Too young to eat alone?

jaly05

Earning My Ears
How young is too young to eat at a table service restaurant like Cape May? Got into a discussion with a friend and we were talking about 2 kids 14 & 11 who are well behaved and know what’s expected of them and even know how to pay and figure out tip. But I wasn’t sure if that is just too young. Keep in mind, parents would be at the hotel, just not in that restaurant. Thoughts?

If it's the same hotel as they are staying at, and the staff knows the parents are okay with it and knows the parents can be in the restaurant witin minutes in case of an emergency, it should be possible.

I don't see any issue with leaving your 14 and 11 year old to eat alone if you're confident they'll be well behaved.

I have the exact same age kids...one 14 year old and a pair of 11 year olds (well, they're 10 but turn 11 in 2 weeks). We would never let them do it, because we don't trust they wouldn't start arguing with each other. They love each other very much...until they don't.

I think it would be fine.
Make sure they know how to pay the bill and tip. That is usually the confusing part for kids.

At 14, I went on a business trip with my dad in Mobile for a couple of weeks. I got most of my breakfasts and lunch on my own at various restaurants. It should be no problem with them dining alone.

I vaguely remember dining alone in Gatlinburg with my cousins and sister when we would have ranged 10-14.

Back in my day in New Orleans.... When I was 12 they used to drop us off at the Ponchartrain Beach amusement park for the day and when night time came we would take the crosstown bus to the Canal St Ferry. Call our parents on a pay phone and they would pick us up on the Algiers side. And this was during a time of racial tensions.

No your kids are not too young to handle this. The younger they start the better off they will be later on.

My kids are 18 and 12. I would've let them go at that age. I actually left that at SAB while we hit Epcot one night (their choice!). They were 15 and 9 at the time. They did great. I think they will be fine!

I would have let mine go at that age but would also make sure they knew how to tip. This is giving me flashbacks of prom kids who had no idea. :scared:

Since Disney considers adults ages 10 and above, my guess is they could really balk could they? ;) LOL!

I used to do this all the time with my friends at Applebees. I think the most difficult concept was the tip. Custom in America, we knew we had to tip, but we didn't understand the significance of leaving a good tip. I would just double check they know how to calculate 15-20% and reinforce how hard CMs (and waitstaff in general) work.

Now a days there is not much to calculating a tip. Most of the first receipts have an amount preprinted on the first receipt you send back with payment before the final receipt for signature is brought to the table.

By all accounts it is fine. The only thing the kids have to know is how to pay and tip. If they're using DDP they will need the PIN number for the room.

We found Disney's resort area to be the perfect place with granting our teens a bit of freedom. Disney professionals, they knew the bus system, we all had cell phones/communication was easy access and like yours, they knew how to behave. You're close by, shouldn't be a problem, and if the restaurant has issue, they can call you.

Thanks - they get quite a bit of freedom at home because they've proven they can handle it. We are pass holders and live 3 hours away so we go quite often and we are comfortable with them going to a quick service restaurant on their own But wasn't sure if table service or buffet restaurants had different rules. My friend agreed with you all - she didn't feel it would be a problem, especially knowing how they are and they wouldn't do anything to risk losing the privilege.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter