Traveling to Memphis with a 10 Year Old...

Yeah, like a block away. There are other hotels right in that area and it is generally safe. It may be a little noisy on a weekend night.
I looked and we stayed at the doubletree. Hop skip and a jump from Beale Street which felt perfectly safe to me. Funny thing, auto zone park is a St. Louis Cardinals affiliate if I’m not mistaken. There was a game going on and my friend thought for sure I would want to go since I’m a big baseball fan. She couldn’t grasp the rivalry between the reds and the cardinals. Although if it was duke vs UK she sure would have.

I looked and we stayed at the doubletree. Hop skip and a jump from Beale Street which felt perfectly safe to me. Funny thing, auto zone park is a St. Louis Cardinals affiliate if I’m not mistaken. There was a game going on and my friend thought for sure I would want to go since I’m a big baseball fan. She couldn’t grasp the rivalry between the reds and the cardinals. Although if it was duke vs UK she sure would have.

That's a nice ballpark and the Redbirds are indeed a Cardinals affiliate. They also play some minor league soccer there now too. I'm not a big baseball fan, but it's fun to go sometimes just to enjoy the atmosphere and some BBQ Nachos!

The DoubleTree is a good location, right near the Peabody. There is a new Canopy hotel on the other corner (across from the ballpark on the west side) now too that should be quite nice and a Hilton Garden Inn where the old bus station was. Full disclosure, I do work for Hilton and this is not an ad or anything, it's just nice to see that area being built up nicely. Downtown Memphis is undergoing a hipster renaissance. I'm not really a hipster type, but I will admit that they do know great food!

Which hipster place was it? I am curious. T is Central that is near the Civil Rights Museum,b ut it's not the original Central on Central Ave.

We do have sprawling suburbs, but I don't think the attitude is to never go into the city. That wouldn't really work around here anyway as everything is in the city. Maybe in some of the more outlying areas they don't, but the adjacent towns (Bartlett, Germantown) they probably do.

I don't remember the names, and somehow I didn't location-tag my pictures from the first day. I blame the overnight drive - we left Detroit in the evening, dropped DS off in suburban Nashville with his best friend just as the sun was coming up, and picked our brunch restaurant based on what was open when we got into the city. But they had a BBQ brisket hash that was amazing.

The BBQ place where we had the dinner she really liked was Central - I did tag locations in those pictures, so I was able to go back and check.

I agree that the area around Graceland isn't very safe, but from the area containing Graceland itself is well patrolled - they don't want tourists getting robbed as that would be all over the news and it doesn't actually happen often. There's no need to scare the OP by making it osund like visiting Graceland is an unsafe thing to do. Sure, there are bad areas in Memphis, like any other city. There are also good areas, and lots of nice things. I don't have much trouble in my neighborhood.

I am not trying to scare the OP. I am saying the same things that I told any of my friends and family when I lived there. Memphis has crime like everywhere else, but it has a lot more of it per capita. I was in a solid majority at work who were always trying to transfer out at the first opportunity.

Back to topic: I would definitely stay at The Peabody over Big Cypress.

I don't remember the names, and somehow I didn't location-tag my pictures from the first day. I blame the overnight drive - we left Detroit in the evening, dropped DS off in suburban Nashville with his best friend just as the sun was coming up, and picked our brunch restaurant based on what was open when we got into the city. But they had a BBQ brisket hash that was amazing.

The BBQ place where we had the dinner she really liked was Central - I did tag locations in those pictures, so I was able to go back and check.

Based on that I am going to guess it was Loflin Yard, which isn't strictly a BBQ place but does have brunch and brisket hash. "Hipster place in a semi-sketchy neighborhood" suits it too. I've actually never been but I know of it.

Hi, Melissa. I'm a Memphis local, but I'm also not one wo really recommend it as a travel destination, ha ha!

Seriously though, it sounds like a good trip. If your daughter is into Music, I'd recommend the Stax Museum as it has a lot of recording history from the early rock and roll days. It's more of a museum than Sun Studios, which is more of a small tour. Visiting Graceland is fine, but I wouldn't stay in that area. Downtown has really experienced a renaissance lately and is mostly pretty safe around the Civil Rights Museum (super hipster area now). The Bass Pro is more fun than it sounds and has live animal exhibits, several restaurants, etc. The inside has bridges over water and stuff. That may be a fun, themed place to stay. Contrary to what @spiders says, I wouldn't stay out east because there is really nothing to do out there! The zoo is nice and is open with masks mandated for indoor exhibits, but not outdoors, just so you know.
I want to reiterate what Brian said, I actually grew up in Memphis before moving to FL about 9 years ago. I got engaged at the Memphis Zoo and would highly recommend giving that a visit! Also, Hi Brian! Don't see many Memphis people around here!

I want to reiterate what Brian said, I actually grew up in Memphis before moving to FL about 9 years ago. I got engaged at the Memphis Zoo and would highly recommend giving that a visit! Also, Hi Brian! Don't see many Memphis people around here!

There's only a few of us Memphians on here. Greetings from your home town!

Memphis is definitely an easily drivable city, but there are lots of things to walk to if you stay downtown. The Peabody is walkable to a lot of restaurants, and Beale Street, etc. I do believe they are still doing the duck walks right now. You can walk or take the trolley to the Civil Rights Museum. As others mentioned, visiting Graceland is fine and safe, it’s just better to not stay in a hotel nearby. The zoo is awesome. There is also the Children’s Museum of Memphis and “My Big Backyard“ at the Memphis Botanical Garden that have things for kids as well. https://www.memphisbotanicgarden.com/mybigbackyard

Which hipster place was it? I am curious. It is Central that is near the Civil Rights Museum, but it's not the original Central on Central Ave.

We do have sprawling suburbs, but I don't think the attitude is to never go into the city. That wouldn't really work around here anyway as everything is in the city. Maybe in some of the more outlying areas they don't, but the adjacent towns (Bartlett, Germantown) they probably do.

I grew up in Germantown, and my parents still live in my childhood home. People from Germantown very rarely venture downtown. We sure do whenever we visit, which is often, but my family and all my friends who live there do not.

I grew up in Germantown, and my parents still live in my childhood home. People from Germantown very rarely venture downtown. We sure do whenever we visit, which is often, but my family and all my friends who live there do not.

Well, is that because they feel unsafe though, or just because they don't want to. I rarely go downtown either, but not because of crime or anything.

Probably a little of both.

Fair enough. It is getting better though. I avoid Downtown so much but I had gone down to the new movie theater by the train station and I was amazed at how much nicer it is in that area now. Ten years ago I wouldn't have felt safe, but not anymore.

Memphis is not like any other city. It is easier to tell you the areas you can go to than it is to tell you the areas to avoid. Imagine a pizza slice with the narrow part leading to downtown from the east. That's pretty much it and it's a thin slice.

We live in the suburbs outside of Memphis, and were taught to think of it as a clock. Where areas between 2-5 are safe to live, especially the further you get away from the is city center. Although mid-town where the zoo is, is usually safe, as are parts of Riverfront in downtown. Just be mindful of your purse and surroundings.

Some people really like Central. For me they are inconsistent, but I recomnmend the one actually on Central Avenue (Midtown) as the best one. You can also get great BBQ at Corky's, Blues City Cafe (Beale Street). Interstate, well, really any BBQ joint is gonna be a hit most likely.
Central on Central is the best out of the Central BBQ locations, but parking is horrible. There is a Central BBQ behind the Civil Rights Museum that's fine. But my preference is Germantown Commissary.

As for what to do, the Bass Pro Pyramid is fun to check out. Alligators, fish, taxidermist animals. It's part of the experience. You can also walk along the river too. My kids really enjoy the Memphis Zoo. Masks are recommended and arrive early. There's also the Pink Palace Museum which is great for families. It's in a safe part of town and has exhibits for all ages. In October they have Zoo Boo which is a hard ticket event. They also have Zoo Lights for Christmas.

Graceland is in a sketchy area. The few times that we've gone we go at opening. The tour is a one and done, but there are a few museums on site as well.

Although we had a car, we took an Uber to sun studios and from there took a shuttle bus of some sort to Graceland. We did Graceland first then actually toured sun studios when we returned. I was tired by the time we got to the studio but we were glad we did the tour.

Central BBQ is the best! I went to Memphis a few years ago and someone told me to eat there. I definitely wasn’t disappointed!

and a Hilton Garden Inn where the old bus station was

When searching, would this be the Hilton Garden Inn Memphis Downtown?

The DoubleTree is a good location, right near the Peabody

And is this the The DoubleTree Hotel Memphis?

Definitely like these prices over the Bass Pro and Peabody :) And is this Double Tree and Garden Inn in a safe area?

Full Disclosure, DH tells me this weekend he will go, but just really not interested :( So I don't know where we are on this. I admit Memphis was never on my bucket list but you all have been great to provide info and the more I investigated the more interested I got.

When searching, would this be the Hilton Garden Inn Memphis Downtown?

And is this the The DoubleTree Hotel Memphis?

Definitely like these prices over the Bass Pro and Peabody :) And is this Double Tree and Garden Inn in a safe area?

Full Disclosure, DH tells me this weekend he will go, but just really not interested :( So I don't know where we are on this. I admit Memphis was never on my bucket list but you all have been great to provide info and the more I investigated the more interested I got.

That is the Garden Inn but the DoubleTree should be called Memphis Downtown as there is another DoubleTree that is in the East Memphis area that is a little away from the touristy stuff (though it is close to Corky's BBQ and Gibsons Donuts!). Stating again per policy, I do work for Hilton Hotels.

That area Downtown near the ballpark (Autozone Park) is generally safe. The Peabody is right there too along with lots of restaurants. This is where you will see a lot of the horse-drawn carraiges and stuff and you could easily pop into the Peabody lobby to see the ducks. Main Street with the trolley line is a block away too.

Here is the thing about Graceland...it is in a terrible neighborhood and in reality, the majority of Memphis is a terrible neighborhood.

Personally, if you’re going to go then I would stay somewhere in East Memphis or Germantown.

when my daughter and I were on our road trip we stopped in Memphis and was really taken back-certainly not what I was expecting lol, reminded me of the south Bronx in NY. We did like Nashville TN but would not make another trip to Memphis.

Last edited:
A few years ago we stayed at Hampton Inn & Suites Memphis-Beale Street and thought that it was nice. It’s right on Beale Street but the volume was not bad. You're in the downtown area. Depending on what's open there's plenty of nice places to eat in downtown. My personal favorite is the Majestic Grill.

Memphis has its good and bad parts of town. Like when traveling in any city you need to be aware of your personal surroundings and make smart choices. You avoid sketchy areas, gas stations after dark (especially in questionable areas), and keep your vehicle doors locked at all times. On the news yesterday was a report of an attempted carjacking in a safer part of the city, so crime is everywhere.

Another activity to do in a safe area is Shelby Farms Park. If you enjoy being outside then it's great. Lots of open space to walk paved walking paths and a wonderful playground. Although I'm not sure if it has reopened. Plus there's a resident herd of Bison there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter