• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Train from NY to Orlando

disneycrazed139

DIS Veteran
Has anyone here ever taken one of the Silver Service trains from NY to Orlando? I'm thinking about it and am wondering how these trips are--especially in coach service as the sleeping cars are outrageously priced. Any information would be appreciated. Do the coach cars have seats with footrests? How far do they recline? Are they clean?

Thanks!!

I took Amtrak from MA to FL last Nov. We had the Acela Regional from MA to DC, then had to switch trains to FL. Went coach the whole way and had no problems. The seats have built-in leg/footrests (almost like a recliner at home) and reclines about 3/4 of the way. I found the train itself to be clean and a relaxing way to travel. If traveling overnight, they do supply small airline pillows, but no blankets (I guess you can buy them, though). I brought an inflatable neck pillow and a light blanket and was fine.

Hope this helps...let me know if you have any other questions!!

Thanks for the information. We are really looking forward to the train trip. Do you happen to remember which train you were on? The Silver meteor, star, or palm? I was wondering because I know they're all a little bit different, even though they go basically the same route. Was there a roomy lounge car? Any entertainment on board? (in the lounge car--they claim to have a "hospitality hour") Also, do they have a jack where you can plug in a headset for a radio at the coach seats? Did you try a full-service meal? How was that? Can you really fall asleep in the chairs? Are they practically lying down when reclining? It sounds it from what you've said. Thanks!!

I believe the train was a silver star (#91 from Union Station to Sanford and further south). It had a lounge car (nothing fancy) with tables and bench-style seats. I don't remember and coordinated activities, but we didn't leave the station until 4pmish. They served dinner in the dining car which was a extra charge and I heard was good, but I brought my own food. As far as phone jacks, I don't remember. I brought my own personal stereo and headphones. The recliners do recline, but not all the way horizontal. I slept for a few hours, but not the whole night (I was just excited to get there!!). Hope this answers some of your questions!!! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter