Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I live the county has a barking dog ordinance and if you call them they will come out and issue a warning and if it happens again they will come out again and the dog owner will then have to pay a fine.
Yeah but you have to embellish here b/c they’re not coming out for 30 min of barking.

I agree somewhat, but we stayed at the Kimpton Brice in Savannah in May and each morning we were there we were woken up before 6:00 am because of a dog barking in the hallway. I'm guessing the owner was taking the dog outside and it didn't last long, but the damage was done.
I get your point, and that can certainly be aggravating. But crying babies at 6am, running/jumping toddlers during breakfast at 7am, and loud clumsy drunkards at 1am can all lead to the same negative result. And NO, I am not saying dogs and humans are the same, obviously they are not. Noise is noise, however, and can be disruptive regardless of the source.

I get your point, and that can certainly be aggravating. But crying babies at 6am, running/jumping toddlers during breakfast at 7am, and loud clumsy drunkards at 1am serve the same negative result. And NO, I am not saying dogs and humans are the same, obviously they are not. Noise is noise, however, and can be disruptive regardless of the source.
I’ve had this type of stay at Pop Century. It was so bad that we will never stay value again. I’m sure it was isolated, but I’m not willing to risk it b/c it was this bad. It RUINED that vacation & it had nothing to do with dogs.

This is an email I sent to Disney World today. I copied a few C-Level executives and received a call a few hours later from a nice woman named Sarah -- perhaps Guest Services ? She promised that she would have the answers to my questions within seven days. I'll advise the group on the content of the answers if they arrive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote earlier to Guest Communications about the new Dog Policy, listing several concerns and received a form letter which did not answer any of my questions.

I am going to try again and expect that the questions will be answered,

I vacationed this previous summer at Disney World with my family and we had planned on making this a regular vacation place as we loved our time there and found it to be very family friendly. We were extremely disappointed to see that Disney World is now converting Art of Animation, The Yacht Club, Fort Wilderness Cabins and Port Orleans Riverside into Dog Resorts.

Now, with the roll out of a new dog-resort policy, our future vacations at Disney World are in serious doubt.

To start, the resorts that are now dog-resorts are off of our list of potential accommodations. We do not vacation at Disney World to spend time with dogs, due to concerns about cleanliness, health, safety and religious objections.

I have questions regarding the new dog-resort policy.

Previously, Disney World advised that, because of health and safety reasons, the parks and resorts would not allow dogs.

Question : What has taken place to remove all of the health and safety concerns that Disney previously held ?

Disney will now allow up to 2 dogs in a room at the aforementioned resorts with no size and breed restrictions.

Question : Does this mean that breeds such as Pit Bulls will be allowed ? They may show no signs of aggressiveness at check-in or the lobby but can lash out at any time. This strikes me as extraordinarily dangerous.

Disney states that the dogs must be " well-behaved. "

Questions: How does Disney define well-behaved ? What objective criteria will be used ? What are consequences of bad behavior and how will a Cast Member actually enforce this ?

Disney advises that dogs must be vaccinated and proof must be available on request.

Questions : What about guarding against fleas and ticks ? There is no mention of this at all. What rigorous protocols are in place to prevent dogs with fleas and ticks from coming into a resort ? Fleas and ticks bite humans and can be extremely difficult to eradicate.

Disney advises that guests can leave their dogs in rooms for up to 7 hours unattended.

Questions : How will Disney enforce this time limit ? Will there be a requirement that guests with Dogs advise the registration desk that they are leaving and will there be a timer ? What will be the consequence of a guest leaving a dog unattended for more than 7 hours ? Will time limits be rigorously monitored and enforced for all guests -- with no exceptions ?

Disney advises that guests must address concerns over a loud unattended dog within 30 minutes.
Questions : What if a guest cannot be contacted or cannot arrive at the resort within 30 minutes to address the loud, unattended dog ? What are the consequences ?

Disney advises that dogs will not be allowed in public areas, such as food courts and pools.
Questions: How will Cast Members actually enforce this ? What if a guest is walking dogs on a public walkway -- will cast members be deployed along the path with appropriate gear to remove dogs ? What about the guest that decides to bring his dogs into the food court ? Will Cast Members be deployed in the food court with appropriate gear to remove the offending dogs without delay ?

Disney advises that dogs are beloved members of the family.

Questions : This may be true for some people, but for many many people this is not the case. I would argue that for the majority, dogs are emphatically not part of the family. Please advise on the official Disney World answers to all of the following counter examples below.

Many people have allergies to dogs.
Many people have religious/cultural objections to dogs
Many people have experience based fears of dogs
Many people simply do not like dogs
Many people do not want to experience dogs on a vacation they have spent thousands of dollars on.

Please advise with specific answers to all of the above questions. I want to keep visiting Disney World, but because of this policy, I will not visit those specific resorts at all. If this is expanded across Disney World, I will not visit any Disney World Resorts.

With respect, please rescind this policy.

I feel i should state first i am a long time dog owner. Currently with a senior boxer that requires three different meds twice a day. With that said this trial thing has too many red flags. Allergies, Food, Waste, odor, ticks fleas,and noise. its not stated but im sure there is going to be restrictions on certain breeds based on weight and temperment. Ive been able to find a sitter and or board our family pet for years now. my dog has anxiety issues and will get into things if we dont gate off areas on the house. I would not want to see what she could do to a disney room.
My daughter is terrified of smaller breed dogs and to say A.O.A is a trial resort means to me one area i cant take her to in risk of her getting emotional at being near one.
Glad its a trial so disney can see everyones feedback on it.
There are, presently, no weight or breed restrictions at all.

I have been a dog owner since I was a young child. Trust me when I tell you that it is stressful placing both of our dogs in the kennel while we are in Disney for the week. It is my personal opinion that those making critical statements about Disney's trial run are both selfish and misinformed. Lets face the facts; dogs create structure and added responsibilities for their owners. I have learned that some people are just too self absorbed and selfish to share their lives with a pet(s) that depend on the love and commitment of those willing to do so. I just don't understand how Disney's decision to allow dogs in certain resorts could create so much turmoil and discomfort for non-pet owners. Remember, Disney is supposed to be the happiest place on earth for everyone, and that includes our four legged companions. I think Walt would agree.

Sorry, but wrong cigar.

I have a pet. And I have had one or two most of my life. And I enjoy my dog's company. He follows me around the house when I am here alone. And he even seems to know when I am not feeling well.

But the dog is a pet. He isn't my child. And I don't treat him like he is. He doesn't need to come on vacation with me.

He certainly wouldn't be happy being left in a strange hotel all day. And that is what Disney is allowing.

According to their rules, you (any dog owner) may bring two dogs, any size, and breed, to your resort. And when you leave for the day, it is fine for you to leave them in your room. There is suppose to be a 7 hour limit. But there is no real way to confirm when people leave and when they return. When you return, you are suppose to take them the official dog walk area. But if you have ever owned dogs, you know as well as I do, that those dogs will go when they need to go. Then those dogs, who have been left in the room all day, then get to go back into the room for the evening. Then they get to do it all over again. Talk about stressful. I can't imagine any dog wants to be left in a hotel room for hours on end, day after day, for a week or more.

Dogs are everywhere, anyway. Plenty of hotels are pet friendly, I'm sure those against have stayed at without drama or medical incidents, this will be no different. Walk down the street, people walking their dogs, do you turn and run from them??? ...it'll be no different at a resort walkway. Pets are brought on planes, you survived. Service animals have stayed in the same rooms you have stayed in, the same rooms you are now screaming about...did you even notice? Might step in dog poop?...stay off the grass, besides it already has poop on it from the various wildlife around the area. Dogs might make noise in the hotel?...how about the screaming infant at 2am! (they are not exactly there for the experience, nor will remember it, so why not leave the kid with family?), or the tantrum throwing toddler?...too tired already but the parents keep pushing them along to the next attraction in spite of the kid's misery. But dogs, right?
Chill out.

In our county it's a 20 minute rule.
Wow. Impressive. Must have some serious funding. Here you’re lucky if you get a notice weeks from now that there WAS a complaint. But it’s also b/c they have bigger fish to fry than barking dogs.

Dogs are everywhere, anyway. Plenty of hotels are pet friendly, I'm sure those against have stayed at without drama or medical incidents, this will be no different. Walk down the street, people walking their dogs, do you turn and run from them??? ...it'll be no different at a resort walkway. Pets are brought on planes, you survived. Service animals have stayed in the same rooms you have stayed in, the same rooms you are now screaming about...did you even notice? Might step in dog poop?...stay off the grass, besides it already has poop on it from the various wildlife around the area. Dogs might make noise in the hotel?...how about the screaming infant at 2am! (they are not exactly there for the experience, nor will remember it, so why not leave the kid with family?), or the tantrum throwing toddler?...too tired already but the parents keep pushing them along to the next attraction in spite of the kid's misery. But dogs, right?
Chill out.
Absolutely not. I pay big money for my pets to be taken care of so I can go away. I love my guys but this is my vacation. I refuse to "chill" - totally should have been told my "resorts" are now dog parks. I am freaking livid I have to deal with someone's dog during my expensive damn vacation. The Disney kennel is top of the line. Keep ur pooch there..I didn't pay all this freaking money to vacation with your damn dog.

Sorry, but wrong cigar.

I have a pet. And I have had one or two most of my life. And I enjoy my dog's company. He follows me around the house when I am here alone. And he even seems to know when I am not feeling well.

But the dog is a pet. He isn't my child. And I don't treat him like he is. He doesn't need to come on vacation with me.

He certainly wouldn't be happy being left in a strange hotel all day. And that is what Disney is allowing.

According to their rules, you (any dog owner) may bring two dogs, any size, and breed, to your resort. And when you leave for the day, it is fine for you to leave them in your room. There is suppose to be a 7 hour limit. But there is no real way to confirm when people leave and when they return. When you return, you are suppose to take them the official dog walk area. But if you have ever owned dogs, you know as well as I do, that those dogs will go when they need to go. Then those dogs, who have been left in the room all day, then get to go back into the room for the evening. Then they get to do it all over again. Talk about stressful. I can't imagine any dog wants to be left in a hotel room for hours on end, day after day, for a week or more.

Please consider sending your thoughts to:

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com

Chill out.
Dogs are not humans. And as much you some people would like to treat them like children or grandchildren, they, in fact are not either.

Service dogs and pets are not even remotely the same. Service dogs are trained. They are trained not to bite. They are trained not to take food from the counter. They are trained not to run off. And of course, they are not left in the room for 7 hours a day, alone. Pets can be.

Just catching up on the thread and wanted to share that I got a call back earlier today regarding the email I sent to George K. In the email I addressed the fact that I felt they did a poor job implementing the new policy and I could see how stressful the situation could be for guest that did not want to stay at a pet friendly hotel. I explained that I'm booked at Poly so it won't affect me but it was very concerning to me that they put any guest in this situation. It's bad customer service. The CM that called said she was with George K's office and that they decided to implement the policy due to the overwhelming positive response from having dogs at the resorts during the hurricane. She said there would be specific buildings for dogs and they would take care of any allergy concerns by placing those guest away from dogs. Not sure that will actually happen and I sure as heck wouldn't book a room there knowing it's pet friendly.
From the post I've read it does seem like they are trying to make it right by switching guest to other resorts. I'm in the "I'll never stay at a pet friendly resort" camp but I got the vibe that this policy is here to stay.

Dogs are not humans. And as much you some people would like to treat them like children or grandchildren, they, in fact are not either.

Service dogs and pets are not even remotely the same. Service dogs are trained. They are trained not to bite. They are trained not to take food from the counter. They are trained not to run off. And of course, they are not left in the room for 7 hours a day, alone. Pets can be.
For this policy, I think it’s irrelevant how ppl feel about their dogs. If they want to treat them like children that’s their business. WDW and other businesses have decided it’s profitable. But it’s also been mentioned how ppl have been dismissive of the concerns of ppl against the new policy, but these kinds of posts have been equally dismissive. I have every right to feel how I want to about my dogs. I have a child & know my dog isn’t my other child. But it doesn’t mean that I can’t love my dogs. I know a lot of ppl who feel the same way about their dogs & they all have children too. And contrary to what other ppl have posted, for us, the are emphatically absolutely part of our family & many other ppl’s. They’re not human that’s what makes them better than some ppl I’ve encountered! I’m not saying that I need or even want them on vacation, but I can appreciate why someone would. I think this policy makes WDW even more inclusive, not less.

Remember, Disney is supposed to be the happiest place on earth for everyone, and that includes our four legged companions. I think Walt would agree.

Cats and ferrets (two of which I have and love by the way) aren't welcome, so Disney obviously doesn't agree that all four legged creatures are family. Also how is it going to be the happiest place in the world for them when they are locked in a room for 7+ hours a a day while their owners go to the parks? That sounds like hell for a dog to me, not happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter