Trees around Castle area

Sandy Fisher

DIS Veteran
Just saw a question on another discussion site about the trees near the castle. The poster said that the magnolias would be nice when they were larger, but the shade right now is scarce.
It's been a while since I've done much picture searching, but I do recall seeing a quick glimpse of the Walt and Mickey statue near the castle approach and something looked really wrong!!
Did they remove all those nice trees? Was there something wrong with them?
The glimpse I got was in a commercial and too quick to really study the background.
Thanks for any updating. I'm obviously behind on things.;)
Sandy

We were there in May and first thing we noticed was that the trees were gone.

The bummer is the shade is gone.

The nice part was the visiblity of the castle up Main Street. Got that OOOHHHH feeling again !!!

Don't know when or why, our last previous visit was July 03.

The trees in the hib were removed months ago.
I think various reasons have been given.
I still can't help but think it was to give a better view of Wishes, since some of the highlights are lower to the ground. (Not the usual skyrockets.)

Thanks for the information. Haven't been there to see Wishes yet and I guess having a better view makes sense, but it's kind of sad to remove such a pleasant shady area. We always watched the evening fireworks from the Plaza Pavillion restaurant "balcony" between Main St. and the bridge. Sounds as if that might not be as good a spot to watch Wishes.
Wish I had a trip in the works, then I could find out.:cool:
Sandy

Our tour guide for BSM said you could not see the castle anymore. Trees were here today, switched overnight and voila! Smaller ones, and instant castle! I like the WOW of the castle up main street, but miss the shade of the big trees.

I was there in November when the trees were there the day before and the next day they were gone. It was really strange to walk into MK the next day and have them gone. It took us a few minutes to figure out that they were gone.

We just got back last Monday and after reading this I realized that I did have a clear view of the "Partners" statue while we were there. I also remember sitting in the shade last year to watch "Cinderella's Surprise Celebration" but couldn't find the shade this year. I thought there had been trees there.....

So they got rid of the trees, d'you think now they could move the clouds? I could hear al ot of bangs, but couldn't see the pretty fireworks at all...

We did the same "double-take" in January this year when we were there for New Years. Looks really different!!! Especially when you compare the photos this trip to last time!!:wave2:

When I took Backstage Magic Tour last year, the tour guide mentioned that the trees had grown pretty big and they were out of proportion for the forced perspective sizing of Main Street. So maybe that was another part of the reason in addition to "Wishes?"

I noticed the missing trees in May, too. I miss the twinkling lights in those trees.

The Art of Disney stores sell a wonderful poster of the Castle with the "old" trees - with lights - in front.

Also a couple of them were diseased and the roots were coming too close to the utilidor. So they just took the oppertunuity to remove them all!

We were there in early November... trees were there. We were in their shade during Cinderella's Surprise Celebration. I'd think you could get better views of that (wonderful!) show as well now that the trees are gone. Sort of a good news/bad news proposition.

Every effort was made to safely transport the trees and transplant them in another area on property. All of the reasons for their removal have been mentioned in this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter