Tonight's the Night Gonna Be Alright

FtW Mike

DIS Veteran
Last weekend we spent at Elizabethtown Pa. KOA in order to go to HERSHEY PARK on Saturday to after a 2 year, covid delayed wait see Rod Stewart in concert. Both Good Sam and the GPS wanted to route me from Delaware into Maryland , around Baltimore up into Pa. Having taken that route when I worked for a private ambulance company taking patients to Johns Hopkins I was less than willing. Ended up doing the Pa turnpike route and despite some construction a trip of 153 miles only took 3 hours.
We had a full hook up pull thru site # 155 . The site was relatively level with crushed gravel pad and grassy strip along side it , Hint the grass area of that row was not so level. My only real complaint is we were about a half mile from the dog park. Sorry ED but every time I went exploring the grounds I forgot my phone so no pictures.

Sorry ED but every time I went exploring the grounds I forgot my phone so no pictures.

giphy.gif

I think you're just trying to keep me away from visiting your fave places, Mike.

Although I will say I've been to that corner of PA once when the kids were young and there was a free theme-park like ride through the Hershey factory that I recall where the smell of chocolate permeated the air. But we were there to ride the Strasburg Railroad about 25 miles away on the east side of Lancaster. And we slept at the nearby Red Caboose Motel (yes, in an actual caboose).

But don't you worry, no sir-eee :sad2: , I got PLENTY of camping trips coming up so keep your head on a swivel and be ready.

Glad you had a good trip to PA.

Ed

PS - how bad did you fan-boy when Rod Stewart came on stage? I bet you were like:

giphy.gif

I have this vision that Lucille was trying to pull you down off your chair during the whole concert.

Last edited:
Ed , my response to the above somehow ended up in the Chit Chat Cafe. need to remind myself , " No more online time during GUTFELD!"

The sites were from my observations all fairly had level pads and good length but by and large were a tad narrow. Wifi is sort of iffy. Inside the coach we got signals on our phones but not our laptops.
For kids there are 2 play areas. The bigger one is adjacent to the road to the sites near the exit road. the other is behind the rec hall which doubles as a Snack Bar Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
The registration center doubles as the camp store. Next door are the primary pool as well as a splash pad and a zero entry shallow Kiddie pool. There is a free Putt Putt course across the way

I prefer Elizabethtown KOA over Hershey campground. We stayed at Hershey last time on behest of my DW and once she saw how sardine like it is she agreed its not that great. I am guessing if you can easily get to PA322 you have just as easy a route as if you where to take I83 to PA581 to avoid the toll roads and get in there. We only paid for the toll once so far going to French creek state park because I just wanted to get there before dark to setup. Otherwise, I avoid all the tolls as much as possible. Even if we go to DW parents we do not pay the MD or DE tolls, we jump off and use US1 north over the dam.

JB your report along with SJM's played a huge part in our decision to AVOID Hershey Campground. For Us the tolls on 76 were just easier to deal with. We both worked for Private Ambulance Services that took people to VA Hosp. in Coatesville Pa. and know the back routes some are out of question as there are overpasses we don't fit under. The Bay Bridge to 50 to 97 to 695 to 83 as I said meant skirting Baltimore and I have never had good luck with that.

Oh yeah I would not do the bay bridge. I know just from I83 to 581 to 280 there are no low clearances... Even 322 should be clear as its a truck/emergency route. I definitely am very wary and careful in PA, there are LOT of low clearance areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter