Travel insurance for renting DVC points

lubob

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip for this November and we always rent DVC points. We live in NJ and are concerned the virus will spike again and we will be either quarantined again or be under restricted travel. When you rent DVC there are no refunds, so we are looking into travel insurance. Has anyone ever purchased travel insurance and could possibly give some advice??

There was discussion about travel insurance in the thread about David’s but so far, no one’s travel insurance has paid out. One person says they think their insurance will pay but i don’t think that poster’s travel dates have actually passed.

there was discussion that CFAR insurance also didn’t help because once the resort closed, it really wasn’t the insured cancelling the trip.

you would be better off booking directly through Disney if you want a guarantee of being refunded as long as you cancel within their cancellation deadlines.

There was discussion about travel insurance in the thread about David’s but so far, no one’s travel insurance has paid out. One person says they think their insurance will pay but i don’t think that poster’s travel dates have actually passed.

there was discussion that CFAR insurance also didn’t help because once the resort closed, it really wasn’t the insured cancelling the trip.

you would be better off booking directly through Disney if you want a guarantee of being refunded as long as you cancel within their cancellation deadlines.

The success of credit card charge backs suggests insurance requirements have changed.

We are planning a trip for this November and we always rent DVC points. We live in NJ and are concerned the virus will spike again and we will be either quarantined again or be under restricted travel. When you rent DVC there are no refunds, so we are looking into travel insurance. Has anyone ever purchased travel insurance and could possibly give some advice??
Do. not. do. it.

You can book a cash stay within your budget at Disney or a hotel and with a simple *click* cancel your reservation. With insurance, renting points, you are looking at hours and hours of headaches with people that will not want to give you money.

I'm with the above...DON'T do it!! Our trip insurance doesn't cover it and EVEN IF OUR RESORT WAS CLOSED the company we used will not refund our money. I'm so sad and disappointed in the experience after all the rave reviews. This was our first time ever splurging on a deluxe resort and all I got was a large donation to some DVC owner somewhere. Book directly through Disney and if you need to cancel you can just cancel.

I'm with the above...DON'T do it!! Our trip insurance doesn't cover it and EVEN IF OUR RESORT WAS CLOSED the company we used will not refund our money. I'm so sad and disappointed in the experience after all the rave reviews. This was our first time ever splurging on a deluxe resort and all I got was a large donation to some DVC owner somewhere. Book directly through Disney and if you need to cancel you can just cancel.
I’m sorry this happened to you. It is possible the company kept the funds as most owners gave the money back.... It was then kept by the company to fund a ‘voucher’

I’m sorry this happened to you. It is possible the company kept the funds as most owners gave the money back.... It was then kept by the company to fund a ‘voucher’
Except for those with companies that didn't get vouchers.

Thank you. I'm trying hard to just accept it for what it is but it's been tough. It was a lot of money. The hardest part is that I've always been perfectly happy staying at one of our moderate resorts but we wanted to test out if a DVC resort was worth it as we've considered buying for a few years. We've even had Disney's awesome cancellation policy work in our favor when we got the call about our adopted daughter two days before our scheduled trip a few years ago. I feel very duped and wish I had just been happy with what we'd always loved.
Anyhow, I'm going to try contacting the store again and see what is possible. Last I heard from other renters with the same store there was no flexibility being given. What I know right now is that our money is sitting in an account and hasn't even been paid out to the owner. It's all very upsetting since we could use that money to get our daughter something to play on here at our house instead since it looks like Disney trips aren't in our cards for a couple of years.

Thank you. I'm trying hard to just accept it for what it is but it's been tough. It was a lot of money. The hardest part is that I've always been perfectly happy staying at one of our moderate resorts but we wanted to test out if a DVC resort was worth it as we've considered buying for a few years. We've even had Disney's awesome cancellation policy work in our favor when we got the call about our adopted daughter two days before our scheduled trip a few years ago. I feel very duped and wish I had just been happy with what we'd always loved.
Anyhow, I'm going to try contacting the store again and see what is possible. Last I heard from other renters with the same store there was no flexibility being given. What I know right now is that our money is sitting in an account and hasn't even been paid out to the owner. It's all very upsetting since we could use that money to get our daughter something to play on here at our house instead since it looks like Disney trips aren't in our cards for a couple of years.
Ouch, that’s a really hard pill to swallow. I hope someone is able to sublet it from the rental company .

Will this break the rental market now? I know I will never rent points because of this.

Will this break the rental market now? I know I will never rent points because of this.

I think for the next year the rental market is going to take a hit...some because renters lost money, some because owners don’t want to deal with this again, but more importantly, I think the Disney discounts for cash stays will make the savings...when you consider travel insurance costs...small enough that it is not enough to get into something that can’t be changed or canceled like a WDW room can be.

Right now, they have AP discounts at 40%...

I think for the next year the rental market is going to take a hit...some because renters lost money, some because owners don’t want to deal with this again, but more importantly, I think the Disney discounts for cash stays will make the savings...when you consider travel insurance costs...small enough that it is not enough to get into something that can’t be changed or canceled like a WDW room can be.

Right now, they have AP discounts at 40%...
So most people who had travel insurance are not getting paid for their claim?

So most people who had travel insurance are not getting paid for their claim?

Nope. Now, there have been quite a few successful chargebacks from CC foe renters who went through a broker.

But, now that resorts are open, renters are stuck and will lose their money if they just don’t feel comfortable going.

I know I have read several threads from renters who will never do it again.

In terms of insurance, most don’t cover pandemics. And, even CFAR insurance has been tough and not many reports of people getting paid from those either.

Nope. Now, there have been quite a few successful chargebacks from CC foe renters who went through a broker.

But, now that resorts are open, renters are stuck and will lose their money if they just don’t feel comfortable going.

I know I have read several threads from renters who will never do it again.

In terms of insurance, most don’t cover pandemics. And, even CFAR insurance has been tough and not many reports of people getting paid from those either.
Sooooo very eye opening. Renting points would have been something I would have considered doing in the future. And I might still think about it if I just needed like one night before a cruise. But that would be the most I would risk.

Sooooo very eye opening. Renting points would have been something I would have considered doing in the future. And I might still think about it if I just needed like one night before a cruise. But that would be the most I would risk.

The landscape has definitely changed now with this and it will take time, IMO, for it to come back.

I won’t get involved in it again, especially through a broker.

Plus many of the brokers now have stacks and stacks of cheapo reservations for sale that may not get taken. If the reservation doesn't get resold before it expires, they may still owe the points owner their 30%. So the brokers may still have to come up with a vacation so the renter can use their voucher the broker gave them. And the vouchers have strings attached to them.

I made a $1800 donation to a DVC member. The moral thing to do would be to refund half and we both take part of the loss. I will never rent points again after this experience. When we buy I won't be an owner who does this to people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!