Trained Squirrels?

SkylarKD

Mouseketeer
I was looking at some WDW planning websites and I came across a tip that said to look for the trained squirrels at Epcot. Does anyone have any more information about this?
::MickeyMo

I could be wrong, but I think there's a a difference here between trained, and accustomed.

Most of the wild critters at Disney are all probably so used to people that they'll come right up to you without hesitation.

I don't think they actually have a fleet of trained squirrels. :)

On that subject :) We have a squirrel at the Frontierland train station... I like to think she is trained... Everytime a train comes into the station she comes right up to the locomotive looking for peanuts (the engineers feed her). She is very persistent if she does not get her peanuts she will come into the cab and tap on your lunch box. If she comes up and you tell her sorry hunny we haven't gotten any, she will look at you for a minute and then leave. It is very amusing to watch. I guess she is just accostumed to us and knows that we will feed her, but it is fun to watch her come running for her peanuts and get upset when there aren't any :) LOL the little things that amuse us.

Several years ago, there used to be a squirrel where the World Showcase walkway splits off to left and right. Apparently the squirrel developed a special taste for the hot nuts served from the cart.

I saw times when the cast member stationed at the cart was a bit afraid of the aggressive squirrel, but continued to offer snacks.

If this is what the mention referred to, the squirrel(s) were definitely not trained from what I saw. Neither were the cast members.

Originally posted by LibertyBelle
On that subject :) We have a squirrel at the Frontierland train station... I like to think she is trained... Everytime a train comes into the station she comes right up to the locomotive looking for peanuts (the engineers feed her). She is very persistent if she does not get her peanuts she will come into the cab and tap on your lunch box. If she comes up and you tell her sorry hunny we haven't gotten any, she will look at you for a minute and then leave. It is very amusing to watch. I guess she is just accostumed to us and knows that we will feed her, but it is fun to watch her come running for her peanuts and get upset when there aren't any :) LOL the little things that amuse us.

That is too cute :tongue:

There used to be a very aggressive squirrel in DTD outside the Gourmet Pantry. I once saw it climb up on a table and try to steal a woman's sandwich while she was eating it! As neat as it is to feed them (and I'm guilty of it too) I really think it makes them fearless, and then problems can arise.

Just as an aside, my fiancée told me that I came off as snotty and know-it-all.

Just wanted to clear up that that wasn't my intention. In fact, the idea of Disney training squirrels and sending them out into the parks just made me laugh. :wave2: :wave:

My DD-9 found a squirrel at MGM where we got the kids' picture with Lilo & Stitch. I was amazed how close she was able to get to the little guy. That little critter had no fear. Being raised in Scouts, I have a healthy fear of all wild animals & would not let her any closer to the critter, but I have to admit she got within 2 feet of it, which a whole lot closer than I can get to the squirrels in my own back yard. Being in WDW, they truly have come accustomed to people....but stealing a woman's sandwich, well that's just plain scary! :eek:

SnackyStacky- I didn't think your comment was snotty, just kind of truthful. The EPCOT cast member I mentioned did not seem entirely comfortable with the "trained" squirrel running up her leg to get at the snack in her hand!

Of course, maybe the cast member is trained to act like that...

We had an encounter with one of these creatures in Epcot in the UK. This animal practically crawled onto my son's stroller to get a french fry. I am not a squirrel fan at all, so this was not entertaining to me. We've also had an encounter with some birds at MK. One knocked my DH upside his head and the other swooped down and knocked a bowl of ice cream out of his hand. It was the weirdest thing!!

Ann:earsgirl:

I've got a really dumb question. Do other countries around the world (the real world, not WDW) have squirrels? The reason I ask is that we saw some folks (adults) obviously not from around these parts trying to catch and/or pet a squirrel at Epcot one day. We were cracking up at them because they were acting like it was a dog or something. I guess you had to have been there, but it was so obvious that they'd never seen a squirrel before. So, what other countries besides the USA have squirrels?

Unfortunately, I do believe these animals at WDW have become way too acustomed to people. Everyone is guilty of feeding them a time or two, and I do believe they have adapted to that way of life, pretty much probably basing there daily routine on what may fall on the ground or someone might feed them. I actually had several squirrels and birds that I felt were a little too close to me, and while we were exiting the MK and going to where the resort buses load, a squirrel that was trying to get across the walkway ran across my foot while I was walking, it scared the s*** out of me!! A while ago there was a thread about the killer birds out there on the resorts and at the parks, I also was watching a show about WDW on the travel network, and one of the Cm's said they have replaced many food items due to a small animal stealing them, also there are "aggressive birds" by the POR. These animals have just become too used to us people.
Kim

If youre interested in the thread on the birds, then do a search and enter "killer birds"!:crazy:

Does anyone remember the cast member in Epcot who used to "walk" the duck? They would stroll along the bank right before you get to WS. We haven't seen him in years but used to get such a kick out of their relationship. We've asked a couple of times on our last visits but none of the cm's seem to remember him.

Originally posted by SnackyStacky
Just as an aside, my fiancée told me that I came off as snotty and know-it-all.

Just wanted to clear up that that wasn't my intention. In fact, the idea of Disney training squirrels and sending them out into the parks just made me laugh. :wave2: :wave:

Not at all - no worries! :wave2:

----

I definitely won't be telling my fiance about the 'killer birds'... he's not a fan of birds, especially when they get too close.

On another note, as I'm sure everyone knows, we have squirrels in Canada. I'm not sure about other countries/continents though!

Originally posted by jennymouse
I've got a really dumb question. Do other countries around the world (the real world, not WDW) have squirrels? The reason I ask is that we saw some folks (adults) obviously not from around these parts trying to catch and/or pet a squirrel at Epcot one day. We were cracking up at them because they were acting like it was a dog or something. I guess you had to have been there, but it was so obvious that they'd never seen a squirrel before. So, what other countries besides the USA have squirrels?

I think they have ground squirrels in Africa and sugar gliders in Australia :)

Actually, funny you should mention this ... my mom had a couple of clients from the Southern US (sorry, I forget which state) and when the first saw our Canadian squirrels, they were surprised. They didn't know that black squirrels existed ;)

I also had a co-worker a while back who went to Sweden (I think) and he said that instead of squirrels in the park, they had lots of little black rabbits. He thought it was the strangest thing.

The EPCOT cast member I mentioned did not seem entirely comfortable with the "trained" squirrel running up her leg to get at the snack in her hand!

I'm going to be working in food service when I get down there, and I gotta tell ya, if that happens to me I'll be the cast member screaming and freaking out like a nut case :earseek: Not a huge squirrel fan here :rolleyes:

I had an encounter with a very friendly squirrel in MK. We were eating lunch and this squirrel became our new best friend. lol It got right up on the table in anticipation of us sitting down! Good thing we weren't afraid because it kept trying after that too. Almost tried to make off with a fry or two but we were quicker. lol Now the squirrel didn't freak me out but there was this huge bird on another table staring at me like it was quite willing to peck my eyes out for what we had. I think my squirrel friend would have protected me though. :tongue:

Myst

Originally posted by LibertyBelle

How adorable. We had a squirrel at home very much like that. We called him peanut because he'd come up and if you'd say "do you want a peanut" he'd sit up for it. That was a number of years ago. Enjoy your little squirrel - she's got quite the life being able to live at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter