To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

How's the injury doing?

11/4/20 - Injury occurred
11/5/20 - Put ankle in brace because of significant limp and pain. Could ride bike, but only if I kept my foot at a very specific angle. Also, had to be at an endurance level wattage.
11/9/20 - Could walk without the ankle brace, but still noticeable limp.
11/10/20 - Could bike mostly normally.
11/11/20 - Walking was mostly normal. Took 3 days off from work because of the new Xbox, so minimal movement in general.
11/13/20 - Felt good enough to try and run again. Stretching was good. Legs felt really fresh and gave good signs towards maintenance of fitness. Started the run. Ended the run in about 5-10 seconds. The ankle was noticeably painful and did not feel good at all.
11/14/20 - Ankle was sore, but no limp. Could tell I attempted to run the day before.
11/19/20 - Did a McMillan Legs routine. Mostly good. Little to no pain during the routine. Afterwards, ankle was a little sore, but manageable.

I plan to try and run tomorrow (11/25/20) after 3 weeks off. I'm hopeful, but am trying to stay patient. I'll continue to evaluate the path forward based on knowing that I can choose to run a time trial whenever I want. So no pressure to get out to run sooner. The Xbox came at a good time, because G and I have been spending a lot of time reading (in order for her to earn Xbox time) and playing.

11/4/20 - Injury occurred
11/5/20 - Put ankle in brace because of significant limp and pain. Could ride bike, but only if I kept my foot at a very specific angle. Also, had to be at an endurance level wattage.
11/9/20 - Could walk without the ankle brace, but still noticeable limp.
11/10/20 - Could bike mostly normally.
11/11/20 - Walking was mostly normal. Took 3 days off from work because of the new Xbox, so minimal movement in general.
11/13/20 - Felt good enough to try and run again. Stretching was good. Legs felt really fresh and gave good signs towards maintenance of fitness. Started the run. Ended the run in about 5-10 seconds. The ankle was noticeably painful and did not feel good at all.
11/14/20 - Ankle was sore, but no limp. Could tell I attempted to run the day before.
11/19/20 - Did a McMillan Legs routine. Mostly good. Little to no pain during the routine. Afterwards, ankle was a little sore, but manageable.

I plan to try and run tomorrow (11/25/20) after 3 weeks off. I'm hopeful, but am trying to stay patient. I'll continue to evaluate the path forward based on knowing that I can choose to run a time trial whenever I want. So no pressure to get out to run sooner. The Xbox came at a good time, because G and I have been spending a lot of time reading (in order for her to earn Xbox time) and playing.
Sorry to see you've had to endure this. I know how frustrated I get at injuries, so I can only imagine how impactful it is on your day-to-day life. Hopefully your run tomorrow goes well!

Sorry to see you've had to endure this. I know how frustrated I get at injuries, so I can only imagine how impactful it is on your day-to-day life. Hopefully your run tomorrow goes well!

Certainly frustrating and certainly spending a lot of time second guessing/wondering where I went wrong. But I do look back at this training cycle and find it to be mostly successful. Eventually I'll do a full recap when I feel the training cycle is truly over. But the fitness was increasing, I was exercising less, and most important of all I was feeling good and having fun doing it.

Sorry to hear about the ankle. Have you spoken to your PT about any additional exercises?

Thanks. I didn't. I never actually considered calling them and getting an appointment for it. In the moment, it was clear I needed to stop all activity no matter what additional advice they gave. I was hopeful an immediate shutdown would allow a sooner return, but unfortunately it lingered longer than I had hoped. If it does continue to linger upon trying to return to running (more like the nagging hamstring issues I had over the summer where I could run but could also tell things were not all good), then I'll be sure to go in again.

Summer/Fall 2020 Training Plan in Review and Plans for the 2021 Milwaukee Marathon

Well after 3 weeks of no running and 1 week of minimal running, I think it's time to call an end to the Summer/Fall 2020 training plan. But I think it's important to look back at the purpose of the training plan and see if I can learn anything for moving forward. Here was a recap of the original intent of the plan:

What's next? Summer/Fall 2020 Training Plan

The goal was to perform a proof of concept plan. See if I could manipulate the data in such a manner that I could minimize the amount of training compared to Disney 2020 and yet reach a high level of fitness. The review of data suggested that if I followed these key points I may be able to do it:

A) Keep the running form value above 0 for the "easy" and "cycling" phases of the training.
B) Keep the running form value below 0 once the "run" phase of the training begins.
C) Keep the sub-0 run phase to 11-13 weeks maximally.
D) Make sure that the transition from "cycling" phase to "run" phase is not too harsh/sudden potentially causing an injury. So the first 10 weeks range from 15-27 miles (whereas the Spring 2020 training was mostly in the 30-35 range), and then the last 11 weeks is in the 27-47 mile range. Only in essence an increase of about 11-12 miles from where the Spring 2020 training was. The one place I'm most willing to cut mileage from if necessary is the long run days.

and something that was stated elsewhere in the plan overview:

Lastly, in a different review in the data set we saw that in order for me to reach these higher Garmin VO2max values, my run training volume had to be in the 7.5-9hr range. I don't think I can manage that type of run volume, so I'll continue to use cycling and strength training as a supplement. Based on previous number crunching, good cycling is worth about 1/2 the run time. So if I max out around 6.5 hr running, then I'd need something like 5-6 hrs of cycling as a supplement. That would give me something like 9-9.5 hrs running equivalent.

So let's go back and see whether I was successful on these points.

A) Keep the running form value above 0 for the "easy" and "cycling" phases of the training. - NOT SUCCESSFUL

So the plan was originally written such that the time trial would occur on 11/8/20. I wanted the cycle-phase of training to be from 6/15/20 to 8/2/20. After 8/2, the run focused cycle would begin. It would last 13 weeks with the 14th week being race week. But on July 18th I had to pull the plug on training because the upper hamstring injury that had been plaguing me since May was still causing problems. So that pushed the training plan a bit in order to maintain the 13ish weeks of sub-0 training prior to the race. The new race date would be 11/22/20 instead. So the new beginning of the run cycle was to be 8/31/20. The problem is the training load didn't drop low enough to allow this extension. So my sub-0 days started on 8/9 (as was originally planned) instead of 8/31. So the 13 week clock started ticking sooner and I didn't adjust.

B) Keep the running form value below 0 once the "run" phase of the training begins. - SUCCESSFUL

Starting 8/9 through 11/4 (date of ankle injury) the training load form was kept sub-0. So a total of 88 days or 12.5 weeks. While I don't know exactly what caused the ankle issue, it could very well have been overtraining. And I had previously set a limit of 11-13 weeks of sub-0 training based on the previous data. So I was on the upper end of that window with another 2.5 weeks to go before the 11/22 time trial. So this may have been an inevitability on the horizon even if it hadn't occurred on 11/4. But the plan from a standpoint of keeping the training sub-0 did work, it just may have been too long.

C) Keep the sub-0 run phase to 11-13 weeks maximally. - Questionable

If the race had occurred on 11/22, then the sub-0 phase would have run for 14-15 weeks. Technically, since the injury occurred on 11/4, it only ran for 12.5 weeks. But if I had stayed healthy until race day, then I would have exceeded my prior limit. The clock started ticking earlier than intended and I didn't adjust well enough.

D) Make sure that the transition from "cycling" phase to "run" phase is not too harsh/sudden potentially causing an injury. So the first 10 weeks range from 15-27 miles (whereas the Spring 2020 training was mostly in the 30-35 range), and then the last 11 weeks is in the 27-47 mile range. Only in essence an increase of about 11-12 miles from where the Spring 2020 training was. The one place I'm most willing to cut mileage from if necessary is the long run days. - SUCCESSFUL

The transition between the cycle phase and run phase was smooth and without issue. I do wonder though whether moving from 4 days per week of running to 5 days per week of running was another factor in the ankle injury. Since Disney 2020 worked fine at 4 days per week, albeit at a higher cycling training load, it might be worth trying to see if I can manage 4 days per week running with a cycling load similar to the Summer/Fall 2020 plan, and still hit those same fitness levels.

Lastly, in a different review in the data set we saw that in order for me to reach these higher Garmin VO2max values, my run training volume had to be in the 7.5-9hr range. I don't think I can manage that type of run volume, so I'll continue to use cycling and strength training as a supplement. Based on previous number crunching, good cycling is worth about 1/2 the run time. So if I max out around 6.5 hr running, then I'd need something like 5-6 hrs of cycling as a supplement. That would give me something like 9-9.5 hrs running equivalent. - SUCCESSFUL

The previous data had suggested that for me to hit my highest running fitness levels, I would need 7.5-9 hrs of running volume. So, I did hit those peak fitness levels (more on that to come) and did so the week of 10/18/20. My peak training weeks from 10/5 and 10/19 which bracket that week were:

10/5 = 5:21 run + 5:15 cycle (/ 2 is 2:37) = 7:48 hrs
10/19 = 5:49 run + 5:15 cycle (/ 2 is 2:37) = 8:26 hrs

So a good personal confirmation that getting into that high level of personal fitness occurs when I can maintain an equal run volume of 7.5-9 hrs.

So the question is, what did I learn from this training plan? What are the good things to carry forward, and what are the things I may want to try and avoid?

I want to avoid allowing my run training load form to dip below 0 too soon. That ticking clock on my ability to stay healthy may be a very real thing. With a limit of 11-13 weeks. In this particular plan, I made it 12.5 weeks. So I want to try and be below that. Maybe something around 10-11 weeks instead. So that means not ramping up for the next goal race too soon. I do better with a shorter ramp up.

I probably also want to try and maintain only 4 days per week of running instead of 5 days. It's certainly not definitive, but could have been an issue this time around. As long as I can get the run volume equivalent over that 7.5 hr mark, then I believe I'll put myself in a high level of fitness position. Maybe not absolute peak, but close enough to stay healthy.

But from a standpoint of the quality of the last training plan, it stayed relatively high throughout. I had one bad cycling workout on 10/14 (an early morning suprathreshold), the 10/11 long run workout where I was just slightly slower on the fast finish portion, and the 11/4 run workout where I couldn't maintain HM Tempo effort. With 203 total activities occurring between 6/15 and 11/4, having only 3 (or 1.5%) "bad" workouts is pretty good. So I think I want to follow a similar pattern of types of cycling/run workouts. With VO2max cycling, thresholds, bricks of HM Tempo and maybe some longer M Tempos.

Now as for the fitness side of it. The fitness undoubtedly increased over the course of the training plan. My Garmin VO2max went from a 49 to 59 over the course of the training plan.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.55.24 AM.png

Additionally, where the fitness ended up was at a personally very high level and near peak.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.56.36 AM.png

In the last 168 weeks, I've only been at or above 59 a total of 7 times (4.2%). So I was in rarefied air and exactly where I would have hoped to be.

Now I did wonder whether the increase in fitness was simply a function of decreasing temperatures. So I tried to tease the variables apart from each other using T+D corrected pacing. I've shown in the past that my responses to T+D correlate well with the calculations I use to adjust pacing based on T+D based on HR measure. So I decided to try and do a HR vs T+D adjusted pace graph with the data separated into 1/2 month blocks. That way if there was a trend over the course of several weeks, this would capture it. I've done this prior when I showed how well the 2017 Spring Daniels 10k training went.

Daniels 10k in 2017 was easier to graph because the T+D was almost always sub-100 during the entire training phase. But the Summer/Fall 2020 training plan covered a wide variety of temps.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.00.57 AM.png

Again, we see a nice fan trend for the line of best fits through the data in 1/2 month blocks. With late June (dark blue line at the top) vs late October (dark green line at the bottom). So for instance, let's take a pace of 8:12 which is right in the middle of this graph. In late June, I would have had a HR of approximately 144 and in late October a HR of 133. The difference between those is a matter of almost Marathon Tempo in June to almost easy pace in October. But let's move a little further faster in pace to really drive it home. Let's use 7:03 pace. In June that was a HR of 152 and in October it was a HR of 144. That's not a ton of separation, but when it comes to race performances it does matter quite a bit. The HR of 152 is a tad higher than my average HM Tempo race HR. Whereas, the HR of 144 is about 4 bpm slower than M Tempo. So we're talking about going from a pace that can be maintained for 13.11 miles in a race, to something that would be akin to the middle of between M Tempo and Long Run pace. I'd call that quite a dramatic difference in HRvsPace abilities. So even in the case of adjusted pacing based on T+D, the plan worked beautifully. My fitness increased significantly on far less training than I did for Disney 2020. I feel this is something that I can easily emulate moving forward with potentially a few additional tweaks with the hope of keeping me healthy.

ETA - Some additional data that really drives home the relationship between my running load "form" value and my changes in Garmin VO2max that I graphically displayed in a later post.

Here's a really good visual for the relationship between my running "form" and my Garmin VO2max value:

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 2.52.42 PM.png

From 6/13 through 8/1(ish) the running form value was greater than 0. Around 8/1 it started to drop and you can see the Garmin VO2max value increase. Once the running form passes sub-0 and stays below is when it really starts to climb into the highest values.

So, what's next? Well I was given a 25% off code for the Milwaukee Marathon because of its 2020 cancellation. They're hopeful they'll be able to run the race in April 2021. I'm not overly confident it will happen. But in addition to the 25% off, they're also offering a 100% refund in the event of cancellation. So I think I'm willing to take them up on that combo offer. With an April 10th race date, that gives me 19 weeks until race day. Plenty of time to allow my ankle to continue to heal, and then increase the training for 10-11 weeks in advance of the race. It also has the additional benefit of potentially avoiding the worst of the WI weather in January and February when it comes to peak training.

So, I've mapped out a training plan based on the following principles:

A) Keep the run training load form to above 0 prior to the run phase. So that would be 11/30/20 through 1/31/21.
B) Once the run phase begins, then keep the run training load form sub-0 for at least 5 of the 7 days per week.
C) Only stay sub-0 in run training load volume for 10-11 weeks maximally. The plan as designed is for 9 weeks and change leaving me some wiggle room for early missteps.
D) Only run 4 days per week.
E) Never cycle longer than 2.5 hrs continuously.
F) Avoid early morning hard cycle workouts. So I'm going to try and do early morning easy runs instead on double days. We'll see, I'm not a big pre-work day runner.
G) Ensure total run volume equivalent is over 7.5 hrs at peak to ensure peak fitness levels. The plan is currently designed to hit a peak the week of 3/22 with a run volume of 5:05 hrs and cycle volume of 5:15 hrs. That would be a total of 7:42 hrs of run volume equivalent based on my past performance history.
H) Continue the strength routine of LIIFT4+McMillan Core or McMillan Legs on a 3-4 times per week basis.

The end goal is to be healthy on race day in order to give a good effort. Ideally, with the final race performance being around Garmin VO2max - 6 points to equal a VDOT time as long as the temperature/wind chill is in the 30-40 for the large majority of the race. I don't believe I can ask for much more than that given past performance.

Follow-up post

Last edited:
Amazing summary. I'm really glad I have you to figure out my training load. Otherwise, I'd probably still be out running every run for all it was worth.... Good luck with the upcoming training cycle! I'm excited to see how the new plan works out.

What is the above and below 0 running form you reference? I've seen you mention that before and am curious what it measures.

I love your analysis! I wish I was as good as you at analyzing my own data.

Amazing summary. I'm really glad I have you to figure out my training load. Otherwise, I'd probably still be out running every run for all it was worth.... Good luck with the upcoming training cycle! I'm excited to see how the new plan works out.

Thanks!

To be fair, I do not calculate training load data for anyone but my self. I'm missing some very key information in order to be able to do it for others.

1) I need to know the starting point for current "fitness" and "fatigue".

From a prior post:
Today's Fitness = Yesterday's Fitness + (Today's Stress Score - Yesterday's Fitness) X (0.0238)

Today's Fatigue = Yesterday's Fatigue + (Today's Stress Score - Yesterday's Fitness) X (0.1331)

The 1/42 values makes sense (0.0238) because the Fitness is a 6 week rolling number thus everyday is worth 1/42nd of the total Fitness value (but not quite a rolling average like I had once thought). But the 0.1331 value doesn't make sense since according to the formula it is 1/7 (0.1428), but in practice it appears to be 0.1331. That comes out to roughly 7.51 days instead. Don't know if this is an error in Elevate, or whether this was intentional. Regardless, that's how it's currently being calculated.

Without knowing the starting point, everything would be junk. Now one could try and make the assumption then that if I just started off everyone at zero for both fitness and fatigue that in 42 days and 7.5 days respectively, they would be on point. But I've messed with the numbers a bit and that doesn't seem to be the case. There is something still "baked in" even though the "fitness" value is suppose to be an accumulation of training load from the past 42 days. So it's not as simple as just guessing and then moving forward.

2) I'd need to confirm that the rate of your stress score values is the same rate as my personal data set. With a high level of reproducibility, these are my stress score values per hr.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 2.03.38 PM.png

So if I run for an hour at an easy pace, then my run stress score from that day will be around 52 (52/(60/60)). If I were to run for 30 min of easy, then it would be 52/(60/30) = 26. If it were 1.5 hrs at Brick Marathon tempo, then it would be 80/(60/90) = 120. But let's say your brick marathon tempo rate is not 80, but 65. Then you'd be 65/(60/90) = 97.5. So I might input that the run was 120 TSS for you, but in reality it was a 97.5. Those kinds of errors would compound.

Now technically, my easy and your easy should be the same. It's based on a relative % of HR values. So if my easy is 74% of maxHR and your easy is 74% of maxHR, then we should both have the same relative rate per hr at 52. But I don't have a second set of data to play with to confirm. But that's how the calculations are set up in Elevate.

With that all being said, I do take the concepts and lessons learned from my own training load data to use on other training plans. One thing I see in my own data has to do with time (or duration) of runs. I've found that around 20-40 min gained per two weeks cycle keeps me in the sub-0 form zone without bleeding too much over or under. So I visually like to schedule training weeks in the following manner:

Week 1 - X
Week 2 - X-30 min
Week 3 - X+30 min
Week 4 - X-45 min
Week 5 - X+60 min
Week 6 - X+30 min
Week 7 - X+90 min
Week 8 - X
Week 9 - X+120 min

The weeks on a 4-week rotating pattern increase and decrease so that it goes High, Medium, High, Low and repeats after. Each subsequent 4-week block continues the building pattern. This is certainly not set in stone. In my experience, some are better at increasing faster than this rate, and others slower than this rate. All a matter of finding a pattern that works for someone and trying to see if you can replicate it again.

It's not hard to figure out your own training load data. It just takes a HR monitor attached to your running data, and then downloading the Elevate app for Google Chrome or Opera. It downloads your data from Strava and does the rest of the heavy lifting. Just make sure the settings are accurate in Elevate (like HR max, FTP, etc) before downloading. Because the information is relevant. I personally take it one step further and pre-predict my values for an upcoming training plan based on the methodology written above.

What is the above and below 0 running form you reference? I've seen you mention that before and am curious what it measures.

I love your analysis! I wish I was as good as you at analyzing my own data.

"Fitness" and "Fatigue"

Post 1 (link) has a whole section on understanding training load and what it means. I also go through several thought experiments in training plan design to show the impact on training load output.

It's important to note (as I always try to do), training load is not the end all be all. It's another tool in the toolbox. I could do exclusively super easy running and hit a training load value the same as if I did every run at HM Tempo. They would not equally prepare me, nor similarly be safe to execute. So the training load values of fitness, fatigue, and form will miss these details. In addition, training load was originally written for cycling. I think there are reasons why run training load should be dropped more often on a weekly basis than say you would need to do in cycling (mostly because of the impact forces associated with running not found in cycling). So I'd be wary to use training load as a sole reason/source for making choices. The balance of pacing and day to day load within a week still plays a pivotal role. But for the purpose of my writing my own plans, I make those things all an assumption of constant. Because I know a good run training plan has those things outside of what training load data might suggest I need to do otherwise.

With that being said, "form" is simply the comparison of what you've been doing over the long term (several weeks) compared to the short term (within the last week). If your training today is too similar to your training from a few weeks ago (hence not progressive enough), then your form will be at or above 0. If your training is way way more today than it was a few weeks ago, then your form is going to be super negative (and maybe overtraining). Whereas, if your training today is different than what you were doing a few weeks ago, but reasonably different, then you'll be in a good zone for continuing to make gains while minimizing the risk of overtraining.

So when I'm talking about trying to stay "sub-0" for consecutive weeks/days. It means, I'm trying to keep myself in a place where today's workout is harder than a few weeks ago, but not too hard that it's too much to handle. And my personal data suggests that I want to try and keep that balance on a daily basis such that I have no more than 2 days of "too close to a few weeks ago" as possible.

This is a visual of my training plan:

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 2.35.28 PM.png

The left values are my descriptions and calculations for run, cycle and strength. The middle section is my estimations on Total Stress Score data. The Bike TSS is easy because TrainerRoad provides that information. The far right section are my calculations on a daily basis of "fitness", "fatigue" and "form". I then have a conditional formatting statement to highlight values >0 as red, values between 0 to -10 as grey, and values < -10 as green. For cycling, you want to stay in the green zone (or optimal). But my running data suggests I'm better off in the grey zone (between 0 and -10). The predicted data looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 2.43.51 PM.png

Stay greater than 0 on a daily basis at least 3 times per week until 1/24/21. Then shift to 2 days per week or less starting the week of 1/25 (for the remaining 11 weeks). Then shift to 100% below 0 the week of 2/15 (for the remaining 8 weeks). Then right at the end, do a two-week taper and pull the plug in order for the run form to soar back up such that I maintain my actual fitness but feel fresh on race day.

Here's a really good visual for the relationship between my running "form" and my Garmin VO2max value:

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 2.52.42 PM.png

From 6/13 through 8/1(ish) the running form value was greater than 0. Around 8/1 it started to drop and you can see the Garmin VO2max value increase. Once the running form passes sub-0 and stays below is when it really starts to climb into the highest values.

Let me know if that sufficiently answers your question.

Facsinating data analysis as always! April 10th is also the date of the next half marathon I'm registered for. The Hattiesburg Half Marathon gave the option of a refund or a deferral when they canceled it this past spring. I'm hoping, but not hopeful that it will actually happen next year.

Facsinating data analysis as always! April 10th is also the date of the next half marathon I'm registered for. The Hattiesburg Half Marathon gave the option of a refund or a deferral when they canceled it this past spring. I'm hoping, but not hopeful that it will actually happen next year.

Thanks! Fingers crossed for the both of us. Otherwise, I'll probably just run mine on April 10th as a time trial. No pushing it back this time as we saw that strategy didn't work.

I haven’t been around too much lately, but I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been hit by another injury! Hope you’re doing well!

I’m hoping to do the 2021 Milwaukee Half and hope it can be in person next year! I did it virtually this year but I don’t know if I can do it again!

I haven’t been around too much lately, but I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been hit by another injury! Hope you’re doing well!

I’m hoping to do the 2021 Milwaukee Half and hope it can be in person next year! I did it virtually this year but I don’t know if I can do it again!

Thanks! Making progress. Live, learn, and adjust.

Well hopefully we'll be able to give each other air fives instead of virtual fives come April.

18 Weeks to go + HIM Base Mid Volume Cycling + (LIIFT 4 + McMillan Core/Legs)

11/30/20 - M - OFF
12/1/20 - T - Pettit (60 min; 39 TSS)
12/2/20 - W - 30 min Run @ Easy + LIIFT4-Chest/Tri + McMillan Core
12/3/20 - R - Pettit (60 min; 39 TSS)
12/4/20 - F - 30 min Run @ Easy + McMillan Legs
12/5/20 - Sa - Townsend (90 min; 60 TSS)
12/6/20 - Su - 45 min @ LR

Total Run Miles - 12.0 miles
Total Run Time - 1:45 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 3:30 hours
Total Biking TSS - 138 TSS

Total Strength Time - 1:03 hours
Total Strength TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 6:18 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

Steph wanted to go to the grocery store so I switched running and cycling. So an easy 60 min endurance ride on the bike. Nothing noteable.

Wednesday

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 9mph to 16mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 34°F + 15°F; FL - 27°F
End: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 15°F; FL - 27°F

Just 30 min of easy running. Things continue to feel better, but not quite 100% healthy. Overall it was 3.25 miles in 30 min at 9:22 pace with HR of 130bpm.

Afterwards, I did a LIIFT4 Chest/Tri workout with McMillan Core to follow.

Thursday

Another easy endurance ride of 60 min on the bike.

Friday

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 6mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 26°F; FL - 27°F
End: Temp+Dew = 32°F + 25°F; FL - 27°F

Nice and easy 30 min run at 9:02 pace (3.26 miles) with HR of 132 bpm.

Came home and did the McMillan Legs workout.

Saturday

A 90 min cycling ride at endurance efforts. Nothing noteable.

Sunday

Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 4mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 25°F; FL - 29°F
End: Temp+Dew = 32°F + 25°F; FL - 29°F

A 45 min run in which I settled into long run effort. The pace ended up being an 8:15 min/mile with HR of 140 bpm. So the HR is thereabouts where LR was in September/October, but the pace is about 30-40 sec/mile slower. I took three weeks off from running. I have been running for two weeks now at 1 hr and 1.75 hrs in those two weeks. My Garmin VO2max was a 59 on the last run before the injury and is now sitting at about 55 or where I was about 10 weeks before the injury happened. It'll take time to get back to where I was, but that's ok. I'd rather the fitness build up slowly and peak in April than come back quick and peak in February.

On tap is another easy week much like this past one. Then I'll increase the difficulty of the cycling. It'll be another 9 weeks before I do any paced running work.

Another one of the 102 Goals has been reached!

81. Write 500 training plans - Completed 12/10/2020 by writing @GuinnessRunner 's new hybrid cycling/running plan.

Because of injury issues in the past, we're trying to lessen the running and introduce some loosely structured cycling training. He's got access to a Peloton, so that allows us to use the Power Zone classes to hit certain desired areas of the %FTP spectrum on certain days/weeks.

I broke the plan into two phases.

Phase 1 runs from 12/7 to 2/16. The focus is on consistency and trying to hold a pace slightly faster than he hopes to run in April. Given the time constraints on the weekdays, I used an approach of minimizing the rest intervals over the weeks. So you don't hold the pace for longer, but you do hold the second rep off of less rest. Those 2x2 mile runs will be challenging but doable.

Phase 2 runs from 2/17 to the end. The goal is volume with fast finishes, hard bricks at HM Tempo, and Blocks. The HM Tempo bricks are to teach him what it's like to run at pace on tired legs, but hopefully minimize injury risk. The Blocks are to teach him what it's like to start slow in a run and continue to ratchet up the effort through the finish. My hope is that these progressions will instill a mindset used on race day of start slow/finish fast. Because just like on race day, if you go out the gate too fast on a progression it makes the finish of these very difficult. Where instead if you can rein in the pace early, he'll find in practice he feels much better late in the race/run. Additionally, since these are time based and not distance based, he can not save himself by running a certain section faster to make it over sooner. The time is what it is. So best be slow. Good Luck @GuinnessRunner!

Attachments

• Patrick HM w.Cycle 2020_12_7.pdf
    137.2 KB · Views: 2
Another one of the 102 Goals has been reached!

81. Write 500 training plans - Completed 12/10/2020 by writing @GuinnessRunner 's new hybrid cycling/running plan.

Because of injury issues in the past, we're trying to lessen the running and introduce some loosely structured cycling training. He's got access to a Peloton, so that allows us to use the Power Zone classes to hit certain desired areas of the %FTP spectrum on certain days/weeks.

I broke the plan into two phases.

Phase 1 runs from 12/7 to 2/16. The focus is on consistency and trying to hold a pace slightly faster than he hopes to run in April. Given the time constraints on the weekdays, I used an approach of minimizing the rest intervals over the weeks. So you don't hold the pace for longer, but you do hold the second rep off of less rest. Those 2x2 mile runs will be challenging but doable.

Phase 2 runs from 2/17 to the end. The goal is volume with fast finishes, hard bricks at HM Tempo, and Blocks. The HM Tempo bricks are to teach him what it's like to run at pace on tired legs, but hopefully minimize injury risk. The Blocks are to teach him what it's like to start slow in a run and continue to ratchet up the effort through the finish. My hope is that these progressions will instill a mindset used on race day of start slow/finish fast. Because just like on race day, if you go out the gate too fast on a progression it makes the finish of these very difficult. Where instead if you can rein in the pace early, he'll find in practice he feels much better late in the race/run. Additionally, since these are time based and not distance based, he can not save himself by running a certain section faster to make it over sooner. The time is what it is. So best be slow. Good Luck @GuinnessRunner!
Congrats! Onto the next 500!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!