TR from June 2017

hellocat2

Earning My Ears
My family and I returned recently from TDR (late June visit) and had an amazing time. We have previously been to WDW Orlando. The DIS forums have been a great resource and special thanks to AquaDame and wanderlust, whose trip reports were really useful in my planning.

Hotels – we stayed at Disneyland Hotel and Miracosta, 2 nights each. Hotel rooms and bathrooms were large by Tokyo standards, very clean, with small fridge, coffeemaker, etc. I found all staff were friendly and eager to help. If their English wasn’t good, they pulled in another person with better English. At Miracosta, we had a harbor view room which was great for watching Fantasmic. However, we did get woken up both mornings by castmembers practicing for the summer Pirates show, with music full-blast. It was kind of cool to see them practicing but it did wake us earlier than we planned which was annoying.

Restaurants – we dined at the following and enjoyed all:

Disneyland:
Center Street Coffeehouse (for breakfast, note: coffees are small and no refills)
Eastside Café
Plaza Pavilion
Queen of Hearts (this was our favorite)

DisneySea:
Horizon Bay Character Dining
Restaurant Sakura
Ristorante di Canaletto
Miracosta Oceano (breakfast buffet)

Kids meals – we ordered this a few times, it is usually the same combination of items at every restaurant – a fried shrimp, a hamburg steak with sauce, jello for dessert. It’s a lot of food for a younger child, but it gets repetitive.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for my daughter (6). I tried to book this online in advance but the website is Japanese only. After I checked into Disneyland Hotel, I walked down to the BBB located inside the hotel and asked for a reservation – they gave me one for the next day. We did the cheapest “Crown” package which was 9000 yen for hairdo, makeup and nail polish. It was fun, the staff were very sweet, and it lasted about 30 minutes. They also give you some extra makeup, a sash, and nail stickers.

Parks – we were at TDR from Sun afternoon through to Thur mid-day. Based on the crowd calendars, these were not high crowd days, but it still felt busy, particularly DisneySea. Even on a weekday with light rain, it still felt busy to me (maybe my threshold is too low!) so having a rough touring plan was useful. Overall I’d say Disneyland is better for younger kids (mine are 6 and 3) because DisneySea has fewer rides for this age group (minimum height requirements for Raging Spirits and Indiana Jones). We didn’t like Mermaid Lagoon as much, my 3 year old was freaked out by how dark it is. My kids enjoyed ToonTown at TDL more.

Happy 15 early entry – we found it immensely helpful to get ahead of the crowds. For TDL, only Buzz Lightyear is open at that time. Castmembers may hold you back in certain areas until the park opens. I waited in line for a Monsters Inc FP, and the FP machines only start working right at official park opening. For Sea, I think only Tower of Terror is open early.

Nemo Searider – I found FP availability ok until maybe noon. I liked the ride a lot. If you want to do Toy Story, that should be the priority at rope drop or FP. On the days we were there, FP ran out for Toy Story within an hour or so of park opening.

Big Band Beat at DisneySea – I entered the lottery and won. I loved the show – the musicians are really talented.

My brother had the same problem at Miracosta with the Pirate Show waking him up as early as 5:00am some days! He was very happy when we moved to the quieter Disneyland Hotel.

Our room at Miracosta faces the gondolas and was much quieter.

Thanks for sharing! We are planning a trip to Tokyo Disney in July 2018.

We got our airfare. We are working on accommodations, park tickets, and where else to visit.

Last edited:
What room type did you have at TDL? We are considering our options for our Jun 2018 trip. TYIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!