Training help/advice

Livelovedance

DIS Veteran
I’m attempting to start training more seriously when it comes to running. I decided to come here for advice from the experts! Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

To start, I’m not a brand new runner, I just don’t run a lot. I’ve done numerous 5Ks and 10Ks in my area. I‘ve done 2 Princess half marathons, but I ran those for fun (I’ve never run any other half marathons before). I have an Apple Watch and I usually use the Nike run app on the watch to track my runs. I know it’s not a watch for running and it’s not as accurate as a Garmin, but I’m satisfied with it. I’ve been fitted at a running store a few times. My favorite running sneakers are my Brooks.

My goal is to try to improve my speed. I’m registered for all 3 Princess races again this year. I have a 10K race that I usually run for POT just to get in that under 2:45 requirement. Now that it’s 2:30, and there’s a chance that race may turn virtual, I’m likely not going to have a POT but I’m okay with that. I’d like to improve my time for future races though. I usually use a jog/walk approach, based on how I’m feeling as I go, so I thought using the Galloway run/walk/run method with specific time intervals might be somewhat similar to what I already do (just with more precise timing). I looked into the Jeff Galloway training program on the runDisney website, but it’s a little confusing to me. When they give the chart with the pace and the strategy (ex: 9:30 - 10:45 min/mi: 90/30), are you supposed to go by the pace you normally run, or a pace you are working towards? I downloaded an app to try to keep track of the intervals (Intervals Pro), but I have to figure out how to set it up. Anyone have any experience with that one?

I like the idea of 2 short runs during the week and a longer one on the weekend, because it feels attainable. I just want to make sure I understand it correctly and don’t set myself up for failure.

Anyone have any experience using this method, or any other suggestions for methods other than Galloway? I only thought of that one because he’s the name you hear when it comes to runDisney, but I’m open to others. Any other advice?

:thanks:

Hi @Livelovedance! :wave2:

Feel free to answer the following questions on this thread or directly to me in a DM. Some people like to have their answers in public because it helps others see through the process, but likewise others prefer the answers in private because they don't like to disclose everything publicly. The answers to these questions help me get to know you as a person and as a runner, so that I can try and best give advice on your situation. Some of the questions are partially already answered before, but re-answering them will help me clarify some things.

1) What is your "A" goal?
2) What are some of your other running goals?
3) What are your lifetime PRs?
4) What are all of your race times in the last year? If any of the races had extenuating circumstances (weather, sick, super hilly, etc.) as to why they are not a good judge of your fitness please include that information as well.
5) What went wrong in your best races? What held you back from doing better? Did you feel the reason you couldn't go faster was because a) you were out of breath, b) your legs felt dead tired, or c) some other reason/combination of the two?
6) Have you had any recent injuries or do you feel over the long term you are injury prone?
7) If you've suffered chronic or a recent injury was the cause running related (because we want to avoid it then)?
8) How many and which days are you willing to run each week? How much time on those specific days are you willing to devote to running? (Most important question, so the more detailed response the better.)
9) What fueling do you do during runs? What fueling do you do after runs? What fueling do you do before you run?
10) Are there specific types of runs that make you feel more fatigued than others?
11) Why do you enjoy running? What is your motivation to run?
12) Why have you chosen the goals you've chosen?
13) What type of technology do you use to run? Treadmill, garmin, heart rate monitor, phone app run tracker, etc.
14) Are there any types of fuel pre-run, during run, or post-run that you like better than others? What led you to choose these items versus others on the market?
15) For races that provide splits, do you tend to be positive, negative, or even split? Why do you think that is?
16) What other training plans have you used in the past?
17) What kind of training have you been doing the last three weeks? Mileage, pace, etc?
18) If you run/walk. When you run about what pace do you do? When you walk about what pace do you do?
19) If I told you to run as slow as you can, how fast would you be running? This would be at a pace where you're barely breathing differently than normal walking. It feels like you're barely trying.
20) Most importantly, what is your upcoming race schedule? What/when is your next "A" goal race that you want to focus your training towards? Any known vacations or things to work around?

Once I know the answers to these questions, I feel like I can more accurately answer many of your questions above.

DopeyBadger can help you a lot and you may want to just follow his advice. If you want to follow Galloway and use his stuff on line, you really first need to do what he calls a Magic Mile that helps determine what you long run pace and intervals should be. A Magic mile is best run on a track and you are basically running it as fast as you reasonably can. You aren't looking to kill yourself or be ready to puke at the end, but you should push yourself pretty hard. Once you know your Magic Mile pace, you can use the Galloway site to figure out pace/intervals for long training runs.

I’ll answer here, hopefully it’ll help someone else!

Improve my speed. I'm not looking for drastic improvements but I'd like a little faster and more consistent pace. The main reason for this “A” goal is the change in POT requirements for runDisney. I usually run a local 10K for my POT for Princess weekend, and just make it for the 2:45 cutoff. I know my previous times won’t work this year, and I probably won’t find a race that isn’t virtual before the deadline, but I feel like I owe it to myself to accomplish the goal anyway.

I’d like to run my first marathon at Disney. Whenever I accomplish that goal, my next goal would be to go all in and accomplish the Dopey challenge the following year!

3) What are your lifetime PRs?
I don’t have an answer to this one. I’ve been running 5Ks for years, but I didn’t start paying attention to the time until a couple years ago when I found out about runDisney (which seems backwards because I don’t run any of those races for time, just for the experience!).

4) What are all of your race times in the last year? If any of the races had extenuating circumstances (weather, sick, super hilly, etc.) as to why they are not a good judge of your fitness please include that information as well.
June 2019:
5K - 40:44 - pace 13:07
10K - 1:43:11 - pace 16:36 (extremely hilly, very warm weather)
1 mile - 15:57 - (first ever run on sand)

July 2019:
5K - 40:00 - pace 12:53
5K - 39:55 - pace 12:51

August 2019:
5 mile - 1:01:55 - pace 12:23
10K - 1:13:30 - pace 11:50 (warm weather, but I pushed myself for a better pace for a POT)
5 mile - 1:18:32 - pace 15:52 (warm weather, ended up not running this race for me; I jog/walked with a friend who was a first time runner to help her finish her first race)

September 2019:
5K - 37:27 - pace 12:03

November 2019:
5K - 36:57 - pace 11:54

January 2020:
5K - 47:53 - pace 15:25 (cold weather, first run since November & plantar fasciitis diagnosis, less effort)

February 2020:
5K - 40:47 - pace 13:08

(Disclaimer - I didn’t include runDisney races, I spend too much time waiting in line for character photos and enjoying the moments!)

5) What went wrong in your best races? What held you back from doing better? Did you feel the reason you couldn't go faster was because a) you were out of breath, b) your legs felt dead tired, or c) some other reason/combination of the two?
My best race was when I pushed myself to try to get a better POT, and I think the only things that held me back were a lack of knowledgeable training, and the heat/humidity. The reason I couldn’t go faster was a) being out of breath. I have asthma, so running with humidity is difficult.

6) Have you had any recent injuries or do you feel over the long term you are injury prone?
I have plantar fasciitis in one foot. I’ve had an injury to that same ankle in the past that required PT, so it can get fatigued more easily. I also have tilted kneecaps, so I experience knee pain at times.

7) If you've suffered chronic or a recent injury was the cause running related (because we want to avoid it then)?
See above. On a related note, I teach and take a variety of different dance classes for approximately 15 hours a week (sometimes more or less depending on the time of year). The most recent injuries came from that.

8) How many and which days are you willing to run each week? How much time on those specific days are you willing to devote to running? (Most important question, so the more detailed response the better.)
My ability to put time into running changes based on the time of year. I was most recently looking at the Galloway training schedule from runDisney that recommended runs on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I’m willing to do those days for now, for approximately an hour each day.

9) What fueling do you do during runs? What fueling do you do after runs? What fueling do you do before you run?
I’m completely naive in this area. I don’t have a fueling plan or routine. If the run is early I usually don’t eat anything before hand. If it’s in the evening, I eat whatever I’d normally eat during the day.

10) Are there specific types of runs that make you feel more fatigued than others?
Not that I can think of.

11) Why do you enjoy running? What is your motivation to run?
I like that it’s something I can do for me. It’s mentally freeing and motivating. I feel accomplished when I complete a run. Even though I enter races, my motivation is never to beat anyone. I relate to Baymax (“I am not fast”). My goal is either to complete it, or to improve something about my run (time, feeling afterwards).

12) Why have you chosen the goals you've chosen?
I want to become better than I already am, and show myself that I can do it. My main motivation from question 1 was for POT, but only because seeing what corral letter my effort brought me to is a nice feeling.

13) What type of technology do you use to run? Treadmill, garmin, heart rate monitor, phone app run tracker, etc.
Apple Watch - Nike Run Club app and the Interval Pro app (I know it's not the most accurate but it works for my purposes. I used the interval app for the first time today and I was happy with it.)

14) Are there any types of fuel pre-run, during run, or post-run that you like better than others? What led you to choose these items versus others on the market?
N/A

15) For races that provide splits, do you tend to be positive, negative, or even split? Why do you think that is?
I haven’t noticed splits in races, but I tend to have negative splits based on the data from the Nike app. I usually start out slower. As I warm up and run more it becomes easier and I can go faster.

N/A

17) What kind of training have you been doing the last three weeks? Mileage, pace, etc?
I’ve been trying to go for walks more often, and if I’ve felt up to it I’ve incorporated some light running. These are the last two I tracked:

3 mi - 48:28 - pace 16’07”
4.05 mi - 54:05 - pace 13’21”

The 4.05 mi run was today using the Galloway method (from runDisney) for the first time with the Interval Pro app and the Nike app on my watch. I didn’t think to track the warmup and cool down separately, so included in this total time is the:
Warmup - 3 min walk, then intervals: run 10 sec, walk 50 sec for 10 min total
Run - Intervals: run 1 min, walk 30 sec for 30 min total
Cool Down - Run/Walk for 10 min, walk for 3 min

My splits were:
Mile 1 - 15’10”
Mile 2 - 12’22”
Mile 3 - 12’12”
Mile 4 - 13’21”

18) If you run/walk. When you run about what pace do you do? When you walk about what pace do you do?
Not sure.

19) If I told you to run as slow as you can, how fast would you be running? This would be at a pace where you're barely breathing differently than normal walking. It feels like you're barely trying.
Not sure. I’ve never calculated my pace before.

20) Most importantly, what is your upcoming race schedule? What/when is your next "A" goal race that you want to focus your training towards? Any known vacations or things to work around?
Future races I’m registered for have turned virtual for now, which led me to look into a training plan to use to count towards those virtual races. Princess weekend (all 3 races) is all I have scheduled for now, but I'm hoping more regular races will open up in the fall or winter. No known vacations yet due to covid restrictions.

Sorry I don’t have the answers for some, but I hope its enough. Thank you for your time and advice!

DopeyBadger can help you a lot and you may want to just follow his advice. If you want to follow Galloway and use his stuff on line, you really first need to do what he calls a Magic Mile that helps determine what you long run pace and intervals should be. A Magic mile is best run on a track and you are basically running it as fast as you reasonably can. You aren't looking to kill yourself or be ready to puke at the end, but you should push yourself pretty hard. Once you know your Magic Mile pace, you can use the Galloway site to figure out pace/intervals for long training runs.
Thank you for the explanation, that makes more sense. I’m not stuck on Galloway, I considered it because of the training programs on the runDisney site. I’m open to hearing any and all advice, and I’m looking forward to hearing answers and advice from @DopeyBadger !

Alright, this is a great start!

Improve my speed. I'm not looking for drastic improvements but I'd like a little faster and more consistent pace. The main reason for this “A” goal is the change in POT requirements for runDisney. I usually run a local 10K for my POT for Princess weekend, and just make it for the 2:45 cutoff. I know my previous times won’t work this year, and I probably won’t find a race that isn’t virtual before the deadline, but I feel like I owe it to myself to accomplish the goal anyway.

I’d like to run my first marathon at Disney. Whenever I accomplish that goal, my next goal would be to go all in and accomplish the Dopey challenge the following year!

Those sound like great goals. Definitely achievable with the right mindset!

June 2019:
5K - 40:44 - pace 13:07
10K - 1:43:11 - pace 16:36 (extremely hilly, very warm weather)
1 mile - 15:57 - (first ever run on sand)

July 2019:
5K - 40:00 - pace 12:53
5K - 39:55 - pace 12:51

August 2019:
5 mile - 1:01:55 - pace 12:23
10K - 1:13:30 - pace 11:50 (warm weather, but I pushed myself for a better pace for a POT)
5 mile - 1:18:32 - pace 15:52 (warm weather, ended up not running this race for me; I jog/walked with a friend who was a first time runner to help her finish her first race)

September 2019:
5K - 37:27 - pace 12:03

November 2019:
5K - 36:57 - pace 11:54

January 2020:
5K - 47:53 - pace 15:25 (cold weather, first run since November & plantar fasciitis diagnosis, less effort)

February 2020:
5K - 40:47 - pace 13:08

(Disclaimer - I didn’t include runDisney races, I spend too much time waiting in line for character photos and enjoying the moments!)

The 10k of 1:13:30 is the clear best performance of the bunch, but it also did occur about a year ago. Do you think your current fitness level is the same as that August 10k? If not, what do you believe is different between now and then? Did you do any different type of training during the lead up to that 10k? When you did this 10k, was it run/walk or continuous?

The 10k of 1:13:30 suggests the following:

The 35 min 5k is far away better than anything you've done recently. Would you agree that you pushed harder on the 1:13:30 10k, then you have on any other race? Do you think you could run a single mile faster than a 10:13?

My best race was when I pushed myself to try to get a better POT, and I think the only things that held me back were a lack of knowledgeable training, and the heat/humidity. The reason I couldn’t go faster was a) being out of breath. I have asthma, so running with humidity is difficult.

Does your asthma typically play a role in your other runs, or is it moreso something you encounter in your racing? Does it only occur during high humidity?

I have plantar fasciitis in one foot. I’ve had an injury to that same ankle in the past that required PT, so it can get fatigued more easily. I also have tilted kneecaps, so I experience knee pain at times.

Have you had a running analysis conducted by your doctor or PT? Something that might be able to flush about things in your stride that may be causes to your increased discomfort while running?

See above. On a related note, I teach and take a variety of different dance classes for approximately 15 hours a week (sometimes more or less depending on the time of year). The most recent injuries came from that.

Do you do the teaching every day of the week, or on specific days? Do you feel sore after the teaching, and if yes, then how long does the soreness typically last? If the soreness exists on the next day, has it ever effected how you feel during the run?

My ability to put time into running changes based on the time of year. I was most recently looking at the Galloway training schedule from runDisney that recommended runs on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I’m willing to do those days for now, for approximately an hour each day.

So since Princess 2021 is the "A" goal race, with a possible 10k if they're held along the way. How far in advance do you typically know when your running availability would change based on time of year? Do you know right now that 3 days per week with 1 hr per weekday (?) is how much you can do, but come winter when Princess 2021 training would start in earnest you could do something different? The reason for this question is an attempt to not only look at this current upcoming training season but the one that follows it. Such that you can use the time between now and Princess 2021 to have successive plans that feed off each other. A macro-training sense.

So when you have trained for races in the past, what have you been doing? 3 days per week? How many miles on the weekend? What's the most duration of training you've done in a week?

I’ve been trying to go for walks more often, and if I’ve felt up to it I’ve incorporated some light running. These are the last two I tracked:

3 mi - 48:28 - pace 16’07”

The 4.05 mi run was today using the Galloway method (from runDisney) for the first time with the Interval Pro app and the Nike app on my watch. I didn’t think to track the warmup and cool down separately, so included in this total time is the:

My splits were:
Mile 1 - 15’10”
Mile 2 - 12’22”
Mile 3 - 12’12”
Mile 4 - 13’21”

Not sure.

Not sure. I’ve never calculated my pace before.

One thing I'd like you to do, is just go for a simple walk. Even if it's 5-10 minutes. The pace at which you walk would be described as comfortable. Not a walk with purpose, but a "I'm walking through the Mall or Disney World, and soaking everything in." I can use that walking pace to build on the information from above for a 1:13:30 10k to get an idea as to how to break down the run/walk pacing. The walk pace is an important variable because not everyone who runs a 1:13:30 has the same walking pace. And to me that partially dictates how to create the run/walk durations. For instance, my 10k PR is 39:55, but my natural walking pace is a 20:00-22:00 min/mile. It's very common for me to get comments about how slow I walk, and that's just the pace for me. But I've worked with other people that put in the same "comfortable" walking effort and get anywhere from a 14:00-19:00 min/mile. So that natural easy walking pace matters when developing a numerical strategy. I can then input that specific walking pace into a calculator that I developed that melds the concepts of Galloway's run/walk with the physiological ideas of Jack Daniels continuous running. A hybrid plan of sorts. The values I come up with aren't set in stone, but rather a good starting place. Over the years, for the most part people have found that these initial paces are pretty good. But I guess the follow-up question is, do you want to do run/walk, or would you prefer to do continuous running? Either can be a successful method and I've found runners across the entire pace spectrum flourish on either methodology.

You've got 32 weeks between now and Princess 2021. So that definitely seems like two separate training plans to me. The halfway point would be around 11/2/20. The POT deadline is 11/17/20. So the dates line up to suggest to me that you would want to work on improving your 10k ability for the first training session, and then attempting to build on the improvement in speed by carrying it over into endurance for the Princess weekend.

Your 1:13:30 10k PR is 5.5 minutes away from the new cutoff of 1:08. So you need an improvement of about 7.5% in the next 16 weeks. That's not a small improvement. What if I said your chances of a 7.5% improvement on 3 days per week with weekday 1 hr cap was about a 10% chance, but a 4 days per week with weekday 1 hr cap was a 25% chance. Would that increase in chance be worth the extra time to you? And answering "no" is absolutely fine, as I believe having running fit around your life is a better long term choice than trying to fit your life around running.

This is all great stuff and very helpful in seeing a pathway for you. I'll be interested to hear your answers to the follow-up questions.

Alright, this is a great start!
:cheer2:

Those sound like great goals. Definitely achievable with the right mindset!

The 10k of 1:13:30 is the clear best performance of the bunch, but it also did occur about a year ago. Do you think your current fitness level is the same as that August 10k? If not, what do you believe is different between now and then? Did you do any different type of training during the lead up to that 10k? When you did this 10k, was it run/walk or continuous?

I'd say my current fitness level is the same. I do about the same activity wise as I did then. I think the only difference at that time was my desire to get a good finish time. I don't usually push myself like that in other races. I used a run/walk for that 10K.

The 10k of 1:13:30 suggests the following:

View attachment 507299

The 35 min 5k is far away better than anything you've done recently. Would you agree that you pushed harder on the 1:13:30 10k, then you have on any other race? Do you think you could run a single mile faster than a 10:13?
I definitely pushed harder on that 10K than I have for any other race. I don't think I could run a single mile faster than that, but I haven't particularly tried either.

Does your asthma typically play a role in your other runs, or is it moreso something you encounter in your racing? Does it only occur during high humidity?
The majority of the time it's due to high humidity, but the asthma is the primary reason I use the run/walk method. It helps keep the asthma under control.

Have you had a running analysis conducted by your doctor or PT? Something that might be able to flush about things in your stride that may be causes to your increased discomfort while running?
I've never had a running analysis, but your question reminded me that the reason I went to the running store the first time was because of the orthopedist I was seeing for my ankle injury. My ankle had gotten better, but I was still experiencing pain when running. I have flat feet, so he recommended the running store and with a recommendation for SuperFeet insoles. Not that this is related to the stride question, but the insoles and the fitting for running shoes did make a world of a difference.

Do you do the teaching every day of the week, or on specific days? Do you feel sore after the teaching, and if yes, then how long does the soreness typically last? If the soreness exists on the next day, has it ever effected how you feel during the run?
Specific days, but almost every day of the week. It changes each year, and rehearsals can change throughout the year. This year it was Mondays through Thursdays, and then either Saturday or Sunday. I'm not usually sore afterwards, but if I am it typically lasts a day, two tops. I don't usually run often, so I haven't experienced having soreness from that and then running the next day.

So since Princess 2021 is the "A" goal race, with a possible 10k if they're held along the way. How far in advance do you typically know when your running availability would change based on time of year? Do you know right now that 3 days per week with 1 hr per weekday (?) is how much you can do, but come winter when Princess 2021 training would start in earnest you could do something different? The reason for this question is an attempt to not only look at this current upcoming training season but the one that follows it. Such that you can use the time between now and Princess 2021 to have successive plans that feed off each other. A macro-training sense.
Right now I could definitely do 3 days per week, an hour a day. I could possibly do more than that, but I know at a minimum that is manageable. I'll probably know by late August what my availability is for the fall and winter. I'd expect to be able to keep at least 3 days, but it all depends on the schedule I'm given.

So when you have trained for races in the past, what have you been doing? 3 days per week? How many miles on the weekend? What's the most duration of training you've done in a week?
To be 100% honest, I didn't train for races in the past. Not that I was someone who was in the "I don't need to train" camp, but I signed up for races to run. It probably sounds crazy, but I can admit to it! I usually don't push myself in races, except for the 10K discussed earlier. I was satisfied with just running, and doing it in a group environment with other runners. I'd occasionally go for runs/walks on my own, but running races was the majority of my running experience until now.

One thing I'd like you to do, is just go for a simple walk. Even if it's 5-10 minutes. The pace at which you walk would be described as comfortable. Not a walk with purpose, but a "I'm walking through the Mall or Disney World, and soaking everything in." I can use that walking pace to build on the information from above for a 1:13:30 10k to get an idea as to how to break down the run/walk pacing. The walk pace is an important variable because not everyone who runs a 1:13:30 has the same walking pace. And to me that partially dictates how to create the run/walk durations. For instance, my 10k PR is 39:55, but my natural walking pace is a 20:00-22:00 min/mile. It's very common for me to get comments about how slow I walk, and that's just the pace for me. But I've worked with other people that put in the same "comfortable" walking effort and get anywhere from a 14:00-19:00 min/mile. So that natural easy walking pace matters when developing a numerical strategy. I can then input that specific walking pace into a calculator that I developed that melds the concepts of Galloway's run/walk with the physiological ideas of Jack Daniels continuous running. A hybrid plan of sorts. The values I come up with aren't set in stone, but rather a good starting place. Over the years, for the most part people have found that these initial paces are pretty good. But I guess the follow-up question is, do you want to do run/walk, or would you prefer to do continuous running? Either can be a successful method and I've found runners across the entire pace spectrum flourish on either methodology.
I definitely want to run/walk. I'll try to get a walk in today and let you know the pace.

You've got 32 weeks between now and Princess 2021. So that definitely seems like two separate training plans to me. The halfway point would be around 11/2/20. The POT deadline is 11/17/20. So the dates line up to suggest to me that you would want to work on improving your 10k ability for the first training session, and then attempting to build on the improvement in speed by carrying it over into endurance for the Princess weekend.
I can definitely work towards that, but to be completely honest by November I probably won't find a 10K race to run for POT. That was part of the reason I pushed so hard in that 10K last year (and the year before that), because it's very difficult to find 10Ks. I have no problem working towards it anyway, because like I said earlier I'm doing it more for me at this point (especially with most races turning virtual), but I don't know if that fact will change your thoughts on training plans.

For the record, this was my timing for that same race in August 2018:
10K - 1:14:36 - pace 12:00

Your 1:13:30 10k PR is 5.5 minutes away from the new cutoff of 1:08. So you need an improvement of about 7.5% in the next 16 weeks. That's not a small improvement. What if I said your chances of a 7.5% improvement on 3 days per week with weekday 1 hr cap was about a 10% chance, but a 4 days per week with weekday 1 hr cap was a 25% chance. Would that increase in chance be worth the extra time to you? And answering "no" is absolutely fine, as I believe having running fit around your life is a better long term choice than trying to fit your life around running.
If the question is whether or not its worth it, the answer would be yes, but if I can guarantee I can make it work is a different thing. So in that instance I'd probably say no, but only because like you stated, I want running to fit around my life, not the other way around.

This is all great stuff and very helpful in seeing a pathway for you. I'll be interested to hear your answers to the follow-up questions.
Thank you so much for all of your time. I'm very excited for the next steps! As soon as I can get a walk in I'll reply again.

I'd say my current fitness level is the same. I do about the same activity wise as I did then. I think the only difference at that time was my desire to get a good finish time. I don't usually push myself like that in other races. I used a run/walk for that 10K.

Perfect, then we'll use that 1:13:30 as a starting point for determining the pace scheme.

The majority of the time it's due to high humidity, but the asthma is the primary reason I use the run/walk method. It helps keep the asthma under control.

Sounds good. Is there a particular amount of time and/or pace at which you start to notice the effect of the asthma? Like, "I can run for 5 min straight at a 14 min/mile, but then I start to notice my asthma." Or is it more undetermined in its occurrence?

Specific days, but almost every day of the week. It changes each year, and rehearsals can change throughout the year. This year it was Mondays through Thursdays, and then either Saturday or Sunday. I'm not usually sore afterwards, but if I am it typically lasts a day, two tops. I don't usually run often, so I haven't experienced having soreness from that and then running the next day.

Alright, well then what I'll say isn't we won't schedule anything to "plan for it" per se, but it's something you should keep in the back of your mind. If a running day comes up and you're feeling more worn down than usual, then run what feels like the same effort. In order to "learn the effort" you should try and memorize how everything feels along the way on "normal" days. Then when an "abnormal" day comes up, you know that the pace might be 30, 45, 90 seconds slower than originally planned and that's because that's what "feels" right on that day. For example, my easy pace right now is scheduled to be an 8:45 min/mile. But given the conditions right now, and how my overall fitness feels, an 8:45 min/mile doesn't "feel" easy. So I'm doing a 10 min/mile right now. The research by Tom Schwartz (of which he doesn't share) shows that you can train as slow as +5 min/mile to 5k pace and still reap the benefits to an easy day. So easy should truly feel easy. And if it doesn't feel easy, then it isn't easy.

Right now I could definitely do 3 days per week, an hour a day. I could possibly do more than that, but I know at a minimum that is manageable. I'll probably know by late August what my availability is for the fall and winter. I'd expect to be able to keep at least 3 days, but it all depends on the schedule I'm given.

If the question is whether or not its worth it, the answer would be yes, but if I can guarantee I can make it work is a different thing. So in that instance I'd probably say no, but only because like you stated, I want running to fit around my life, not the other way around.

Well then let's plan on 3 days per week. A well executed 3 day plan can outperform the gains made from an ill-executed 4 day plan. So I'd rather aim for the one you think you can do nearly 100%. And if things change down the road and you find that you can commit to more, then you pivot the training to account for that.

I can definitely work towards that, but to be completely honest by November I probably won't find a 10K race to run for POT. That was part of the reason I pushed so hard in that 10K last year (and the year before that), because it's very difficult to find 10Ks. I have no problem working towards it anyway, because like I said earlier I'm doing it more for me at this point (especially with most races turning virtual), but I don't know if that fact will change your thoughts on training plans.

Well let's just think of it this way then. On November 2nd (or thereabouts) you'll run a 10k. Whether that's an in-person race, or a time trial. Just commit mentally to it that on that day you're running a race. That way the uncertainty about whether races will occur in person or not is gone. Use that "race" at the end of training as a measuring stick data point. Not the end all be all. But a way to evaluate some of the progress made in the training plan. This way you can prove to yourself whether the 1:08 was possible at that point.

Thank you so much for all of your time. I'm very excited for the next steps! As soon as I can get a walk in I'll reply again.

Happy to help. As soon as I have the walking pace, I can formulate the run/walk ratios/paces and then can come up with some final ideas. At this point I'm thinking something like the following on a two-week rotational schedule:

Week 1
M- OFF
T- 60 min max (Medium)
W- OFF
R- 60 min max (Easy)
F- OFF
Sa- 60 min max (Hard)
Su- OFF

Week 2
M- OFF
T- 60 min max (Easy)
W- OFF
R- 60 min max (Hard)
F- OFF
Sa- 90 min max (Easy)
Su- OFF

Just got back from a two mile comfortable walk. Average pace: 20'14"
Sounds good. Is there a particular amount of time and/or pace at which you start to notice the effect of the asthma? Like, "I can run for 5 min straight at a 14 min/mile, but then I start to notice my asthma." Or is it more undetermined in its occurrence?
It's more undetermined. With the run/walk approach it's usually a nonissue, unless it's humid.

Alright, well then what I'll say isn't we won't schedule anything to "plan for it" per se, but it's something you should keep in the back of your mind. If a running day comes up and you're feeling more worn down than usual, then run what feels like the same effort. In order to "learn the effort" you should try and memorize how everything feels along the way on "normal" days. Then when an "abnormal" day comes up, you know that the pace might be 30, 45, 90 seconds slower than originally planned and that's because that's what "feels" right on that day. For example, my easy pace right now is scheduled to be an 8:45 min/mile. But given the conditions right now, and how my overall fitness feels, an 8:45 min/mile doesn't "feel" easy. So I'm doing a 10 min/mile right now. The research by Tom Schwartz (of which he doesn't share) shows that you can train as slow as +5 min/mile to 5k pace and still reap the benefits to an easy day. So easy should truly feel easy. And if it doesn't feel easy, then it isn't easy.
That's great to know and makes perfect sense. I'll keep that in mind!

Well then let's plan on 3 days per week. A well executed 3 day plan can outperform the gains made from an ill-executed 4 day plan. So I'd rather aim for the one you think you can do nearly 100%. And if things change down the road and you find that you can commit to more, then you pivot the training to account for that.
👍

Well let's just think of it this way then. On November 2nd (or thereabouts) you'll run a 10k. Whether that's an in-person race, or a time trial. Just commit mentally to it that on that day you're running a race. That way the uncertainty about whether races will occur in person or not is gone. Use that "race" at the end of training as a measuring stick data point. Not the end all be all. But a way to evaluate some of the progress made in the training plan. This way you can prove to yourself whether the 1:08 was possible at that point.
Great! I'll keep checking to see if any open up as it gets closer. Otherwise I'll run one on my own.

Happy to help. As soon as I have the walking pace, I can formulate the run/walk ratios/paces and then can come up with some final ideas. At this point I'm thinking something like the following on a two-week rotational schedule:

Week 1
M- OFF
T- 60 min max (Medium)
W- OFF
R- 60 min max (Easy)
F- OFF
Sa- 60 min max (Hard)
Su- OFF

Week 2
M- OFF
T- 60 min max (Easy)
W- OFF
R- 60 min max (Hard)
F- OFF
Sa- 90 min max (Easy)
Su- OFF
Sounds great!

Sounds great!

Perfect! This is what I get for a 1:13:30 10k, and a walking pace of 20 min/mile.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 7.13.41 PM.png

The bulk of training will be at the easy/long pace of a 14:54 min/mile (based on Galloway M Tempo + 2 min). The calculator suggests trying a 120/30 interval set with the run pace around a 14 min/mile. The 14 min/mile pace falls around a 100% aerobic pace based on your 1:13:30 10k. So it should keep everything easy. I think we'll play around with 30 second run intervals around the 10:13 pace, and then the other type of hard workout is centered around the 10k pace of a 140/30 interval set. Thoughts?

Perfect! This is what I get for a 1:13:30 10k, and a walking pace of 20 min/mile.

View attachment 507488

The bulk of training will be at the easy/long pace of a 14:54 min/mile (based on Galloway M Tempo + 2 min). The calculator suggests trying a 120/30 interval set with the run pace around a 14 min/mile. The 14 min/mile pace falls around a 100% aerobic pace based on your 1:13:30 10k. So it should keep everything easy. I think we'll play around with 30 second run intervals around the 10:13 pace, and then the other type of hard workout is centered around the 10k pace of a 140/30 interval set. Thoughts?
I completely trust your judgement. I’m having a little trouble understanding it because it’s new to me. I’m running 120 seconds at a 14 min pace, and then walking 30 seconds at a 20 min pace? And keeping that set for the hour? Or am I following the distances? Sorry, I just want to make sure I follow it correctly!

(Edited because I forgot to quote above!)

Edit again: Just finished a half hour run (120 sec run and a slower pace than usual/30 sec walk with 5 min warmup and cool down walks). Not enjoyable. I found myself wanting longer on the walks, but I kept going to see if I could do it. Just playing around with different intervals until I start officially training. Tuesday I did 60/30 and felt good.

Last edited:
I completely trust your judgement. I’m having a little trouble understanding it because it’s new to me. I’m running 120 seconds at a 14 min pace, and then walking 30 seconds at a 20 min pace? And keeping that set for the hour? Or am I following the distances? Sorry, I just want to make sure I follow it correctly!

Don't worry, that's on me. We're still in the construct building phase. You're setting the rules of the training plan, and then I use those rules to design a daily schedule that is progressive from 7/13 to 11/2. So I'll provide you with something that is very specific on a day to day basis on what you should attempt to do once we've got things nailed down.

Edit again: Just finished a half hour run (120 sec run and a slower pace than usual/30 sec walk with 5 min warmup and cool down walks). Not enjoyable. I found myself wanting longer on the walks, but I kept going to see if I could do it. Just playing around with different intervals until I start officially training. Tuesday I did 60/30 and felt good.

What was giving you the urge for extra walking breaks during the 120/30? Was it a breathing issue or leg muscle burning issue? Was it an immediate thing you noticed, or did it take 5, 10, 20 min before it became an issue?

So correct me if I'm wrong, but you're comparing the following:

Tuesday was

My splits were:
Mile 1 - 15’10”
Mile 2 - 12’22”
Mile 3 - 12’12”
Mile 4 - 13’21”

If I'm to assume you were walking at a 20 min/mile pace during the 60/30 Tuesday run, then I calculate you were running at a 10:20 min/mile pace (or just a touch faster than what I assume to be your mile pace). If instead, possibly a quicker walk of an 18:00 min/mile, would yield a 10:38 min/mile pace which is still faster than your estimated 3k pace.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 8.14.57 AM.png

So on yesterday's run of 30 min using 120/30, what was the final average pace? Was it near the goal of a 14:54 min/mile? What were the splits of each mile like the Tuesday run? Did you feel like the walking pace was as comfortable as the walking pace during the test (and thus near a 20 min/mile). It would be interesting to see that 120 seconds at a 14 min/mile pace is less tolerable than 60 seconds at a 10:20 min/mile pace.

Don't worry, that's on me. We're still in the construct building phase. You're setting the rules of the training plan, and then I use those rules to design a daily schedule that is progressive from 7/13 to 11/2. So I'll provide you with something that is very specific on a day to day basis on what you should attempt to do once we've got things nailed down.
Oh perfect, thank you!

What was giving you the urge for extra walking breaks during the 120/30? Was it a breathing issue or leg muscle burning issue? Was it an immediate thing you noticed, or did it take 5, 10, 20 min before it became an issue?
I just felt tired. A little breathing but not a serious asthma issue. Could’ve been lack of stamina. I was trying to make myself go slower which somehow turned into a shorter stride instead of a slow pace, and that was difficult. I just don't know.

If I'm to assume you were walking at a 20 min/mile pace during the 60/30 Tuesday run, then I calculate you were running at a 10:20 min/mile pace (or just a touch faster than what I assume to be your mile pace). If in steal , possibly a quicker walk of an 18:00 min/mile, would yield a 10:38 min/mile pace which is still faster than your estimated 3k pace.

So on yesterday's run of 30 min using 120/30, what was the final average pace? Was it near the goal of a 14:54 min/mile? What were the splits of each mile like the Tuesday run? Did you feel like the walking pace was as comfortable as the walking pace during the test (and thus near a 20 min/mile). It would be interesting to see that 120 seconds at a 14 min/mile pace is less tolerable than 60 seconds at a 10:20 min/mile pace.

The 30 min run using 120/30 was this morning. I had a little trouble with the Nike app and the Interval app this morning. Apparently I started them in the wrong order, so one stopped when I started the other, so I had to stop and restart. When I finally got it figured out these were the stats from the Nike app:
1.96 mi
Avg Pace = 13'08"
Time = 25:51
Splits:
Mile 1 = Avg Pace 12'02"
.06 = Avg Pace 14'17"

Compared to Tuesday (including the warmup and cool down):
4.05 mi
Avg Pace = 13'21"
Time = 54:05
Splits:
Mile 1 = Avg Pace 15'10"
Mile 2 = Avg Pace 12'22"
Mile 3 = Avg Pace 12'12"
Mile 4 = Avg Pace 13'21"
0.05 = Avg Pace 20'05"
I think the biggest difference in the feeling is on Tuesday, I felt great and could've kept going. Today I was counting how may runs I had left and I was happy to be done.

