• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling to Disney World with our blind daughter.

All you have to do is watch a 17 month old who could care less whether she's blind or not, and a four year old who care less she's blind either, and it really hits home just how normal life can be, sighted or not sighted! :rotfl: :rotfl: She can hear him coming a mile away, and man does she hoard toys at the very *thought* he might be coming to take something she's playing with. :rotfl:

I LOVE that - it is SO true! :rotfl: My daughter was born with her sight and we found out when she was 6 years old that she was losing her sight due to RP. She is now 9.

The first thing we wanted to do was travel & show her the world and all kinds of things while she can still see. On one trip, we were in Hawaii and her father and I were oohing and ahhing over the sights and trying to point things out and get the kids into it. My two girls were in the backseat playing Polly Pockets and couldn't care any less about what we were seeing & trying to show them! We learned a bit of a lesson on that trip. She is just a kid - a normal kid, special in so many ways, but just a kid!! We still laugh over that one because we spent a fortune going where she wanted to go, but she would have rather been in the hotel room playing with her sister!!

We met a lot of VERY SWEET Hawaiian people, but they all had so much pity for us and our daughter, too. Asked a lot of questions and were all so concerned. I think that just must be a normal reaction when people see a child that they think will have a tougher time of things.

Live & learn always!!

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

My two girls were in the backseat playing Polly Pockets and couldn't care any less about what we were seeing & trying to show them! We learned a bit of a lesson on that trip. She is just a kid - a normal kid, special in so many ways, but just a kid!! We still laugh over that one because we spent a fortune going where she wanted to go, but she would have rather been in the hotel room playing with her sister!!
:rotfl:

I think it's wonderful that despite the sadness and hardships that sometimes come with understanding our children have disabilities, we learn to see our kids for who they are and realize that their disability doesn't change *who they are* even if it changes what they can do.

I also agree that most people who make comments are very well meaning. They want to connect in some way or be helpful, they have kind hearts...they just don't have the experience enough to know that they really are just normal kids.

I've really appreciated the wonderful thoughts in this thread. We leave in less than a week and I find I'm getting more and more excited knowing that we are all going to have a great time. :Pinkbounc This thread has lessened a lot of my anxiety and given us some great pointers on things that she might especially enjoy!
:-)

I've really appreciated the wonderful thoughts in this thread. We leave in less than a week and I find I'm getting more and more excited knowing that we are all going to have a great time. :Pinkbounc This thread has lessened a lot of my anxiety and given us some great pointers on things that she might especially enjoy!
:-)
[/QUOTE]

Have a FAB"uL"OUS time!!! :wizard: Wishing you tons of magic!!!!

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

Oh that's just awful about the things said... I can understand (like a previous poster said) that they are just not meaning to come across like they do and have kind hearts/etc. -but now I can see how that would be upsetting, especially for a young child. :( I'm so glad I've never said any of those things! I used to have a blind friend at the school I went to when I was in 3rd grade- and maybe that's helped me to not think any differently of a blind person/child than any other. I just did not pay attention to or care that she was blind. :)
The only child I've seen since then that I've actually had the chance to talk to the parent (ironically also in line at a store) that it was clear she was totally blind... I kept my mouth shut, smiled at the mom and then leaned down to the girl (probably about 5yrs old) and told her what a beautiful girl she was. That's all I said and she was all smiles beaming at me even though she couldn't see me. (and had perfect manners might I add- said "thank you very much, maam! You're pretty too!" -THAT was when I almost cried... but I didn't say anything else!) :goodvibes

I'm wondering if you might could get some special meet and greet times for your DD where she could have time to touch and feel a few of her favorite characters. Remember only face characters talk tho.
I was thinking along those lines. If you can't get a special meet and greet- maybe you could let the character's CM "helper" know about your daughter so they could allow her a little extra time and allow her to touch/feel more. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter