Travel with Lightsaber.

joy@disney

DisneyMania
Has anyone transported a lightsaber they made at Savi’s Workshop back home on a plane? Did you carry it on, put it in your checked luggage? Need help getting our home in one piece.

Think there were some prior threads on this topic. If it fits in your luggage (or can be disassembled in some way to make it shorter so it fits) would probably be the best option. You can wrap some of your clothing around it so the toy doesn't get damaged in transit.

Even if Orlando airport lets you carry it, seems there is far greater chance for damage if you accidently sit on it or bang it into something during the trip.

There is a thread in the SWGE forum. But we carried ours on. TSA is used to seeing them at this point and they are approved. It comes in a "pool noodle" type carrying case to help provide some protection. You can fit it in the overhead bins or some flight attendants will allow you to have them next to your seat if you have a window seat.

In the SWGE forum someone was also saying that cast members had started offering shipping services and making it clearer where to go/how to go about that while you're still in the park. But yes, so far people have been reporting that they've been able to take them as carry-on--I'm guessing since it's so long and has to go in the overhead that it might count as your carry-on bag rather than your personal item. Not sure, but I'd personally avoid bringing anything else that wouldn't fit under the seat if I were carrying on a lightsaber, just in case.

I may be wrong; if someone else has done it and knows more, please chime in!

Thanks for the replies. My son carried his on. No problems at security. Then he had a window seat and just put it right next to him between the wall and the seat. Flight attendant didn’t even question it.

So I had a small roll on suitcase that I stuck it in and it was sticking out at least 2.5 feet as well as a backpack. Once I got on the plane I removed the lightsaber and put it in the overhead bin (living dangerously I know). I did this on two legs of a flight. Yes the bins were full of heavy stuff including my own roller suitcase and the lightsaber survived perfectly. Those cases they give you really protect it well.

Last week I carried mine as a personal item. Fit lengthwise in the overhead bin all the way to the back.

So I had a small roll on suitcase that I stuck it in and it was sticking out at least 2.5 feet as well as a backpack. Once I got on the plane I removed the lightsaber and put it in the overhead bin (living dangerously I know). I did this on two legs of a flight. Yes the bins were full of heavy stuff including my own roller suitcase and the lightsaber survived perfectly. Those cases they give you really protect it well.
Glad it made it home safely. We were afraid to put it in the overhead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter