today is sad..

bunny213

DIS Veteran
this is my first time to post here...My Daughter's husband left today for Iraq. She lives in CA....and I'm in Texas. They have 6 children under 13, and he is AF....I need to call her but I don't know what to say. I know she is hurting and so sad...the children are too..:sad2: .I desparately want to say the right things...but when I think of her and how much she is hurting...I just fall apart. I've read through all your posts...and you all seem so strong and capable.....right now we don't feel that way....does it come? I'm so very worried about them all. Thanks for listening....Barb

this is my first time to post here...My Daughter's husband left today for Iraq. She lives in CA....and I'm in Texas. They have 6 children under 13, and he is AF....I need to call her but I don't know what to say. I know she is hurting and so sad...the children are too..:sad2: .I desparately want to say the right things...but when I think of her and how much she is hurting...I just fall apart. I've read through all your posts...and you all seem so strong and capable.....right now we don't feel that way....does it come? I'm so very worried about them all. Thanks for listening....Barb

Hello! What a wonderful Mom and MIL!!! My suggestion would just be to call and see how she's doing and just LISTEN. Let her vent, etc if she needs to. As for saying that we all seem so strong and capable and asking if that will come later? I believe so. The first time you never know what to expect, how you'll feel, how to help the kids, etc. Each day they'll get stronger and stronger but of course miss their Dad/Husband.

There are so many great ideas for the kids to do while their Dad is gone. One of my favorites is for them each to write down something that happened (everyday do this) on a piece of paper and date it. Then they can put it in a jar (or make a chain link with it). Then when Dad comes home he can read what they did each day (not all in one sitting, lol).

Another idea I have seen is to have a jar full of M&M's (or a similar candy)....one for each day that Dad will be gone. Each night before bed they eat one M&M and as the days go on they can see how close it is until he comes home.

For your son-in-law I know he'd love to receive photo's, letters, drawings, etc from the kids and your daughter.

If there is anything I can help you with please let me know.

Missie

Dear Missy..
Thank you for your note, suggestions and kind words. I've called her and listened....she is just so quiet and sad. She said it was so hard at the airport because his commander and first shirt were there and she didn't have the the time with her hubby that they wanted. They're all exhausted...she's hoping he'll call her tonight from Chicago...(first stop). Seems like she thinks he forgot his helmet...(I told her to call the first shirt and let him expedite it to him).
I'm going to pass along your ideas to her in a day or two. And I plan on calling her nightly until I hear her sound some better.
I've also signed up to receive those Military Kits that the post office offers. I read about it on here. Her hubby said not to send him anything until he's sure of the address, but I do have the address that he sent his box ahead to, so I may just send a note or two to that. If he receives them fine...if not...nothing really lost.
I've read other posts that you posted...you are so very caring and so full of courage. I hope that when your hubby gets back...all your fondest dreams come true!
You seem well connected in the circle....I wish my daughter was...she doesn't really make alot of friends....and right now I think she especially needs that support. Have a good night....and bless you! :love: barb

Hi Barbara.

My hubby is also AF and has been in Iraq for nine months now. Do you know where your son-in-law is going in Iraq?

In my circumstance, I have found myself to be the information center for my husband's family. They all call and check to see how he is and how I am doing. He works at the Embassey and is at a computer all day, so we email each other daily, if not multiple times a day. He doesn't email his family that much, I guess he knows I will forward the info on to the rest of the clan.

One thing I would recommend is if you could fly out to spend time with her and also offer to watch the kids while she goes out with the girls or something like that. My mom is close by and I get that break every now and then. It has really helped.

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention this before, but once her husband leaves the states, it is very likely she won't hear from him for a few days. My hubby left on Sunday and I think I finally heard from him on Thursday, just to give you a timetable. She may already know this though.

You mentioned how they didn't get to spend time at the airport like they wanted. I know this is too late, but when he comes home she can actually go to the gate to meet him. I think she just has to show her military ID and they will let her through. They let me go when my husband left after his leave. We didn't realize they did this. When my husband checked in they asked where he was going and then asked for my ID and gave me a gate pass. I have the regulations on this if you would like to have them. Just PM me with an email address and I will send them to you.

Melissa

Dear Missy..
Thank you for your note, suggestions and kind words. I've called her and listened....she is just so quiet and sad. She said it was so hard at the airport because his commander and first shirt were there and she didn't have the the time with her hubby that they wanted. They're all exhausted...she's hoping he'll call her tonight from Chicago...(first stop). Seems like she thinks he forgot his helmet...(I told her to call the first shirt and let him expedite it to him).
I'm going to pass along your ideas to her in a day or two. And I plan on calling her nightly until I hear her sound some better.
I've also signed up to receive those Military Kits that the post office offers. I read about it on here. Her hubby said not to send him anything until he's sure of the address, but I do have the address that he sent his box ahead to, so I may just send a note or two to that. If he receives them fine...if not...nothing really lost.
I've read other posts that you posted...you are so very caring and so full of courage. I hope that when your hubby gets back...all your fondest dreams come true!
You seem well connected in the circle....I wish my daughter was...she doesn't really make alot of friends....and right now I think she especially needs that support. Have a good night....and bless you! :love: barb

That's great that you are there for her. Does she live in a military community? It's different everywhere, but my specific base offers free childcare the first Sat. of each month if your spouse is deployed and other free activities around base.

This was my experience: The first day that my DH was gone was very hard for me, I really didn't want to talk to anyone and my kids were very weepy (we knew he was leaving for a long time and the anticipation had taken its toll on our whole family). I also didn't want to touch any of Dh's things, like cleaning up his dirty clothes or putting away any of his things, it took a few days before I could start doing that.

Now that he has been gone for a little over a month I'm starting to feel a little forgotten. It seems like now that my family knows DH is settled in and I seem okay they don't need to check in or anything. I even had to email Dh's MOM a very straightforward email reminding her to send her SON a care package (she told me she didn't have time) because I was feeling very pressured to keep his morale up on my own. I also don't know many people in my area.

So some things that would be helpful would be phone calls, especially in the evening after the kids are in bed, time that would normally be spent with Dh and gets lonely. Visits, especially with babysitting offers, would be great. As a mom of 5 I would LOVE the chance to go to the commissary, Target, dentist, or to get my hair done by myself! If she mentions a family readiness group meeting (I'm not sure what they're called in the AF, DH is Army) you should encourage her to go. It's a great way to meet other spouses and to get information about what is going on with your spouse and in the community.

As far as the address to send packages to, my DH didn't go straight to Iraq, he went somewhere else first to get "acclimated" for a few weeks. I did send him packages to that first address, but he didn't get them until about a week after he arrived in Iraq because that's where they went and they needed to get someone in their unit authorized to pick up mail. Also, in case you haven't looked into it, it costs the same to mail flat rate boxes and to an APO there as it does in the states, same with letters, just a stamp.

From what I've read, I think most wives get into a "groove" after their Dh's have been gone awhile. They get their routines down, figure out what works for them and find ways to keep busy and combat loneliness. We still have our moments, I remember an awful weekend when DH was in Bosnia, I was pregnant. Two of my kids and I all had the stomach flu:sick: , I actually had to keep my 4 year old home from pre-k to help out (she was healthy). When Dh called I actually yelled at him for not being there, of course he understood my frustration and insanity and forgave me. But if you DD doesn't find her groove over time, doesn't seem like herself at all or is overly depressed you may want to encourage her to seek counseling. It can be hard because often the morale of the soldiers is stressed so much that the morale of the family left behind gets forgotten.

I don't think there are any "right" words to say, it sounds like you're doing a great job just listening, sometimes it's best just to have someone to vent to. I think it will be helpful to her that you are feeling some of the same feelings that she is so she can share her ups and downs with you. Sorry for the long post, I hope there's something helpful in there :)

Just want to say God Bless you all and your families !!!!!
May our prayers bring them back home safe to their loving families, and may we wish this war ends soon....
God Bless from me and Mickey !:)

I agree with everyone so far. I also think if you have time to visit her and give her a good break, that would be fabulous. Just for her to go get her hair done and maybe a massage would make such a difference in her day/week or even month.

Food!! I am a big fan of make main meals courses they can freeze. I just sent our friends a few main courses and the wife said it feed her family for two weeks. Her DH has only been gone 3.5 months, but it was a blessing to her. I know you are far away, but when you do visit maybe you could make a few dishes she could freeze for those days she just needs a break from the stove.

How fabulous you are!

Can I ask what base they are at in California? You can PM that if you'd like.

Best of luck and come back to ask anything you need.

Good wishes and prayers are with your daughter, son-in-law and their family. And you also, Barb. God speed for a quick and safe return. :hug:

My DS has been in Iraq 2 times. During those times my DDIL loved to talk at night when she would normally be watching TV with her DH. We would watch the same TV show while on the phone. Some times not even talking but she knew I was there if she had a comment. We live about 400 miles away but we visited often. We would cook "real" meals, go shopping and leave the kids with my DH.

My advice just be there for her no matter what.

God Bless You and all Our Military Families

again...thank you all for your kind words and prayers for all those deployed, and all those working hard to support them.
It has been a trying few weeks, my daughter is very lucky...her hubby has been able to call her. Since I'm so far away...I try to call her every day and have been sending the children notes and things in the mail. We're planning to go out and visit in July.
All your suggestions were so good. Mike is in a tent with about 10-15 other fellows from different units and areas. It's very hot and he's requested more underwear...
Funny...while we were on vacation I found a tube of "snow" that you add water to and it expands to 300 xs its size! In fact it was in the Disney
"10$ or less" area in DTD. I'm planning to add that to one of his boxes.
I also want to say how wonderful it is to share with you all....and how very supportive you are to and for each other.
Barb

I know how it feels. DH is also in the AF, active duty and he got deployed May 2006 for the 1st time for 4 months to Iraq. We have no kids, so I was left here alone with our 2 furbabies. Luckly my mom and stepdad are only 20 mins away from me and we live on base housing so I felt perfectly safe and ok. Plus our 2 friends are only about 15 mins away as well, so if I ever needed anything they were there for me. But the 1st day I was a wreck. I was so upset, I couldnt even get out of bed to see him off at the base. My parents came over that day and my mom stayed with me for a couple days, until I was ready to get back up on my feet. That week, I got back into the groove of doing things and started downloading and listening to the Disney songs that are here on the boards under the Music from the parks thread and started posting on these boards and plan our trip which was supposed to be for this December - BUT - had to postpone to Aug 2008 because u guessed it, DH getting deployed again in Sept for another 4 months. It will be hard being this will be our 1st holiday season away from each other, BUT on the upside I dont have to worry about him, cuz he's going to the desert, just not to a hostal country. So he will be safe. The key thing for her to do is STAY BUSY. Thats what I did, and those 4 months flew by. It felt like he was gone for 2 months instead for 4 months. Some days flew by so fast, I started to loose track on what day it was and felt like I had skipped a day or 2 during the week. She has a lot of kids, so that will help keep her busy. I wouldnt worry to much about her. She's a lot stronger then you or herself may think. I thought I was gonna be a mess the whole 4 months, crying all the time, etc. But I ended up finding out that I am a lot stronger then I thought and surprised myself and DH that I handled the deployment so well. If its possible go out to CA sometime during the deployment and visit her and the kids. Have her plan something for when he returns home like a trip or a party. She will be OK and so will her kids. Just wondering how long will he be gone for?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter