Trading points for DCL through Davids

You're really just renting them and then they use those funds towards the cruise. Using points to trade for cruises is a poor value so this way you get a higher value for the points.

I have not done it, and although I would gladly rent my points through David’s, I would book my own cruise with the money.

One reason is my TA will give me an on board credit, I do not see any mention of that through David.

If one rents points he should pay income tax. Exchange points for a cruise wouldn't be taxable, right?

I have not done it, and although I would gladly rent my points through David’s, I would book my own cruise with the money.

One reason is my TA will give me an on board credit, I do not see any mention of that through David.

On David's website it states that they do give onboard credits.

We didn't book our cruise through David's, but we did use them to rent out our points and funded our cruise that way. We booked the cruise through Costco since that made the most sense to us, but I'm sure booking through David's is just fine.

Booking a cruise with points is not a very equitable trade, you can get much more cruise for your points by renting them out to fund the cruise.

If one rents points he should pay income tax. Exchange points for a cruise wouldn't be taxable, right?

Not an accountant, but I don't believe a swap is taxable. It could become taxable if there is a gain on it. i.e., if you rent the points for more money than the DCL cruise, you'd have to pay tax on the extra money returned to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter