably have a liability clause in it, too.

No accountant. Our taxes have always been simple enough for me to file on my own. We knew this year was going to be more complicated with the sale of our house and building a new one. So we were already planning on talking to an accountant for the next year's taxes. We have a Small Business Development Center nearby on campus that offers free consultations. Maybe I should talk with them.

No accountant. Our taxes have always been simple enough for me to file on my own. We knew this year was going to be more complicated with the sale of our house and building a new one. So we were already planning on talking to an accountant for the next year's taxes. We have a Small Business Development Center nearby on campus that offers free consultations. Maybe I should talk with them.

I think that would be a really good place to start. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have swimming around in your head, too. I may not be able to answer all of them, but I'm happy to try to help.

Yikes, this is all getting complicated! What if you kept things super simple to start, by setting up a GoFundMe, where people that appreciate your help could make a contribution? Then you could just report the total amount as other income in your taxes at year end. I'm thinking this would be a baby step toward establishing a full business. Your DIS clientele is snowballing so quickly that it might be quite a while before you feel the need to expand outside of here anyway.

That's a really good idea. It's not just that you're dealing with all sorts of issues, but also all sorts of issues on three jurisdictional levels (federal, state, and local). There are a lot of potential hoops through which you'll need to jump. Don't be TOO discouraged, though. People with good expertise can guide you through.

I echo what others have said. My sister in law started a business similar to paint night but with calligraphy classes. At first she just set up a website and sold tickets and partnered with local businesses for venue space. Then their lawyer was like you really need to get organized as you will get audited. So it was a bit of a process and they are still working on it, but she is doing really well so it can be done.

Deep breaths. I can do this. I'll talk to the professionals and see what they say.

100% you can do this. Just important to take a measured approach. I've seen several business plans that took a more hackneyed approach to begin with, and it takes a lot of work to get things cleaned up. I always advocate for doing things "right" the first time and setting up good systems. Then you can concentrate on building your business instead of administering it.

I was just talking to my wife about this exact topic this morning. Another reason I've avoided it. I've been doing my best to read up on starting a small business, but it definitely makes my head spin as it is out of my realm of specialty. I'm hoping to sit down and really dig into the literature soon to make sure I'm doing everything on the up and up. I'll be sure to use you as a resource in the future and I greatly appreciate the offer.

Haha insurance is my specialty, if you ever need advice on commercial insurance options let me know! You’d probably fall under a consutlant more than a trainer/coach. Especially since everything you do is virtual. Insurance for this venture should be affordable, and our lawyer friends should be able to help you set up the proper LLC to make sure your personally assets aren’t on the hook. I also agree you’ll probably need some type of disclaimer or waiver going forward though.

BIG NEWS!!!!

G got the job!!!!!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Also, one of the realtors that we didn't hire called and they've already got an interested buyer. We don't even go on the market until next Tuesday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter