Traveling from DL to Disney Studios (Burbank)

naoboo

Earning My Ears
After many years of saving my points, I was able to book a Disney Studios tour through Disney Movie Rewards. My whole family has decided to use it as an excuse to visit Disneyland as well. Since most of the week will be spent at the parks, we’ll be staying in that area.

The tour is on a Monday morning in February at 10am. I’ve checked directions from Disneyland to the studios lot around the same time of day and the travel time estimate is about an hour. Does that sound right? Would 8:30 be a good time to leave or would sooner be better? Is Uber/Lyft a decent option, or would a driver not want to go that far?

The traffic where I’m from is nothing compared to the L.A. area and I’m the type of person who has to be places at least 15 minutes early, so I’m already mildly stressing out about this.

I would say it's an hour without traffic from Anaheim to Burbank (via I5). I suggest using Google Maps at 8:30am w/ your route and seeing the estimated time. Going through downtown LA will be a nightmare. I wouldn't be surprised if it's over 2 hours at that time.

I'd give yourself as much time as you can. Maybe leave by 7:30 just to be safe. LA rush hour traffic is no joke. While it's not actually all that far, the traffic is unbelievable there. Highways 7 lanes wide in each direction can still have bumper-to-bumper or standstill traffic at rush hour.

After many years of saving my points, I was able to book a Disney Studios tour through Disney Movie Rewards. My whole family has decided to use it as an excuse to visit Disneyland as well. Since most of the week will be spent at the parks, we’ll be staying in that area.

The tour is on a Monday morning in February at 10am. I’ve checked directions from Disneyland to the studios lot around the same time of day and the travel time estimate is about an hour. Does that sound right? Would 8:30 be a good time to leave or would sooner be better? Is Uber/Lyft a decent option, or would a driver not want to go that far?

The traffic where I’m from is nothing compared to the L.A. area and I’m the type of person who has to be places at least 15 minutes early, so I’m already mildly stressing out about this.

Oh god no. It will not be an hour. It's 45 minutes without traffic. Going toward LA on a weekday you will be in bumper to bumper traffic the entire way. If you leave at 8:30 you will be LATE.

Google Maps has the ability to estimate travel times taking into account project traffic. Using it for Monday, November 18th, it recommends leaving Disneyland at 8:30am to get there at 9:45am. It estimates 39 minutes right now with zero traffic so it is adding around 35 minutes for traffic at that time.

Google Maps has the ability to estimate travel times taking into account project traffic. Using it for Monday, November 18th, it recommends leaving Disneyland at 8:30am to get there at 9:45am. It estimates 39 minutes right now with zero traffic so it is adding around 35 minutes for traffic at that time.

Google maps frequently underestimates extremely heavy traffic.

I’d say that 90 minutes is the minimum time to allot for this journey, if only so you’re not stressed if you have to cut it close. And there’s a fair chance that you will. And as to Uber vs a rental, it might be best to book a rental. A round trip Uber will likely run well over $100. If you decide to rent, why not treat yourself to a Jaguar, Porsche, Tesla, etc, via Turo.com? I’ve used them three or four times for cool cars and it’s always been a breeze and a blast ;-).

I'd probably be on the road by 7 even. 7:30 at the very latest. We've done that trip around that time - easily 2 hours, and I didn't even think the traffic was that bad.

I'm following because i have enough points as well and was considering it. I'm the same as you; i need to be early everywhere and traffic stresses me out! I can't wait to hear how everything works out for you! i have faith that it will.

With LA traffic it is better to be safe than sorry. Leave early. You never can tell, and it may not take that long, but I wouldn't risk it.

Also, enjoy that tour!

As others have said, it will be horrible traffic. Leave by 7 to be safe. Also, I would definitely rent a car instead of Uber. Personally I would not like to be stuck in traffic with a stranger for that long.

Thanks for the replies, everybody! You’ve all been very helpful.

Some of the people going with me struggle to leave places on time so I’ll probably insist on leaving at 7 and hoping we’re on the road by 7:45.

Edit: Actually, after re-reading some of y'alls responses, maybe I'll insist on leaving at 6:30...

Thanks for the replies, everybody! You’ve all been very helpful.

Some of the people going with me struggle to leave places on time so I’ll probably insist on leaving at 7 and hoping we’re on the road by 7:45.

Edit: Actually, after re-reading some of y'alls responses, maybe I'll insist on leaving at 6:30...

LA traffic stinks, and the only thing predictable about it is that it stinks

If by any chance you get there too early you can get breakfast at Bob’s Big Boy down the street from the Studios.

Have fun! That’s my old stomping grounds. 😊

I'm following because i have enough points as well and was considering it. I'm the same as you; i need to be early everywhere and traffic stresses me out! I can't wait to hear how everything works out for you! i have faith that it will.
Do it! You and your son will love it! (Wear comfortable shoes and bring a sun hat if the weather is warm!) When you are ready to book your tour, think about flying in to BUR and staying the night in the Burbank area (very close to the Studios). That area is also fairly close to USH, If spending a day there is of any interest. Or you might want to add on a WB Studio tour for comparison and contrast. Then drive/Uber/use public transport/etc. to get to DLR and fly out of SNA. That would be one way to do your tour, avoid having to deal with rush hour traffic on the morning of your tour, maybe do some fun things in the Hollywood area before heading to DLR, and have a very easy commute to the airport before flying home. Just some thoughts...

You might consider booking a hotel near Burbank just for the night before. We were just in both areas this summer. Heading that way we got lucky and didn't hit heavy traffic the whole way and it took us about an hour and fifteen minutes. We were no where near any rush hour time. We were going the opposite direction at about 2:00 in the afternoon and it took us 2 1/2 hours. That time of the morning on a Monday- I wouldn't be surprised if it takes you well over two hours. It is very stressful when you are trying to get somewhere and you get stuck in that traffic. We rented a car for the part of our trip near Universal/Warner Brothers/Burbank-- but we did Uber around the DLR/Newport area and we asked the drivers about where they drove and how far they went-- and we did have a couple tell us when the traffic is really bad they will turn down trips to go to that area.

You might consider booking a hotel near Burbank just for the night before. We were just in both areas this summer. Heading that way we got lucky and didn't hit heavy traffic the whole way and it took us about an hour and fifteen minutes. We were no where near any rush hour time. We were going the opposite direction at about 2:00 in the afternoon and it took us 2 1/2 hours. That time of the morning on a Monday- I wouldn't be surprised if it takes you well over two hours. It is very stressful when you are trying to get somewhere and you get stuck in that traffic. We rented a car for the part of our trip near Universal/Warner Brothers/Burbank-- but we did Uber around the DLR/Newport area and we asked the drivers about where they drove and how far they went-- and we did have a couple tell us when the traffic is really bad they will turn down trips to go to that area.

That was my original plan, when it was likely just going to be me and one other adult. Now we've got four kiddos going, one of whom will just barely be under one year old at the time of the trip. None of them will be old enough to go on the tour. I'd rather have us adults going on the tour deal with the headache of L.A. traffic than the unpacking, repacking, and transportation involved with kids that young. I am rethinking the idea to get Goofy's Kitchen reservations for that night though. I'd rather only stress about making it to one thing that day.

I do really appreciate the info - I figured Uber/Lyft wasn't the best idea, and knowing some drivers won't want to do it helps a lot.

If no one in my family is comfortable with driving we might just use a town car service. We've had good experiences with those before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter