Toy Story vs. M&F: my take (+ park pics)

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I've been to DL about 160 times and have always parked at M&F. But to show that I was amenable to experimentation, I once tried to park at the Toy Story lot. Unfortunately, that day there was a marathon going on and the streets were a nightmare. I gave up and went with my usual M&F.

Now: last Sunday some friends were in Anaheim with their daughter, whom I adore. She had a volleyball game early on Sunday morning so I changed my plans so I could see all of them. I left the arena about 10:30 to make for the park. I thought it would take 20 minutes or so. I was wrong. Ordinarily that might be true. But not on this day.

Long story short, there was a very long line for the M&F structure. In fact, well before I could reach the front of it, the police closed it off, presumably because it was full. That was at around 11:15. My only other option was to head for TS.

Traffic was also very heavy in Anaheim because, I was later told, there were four conventions going on that morning. Also, I believe we're right at the start of spring break season.

Getting into TS took about 30 minutes. The line was backed up around the corner. I couldn't even bring myself to think what security and gate lines would look like. Fortunately, and to my great relief, they were both very short. Still, it took me nearly 90 minutes to go from their hotel about two miles away to Buzz Lightyear. Ouch. Yes, most of that was due to Anaheim congestion and spring break, but at least now I've tried Toy Story.

I've always been told that it's faster and easier than M&F. I question that. The queue for the park busses was long and I didn't care for driving the non-Disney route to get to the park. Moreover -- and this was my fault and also a lesson learned -- I didn't know that TS lots were named differently. I thought there was simply the "Toy Story" lot. It's when I boarded the park shuttle at the end of the day that I learned that Toy Story is actually a parking area and has named lots and not one simply called "Toy Story." Or at least that's how it was explained to me. After a longish day in the park, the last thing I wanted to face was a prolonged search for my car. Fortunately, I found it with relative ease.

Overall, I'm not a fan and will stick with M&F. I've tried TS twice -- true, under less than ideal circumstances -- but I'm done with it.

It was strange to arrive at the park at noon. I'm nearly always there for rope drop. In fact, several friends who also arrive early were already gone or on the point of leaving when I arrived. I didn't get to do nearly as many rides, of course. For an 8:00 opening, we'll do at least four FL attractions by or before 8:30. I rode Buzz several times with FPs but that option faded quickly. But about my fifth one, FPs were then issued for 60-90 minutes out.

I did ride POTC once. At 1:30, the standby line was shown as 45 minutes. However, as many of us know, official estimates are almost always high. I timed it from the time I got in line until I stepped into the boat. Only 30 minutes :-).

Just a few pics from that day.

I performed reasonably on Buzz. Didn't get much of a chance to do any further damage. Jim, the guy in fourth place, is a friend and that was one of his highest scores ever. Also, several of the CMs I'm acquainted with that work the ride weren't there. It made the day feel even stranger.
IMG_8850.jpg

Looks like some small refurb/construction was going on near HM.
IMG_8853.JPG

This sign is always up at the head of the path to the castle's left (as you look at it from the hub). It's useless and misleading, essentially, since it almost never seems to be true. Most days at rope drop we see dozens of guests flow into FL via this path even after assurances from CMs that it's closed. Certainly I and hundreds of other guests took this shortcut from Fantasyland to the hub later in the day.
IMG_8854.JPG

Around 2:30, the line for PP was the shortest I've ever seen it on a day like Sunday. It was hot and the park was crowded. Not sure how this happened. I didn't check the official wait time but I'd guess around 20 minutes.
IMG_8855.JPG

More ducklings.
IMG_8848.JPG

IMG_8858.JPG

Last edited:
I'm with you on the Toy Story lot. There are people who love it and say it's faster, but I don't care for it and I've never felt like it's faster. Parking at M&F is more streamlined. The M&F trams are faster and arrive more often than the TS busses. Security at M&F is faster than Harbor (although maybe Harbor is plenty fast now after the changes, and if they do add a security check to the TS lot itself, maybe it'll be faster). And above all, M&F is a much shorter walk that also has the benefit of being inside the bubble. (Sorry, rant over!)

Long story short, there was a very long line for the M&F structure. In fact, well before I could reach the front of it, the police closed it off, presumably because it was full. That was at around 11:15. My only other option was to head for TS.

After quite a few weekend trips I've found that even when the Disney Drive entrance is close you can usually loop around and take the bridge from Manchester/Disney Drive into M&F. I arrived around 11:30 on Sunday and that was the route I took after realizing they had "closed" the lot, there was still plenty of parking in M&F.

Agree with you on TS. Whenever we get rerouted there from M&F, we know we're in for a 60-90 minute delay. And that's without waiting for the shuttles. By the time we make it through all the detour traffic and find a parking spot, we just want to walk to the parks. Usually we beat the shuttle and are in line at/or have gone through bag check before we see people who were in line arrive.

Agree with you on TS. Whenever we get rerouted there from M&F, we know we're in for a 60-90 minute delay. And that's without waiting for the shuttles. By the time we make it through all the detour traffic and find a parking spot, we just want to walk to the parks. Usually we beat the shuttle and are in line at/or have gone through bag check before we see people who were in line arrive.
Well, trying to park at M&F and getting rerouted to TS is the literal worst. We did that exactly twice, back in the day, and I thought my husband’s head was going to explode before we even made it into the lot.

When I became a (more than) weekly park visitor a few years ago, I decided to figure out which parking situation went quicker. **Note that I’m getting off the NB 5, a huge consideration - no exit straight into the structure.** I timed myself garage-to-park-entrance five times for both Toy Story and Mickey and Friends, and Toy Story won by over 10 minutes - in all five comparisons. I have now parked in the Toy Story lot hundreds and hundreds of times - at varying times on varying days of the week - and I rarely encounter a long bus wait, and even the crazy long Harbor security waits were a rarity (and hopefully gone forever with their new set-up there).

I’m not trying to convince anyone to park at TS. I think obviously M&F works for the most people - that’s why it’s huge in comparison to TS! But (especially depending where you’re coming from) TS can in fact be the smarter choice.

... But (especially depending where you’re coming from) TS can in fact be the smarter choice.
I agree. On a normal day, when you are coming from south of the parks anyway, TS can be the smart choice. But when M&F closes, and the tsunami of rerouted guests hits, TS can be a nightmare. And, to add to that, apparently, no one alerts the Harbor bag check CMs that that wave is coming, so they don't get extra staffing or support. Communication really needs to be improved in this area.

I'm curious about the current construction situation at Mickey & Friends. Can you still walk to Downtown Disney from the parking structure? Also, is there a way for guests walking from Ball Rd to get to trams at Mickey & Friends? I heard there was going to be a bridge over Magic Way from the parking structures. But until that is finished, is there still a way to walk in and out of the area where the trams load? Thanks in advance!

I'm curious about the current construction situation at Mickey & Friends. Can you still walk to Downtown Disney from the parking structure? Also, is there a way for guests walking from Ball Rd to get to trams at Mickey & Friends? I heard there was going to be a bridge over Magic Way from the parking structures. But until that is finished, is there still a way to walk in and out of the area where the trams load? Thanks in advance!
You can still walk to DTD from M&F. If it's been a number of years since you've last visited, the walking path no longer goes along Disneyland Dr and the tram path like it used to. Now, you walk out of the M&F area at Disneyland Dr & Magic Way, go west on Magic Way, walk into the DTD parking area, and go thru security at the west end of DTD. I actually like the current path better than the old path, and once they add the pedestrian bridge, it should be an even shorter walk to DTD.

Also, last I knew, you could still walk to the M&F trams via Ball Rd, but haven't done that in a long time.

We just walked to/from M&F and DTD this past weekend -- easy! Same route as before: exit M&F at the pedestrian entrance/exit at the corner of Disneyland Dr. and Magic Way, head west on Magic Way to Downtown Dr. (the first signal), cross heading toward DTD and the DLH, choose which bag check you'd like to go through (either DTD on your left or DLH going straight). You can look at Google Maps to see how these directions work.
From Ball Rd. to get to the M&F tram: cross Ball Rd. at Disneyland Dr. heading south (make sure you are on the east side of Disneyland Dr. -- the parks side -- because the sidewalk ends on the M&F side), keep heading south to the first signal at Magic Way, cross heading west and go right into the M&F pedestrian entrance on the corner. CMs will guide you across the tram route toward the structure where you'll go through bag check before boarding the trams. Again, look at Google Maps to see how these directions work. This walk should take about 10 minutes from the Ball Rd. and Disneyland Dr. intersection.

Last edited:
I'm to the point I don't want to tell people about TS because I don't want others learning the secrets. I also think if you've had bad experiences with something, then you'll keep looking for them. I'm that way with the trams and M&F. Never had a good experience with either and I attempted both about a dozen times before I fully gave up on M&F unless I'm forced to park there. I refuse to ever use the tram again.

I do know I regularly was able to get to my car in TS and back to grab a jacket well before a companion who was in M&F. I also have the timing fairly down for when to arrive so that helps, but I do choose to park there and have parked there many times so I'm accustomed to it. I can generally guess the patterns.

But yeah... I really don't want people to truly learn the benefits of it if I'm being honest, lol! I'm greedy. Totally happy people not enjoying it ;)

I actually prefer the Toy Story lot but something to remember.....there is no bathroom until you park,wait for onthe bus, ride the bus, and THEN go thru security. That’s brutal for those of us who drink pots of coffee in the morning and have small bladders !

Thanks for the duckling pictures. Seeing them is always a high point of a trip to DLR for me.

Can someone give me a comparison between MF parking and Toy Story parking as far as the amount of walking needed? If you park in Toy Story and catch the bus, does the driver drop you off right where you get in line for the bag check? I looked on google maps and it looks like MF has you doing a lot of walking before you reach bag check.

Can someone give me a comparison between MF parking and Toy Story parking as far as the amount of walking needed? If you park in Toy Story and catch the bus, does the driver drop you off right where you get in line for the bag check? I looked on google maps and it looks like MF has you doing a lot of walking before you reach bag check.
Bag check is right at the drop off from the buses from Toy Story. M&F bag check is inside the first floor of the structure where the tram loading is. Walking at M&F is relative to where you are parked in the structure. Toy Story can be a much further walk to get to the buses depending upon what section you are parked in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter