tour guide Mike for Memorial weekend? Opinions, please!

suevee

<font color=red>I am in a frenzy!<br><font color=r
I have been to WDW about 7 times in the last four years, so we are no novices. However this time it is just my hubby and I going. Also we have never gone over a holiday weekend. We will be there for only 4 full days and I want it to be great. First time with no grandkids or kids. :teeth:

So has anyone used this service? Does anyone have any feedback? Or should I just go with my own experience? I have already made the PS we want and we are staying at SoG. Please help. Thanks.

As I've said before, the more advice the better. I really liked TGM!

Go on and pay for his service and use his advice mixed in w/ yours! You won't be sorry. :sunny:

I would highly recommend his website. We used his ideas at Christmas and for MVMCP and he was right on the mark! While others were waiting in line we'd go to another less crowded section and walk right on. Best of luck!

I've wondered about trying Tour Guide Mike too -- but will I really get any different tips than I've already gathered thru studying the boards, the UG and Disney for Kids?

Originally posted by barb3779
I've wondered about trying Tour Guide Mike too -- but will I really get any different tips than I've already gathered thru studying the boards, the UG and Disney for Kids?

From what I understand it's just general tips and info....I personally wouldn't pay for that.

What I have considered doing is going to www.touringplans.com and getting and actual custom touring plan which can be tailored specifically for you and can factor in breaks and PSs and things. They're only $12 each and they're by the folks at the Unofficial Guide book.

I think I's go with touring plans as well. especially for a busy holiday weekend. We did TGM before our last trip and while he does have tons of great info I knew a lot it from reading my books and the web.

I'm a TGM Fan myself. I've read The Unofificial Guide, The Passporter, Birnbaum's Official Guide, Disney with Kids, Hasslefree Disney, Rita Somebody's Aero Disney Something or other, and others...Yes, I'm a reader -- by trade (former Lit major/English teacher turned SAHM....). And, each year that I go, I buy the most up to date editions available! I've been reading the DIS board, Deb's WDWIG and other websites for 3 or 4 years. And, I would say that, yes, I have learned things from TGM that I haven't read elsewhere. I find it to be a valuable resource. The site isn't the easiest to navigate, but the info is there -- and it's good info.

Hope that helps!

Thanks crusinfamily.

suevee, as crusinfamily notes, the touring plans in the Unofficial Guide are completely customized to fit your arrival time, your priority seating reservations and breaks, and your attractions. TourGuide Mike isn't. And our touring plans are backed by years of data collection and analysis, and some really sophisticated computer software. TourGuide Mike's isn't.

I'd put our touring plans and advice up against TGM any day of the week. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions on the plans or the Guide: testa@ncat.edu.

Sincerely,

Len Testa

Originally posted by SnoWhiteRabbit
I would say that, yes, I have learned things from TGM that I haven't read elsewhere. I find it to be a valuable resource. The site isn't the easiest to navigate, but the info is there -- and it's good info.

Hope that helps!

I think the thing that's different about TGM is that when something new springs up at WDW, like the EMH evening test, he's right on it with expert advice on how to handle it. His Easter week advice was right on, kinda scary actually, as we watched the crowds do exactly what he said they would:earseek:
I'd definitely use it again.

I've used Tour Guide Mike and Len Testa's custom Touring Plans.

Let me tell you, there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

When it comes to trouging plans of the park you will find nothing out there that equals the custom plans that the Testa comes up with. He did a great jo working in all my PS, afternoon breaks and park hopping.

TGM simply can't do that.

On the otherhand, I have foudn soem of TGM's general articles on various things useful.

I consider TGM to be an electronic guide book...but when it comes to touring use the UG or the Custom plans. You won't be sorry.

Originally posted by spicedparrot
I've used Tour Guide Mike and Len Testa's custom Touring Plans.

Let me tell you, there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

When it comes to trouging plans of the park you will find nothing out there that equals the custom plans that the Testa comes up with. He did a great jo working in all my PS, afternoon breaks and park hopping.
I'm so happy to hear from someone who's used both! I figured what you said would be the case. I really, really want to order the custom plans from Len but my DH wants to follow the Hidden Mickeys book scavenger hunt this time. Next time we're using the plans from Len and that's that!

Thanks for posting you experiences...it's great to hear the facts from someone who's used both!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to help me. I have used the unofficial guide to WDW and have really enjoyed it. So I am going to check out the touring plan site. Since I have a really good basic background on WDW, I think this would help me the most. Also I like the customized aspect along with the lower price.:D Again thank you to everyone who responded!!!:sunny:

A touring plan, like they publish in Unofficial Guide, tells you to run from one attraction to another and you have to do everything in specific order. I find that stressful. TGM gives you advice on when's the best time to do things and how to group your attractions together most efficiently. Guidelines, as opposed to rules. It's much more free form and, for me at least, a lot more fun.

I too am from the TGM camp. TGM is not just general advice or guidelines -- they're quite specific. Yet you can adjust it to your liking, as the previous poster said. I'm not sure I see how another automated service is truly more personalized... certainly you can plug in your own dates, PS times etc for the UG touring plans, but TGM allows for the same in his sample touring plans that he gives for each park and event. Instead of working around the plans you've already made, he gives advice about the best times to plan and PS to begin with.

I know many many people find UG to be an excellent resource. That's great. But I DO think TGM—who is not a travel writer like most guidebook authors, but a professional WDW'er— rivals it rather well, for less of a cash outlay (his service comes all of a piece, including sample touring plans for ALL parks and special events, with half a ton of related articles). JMHO

Count me as a TGM fan! Using his advice certainly made our vacation between Christmas and New Years more enjoyable! We found it to be completely true that we did not wait for more than 15 minutes for anything when following his advice, most of the time it was under 10 minutes which is saying something for being there on the busiest week Disney has ever had.

Can you find the same advice here on the boards. In some cases yes but let me tell you that the MOST helpful suggestions he had were often contrary to the advice given here. A couple of times I'd take a look at whatever area/attraction was suggested here and whatever TGM suggested was MUCH better. IMHO, it's well worth the purchase price. He's made some recent changes to the site that make it a little easier to navigate too. :) I like that it's not just a touring plan, that he has suggestions for best viewing spots for parades and shows, and the suggestions for least crowded parks for each day of the week for mornings and evenings (and no, it's not just "go the day after EMH" or something like that). I like the tips for each attraction and the ratings for different age groups. I also love that it's kept up to date with any changes and that at particularly busy times he has a "survival guide" with specific information on how things change given the crowd level.

That said...I don't understand the TGM vs TouringPlans debate. It's not like there is only one way to avoid the crowds. I think both probably have some great advice. Which is best for you is probably determined more by the age makeup of your group and your touring style. I have a preschooler and a toddler so a more "loose" plan such as what TGM offers works best for us (he gives a general suggestion of a plan with several choices depending on your group makeup and then gives you a list of all the attractions and when is the best time to ride them with the least amount of wait ie, in the park's first hour, before 11:00 am, after lunch etc.). It's hard to explain to a 2 year old that yes, we are going to ride that but not till after lunch b/c that's how it's "scheduled" on our plan. Once my kids are a little older and can handle delayed gratification a little better I certainly plan to try the customized touring plans.

Thanks again for all the info. I still haven't quite made up my mind. I did send an email to Len with some questions on services and prices. I will have to chose by next week. Maybe I will just do both!:crazy:

Since you're going without kids, the crossing back and forth may work best for you. I didn't find that type of plan doable for a family of five as it just more sensible to tour each area with minimal crisscrossing so not to wear out too fast. Also, I believe the touring plans mentioned here are $12 per day or per park or something. It's not a week's worth of plans for that price. Just something to keep in mind.

Please post a review too about SoG as we are eligible to go but we're not next time since it's not any savings at Christmas with the mandatory package. I'd love to try it in the future however.

I will definitely post a report of SoG when I return. I have been checking every post I see to get an idea of what it will be like. So I know what it is like searching for info.

My friend is going to SoG from May 17 to 21 with her children and her parents. Then we will be down on May 28 to June 2. So I will post with two perspectives, with and without kids!:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter