Traveling to Memphis with a 10 Year Old...

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
My daughter is currently in school virtually and her music lesson last week was all about Elvis. And now she really wants to go to Memphis. We are in Kentucky so it's not unreasonable, and it's a place her Daddy and I have never been to as well. Also, her birthday is in October (Turning 10) and no party this year....we have considered a long weekend in Memphis to get away, celebrate her birthday, and see the sites. Granted, with the pandemic this is all questionable and not certain, but if we did make this trip, does anyone have any suggestions for motel/hotels and the "must do's"? I know there seem to be a lot of cool lodging there, but I was wondering which would pertain the most to a child or be the best centrally located for things we may do. When she was 18 months old we stayed at the Peabody Orlando, which was super fun with the ducks, but of course she was too young to remember it. Do they do the duck marches right now, anyone know? I know there is also the Big Cypress Lodge, how is that? Somethings that come in mind to visit are Graceland of course, Civil Rights museum, and perhaps the zoo. Any other suggestions?

The Peabody is nice but I don’t know if they are doing the ducks right now. Big Cypress Lodge is at The Pyramid which they turned into a Bass Pro. That is next to Mud Island which is very nice.

Here is the thing about Graceland...it is in a terrible neighborhood and in reality, the majority of Memphis is a terrible neighborhood.

Personally, if you’re going to go then I would stay somewhere in East Memphis or Germantown.

Hi, Melissa. I'm a Memphis local, but I'm also not one wo really recommend it as a travel destination, ha ha!

Seriously though, it sounds like a good trip. If your daughter is into Music, I'd recommend the Stax Museum as it has a lot of recording history from the early rock and roll days. It's more of a museum than Sun Studios, which is more of a small tour. Visiting Graceland is fine, but I wouldn't stay in that area. Downtown has really experienced a renaissance lately and is mostly pretty safe around the Civil Rights Museum (super hipster area now). The Bass Pro is more fun than it sounds and has live animal exhibits, several restaurants, etc. The inside has bridges over water and stuff. That may be a fun, themed place to stay. Contrary to what @spiders says, I wouldn't stay out east because there is really nothing to do out there! The zoo is nice and is open with masks mandated for indoor exhibits, but not outdoors, just so you know.

I had wondered about safety and honestly I tend to shy away from places that would make me nervous on vacation. We went to St Louis once and I read so many fear stories that I had a hard time relaxing and enjoying the good parts!

Is the Bass Pro near other touristy things or is it further away? Is navigating Memphis by car difficult?

As for the zoo, Kentucky has a mask mandate right now so wearing a mask is not a problem for us and we will likely wear it inside even when not required. Is the zoo also in a bad area? The two closest to us both seem like they are not in the best areas so I just wondered if that was a general zoo thing or just bad luck on our part here :)

As for Graceland, we would be fine just driving in and seeing it/touring it but not hanging around. Is that what you suggest?

And lastly if we do make this trip, how many days would you suggest? Is two full days sufficient? Would we be bored in that length of time? We have to travel through Nashville on our way so we could always have an option to travel back that way for a night also.

I had wondered about safety and honestly I tend to shy away from places that would make me nervous on vacation. We went to St Louis once and I read so many fear stories that I had a hard time relaxing and enjoying the good parts!

Is the Bass Pro near other touristy things or is it further away? Is navigating Memphis by car difficult?

As for the zoo, Kentucky has a mask mandate right now so wearing a mask is not a problem for us and we will likely wear it inside even when not required. Is the zoo also in a bad area? The two closest to us both seem like they are not in the best areas so I just wondered if that was a general zoo thing or just bad luck on our part here :)

As for Graceland, we would be fine just driving in and seeing it/touring it but not hanging around. Is that what you suggest?

And lastly if we do make this trip, how many days would you suggest? Is two full days sufficient? Would we be bored in that length of time? We have to travel through Nashville on our way so we could always have an option to travel back that way for a night also.

Memphis is like any city, there are good and bad areas and it can change quickly. I wouldn't worry though. The area around Graceland is very busy and safe, it's jsut a couple blocks away can be rough. You would drive in, park, tour comfortable and be leaving. There is a ton of security, etc. during open hours. The Zoo is in a safe area with lots of nice houses, etc. overlooking the park. It is in Midtown, which again can change quickly, but you're good at the Zoo. Seriously, do not worry about crime, etc. It's like any other city and has good and bad parts. Touristy areas during the day are generally fine.

Memphis is a very drivable town. It's about 20 minutes to anywhere using the highway system. Traffic is light, but downtown can be a little tricky. Bass Pro is downtown on the river and it is near other things with a walkable trail on the bluff. It's a bit of a hike all the way down to the Civil Right Museum/Arts District.

How many days? Aside from my wondering why you want any, ha ha, there's not a ton to do. I think a coupel of days is fine. The museums are good but not that big. You can spend a couple of hours in them at most probably. The Zoo is very nice and I'd recommend arriving very early as it gets more crowded as the day goes on. One note on Graceland, if you want to tour, you should book in advance, especially with restricted capacity right now. Also, be warned, it is pretty expensive.

Have fun!

Last edited:
We stayed across from the baseball park. Forget the name of the hotel. Walkable yo everything. We rode the street car end to end. It joes between the pyramid and the civil rights museum. We liked the Sun Studios tour. We took an Uber to Graceland.

I'd go to Memphis for the weekend and expect to have a great time. Don't over think it. Travel is one of the great gifts we can give our children.

We went to St. Louis last summer and had a blast and wish we'd had more time.

What about the hotel at Graceland? I read about it one time and wondered about it.

don't forget you paul simon music

"Graceland"

The Mississippi Delta was shining
Like a National guitar
I am following the river
Down the highway
Through the cradle of the civil war

I'm going to Graceland
Graceland
In Memphis Tennessee
I'm going to Graceland
Poorboys and Pilgrims with families
And we are going to Graceland
My traveling companion is nine years old
He is the child of my first marriage
But I've reason to believe
We both will be received
In Graceland

I took my youngest when she was 9 and she really enjoyed the trip, despite barely knowing who Elvis was (her whole association for him is Lilo & Stitch :rotfl: ). We went in July, so we camped - there's a little KOA with cabins and a nice pool just across the river in Arkansas - and went to the Civil Rights Museum, a fabulous BBQ place right near the museum, the Peabody, Graceland and the park in the river with the relief-map of the entire Mississippi River basin. That last was an unexpected hit with DD. She wanted to follow the whole length of the river walk and then rent pedal boats on the scale-model Gulf of Mexico at the end... which probably all would have been even nicer in October because it wouldn't have been quite so hot!

Memphis is not like any other city. It is easier to tell you the areas you can go to than it is to tell you the areas to avoid. Imagine a pizza slice with the narrow part leading to downtown from the east. That's pretty much it and it's a thin slice.

One day is enough and if the drive was the same, I'd point the car towards Nashville or Knoxville instead.

I took my youngest when she was 9 and she really enjoyed the trip, despite barely knowing who Elvis was (her whole association for him is Lilo & Stitch :rotfl: ). We went in July, so we camped - there's a little KOA with cabins and a nice pool just across the river in Arkansas - and went to the Civil Rights Museum, a fabulous BBQ place right near the museum, the Peabody, Graceland and the park in the river with the relief-map of the entire Mississippi River basin. That last was an unexpected hit with DD. She wanted to follow the whole length of the river walk and then rent pedal boats on the scale-model Gulf of Mexico at the end... which probably all would have been even nicer in October because it wouldn't have been quite so hot!

You'll find some fabulous BBQ places all over this town!

Memphis is not like any other city. It is easier to tell you the areas you can go to than it is to tell you the areas to avoid. Imagine a pizza slice with the narrow part leading to downtown from the east. That's pretty much it and it's a thin slice.

Come on, man, there's no need to scare anybody. It's fine, especially in all the areas they would be. Downtown did used to be pretty rough, but so much of it is gentrified now - midtown too. I mean, hipsters did take over, but they're not too threatening.

If I remember correctly the BBQ joint is Central BBQ. When my DD was in Memphis for pharmacy school, Central on Central was a huge hit with her and her classmates, so much so that most went to the one by the Museum for lunch right after graduation at the Orpheium theater.

If I remember correctly the BBQ joint is Central BBQ. When my DD was in Memphis for pharmacy school, Central on Central was a huge hit with her and her classmates, so much so that most went to the one by the Museum for lunch right after graduation at the Orpheium theater.

Some people really like Central. For me they are inconsistent, but I recomnmend the one actually on Central Avenue (Midtown) as the best one. You can also get great BBQ at Corky's, Blues City Cafe (Beale Street). Interstate, well, really any BBQ joint is gonna be a hit most likely.

Last edited:
Come on, man, there's no need to scare anybody. It's fine, especially in all the areas they would be. Downtown did used to be pretty rough, but so much of it is gentrified now - midtown too. I mean, hipsters did take over, but they're not too threatening.

I’m glad you’re happy there.

I don’t really know how to respond to someone who thinks Graceland is in a safe area. We clearly have very different perspectives.

Last edited:
I’m glad you’re happy there.

I don’t really know how to respond to someone who thinks Graceland is in a safe area. We clearly have very different perspectives.

I agree that the area around Graceland isn't very safe, but from the area containing Graceland itself is well patrolled - they don't want tourists getting robbed as that would be all over the news and it doesn't actually happen often. There's no need to scare the OP by making it osund like visiting Graceland is an unsafe thing to do. Sure, there are bad areas in Memphis, like any other city. There are also good areas, and lots of nice things. I don't have much trouble in my neighborhood.

I truly appreciate all of your comments! It gives me a lot to think about (I also admit this is also what keeps me getting me to Orlando and sucked into the Disney bubble so often... Disney just makes traveling so easy!). Now it's up to us to decide if this is an adventure we want to take or not I guess.

I did look at the price of Graceland last night and goodness I was shocked by the prices. Obviously I knew it wasn't free, but until it was mentioned here, I had no idea it was so expensive.

Is Big Cypress Lodge and Peabody relatively close at all? Which would be closer to getting meals and such? Are either walking distance to places to eat? I'm thinking more toward dinner time, if we could leave the car parked and grab something to eat would be nice. Would you suggest either of those hotels over the other? I am intrigued by BCL but it doesn't have a pool which I think might be nice for the evenings with my daughter. Or any other hotels you would recommend? It doesn't have to be a fancier one, actually less expensive would be nice, but now that I've looked into these two it's just hard to look at others :)

You'll find some fabulous BBQ places all over this town!

That's actually why we went. DD *loves* BBQ, so when I had to drop her brother off in Nashville two days before her birthday, it made a certain sort of sense to take her to Memphis for her birthday dinner. The place near the Civil Rights Museum and an Elvis-and-Lucy themed diner across the river near our campground were her two favorites, but we basically ate BBQ every day. Even for brunch at some hipster-looking joint in a semi-sketchy neighborhood. Good times.

I agree that the area around Graceland isn't very safe, but from the area containing Graceland itself is well patrolled - they don't want tourists getting robbed as that would be all over the news and it doesn't actually happen often. There's no need to scare the OP by making it osund like visiting Graceland is an unsafe thing to do. Sure, there are bad areas in Memphis, like any other city. There are also good areas, and lots of nice things. I don't have much trouble in my neighborhood.

Memphis kind of reminded me of Detroit around the millennium. It has that same edgy vibe, as though the bad areas are just around the corner, but also the big contrast between the places tourists go that are lively, well lit and have visible police/security patrols, and the parts of the city where the locals live. Since Detroit is my hometown, that wasn't off-putting to me... but it made me think that Memphis probably also has more than its fair share of suburbanites who don't venture into the dangerous city because we certainly have plenty of those around here.

That's actually why we went. DD *loves* BBQ, so when I had to drop her brother off in Nashville two days before her birthday, it made a certain sort of sense to take her to Memphis for her birthday dinner. The place near the Civil Rights Museum and an Elvis-and-Lucy themed diner across the river near our campground were her two favorites, but we basically ate BBQ every day. Even for brunch at some hipster-looking joint in a semi-sketchy neighborhood. Good times.

Memphis kind of reminded me of Detroit around the millennium. It has that same edgy vibe, as though the bad areas are just around the corner, but also the big contrast between the places tourists go that are lively, well lit and have visible police/security patrols, and the parts of the city where the locals live. Since Detroit is my hometown, that wasn't off-putting to me... but it made me think that Memphis probably also has more than its fair share of suburbanites who don't venture into the dangerous city because we certainly have plenty of those around here.

Which hipster place was it? I am curious. It is Central that is near the Civil Rights Museum, but it's not the original Central on Central Ave.

We do have sprawling suburbs, but I don't think the attitude is to never go into the city. That wouldn't really work around here anyway as everything is in the city. Maybe in some of the more outlying areas they don't, but the adjacent towns (Bartlett, Germantown) they probably do.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter