To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

It's an interesting talk, but perhaps not for the reasons they intended. (I'll try to be brief here, because I could go on for a while.) The guest seemed overly concerned with the imperial research claims, but didn't take into consideration how the product came about. SOMETHING is going on with this cooked corn starch that allowed kids to sleep through the night whereas regular corn starch was only lasting half as long. There's no study for that, so it's not discussed, but it's a significant discovery.
If the question is to the difference between absorbance of cooked vs. not-cooked corn starch, they would be very different. Corn starch has hydroxyl groups that will cross-link in the presence of (some, not too much) heat, or in a moderately acidic or basic environment. That would change the pore volume and likely the pore size distribution. These two properties are tweaked with all sorts of fancy gels (and aerogels and xerogels) for absorbing all sorts of liquids and ions. The change in surface termination would also change the hydrophobic/hydrophillic properties. Inorganic gels are more my game, not something suitable for human ingestion, but I would imagine the increased network structure would also make the stuff harder to digest. I think the last part would be why I would expect them to work differently for different populations. Again, I do not deal with biological systems, but this would be a similar problem to there being a portion of the population who cannot properly digest gluten. I find the idea of this product fascinating for both the children and for athletes. {dork side rant that may not be relevant is over and can be deleted if deemed necessary}

Love the house, did you tell G the dirt pile will not be a permanent fixture? Because that would be fun!

If the question is to the difference between absorbance of cooked vs. not-cooked corn starch, they would be very different. Corn starch has hydroxyl groups that will cross-link in the presence of (some, not too much) heat, or in a moderately acidic or basic environment. That would change the pore volume and likely the pore size distribution. These two properties are tweaked with all sorts of fancy gels (and aerogels and xerogels) for absorbing all sorts of liquids and ions. The change in surface termination would also change the hydrophobic/hydrophillic properties. Inorganic gels are more my game, not something suitable for human ingestion, but I would imagine the increased network structure would also make the stuff harder to digest. I think the last part would be why I would expect them to work differently for different populations. Again, I do not deal with biological systems, but this would be a similar problem to there being a portion of the population who cannot properly digest gluten. I find the idea of this product fascinating for both the children and for athletes. {dork side rant that may not be relevant is over and can be deleted if deemed necessary}

I welcome dork side rants and deem them always necessary.

Love the house, did you tell G the dirt pile will not be a permanent fixture? Because that would be fun!

Well she did think she was going to be living in a hole... But our backyard will be a bit of a hill, so definitely good for sledding.

And hill repeats?
(coming from someone who experiences most of her elevation gains while going from the street up to the sidewalk)

The streets definitely are built on old glacier movements. So, lots and lots of hills. Looks like my new "big" climb is 67 feet in 0.4 miles. I'll do that hill back to the house every 3 miles roughly. Lots of other smaller hills along the route as well. Although I won't get back to the old route until after Chicago is done.

Well I just hope we are both ready for the brutal elevation changes of Chicago. I mean look at these images! That final huge mountain to overcome at mile 26 will be a killer :)

59fec974a7ef029ecc126b8b20836efe.jpg

Course-elevation-profiles-for-Boston-BOS-London-LON-Berlin-BER-Chicago-CHI-and.png

PS I will likely eat my words come mile 26!

Well I just hope we are both ready for the brutal elevation changes of Chicago. I mean look at these images! That final huge mountain to overcome at mile 26 will be a killer :)

59fec974a7ef029ecc126b8b20836efe.jpg

Course-elevation-profiles-for-Boston-BOS-London-LON-Berlin-BER-Chicago-CHI-and.png

PS I will likely eat my words come mile 26!

LOL, so what you're saying is my walk to the starting point of my training runs has more elevation than Chicago (i.e. the moment I start running in a training run I've already done more hills than Chicago in total...)

If the #DISChicago2018 team really hates that flat course, I see that NYC has some hills, and I hear that 2019 is the year to do it...

We'll see how the injury progresses and how the time comes out in Chicago. If I somehow pull off a BQ at Chicago or in the spring, then NYC is highly unlikely in Fall 2019 (because Boston April 2020). It's on the radar and I know Steph wants to go back to NYC though.

TOTALLY the year to do it.

::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter