Tolls from MCO to WDW

The rental transponders are highway robbery in my opinion.

We just bring a bag of quarters and use the exact change lanes. I believe there are only two toll stops between MCO and the Epcot/I-Drive exit. About $5 each way. We use the airport’s southern exit, to the GreeneWay (417).
Actually only two tolls of $1.50 each on that route, so $3.00 total each way. If you want a receipt to prove to Avis that you paid the toll, you can use cash in whatever form you like, since the receipt lane (all the way to the right at the toll plaza) will be attended and can make change. I usually get change from $2 at the first toll and add another $1 to the $0.50 change at the second one.

The last few times we have rented a car, we took 417. Total tolls each way were under $5. The main ones of 417 all have cash options and are manned. Just be sure to have change for the last toll off 417 as that one is not manned. Same if you are going to get off 417 to get groceries.
We get groceries by getting off 417 at the Epcot exit (takes you right onto World Center Drive, highway 536) and go right at International Drive (the first stoplight). A nice Publix supermarket will be about two miles along on the left.

Using the cash lanes is easy, but the fees for using Sunpass through rental car agencies vary, and some are better than others. I usually rent from Alamo, and they are pretty fair - they only charge you on the days you use the system, which for me is only to and from the airport. So yes, it's nearly a $10 surcharge for the convenience (plus the tolls), but I like not having to slow down and not having to worry about having change ... so I usually opt for it. Other Disney related sites have some detailed breakdowns of each of the rental car companies charges for toll roads.

And as mentioned above, it if you go semi-frequently, it is really easy to buy your own transponder and just use that.

I haven't been on all weekend - GREAT responses and I'm convinced;
417 is the way to go
(thanks for the Publix tip too)
I'll use the cash lanes and bring plenty of quarters

Still, I don't see why you see Disney as the bad guy but you congratulate Avis on their business sense.
VERY fair point! No doubt Disney analytics is the model all businesses should follow. Their tiered pricing for adding days is brilliant in the other direction. (Cheaper and cheaper each day you add to the hopper - making a side trip for a day or two at Universal seems way too expensive).

According to the Orlando Sentinel EZPass is now accepted...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/traffic/os-ezpass-central-florida-tolls-20171109-story.html

but it is not clear to me from the article if that applies to the reciprocal agencies like IPass, or if you need an EZPass proper.

In any case, if you use the Avis transponder, they charge you the daily fee (on top of the actual toll charge) for the entire length of your rental, regardless of the day(s) you actually use it. From the Avis e-toll page;

If you use e-Toll, you will be charged a $3.95 convenience fee for each day of the rental, including any days on which e-Toll is not used, up to a maximum of $19.75 per rental month, plus incurred tolls at the cash rate.

According to the Orlando Sentinel EZPass is now accepted...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/traffic/os-ezpass-central-florida-tolls-20171109-story.html

but it is not clear to me from the article if that applies to the reciprocal agencies like IPass, or if you need an EZPass proper.

In any case, if you use the Avis transponder, they charge you the daily fee (on top of the actual toll charge) for the entire length of your rental, regardless of the day(s) you actually use it. From the Avis e-toll page;
The article you referenced is from last November, and only talks about plans. Those plans have not yet been implemented.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter