treadmill and Galloway method?

pixxi

Mouseketeer
It's getting too cold and slick to run outside, so I'm on the treadmill. Torture!!!

I'm slow and have arthritis, bad ankle! I'm worried about the 16 min/mile for the GSC (never ran a race before). What mph on the treadmill should be my walk pace and what should be my run pace to be 15-16 min/mile? I have no idea what my mph was when I was outside, I didn't use any type of measure devices. I feel my walk pace vs someone else walk pace is more a jog pace for me, I just don't want to fail.

I don't think I can finish the race without the run/walk method.

It's had to estimate that without knowing your interval times. How long do you run and how long do you walk? Best thing is probably to just play around on the treadmill to figure it out. Most treadmills will give you an average pace.

I agree with ZellyB it is hard to say. For a 16 min/mile you need an average MPH of 3.75 mph. So depending on your splits you need to average out to that.

Remember rundisney says to train for a 15 mm so you may want to bump it up to 4.0. and also incline at least to 1. I have trained for a half on the TM. Yes all training runs. Pop in a movie and enjoy. I also did a 14 mile run training for a full :sad2:
So glad tomorrow is going to be perfect for my 9 mile run.

You can adjust the settings in the app to certain minutes per mile. Then while your running, it will tell you the mph (in the upper corner) that the treadmill should be at for that portion of the workout.

Go to settings (on the bottom, second from left) then choose 5K pace. You can scroll up or down to choose the speed you want. Then while using the app note the speed it tells you for each run/walk portion.

I do all of my training on the treadmill including for my just completed dopey. I also use a run/ walk method for my longer runs. A 16 minute mile is 3.75 mph. My treadmill only does tenths of a mile so I tend to round up to 3.8 for a sixteen minute pace. I would suggest. 2 to 1 run / walk ratio in fairly short segments. Experiment with how comfortable you feel on the run segments. On the treadmill it does become a bit cumbersome to do 30 second then 15 second segments so maybe try 1 minute running and 30 seconds walking. You mentioned going at a slower pace so maybe consider running at 4.2 and walking at 3.2 or some similar variation.

I'm another treadmill trainer. On all the treadmills I've used, setting 3.8 works out to 15:46 per mile and is the slowest setting that still operates within the 16 minute per mile rule. While I do not know how accurate the treadmill is on the number of miles I actually run, I have found that the mileage tracker it does have has been sufficient to get me across the finish line. And in all but one race, my time was faster than what I trained at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter