Trader Sam's question

Dumbo7

Mouseketeer
Please tell me why I should want to go to Trader Sams? I don't really get waiting 2 hours to get into a bar. Is there something special about it? We stayed club level at the Polynesian a couple of years ago and have gone to all the restaurants there. I find it underwhelming and dark. So tell me why you love it.

Trader Sam's has special effects and antics that are triggered when special drinks are ordered. It's fun, immersive and unique. IMHO, it's kind of like the Enchanted Tiki Room with a bar (but no singing birds) If you go at opening (or slightly before), you won't wait 2 hours to get in. We've never waited longer than 15 minutes. If you find Poly underwhelming and dark, it may not be the place for you. If curious, I'm sure you could find youtube videos showing the effects and antics.

Last edited:
We love to go there. The antics and effects are awesome and fun. We like to get the special drinks as we've been collecting the glassware. We went at the beginning of September and only waited about half an hour.

We arrived 30 minutes before opening and were the second family in. We spent about 1.5 hrs there. It’s well worth it!

IMHO, it's kind of like the Enchanted Tiki Room with a bar (but no singing birds).

This is a pretty spot-on description of Trader Sam's- its a special little place! We're locals and have gone a handful of times, usually we take friends there when they come to visit. We love it because we find it to be a lot of fun and pretty immersive! However, based on your original post, it sounds like that you really don't care for atmosphere of the Polynesian, or its darkness, so Trader Sams may not be a place you would like, so you would have to watch the videos of the place online to see if you would like that "vibe."

If you're looking for a quiet place with finely crafted cocktails, Trader Sams is definitely not that place. If you're looking for a lively place with lots of rum-based drinks where you may end up sitting and chatting with others (fellow tourists and locals alike) and lots of crazy antics (spoiler alert: you may get wet! lol), then Trader Sams may become your new favorite Disney bar!

I can say that we have never waited more than 30 minutes to get in, and definitely not 2 hours. Also, keep in mind that you're not actually standing in a line to get in- you are given a pager, so you can go to the outside patio and get a drink or walk around while waiting.

We never have waited 2 hours. We walked up 15 minutes before opening and were about 10-15 people back. Got a table for 4 with no problem. After 8pm, its 21+ so I suspect the wait goes down then and its one of few places to go to escape the youngins' at WDW. Definitely worth the visit if you're staying at Poly.

We like it because its unique and keeps things interesting. Whenever DH and I stop at a lounge for a drink, we both will often sit there and check MDE (or other things on our phone), have casual conversation even though we've been together all day, or just sit in silence because we're tired. At least at Trader Sam's, there's so much to look at and point out to each other, as well as all the antics from the staff. Fun and different atmosphere.

The number one reason to go would be if you want one of the very cool mugs they sell. I had to have a Nautilus! They can only be purchased there and are not available online (well, except on ebay with huge markups). Fortunately, if you do want mugs, and don't want to wait, just hit the patio. It's usually not that busy and they serve all the same drinks. You just can't see the special effects. I got my Nautilus there and found some new friends to drink it for me!

Hey if it's not your thing that's good, more room for others that want go to. I've had the pleasure of being a Trader Sam's Coast to Coast member, thoroughly enjoyed both Trader Sam's and plan to go back. But I also enjoy Tiki Bars in general. Trader Sam's is much more then just a tiki bar. They have much more then just Rum drinks, in fact I think part of the fun sitting at the bar is having the Skipper make you some specialty drinks that are off the menu.

The night at TSGG we sat at the Surf Board and ran into a current CM and a former CM that were cross country dating. There was probably 30 years age difference but we sat and talked Disney, life and the various drink and food options for a couple of hours. We all enjoyed the Disney antics around the Bar and got into it with everyone else when the special drinks were served. If you want to know about the antics Wiki has a whole bunch of info that is only a search away.

Our trip in January was a night that it rained and we got in to TSGG in about 45 minutes, after having some fun exploring the Poly and a bit of shopping. I walked into TSETB and got a seat after about 5 minutes at the bar.

That all said we also sat next to a couple at TSGG that was not into it, complained about the cost of the drinks, about the menu and all the antics. Obviously it was not for them, that's good too.

As I said after my 1st time at TS it's the most fun you can have at Disney as an adult with a drink in your hand.

I love Trader Sam's, I just wish it was a little larger. But one of my favorite places in all of Disney. Def get the Nautilus.

DH and I actually prefer the patio. We had amazing weather for our wedding/honeymoon trip late April/early May. We spent a couple of nights enjoying drinks out there. Now I've got DH on an expensive mug collecting habit

Like everything Disney you have to try for yourself to see what it does for you!

This is a must visit for us. The CMs are the best on property, the snacks are great and a nice break from the usual fare, the antics are truly funny and I am always down for a stiff cocktail after a long day in the park. The spikey pineapple with rum float is just the best :cloud9:

Because its fun! Its much more than a bar. The atmosphere is great. We sat at the bar instead of a table and the bartenders were hilarious. You could tell they were having fun.
As mentioned, with different drinks, things happen in the bar or from the bartenders.
We got in right at 4 and left about 5:45 and were one of the first 3 groups to leave.
Have only tried 3 of the signature drinks, but they were really good. Not cheap though.

I didn't get Trader Sam's at all. (No, folks just because you overpaid for drinks in funny glasses you aren't suddenly that funny)

For all the whining about "drunks" at Food & Wine the only place I have ever seen really obnoxious drunks was this place.

Maybe it was just the night I went but watching 50 year old men try to act like they were still 20 while getting wasted was not fun , just sad.

Did you go there later in the evening? We were there at opening time and didn't see any of that behavior.
I can see where that behavior could really ruin the night

I didn't get Trader Sam's at all. (No, folks just because you overpaid for drinks in funny glasses you aren't suddenly that funny)

For all the whining about "drunks" at Food & Wine the only place I have ever seen really obnoxious drunks was this place.

Maybe it was just the night I went but watching 50 year old men try to act like they were still 20 while getting wasted was not fun , just sad.

Sorry you ran into some drunks, but at any bar that is possible, though still unfortunate. Having been at both Trader Sam locations I didn't see anyone that was that inebriated at all and I've actually never seen anyone acting like that at any of the Tiki Bars I've visited. I see that far more at your average brew pub.

As for overpriced... If you are making a good Tiki drink with fresh ingredients and quality rum (and other spirits) you will find their prices in right in line, if not a bit lower. I grabbed a few prices of a Ma Tai (very classic Tiki drink) and Trader Sam's was pretty much right in the middle. The mugs are optional, and as popular as they are and the fact they run out of them often I'd say many people enjoy the souvenir. Hey why not have a Zombie Mug instead of another Disney T-shirt? ;)

If you're not into the tiki drinks or mugs or scene that is your call, but that's the great thing in the world we don't all have to like the same things.

Mai Tai
Tiki Cat (Kansas City) $10
The Grass Skirt (San Diego) $10
Adrift (Denver) $11
Trader Sam’s (Orlando) $12
Undertow (Phoenix) $12
Three Dots and a Dash (Chicago) $15
Mai-Kai (Ft. Lauderdale) $17

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!