I just discovered the Interval app gives stats on each interval. Not sure how accurate it is, but perhaps it will be helpful as well:

Tuesday Morning Run (minus the warmup and cool down):
Total Time = 30:02
Distance = 2.43mi
Avg Pace = 12:20/mi
Intervals (60/30)
1. Run = 443 ft, 12:07/mi
2. Walk = 180 ft, 14:37/mi
3. Run = 489 ft, 10:48/mi
4. Walk = 164 ft, 16:05/mi
5. Run = 482 ft, 10:56/mi
6. Walk = 164 ft, 16:05/mi
7. Run = 453 ft, 11:39/mi
8. Walk = 171 ft, 15:28/mi
9. Run = 482 ft, 10:56/mi
10. Walk = 164 ft, 16:05/mi
11. Run = 466 ft, 11:20/mi
12. Walk = 161 ft, 16:25/mi
13. Run = 476 ft, 11:05/mi
14. Walk = 161 ft, 16:25/mi
15. Run = 469 ft, 11:15/mi
16. Walk = 174 ft, 15:10/mi
17. Run = 453 ft, 11:39/mi
18. Walk = 180 ft, 14:37/mi
19. Run = 453 ft, 11:39/mi
20. Walk = 180 ft, 14:37/mi
21. Run = 456 ft, 11:34/mi
22. Walk = 187 ft, 14:07/mi
23. Run = 472 ft, 11:10/mi
24. Walk = 171 ft, 15:28/mi
25. Run = 449 ft, 11:44/mi
26. Walk = 167 ft, 15:46/mi
27. Run = 466 ft, 11:20/mi
28. Walk = 171 ft, 15:28/mi
29. Run = 469 ft, 11:15/mi
30. Walk = 174 ft, 15:10/mi
31. Run = 469 ft, 11:15/mi
32. Walk = 177 ft, 14:54/mi
33. Run = 469 ft, 11:15/mi
34. Walk = 167 ft, 15:46/mi
35. Run = 489 ft, 10:48/mi
36. Walk = 187 ft, 14:07/mi
37. Run = 476 ft, 11:05/mi
38. Walk = 177 ft, 14:54/mi
39. Run = 515 ft, 10:15/mi
40. Walk = 174 ft, 15:10/mi

Thursday Morning Run (plus the cool down) (side note, it was warmer than Tuesday so that could be a part of it too):
Total Time = 25:09
Distance = 1.93mi
Avg Pace = 13:02/mi
Intervals (120/30)
1. Warmup Walk (I skipped ahead because I had already done it before the glitch I had with the 2 apps) = 00:00:09, 20 ft, 40:14/mi
2. Run = 0.19 mi, 10:20/mi
3. Walk = 171 ft, 15:28/mi
4. Run = 0.18 mi, 10:59/mi
5. Walk = 164 ft, 16:05/mi
6. Run = 0.17 mi, 11:27/mi
7. Walk = 157 ft, 16:45/mi
8. Run = 0.18 ft, 11:20/mi
9. Walk = 154 ft, 17:07/mi
10. Run = 0.17 mi, 11:34/mi
11. Walk = 161 ft, 16:25/mi
12. Run = 0.18 mi, 11:20/mi
13. Walk = 135 ft, 19:37/mi
14. Run = 0.18 mi, 11:15/mi
15. Walk = 128 ft, 20:37/mi
16. Run = 0.18 mi, 11:12/mi
17. Walk = 161 ft, 16:25/mi
18. Cool Down (walk only) = 0.26 mi, 19:09/mi

I just felt tired. A little breathing but not a serious asthma issue. Could’ve been lack of stamina. I was trying to make myself go slower which somehow turned into a shorter stride instead of a slow pace, and that was difficult. I just don't know.

So one thing to keep in mind is that the Tuesday run and Thursday run are not direct comparisons against each other of 60/30 vs 120/30. Because the confounding factor between them is that Tuesday occurred first. The Tuesday workout was like 30ish minutes of HM Tempo. Which in of itself is not necessarily a light workout. So it will require some recovery from it. So to turn around and attempt another 20-25 minutes of HM Tempo 48 hrs later isn't going to feel terribly fresh. So that's probably playing some role in the evaluation of how you felt.

Admittedly, it's tough to go slow and easy. I've worked with hundreds of runners now, and nearly all tell me initially that the pace I schedule for easy is too slow. Even when I personally adopted this methodology in mid-2015, I also said to myself, you want me to go how slow? If felt awkward at first given years of experience otherwise. But me, like almost all others, found that after 2-3 weeks of giving it an honest chance, the slower pace does start to sink in. If you're doing it right, then the easy pacing should feel like you're literally doing nothing. So ridiculously easy you could do it infinitely. Almost everyday I'll come home from an easy day feeling like I didn't even really workout that day. That's how you know you're doing it right. It then follows, if I'm almost always going so ridiculously slow in training, how can I possibly get faster on race day? Science. Well, there's more to it than that. But science is the name of the game. Train slow to race fast. I didn't come up with the slogan, but when I personally adopted it my PRs dropped like a rock and continue to do so now 11,000 miles and 8 total years later despite all the hurdles in my way. And I've seen the same type progression from many many others. Not all following the same pathway as me, but at its core we all train slow.

So really give it a really hard try for the next few weeks and see if you can get that running pace to drop from the 11s to the 14s. And that average pace to drop from the 12s down to the 15s. That'll be key in terms of the progression. The #1 thing I see when people falter in their progression almost always stems back to taking the easy day too hard, and has less to do with how well they performed on the hard days.

I just discovered the Interval app gives stats on each interval. Not sure how accurate it is, but perhaps it will be helpful as well:

Tuesday Morning Run (minus the warmup and cool down):
Total Time = 30:02
Distance = 2.43mi
Avg Pace = 12:20/mi
Intervals (60/30)
1. Run = 443 ft, 12:07/mi
2. Walk = 180 ft, 14:37/mi
3. Run = 489 ft, 10:48/mi
4. Walk = 164 ft, 16:05/mi
5. Run = 482 ft, 10:56/mi
6. Walk = 164 ft, 16:05/mi
7. Run = 453 ft, 11:39/mi
8. Walk = 171 ft, 15:28/mi
9. Run = 482 ft, 10:56/mi
10. Walk = 164 ft, 16:05/mi
11. Run = 466 ft, 11:20/mi
12. Walk = 161 ft, 16:25/mi
13. Run = 476 ft, 11:05/mi
14. Walk = 161 ft, 16:25/mi
15. Run = 469 ft, 11:15/mi
16. Walk = 174 ft, 15:10/mi
17. Run = 453 ft, 11:39/mi
18. Walk = 180 ft, 14:37/mi
19. Run = 453 ft, 11:39/mi
20. Walk = 180 ft, 14:37/mi
21. Run = 456 ft, 11:34/mi
22. Walk = 187 ft, 14:07/mi
23. Run = 472 ft, 11:10/mi
24. Walk = 171 ft, 15:28/mi
25. Run = 449 ft, 11:44/mi
26. Walk = 167 ft, 15:46/mi
27. Run = 466 ft, 11:20/mi
28. Walk = 171 ft, 15:28/mi
29. Run = 469 ft, 11:15/mi
30. Walk = 174 ft, 15:10/mi
31. Run = 469 ft, 11:15/mi
32. Walk = 177 ft, 14:54/mi
33. Run = 469 ft, 11:15/mi
34. Walk = 167 ft, 15:46/mi
35. Run = 489 ft, 10:48/mi
36. Walk = 187 ft, 14:07/mi
37. Run = 476 ft, 11:05/mi
38. Walk = 177 ft, 14:54/mi
39. Run = 515 ft, 10:15/mi
40. Walk = 174 ft, 15:10/mi

Thursday Morning Run (plus the cool down) (side note, it was warmer than Tuesday so that could be a part of it too):
Total Time = 25:09
Distance = 1.93mi
Avg Pace = 13:02/mi
Intervals (120/30)
1. Warmup Walk (I skipped ahead because I had already done it before the glitch I had with the 2 apps) = 00:00:09, 20 ft, 40:14/mi
2. Run = 0.19 mi, 10:20/mi
3. Walk = 171 ft, 15:28/mi
4. Run = 0.18 mi, 10:59/mi
5. Walk = 164 ft, 16:05/mi
6. Run = 0.17 mi, 11:27/mi
7. Walk = 157 ft, 16:45/mi
8. Run = 0.18 ft, 11:20/mi
9. Walk = 154 ft, 17:07/mi
10. Run = 0.17 mi, 11:34/mi
11. Walk = 161 ft, 16:25/mi
12. Run = 0.18 mi, 11:20/mi
13. Walk = 135 ft, 19:37/mi
14. Run = 0.18 mi, 11:15/mi
15. Walk = 128 ft, 20:37/mi
16. Run = 0.18 mi, 11:12/mi
17. Walk = 161 ft, 16:25/mi
18. Cool Down (walk only) = 0.26 mi, 19:09/mi

So how did the walking pace feel during the tail end of Thursday's run? Because that was more like the 20 min/mile from the test run. Did the 17ish min/mile also feel like a very comfortable walking pace? Because if so, then a 17:00 min/mile walk translates to the following pace scheme:

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 12.50.19 PM.png

Which suddenly has that potentially more desirable 60/30 for your easy day. The key being that your run pace still needs to drop from 11s down to 14s to ensure an actually easy pace.

Alright, here is my first attempt at a schedule for the next 16 weeks. Again, this is specific for you and your situation and doesn't necessarily mean it will work well for someone else who decides to look at it. Others are welcome to view it, but it being a custom plan means I took into consideration all the details along the way to try and craft this.

Instructions
If you see something you don't like let me know. A training plan is only as good as how willing you are to do it. So if you don't like something, I want to change it because I want you to maximize getting better. Please let me know if I got your scheduling correct for the weekends both pre and post.

This is a normal length plan between now and the 10k TT, so I anticipate we might make changes along the way. Paces up or down, switching up days and such. What we need to see is how your body reacts and adapts to the training as designed. So the more feedback you can give me the sooner we can pivot if necessary. We need to be very cognizant of any "feelings" that go awry because they could be early signs that something is amiss. Primarily, I try and stick to 25-30% or less for the longest run of the week as the % total of the weekly mileage.

Training Plan
Please let me know if you feel it is too much or too little (either in pacing, time, mileage, days of the week, etc.) Now for my explanations.

My philosophy on developing a training plan is based on these principles:

1) Keep an 80% Easy / 20% Hard split.
2) Have the longest run in a week not exceed 35%. *not possible on 3 days per week.
3) Never exceed 2:30 hours in a training run. *up to 3 hrs for run/walk has worked well thus far as a maximum and still yielding expected results.
4) Use Arthur Lydiard method of specialization.

So, some logistics.

How to read the schedule

The "Pacing Code" describes all of the different paces used for different types of runs. The dates are written with Monday-Sunday. The codes next to the listed days correlate with the pacing code. The prescribed training for the day appears underneath the "Sunday date". If it just says 4 mi, then do 4 miles at the prescribed pace. The easy/hard columns are the separation of types of workouts to help visualize the balance in the plan. The % easy/hard are represented near the end of the line.

The yellow boxes represent the total miles for the week. The red number represents the % of the longest run of the week relative to the total miles completed.

Red runs - These are Galloway Magic Mile runs. These are a way to gauge fitness along the way. We've determined your pace tree based on what we believe to be your current fitness level. Theses MMs will allow us more data to use to evaluate whether we need to make changes. You should plan to warm up for 10-20 min with very very easy running before doing the MMs. You may even consider doing 1-2 very short strides (pick ups of 10-20 seconds of pace) prior to doing the MM. During the MM, the goal is to give a 95% effort level. Not completely maxed out, but very hard. You can take rest breaks if you need them, but the goal is to complete the mile as fast as you can using whatever method you feel like you need.

Green runs - These are nutrition strategy runs. These are the only runs that you should take in any carb source. If the run is warm/hot you are allowed to take in (and suggested to do so) electrolytes. But keep the carbs to only the runs in green. Taking in any carbs when the training run is less than 90 minutes is a dampener of adaptations because it doesn't teach your body to run on fat. However, runs longer than 90 minutes require carbs because you start to increase necessary recovery time the more you starve the muscles.

The description is the key box telling you exactly what you should do on a given day.

Pacing

The pacing prescribed is solid. As an example, If I said to run 5 miles @ Easy/Long Run, then the goal is to run each individual mile at 14:52. If you were to start this workout and the 1st LR mile was completed in 15:52, the goal is to run the 2nd in 14:52. We don't want to sacrifice the 2nd mile to make the average 14:52 (i.e. don't run 13:52 to make up for the 15:52). I give myself windows based on the type of run:

10k - +/- 10 sec
5k - +/- 5 sec
Easy/Long Run - +/- 10 sec

I also give myself a +30 second buffer on the first post-WU interval. I view each interval as a mini-goal. Can I run this mile in 14:52? Can I run this interval in 11:21? If I'm too fast it's a failed goal. If I'm too slow I can live with it, but I missed the mark on the workout. Doing every workout at the prescribed paces maximizes the benefits received.

I try to hit 80% of intervals in a "hard" workout and 70% of intervals for the week. I stopped scoring easy intervals, because the easy days should be easy no matter what.

I tend to pay attention more to "lap pace" than "instantaneous pace". Because your pace smoothed out over 800m is more accurate than an immediate assessment on pace (instantaneous) which is based on satellites really really far away. So when using run/walk, try to keep an eye on the pace of each individual mile and adjust accordingly. Be aware that running uphill is going to make you slower, and that's ok. And going downhill does not negate the uphill. So if you're on a hilly route, then it's expected that your final average pace should be slower than what was originally scheduled.

Something to keep in mind with the "easy" days. They should be EASY. They should almost never require that much effort. It is NOT a failure to run these 30-40-60 seconds slower if that feels right. Take easy days easy no matter the pace. Just don't let easy days get too fast because then they won't be easy anymore.

One thing to keep in mind as we move through changes in weather. These paces are scheduled based on your recent races (which may or may not be the same weather conditions as the upcoming training cycle). So use the following chart to give you an idea about pace adjustments necessary because of temperature changes. T+D is a nomenclature for Temperature + Dew Point. So a 80 degree day with a 60 degree dew point is a T+D of 140. The values below are a good starting point, but are in no way absolutely solid. Trust an equal effort under non-ideal circumstances.

http://maximumperformancerunning.blogspot.com/2013/07/temperature-dew-point.html

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 3.50.14 PM.png

Why each workout

Easy/Long Run teaches you to go the distance and for the most part should feel relatively easy.

The R workouts are meant to give you a taste of speed. The #1 goal for these is to have good form. You should run each 30 second split like you're trying to "catch the bus". So a "fast, oh crud I'm going to miss it" pace. These should not be run at a "I'm Tom Cruise and I need to save the world" pace. So controlled speed with good form. As soon as you start to feel your form start to suffer, the workout is done. So if you're scheduled for 10 intervals and after the 6th one you start to notice the form suffer, end the R and move to the CD (cool down at which is an easy pace). It does you no good to do the R intervals with bad form. Additionally, if you feel you need more or less time during the recovery interval (RI, again can be walking or easy pace), then take it. Because form of R is #1. It is meant as a neurological workout to teach your muscles to have good form when running fast. Carry over those lessons into the other workouts.

The 10k pace is meant to teach you what run/walk intervals feel like at your current PR.

The 5k pace is meant to teach you what run/walk intervals feel like at what we hope you may be able to accomplish at the end of this training. This is atypical in my training plans, yet the 5k workouts are still written in a manner as to not exceed what you should be able to accomplish in this type of workout if 5k pace remains 5k pace and does not become 10k pace.

WU/CD/RI - All just easy efforts or walking.

Memorize the effort needed to complete each run. When weather dictates that the run needs to be slower, then continue to run at the effort equivalent to a different day that had good weather. This may mean that what was suppose to be 11:49 becomes 12:30. That's ok, because effort based running trumps paced based running. However, if you're feeling good and the weather is great doesn't give you the liberty to run faster. If prescribed 11:49, but equivalent effort feels like 10:30, run 11:49 and pull back.

As time progresses, we can re-evaluate your paces. But as we start out let's try these first. If you give the appropriate performance related indicators, then we'll make changes.

Important Techniques
One of the most important aspects of running long distance races is your running form.

Foot strike - The general recommendation is to have about 180 steps per minute or more. To have this many steps per minute, it forces you to take smaller, shorter strides and quicker foot movements. You can measure this with a phone app metronome or have someone watch you run and count. Many Garmins can measures this. Foot strike during the easy running (LR or EA) is still important for reducing injury risk by making sure it is light-footed. Don't force this too much. Gradually over time find your happy place for cadence with a nice quick stride. Having your foot fall underneath your torso is the most important part because overstriding tends to lead to injuries. So the 180# is more of a recommendation to try and move the feet quicker and more efficiently than the number itself. Think hot lava.

Breathing - Ultra important during long distance racing. The body needs the maximum amount of oxygen you can deliver during long distance running. During all of your runs try to breath in a 1 in + 1 in + 2 out pattern (i.e. in on left foot, in on right foot, out on left/right foot). In addition, these breaths in should be from as deep in your lungs as you can. Relax your stomach and this will allow for deeper breathing. You can also try a 1 + 1 + 3 pattern if you find yourself with injuries developing only on one side of your body as this might be related to extra force during exhaling/inhaling. I highly recommend forcing this breathing technique on easy days so that it becomes natural.

Shoulders - Try this right now. Stand up with your feet shoulder width apart. Interlock your fingers in front of your body and turn your hands so that you see the top of your hands. Lock your elbows, and slowly swing your arms in front of you until they are now above your head. Memorize how your shoulders/chest feel. Now release your interlocked fingers, but try to not move your chest or shoulders. This is your proper upper body running form. It may seem awkward now, but over time it will feel normal.

Arms - Arms should stay tight to the body with your hands closed but relaxed.

Eyesight - Keep your eyes up. Your eyes should stay at eye level or higher. As your eyesight drops to look at your feet you reduce your lung capacity by as much as 30%. Since oxygen is so important to running, this decrease in oxygen can have a large effect on finishing time. I find this to be the biggest culprit when people say breathing is holding them back. Try to think of your jaw as jelly. Relax the body from the eyes on down.

The warm-ups are key for anything faster than "long run" pace which includes R, 5k and 10k. Essentially, there are two main pathways for the body to use oxygen to produce energy. The aerobic pathway is mostly used in slower running. The closer you get to the point where it becomes harder to breathe (Ventilatory Threshold) the more you use the anaerobic pathway. The aerobic pathway is more efficient and faster at creating energy, whereas the body uses anaerobic when the aerobic can't keep up (because you're going too fast).

The most interesting part between the aerobic and anaerobic pathway is that even though the aerobic is used mostly during slow running it takes about 6 minutes of running before it can be used. This means for the first 6 minutes we're stuck with the slow, inefficient anaerobic pathway. So if you don't do a warm-up, and you're running faster than "long run" pace you push the anaerobic pathway too hard. This creates a deficit in energy within the first 6 minutes that becomes harder to overcome. As this deficit starts to catch up with you in later miles, it causes our running form to suffer. When we get closer to your first race we'll talk about a detailed warm-up routine done prior to the race which is extra important in races.

So for you, the Easy/Long Run paces can all be started without doing any type of slow jog warm-up. I do dynamic stretching before all of my workouts and static stretching after my workouts. However, I don't like to make recommendations on stretching because the research I have read is that you're more likely to get hurt changing your stretching routine than if you did nothing/stayed the same.

Fueling

Just ask questions if you've got them. The key to remember is 2g carbs needs 1 oz water to absorb.

Diet

My philosophy follows that of a European style. Eat more at Breakfast and Lunch, whereas Dinner should be a lighter meal. Another key for endurance athletes is making sure we're eating enough food in general and enough protein. Protein is the building block of the muscle. Without a good source of protein in your diet, you might as well not be training at all. After sustained training in a depleted protein state the leg muscles will just start starving and breaking down. For me, I prefer eggs and chicken as my primary source of protein. They are both high in bioavailable protein (eggs higher than chicken) while being relatively low in fat.

My other philosophy on diet is to try and make smart choices. When choosing between a natural item and a processed store item, it's best to choose natural. I used to eat sliced turkey deli meat (it was still good but not great). Now I put a couple of chicken breasts in a crock pot with broth once per week and leave it cooking all day. Then I remove the chicken, shred it, and wa-laa I've got healthier lunch meat made with little effort and in about half the price.

Lastly, I used to use chocolate milk after every run (8-16 oz milk with Nesquik powder). You can use commercial products instead of chocolate milk, but it gets expensive. And if something is only slightly better (commercial is better than milk), then it isn't worth nearly double the price. A carb protein ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 has been shown to decrease recovery time and rebuild muscle faster than nothing. I consume my chocolate milk within 15 minutes of finishing the run. In addition, I attempt to get a full meal within 90 minutes of finishing the run. If you consistently do the chocolate milk (or FairLife) and full meals within time, then you will see massive gains to your ability to recover between workouts and ability to store more energy in your leg muscles.

What can I expect?

A training plan is a fluid process. The more you keep me in the loop the more I can help you. The gains you make will be dependent on how well you can stick to the plan. Making adjustments is not a bad thing. If we have to shift the paces up/down, or the duration up/down it's not a sign of failure. It's a sign that we missed the mark on the plan. The number one thing to watch in your training is you should always feel like at the end of every workout you could have done "one more". That's one more mile or one more interval. This plan should not push you so hard you can't finish a day's workout, or start to see a "fade" at the end of a workout. If you see this let me know. We can always make changes.

Alright, that's all I can think of at the moment. Let me know what you think about the training plan and my ideas.

Billy

Attachments

• LiveLoveDance 10k 2020_07_09.pdf
    78.4 KB · Views: 12
Just saw your training plan post, but I still want to reply to your prior questions!

So one thing to keep in mind is that the Tuesday run and Thursday run are not direct comparisons against each other of 60/30 vs 120/30. Because the confounding factor between them is that Tuesday occurred first. The Tuesday workout was like 30ish minutes of HM Tempo. Which in of itself is not necessarily a light workout. So it will require some recovery from it. So to turn around and attempt another 20-25 minutes of HM Tempo 48 hrs later isn't going to feel terribly fresh. So that's probably playing some role in the evaluation of how you felt.
Makes a lot of sense. It's funny because I did plan to go slower, figuring I'd need to in order to make it through the 120. Clearly that wasn't accomplished... lol

Admittedly, it's tough to go slow and easy. I've worked with hundreds of runners now, and nearly all tell me initially that the pace I schedule for easy is too slow. Even when I personally adopted this methodology in mid-2015, I also said to myself, you want me to go how slow? If felt awkward at first given years of experience otherwise. But me, like almost all others, found that after 2-3 weeks of giving it an honest chance, the slower pace does start to sink in. If you're doing it right, then the easy pacing should feel like you're literally doing nothing. So ridiculously easy you could do it infinitely. Almost everyday I'll come home from an easy day feeling like I didn't even really workout that day. That's how you know you're doing it right. It then follows, if I'm almost always going so ridiculously slow in training, how can I possibly get faster on race day? Science. Well, there's more to it than that. But science is the name of the game. Train slow to race fast. I didn't come up with the slogan, but when I personally adopted it my PRs dropped like a rock and continue to do so now 11,000 miles and 8 total years later despite all the hurdles in my way. And I've seen the same type progression from many many others. Not all following the same pathway as me, but at its core we all train slow.

So really give it a really hard try for the next few weeks and see if you can get that running pace to drop from the 11s to the 14s. And that average pace to drop from the 12s down to the 15s. That'll be key in terms of the progression. The #1 thing I see when people falter in their progression almost always stems back to taking the easy day too hard, and has less to do with how well they performed on the hard days.

I will! I'll just have to work on running at a slower pace. I already decided to take running more seriously to make improvements and eventually reach my goals, so I'm willing to do what it takes to get there.

So how did the walking pace feel during the tail end of Thursday's run? Because that was more like the 20 min/mile from the test run. Did the 17ish min/mile also feel like a very comfortable walking pace? Because if so, then a 17:00 min/mile walk translates to the following pace scheme:

View attachment 507814

Which suddenly has that potentially more desirable 60/30 for your easy day. The key being that your run pace still needs to drop from 11s down to 14s to ensure an actually easy pace.
Both 17 and 20 felt fine. I think I'd be comfortable at 17. I'll let you know if that's not the case as I go!

Alright, here is my first attempt at a schedule for the next 16 weeks. Again, this is specific for you and your situation and doesn't necessarily mean it will work well for someone else who decides to look at it. Others are welcome to view it, but it being a custom plan means I took into consideration all the details along the way to try and craft this.

Instructions
If you see something you don't like let me know. A training plan is only as good as how willing you are to do it. So if you don't like something, I want to change it because I want you to maximize getting better. Please let me know if I got your scheduling correct for the weekends both pre and post.

This is a normal length plan between now and the 10k TT, so I anticipate we might make changes along the way. Paces up or down, switching up days and such. What we need to see is how your body reacts and adapts to the training as designed. So the more feedback you can give me the sooner we can pivot if necessary. We need to be very cognizant of any "feelings" that go awry because they could be early signs that something is amiss. Primarily, I try and stick to 25-30% or less for the longest run of the week as the % total of the weekly mileage.

Training Plan
Please let me know if you feel it is too much or too little (either in pacing, time, mileage, days of the week, etc.) Now for my explanations.

My philosophy on developing a training plan is based on these principles:

1) Keep an 80% Easy / 20% Hard split.
2) Have the longest run in a week not exceed 35%. *not possible on 3 days per week.
3) Never exceed 2:30 hours in a training run. *up to 3 hrs for run/walk has worked well thus far as a maximum and still yielding expected results.
4) Use Arthur Lydiard method of specialization.

So, some logistics.

How to read the schedule

The "Pacing Code" describes all of the different paces used for different types of runs. The dates are written with Monday-Sunday. The codes next to the listed days correlate with the pacing code. The prescribed training for the day appears underneath the "Sunday date". If it just says 4 mi, then do 4 miles at the prescribed pace. The easy/hard columns are the separation of types of workouts to help visualize the balance in the plan. The % easy/hard are represented near the end of the line.

The yellow boxes represent the total miles for the week. The red number represents the % of the longest run of the week relative to the total miles completed.

Red runs - These are Galloway Magic Mile runs. These are a way to gauge fitness along the way. We've determined your pace tree based on what we believe to be your current fitness level. Theses MMs will allow us more data to use to evaluate whether we need to make changes. You should plan to warm up for 10-20 min with very very easy running before doing the MMs. You may even consider doing 1-2 very short strides (pick ups of 10-20 seconds of pace) prior to doing the MM. During the MM, the goal is to give a 95% effort level. Not completely maxed out, but very hard. You can take rest breaks if you need them, but the goal is to complete the mile as fast as you can using whatever method you feel like you need.

Green runs - These are nutrition strategy runs. These are the only runs that you should take in any carb source. If the run is warm/hot you are allowed to take in (and suggested to do so) electrolytes. But keep the carbs to only the runs in green. Taking in any carbs when the training run is less than 90 minutes is a dampener of adaptations because it doesn't teach your body to run on fat. However, runs longer than 90 minutes require carbs because you start to increase necessary recovery time the more you starve the muscles.

The description is the key box telling you exactly what you should do on a given day.

Pacing

The pacing prescribed is solid. As an example, If I said to run 5 miles @ Easy/Long Run, then the goal is to run each individual mile at 14:52. If you were to start this workout and the 1st LR mile was completed in 15:52, the goal is to run the 2nd in 14:52. We don't want to sacrifice the 2nd mile to make the average 14:52 (i.e. don't run 13:52 to make up for the 15:52). I give myself windows based on the type of run:

10k - +/- 10 sec
5k - +/- 5 sec
Easy/Long Run - +/- 10 sec

I also give myself a +30 second buffer on the first post-WU interval. I view each interval as a mini-goal. Can I run this mile in 14:52? Can I run this interval in 11:21? If I'm too fast it's a failed goal. If I'm too slow I can live with it, but I missed the mark on the workout. Doing every workout at the prescribed paces maximizes the benefits received.

I try to hit 80% of intervals in a "hard" workout and 70% of intervals for the week. I stopped scoring easy intervals, because the easy days should be easy no matter what.

I tend to pay attention more to "lap pace" than "instantaneous pace". Because your pace smoothed out over 800m is more accurate than an immediate assessment on pace (instantaneous) which is based on satellites really really far away. So when using run/walk, try to keep an eye on the pace of each individual mile and adjust accordingly. Be aware that running uphill is going to make you slower, and that's ok. And going downhill does not negate the uphill. So if you're on a hilly route, then it's expected that your final average pace should be slower than what was originally scheduled.

Something to keep in mind with the "easy" days. They should be EASY. They should almost never require that much effort. It is NOT a failure to run these 30-40-60 seconds slower if that feels right. Take easy days easy no matter the pace. Just don't let easy days get too fast because then they won't be easy anymore.

One thing to keep in mind as we move through changes in weather. These paces are scheduled based on your recent races (which may or may not be the same weather conditions as the upcoming training cycle). So use the following chart to give you an idea about pace adjustments necessary because of temperature changes. T+D is a nomenclature for Temperature + Dew Point. So a 80 degree day with a 60 degree dew point is a T+D of 140. The values below are a good starting point, but are in no way absolutely solid. Trust an equal effort under non-ideal circumstances.

http://maximumperformancerunning.blogspot.com/2013/07/temperature-dew-point.html

View attachment 507871

Why each workout

Easy/Long Run teaches you to go the distance and for the most part should feel relatively easy.

The R workouts are meant to give you a taste of speed. The #1 goal for these is to have good form. You should run each 30 second split like you're trying to "catch the bus". So a "fast, oh crud I'm going to miss it" pace. These should not be run at a "I'm Tom Cruise and I need to save the world" pace. So controlled speed with good form. As soon as you start to feel your form start to suffer, the workout is done. So if you're scheduled for 10 intervals and after the 6th one you start to notice the form suffer, end the R and move to the CD (cool down at which is an easy pace). It does you no good to do the R intervals with bad form. Additionally, if you feel you need more or less time during the recovery interval (RI, again can be walking or easy pace), then take it. Because form of R is #1. It is meant as a neurological workout to teach your muscles to have good form when running fast. Carry over those lessons into the other workouts.

The 10k pace is meant to teach you what run/walk intervals feel like at your current PR.

The 5k pace is meant to teach you what run/walk intervals feel like at what we hope you may be able to accomplish at the end of this training. This is atypical in my training plans, yet the 5k workouts are still written in a manner as to not exceed what you should be able to accomplish in this type of workout if 5k pace remains 5k pace and does not become 10k pace.

WU/CD/RI - All just easy efforts or walking.

Memorize the effort needed to complete each run. When weather dictates that the run needs to be slower, then continue to run at the effort equivalent to a different day that had good weather. This may mean that what was suppose to be 11:49 becomes 12:30. That's ok, because effort based running trumps paced based running. However, if you're feeling good and the weather is great doesn't give you the liberty to run faster. If prescribed 11:49, but equivalent effort feels like 10:30, run 11:49 and pull back.

As time progresses, we can re-evaluate your paces. But as we start out let's try these first. If you give the appropriate performance related indicators, then we'll make changes.

Important Techniques
One of the most important aspects of running long distance races is your running form.

Foot strike - The general recommendation is to have about 180 steps per minute or more. To have this many steps per minute, it forces you to take smaller, shorter strides and quicker foot movements. You can measure this with a phone app metronome or have someone watch you run and count. Many Garmins can measures this. Foot strike during the easy running (LR or EA) is still important for reducing injury risk by making sure it is light-footed. Don't force this too much. Gradually over time find your happy place for cadence with a nice quick stride. Having your foot fall underneath your torso is the most important part because overstriding tends to lead to injuries. So the 180# is more of a recommendation to try and move the feet quicker and more efficiently than the number itself. Think hot lava.

Breathing - Ultra important during long distance racing. The body needs the maximum amount of oxygen you can deliver during long distance running. During all of your runs try to breath in a 1 in + 1 in + 2 out pattern (i.e. in on left foot, in on right foot, out on left/right foot). In addition, these breaths in should be from as deep in your lungs as you can. Relax your stomach and this will allow for deeper breathing. You can also try a 1 + 1 + 3 pattern if you find yourself with injuries developing only on one side of your body as this might be related to extra force during exhaling/inhaling. I highly recommend forcing this breathing technique on easy days so that it becomes natural.

Shoulders - Try this right now. Stand up with your feet shoulder width apart. Interlock your fingers in front of your body and turn your hands so that you see the top of your hands. Lock your elbows, and slowly swing your arms in front of you until they are now above your head. Memorize how your shoulders/chest feel. Now release your interlocked fingers, but try to not move your chest or shoulders. This is your proper upper body running form. It may seem awkward now, but over time it will feel normal.

Arms - Arms should stay tight to the body with your hands closed but relaxed.

Eyesight - Keep your eyes up. Your eyes should stay at eye level or higher. As your eyesight drops to look at your feet you reduce your lung capacity by as much as 30%. Since oxygen is so important to running, this decrease in oxygen can have a large effect on finishing time. I find this to be the biggest culprit when people say breathing is holding them back. Try to think of your jaw as jelly. Relax the body from the eyes on down.

The warm-ups are key for anything faster than "long run" pace which includes R, 5k and 10k. Essentially, there are two main pathways for the body to use oxygen to produce energy. The aerobic pathway is mostly used in slower running. The closer you get to the point where it becomes harder to breathe (Ventilatory Threshold) the more you use the anaerobic pathway. The aerobic pathway is more efficient and faster at creating energy, whereas the body uses anaerobic when the aerobic can't keep up (because you're going too fast).

The most interesting part between the aerobic and anaerobic pathway is that even though the aerobic is used mostly during slow running it takes about 6 minutes of running before it can be used. This means for the first 6 minutes we're stuck with the slow, inefficient anaerobic pathway. So if you don't do a warm-up, and you're running faster than "long run" pace you push the anaerobic pathway too hard. This creates a deficit in energy within the first 6 minutes that becomes harder to overcome. As this deficit starts to catch up with you in later miles, it causes our running form to suffer. When we get closer to your first race we'll talk about a detailed warm-up routine done prior to the race which is extra important in races.

So for you, the Easy/Long Run paces can all be started without doing any type of slow jog warm-up. I do dynamic stretching before all of my workouts and static stretching after my workouts. However, I don't like to make recommendations on stretching because the research I have read is that you're more likely to get hurt changing your stretching routine than if you did nothing/stayed the same.

Fueling

Just ask questions if you've got them. The key to remember is 2g carbs needs 1 oz water to absorb.

Diet

My philosophy follows that of a European style. Eat more at Breakfast and Lunch, whereas Dinner should be a lighter meal. Another key for endurance athletes is making sure we're eating enough food in general and enough protein. Protein is the building block of the muscle. Without a good source of protein in your diet, you might as well not be training at all. After sustained training in a depleted protein state the leg muscles will just start starving and breaking down. For me, I prefer eggs and chicken as my primary source of protein. They are both high in bioavailable protein (eggs higher than chicken) while being relatively low in fat.

My other philosophy on diet is to try and make smart choices. When choosing between a natural item and a processed store item, it's best to choose natural. I used to eat sliced turkey deli meat (it was still good but not great). Now I put a couple of chicken breasts in a crock pot with broth once per week and leave it cooking all day. Then I remove the chicken, shred it, and wa-laa I've got healthier lunch meat made with little effort and in about half the price.

Lastly, I used to use chocolate milk after every run (8-16 oz milk with Nesquik powder). You can use commercial products instead of chocolate milk, but it gets expensive. And if something is only slightly better (commercial is better than milk), then it isn't worth nearly double the price. A carb protein ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 has been shown to decrease recovery time and rebuild muscle faster than nothing. I consume my chocolate milk within 15 minutes of finishing the run. In addition, I attempt to get a full meal within 90 minutes of finishing the run. If you consistently do the chocolate milk (or FairLife) and full meals within time, then you will see massive gains to your ability to recover between workouts and ability to store more energy in your leg muscles.

What can I expect?

A training plan is a fluid process. The more you keep me in the loop the more I can help you. The gains you make will be dependent on how well you can stick to the plan. Making adjustments is not a bad thing. If we have to shift the paces up/down, or the duration up/down it's not a sign of failure. It's a sign that we missed the mark on the plan. The number one thing to watch in your training is you should always feel like at the end of every workout you could have done "one more". That's one more mile or one more interval. This plan should not push you so hard you can't finish a day's workout, or start to see a "fade" at the end of a workout. If you see this let me know. We can always make changes.

Alright, that's all I can think of at the moment. Let me know what you think about the training plan and my ideas.

Billy
This sounds great! You've taught me a lot already, and I know I'll only learn more and get better from here. I'm printing it out now and I look forward to starting next week! :thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter